• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady 'GGG' Golovkin -Saturday September 16th |OT| This is Boxing

Turin

Banned
Loma v Rigo is a deceiving fight tho.

Rigo is jumping 2 divisions up and I fear he wont really be a match.

That is no way a fair fight.

I don't think that makes Rigo an easy assignment. He's used to dealing with way taller opponents. Still, I think the size difference will play a factor in the later rounds.

Sentenza

Also, the Salido loss is a huge blemish on his record.
I really don't think it is.
It was his second professional fight, against a solid and ruthless world champion who also failed to make weight and who was allowed to land a LOT of low unsanctioned low blows.

While he struggled in the beginning he was edging it more and more as the fight went on, even making Salido stumble in a couple of moments and going quite close to put him down (the referee Lawrence Cole also obviously tried his best to buy Salido time to recover).

And it was a split decision on top of that.

That's without even mentioning how much Lomachenko improved from that fight. I think anyone a bit knowledgeable about the sport should expect a rematch to be a lot more one-sided now.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I had the Salido fight as a draw. But yeah the low blows were quite something. That ref must be part of the Byrd family.

Jerm411

Great fight that lives up to the hype....check
Insane scorecard that causes controversy and will keep people talking....check
Draw which results in a even bigger rematch...check

Man good thing Vince was there, hope he was taking notes...boxing inadvertently books a better product than he does.

It was his second professional fight, against a solid and ruthless world champion who also failed to make weight and who was allowed to land a LOT of low unsanctioned low blows.

While he struggled in the beginning he was edging it more and more as the fight went on, even making Salido stumble in a couple of moments and going quite close to put him down (the referee Lawrence Cole also obviously tried his best to buy Salido time to recover).

That's without even mentioning how much Lomachenko improved from that fight. I think anyone a bit knowledgeable about the sport should expect a rematch to be a lot more one-sided now.
bad excuse, he lost to an older out of prime salido.

Syder

I don't disagree, I just think people shouldn't get carried away.

Let's see where he's at after the next fight, or in 5 fights time, or in 10 fights time.

Sentenza

bad excuse, he lost to an older out of prime salido.
An accurate recall of what happened is not an "excuse", even if you don't like to hear about it.

Anyway, the point was: he doesn't have anything to be ashamed of.
His inexperience barely lost him a fight where a lot of prospects would have been smashed.

Quazar

Get ready for a well thought out, reasoned rebuttal...

There it is.

Are you disputing compubox numbers? I'll give you that canello had short,very short flurries, but triple ggg put in the work. Could this fight went another 4 rounds ? Sure. But the cards were bogus. Do you disagree?

His responses had substance. Your point exactly.

Are you disputing compubox numbers? I'll give you that canello had short,very short flurries, but triple ggg put in the work. Could this fight went another 4 rounds ? Sure. But the cards were bogus. Do you disagree?

His responses had substance. Your point exactly.

You mean the Compubox numbers that indicate Canelo landed more power shots?

Turin

Banned
Tell me your score card.

Jackface.jpg

KahooTs

Anyone seen a publication putting their name to a Canelo win? Perhaps a Mexican one?

De La Hoya and judge Byrd are in a room of two atm.

Quazar

I have an opinion and I posted it.
Consider this your final warning - learn to disagree about boxing scorecards like a half decent human being or I'm giving you a break from this thread.

Zero percent of the replies have disputed anything factual. You think Canello won. Great. Give me round by round where you and others think so by points. And I will be glad to tell you where you were wrong. You can see how people think the fight was even, cool. The point is the 118. Bias resides.

You mean the Compubox numbers that indicate Canelo landed more power shots?

Eh, your bickering with this guy is really shitting up this thread and this is a bad argument. You wanna lean on CompuBox? It had Nelo landing 4 more power punches than Gennady, but also had Golovkin out landing him by 50 punches and doubling his jab count. I understand the feverish stance you've been taking in this thread, but citing CB betrays your argument.

Eh, your bickering with this guy is really shitting up this thread and this is a bad argument. You wanna lean on CompuBox? It had Nelo landing 4 more power punches than Gennady, but also had Golovkin out landing him by 59 punches and doubling his jab count. I understand the feverish stance you've been taking in this thread, but citing CB betrays your argument.

I don't cite Compubox. I don't lean on Compubox. I was simply pointing out that if you are going to use Compubox to try and reinforce your stance that GGG utterly dominated the fight, the power punch numbers don't jive with it. Compubox doesn't always tell the whole story, as you said.

I don't cite Compubox. I don't lean on Compubox. I was simply pointing out that if you are going to use Compubox to try and reinforce your stance that GGG utterly dominated the fight, the power punch numbers don't jive with it.

I mean, you did cite CompuBox though. And the other numbers aside from the one you cite do jive with him comfortably winning. You can't cherry-pick. I understand you're grinding an axe here, and I understand that the fight was close and CB doesn't tell the whole story, but you're the one who used a single CB stat to back a counterpoint.

In any event, you're posting like crazy and clearly heated so I'ma step back. Have a good evening bruh.

I mean, you did cite CompuBox though. And the other numbers aside from the one you cite do jive with him comfortably winning. You can't cherry-pick. I understand you're grinding an axe here, and I understand that the fight was close and CB doesn't tell the whole story, but you're the one who used a single CB stat to back a counterpoint.

In any event, you're posting like crazy and clearly heated so I'ma step back. Have a good evening bruh.

I don't cite Compubox as a metric for who should win a fight. I cited Compubox to make the point that Compubox is not some end-all/be-all metric to decide who won a fight. I'm not grinding any axe. I had GGG winning a close fight. But I can understand why some might see a round here and there going differently, which could very easily make it a draw or a Canelo win. I'm not heated. It was a fun fight to follow/watch. It's been a fun night.

TuXx

Canelo is a better overall fighter than GGG. He has more tools at his disposal and gives you variety.

His main Achilles heel has always been his stamina. If he would've retain that energy for two or three more rounds, he would've clearly won the fight, and him bulking up only exposed that weakness even further. Once he got tired, his power shots became less effective and GGG was just walking through everything and out working him.

7-5 Canelo.

I just watched this fight and that is my score too. GGG gave four of the first five rounds and only got into the fight due to Canelo goofing off. GGG was courageous in this fight to come back like he did, but he started so slow. If Canelo went to the body earlier along with his early combos, he would have finished GGG.

bud

golovkin ate all of canelo's punches like it was nothing. while canelo is the more technical and skilled boxer, golovkin is an animal. always kept pressing forward.

i had him winning it due to sheer volume of strikes, so that one 118-110 scorecard was fucking bizarre. there is absolutely no way that this is a draw.

fantastic fight.

VoxPop

I was able to catch the fight after all :)

I thought they both did an excellent job. Had the slight edge to GGG despite that unofficial 10-2 (?) score they were showing throughout. It was a close one. 118-110 is absurd but I can't really argue the draw.

Top Bottom