• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Capcom where forth art thous Capcom

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Is there a third party in all history good as Capcom?

Yes its true they are the hearts and soul of third party gaming

The amount of franchises bees making over the years is the best third party of all times my friends

c1f9d3968ab15aecd6cadd9e3c23772d.png

hyperbertha

I disagree. They are too reliant on remakes. Their games also suffer when it comes to story. Older square was better. Fromsoft is better.

slade

They were great in the nineties and early 2000's. Nowadays, Street Fighter and Resident Evil remakes are their bread and butter. I've fallen out of love with both. I understand that milking a franchise for all it was worth was always part of their DNA but sprinkled in between we got stuff like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and Onimusha. Those days are sadly long gone.

near

Gold Member
Maybe in the 90s when their IP variety was vast and the quality was amazing. Same old safe and predictable IPs today. 😴😴😴
I second this. I loooove Capcom. But let's be honest, the formula for the last few years has been:

RE sequel; RE remake; *IP sequel; RE sequel; RE Remake; IP sequel; IP port; RE Remake

As consumers, we've overlooked the fact that they aren't creating new exciting properties and spreading their portfolio wide enough, simply because of how well polished and dear their games are to us.

Shut0wen

Maybe in the 90s when their IP variety was vast and the quality was amazing. Same old safe and predictable IPs today. 😴😴😴
Was about to say this, 90s was definitely there golden era, amazing marvel games, megaman games and late 90s 3d games were all classics, now its the same old games with the exception of the new dino game which imo looks like another online dud by capcom

hyperbertha

Fromsoft has made the same game over and over again.

Capcom is the best. Where's Dante in that picture?
Then why does bloodborne, sekiro and dark souls play vastly different from each other? The re remakes have a much bigger case of being the same game, with the added caveat of being retreads of 20 year old games.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
I don't think there has been a better third party in history than Capcom...

Can we count Sega, since they're third party now or is that cheating?

Last edited:
Then why does bloodborne, sekiro and dark souls play vastly different from each other? The re remakes have a much bigger case of being the same game, with the added caveat of being retreads of 20 year old games.
Lol they dont play as differently as street fighter to devil may cry, marvel vs capcom or dragons dogma.

Comparitively...FROM is indeed releasing similar shit.

Did you start gaming in the ps3 era or something? That would explain why you arent coming to a similar conclusion.

If you are 15 to 23 years old you grew up when gamibg got shitteir and more capitalistic. FROM would be a side prohect game in say...2007. But our standards are lower now, because we get few releases and 15-23 yr olds dont know any better.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

Lol they dont play as differently as street fighter to devil may cry, marvel vs capcom or dragons dogma.

Did you start gaming in the ps3 era or something? That would explain why you arent coming to a similar conclusion.

If you are 15 to 23 years old you grew up when gamibg got shitteir and more capitalistic. FROM would be a side prohect game in say...2007. But our standards are lower now, because we get few releases and 15-23 yr olds dont know any better.
The fact is from is making higher quality games than capcom. Capcom is much larger so they can have more projects in the pipeline, and their best games currently happen to be remakes of better games.
pretty sure armored core will be vastly different than any souls like so the similarity argument doesn't fly.
I grew up playing final fantasy 7 and vagrant story so I know capcom games are weaker especially in story telling. From software has amazing storytelling through lore.

MistBreeze

Capcom is best third party publisher ever in gaming

They release great games regularly
They have varied games tps, rpg, fighters action etc

They created tps genre and character action genre

They are only second to Nintendo

They are the Nintendo of 3d gaming

Yes...and...no.
my favorite franchises looks dead for them.

Thank god they Released DMC5...And that's it.
Those unnecessary remakes (only Re1 and Re2 was good).

i was happy when they released REVII, DMC5...Then i though "well, capcom is back"...but...not really.

Fortnite 6 is fun, but not what i was expecting from a new Street Fighter game at all.

I want Sengoku Basara, Onimisha...etc...

Just my PERSONAL opinion.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Capcom somehow managed to hire developers and writers who seem to NOT actively hate the fanbase of the games they're working on.

It's an impressive turn around from the days when Inafune declared Japanese dev scene was dying, and Capcom would be better handing off franchises like Bionic Commando to western devs.

[edit] Sorry - forgot the NOT part of my original post

Last edited:

The fact is from is making higher quality games than capcom. Capcom is much larger so they can have more projects in the pipeline, and their best games currently happen to be remakes of better games.
pretty sure armored core will be vastly different than any souls like so the similarity argument doesn't fly.
I grew up playing final fantasy 7 and vagrant story so I know capcom games are weaker especially in story telling. From software has amazing storytelling through lore.
Guarantee armored core will focus around combat and boss fights. Guarantee. Thats not that much out of their wheelhouse from what they typically do.

Knightime_X

They really don't.
They're all the same game with 1 or 2 different mechanics.
Vastly different would be like going from Final fantasy 7 to Final Fantasy 13 or even 15

Last edited:

yurinka

Yes, Capcom is and mostly always has been the best.

Playing SF6 I wish they would make a true NEW ( not remake ) final fight using that engine. They nailed the look.
They are working on it. And Captain Commando (it was set in the Metro City of the futuristic year 2023) too.

Who did that art? It’s pretty sweet. I need that on a shirt.
Kinu Nishimura, it's the cover of the Capcom Design Works artbook.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
RE4 remake and RE2 remake play vastly different from each other as well. RE7 and RE8 for that matter as well
They were great in the nineties and early 2000's. Nowadays, Street Fighter and Resident Evil remakes are their bread and butter. I've fallen out of love with both. I understand that milking a franchise for all it was worth was always part of their DNA but sprinkled in between we got stuff like Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and Onimusha. Those days are sadly long gone.
Same old safe and predictable IPs today
This complaint will never make sense to me. Yes RE7, RE8, and RE2 Remake are part of the same IP.... but you can clearly see they're quite different from each other. Same as Street FIghter 4, 5 and 6. Same IP doesn't mean shit when you're constantly reinventing the wheel. Besides, we've got a new IP in Pragmata and Exoprimal to look forward to. They're still definitely taking risks

Last edited:
What game doesnt focus on combat and boss fights?
Uh...any western rpg as an equal world buildng/narrative focus as it does any sort of combat. Also bioshock, half life, shenmue, mass effect, witcher 3, cyberpunk, elder scrolls etc arent typically structured around "New Boss fight!" Around every corner like were in an arcade.

The main draw of those games isn't combat.

Every FROM game has been structured around an estus flask and bonfire of some iteration with a foggy door leading to a boss saying something incoherent before you fight them lmao. Gamers love repetition apparently

Last edited:
Top Bottom