• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Teases An Arcade Collection With Some Rare Gems

Ellis

Making it the actual logo is both fucking stupid and fucking awesome at the same time.

100% Day one for me. I don't care if it ends up being shit emulation. Good chance it will be open to software hacking that can fix any issues and limitations it might have.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

HAHAHAHAHAHAH first thing i thougt of was this...

410KWX0ZSRL.jpg

FUCK YOU CAPCOM XD

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
SelfishAdmirableAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif

That's steep, but to be fair it's a 2-player arcade megastick. If the case is well-built, it isn't completely unheard of to see prices near $300 or even going above $350.

HORI's VLX:

Length : about 570 mm
Depth : about 260 mm
Height : about 140 mm (including stick lever)
Weight : about 5.4 kg

So CAPCOM's is 17cm longer (6.6in) but a little bit shallower and a little bit shorter. This wouldn't be bad to set on top on a coffee table.

Nymphae

Banned
Wow, do not want. That's cool and all, a bit gaudy for my tastes though.

I don't understand why Capcom's fighting game division is not knocking it out of the park. They have so many different series and characters, they could be doing CvS rereleases, the Vs games, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, SF Alpha something, Red Earth, etc. etc. etc.

Man, this is a prime example of a great idea and terrible execution. That design is super ugly and I don't want an HDMI cable going from my lap to my TV. Also, while that is a really good collection of games, that's a bit pricey for that package, despite the stick and button quality.

For a second I though they were actually going to bring a bunch of Arcade only games to consoles finally, but nope, the usual suspects for the most part.

iconmaster

Banned
It's got Sanwa components and I actually love that it's the Capcom logo. (I almost said "looks like" but no; it just is the Capcom logo.)

Unless there's some ergonomic consequence I'm not foreseeing, why not?

GAMETA

Banned
It's got Sanwa components and I actually love that it's the Capcom logo. (I almost said "looks like" but no; it just is the Capcom logo.)

Unless there's some ergonomic consequence I'm not foreseeing, why not?
Because it's a giant logo attached with cables directly to your tv? I mean...

Nymphae

Banned
Talking about the ergonomics? It's a tabletop device, or it sits in your lap, so as long as it's roughly rectangular there shouldn't be any issue.

Playing by yourself could be shitty if you like to play on your lap. I don't even know how I'd use this, it would take up my entire coffee table and I need thst space, plus I'd prefer my stick on my lap.

Wonko_C

Playing by yourself could be shitty if you like to play on your lap. I don't even know how I'd use this, it would take up my entire coffee table and I need thst space, plus I'd prefer my stick on my lap.

I can't play with the stick on my lap, it ends up moving too much, my whole arms cramp and I can't get special moves out. I have to stand, like on a real arcade. Not that I would ever think about buying this, anyway.

Last edited:

Salvatron

Make a single player edition and let me use the stick for pc/ps4 fighters as well and I'm in. My eightarc fusion was around $200ish when I got it in 2012.. Been looking for a new stick and I'd be down with this gaudy shit.

Orenji Neko

Well....kind of cool and all but sadly not for me. It just isn’t quite what I’d pay that much money for. Wish it was also a compilation for PC/Console because I’d 100% buy it at release.

TacosNSalsa

SelfishAdmirableAzurewingedmagpie-size_restricted.gif

That's steep, but to be fair it's a 2-player arcade megastick. If the case is well-built, it isn't completely unheard of to see prices near $300 or even going above $350.

HORI's VLX:

Length : about 570 mm
Depth : about 260 mm
Height : about 140 mm (including stick lever)
Weight : about 5.4 kg

So CAPCOM's is 17cm longer (6.6in) but a little bit shallower and a little bit shorter. This wouldn't be bad to set on top on a coffee table.
I paid $300 of a Qanba Dragon and it doesn't even come with any games..lol. It is extremely well made though. Weighs about 12 lbs of aluminum and you can definitely club a fool to death with it! If I dropped it I would be more worried about it damaging my hardwood floors opposed to the stick it self getting damaged. If this is built with that kind of quality then $200 won't seem to bad..

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I paid $300 of a Qanba Dragon and it doesn't even come with any games..lol. It is extremely well made though. Weighs about 12 lbs of aluminum and you can definitely club a fool to death with it! If I dropped it I would be more worried about it damaging my hardwood floors opposed to the stick it self getting damaged. If this is built with that kind of quality then $200 won't seem to bad..
Right, I spent about the same for my Hori VLXs. It's worth it if the construction is solid, but we'll have to see if that is the case here.

A ~$300 two-player arcade stick that is built well enough to last a few decades isn't a bad investment if it can be hacked.

Nymphae

Banned
A ~$300 two-player arcade stick that is built well enough to last a few decades isn't a bad investment if it can be hacked.

I'd still say you're probably better off just getting two sticks and getting Fightcade up and running, then you could potentially use the sticks for other PC games and console titles as well, and they'd probably be better for modding, plus you wouldn't have to use a double wide stick if you want to play by yourself.

But I do see the appeal here, if I had unlimited cash to burn I'd probably get one just to have it.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I'd still say you're probably better off just getting two sticks and getting Fightcade up and running, then you could potentially use the sticks for other PC games and console titles as well, and they'd probably be better for modding.
This product isn't for me, personally, but if someone doesn't own an arcade stick and just wants a one-and-done (hopefully hackable) setup? This isn't a bad option.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Isn't FBA open source, though? Or even if software is open source it needs permission from the creators to be used? Sorry, I'm completely ignorant to how that stuff works.
It is, but there's a difference between using an open-source software and claiming the folllowing:

The 16 pre-installed games are from the original Capcom CPS1 and CPS2 arcade ROMs with emulation provided by FB Alpha

"Provided by" gives some sort of implication that the FB Alpha team might be aware of this product coming out, or might have some involvement with making it, kind of like M2 working with SEGA for their Mega Drive Mini, or CAPCOM working with Dimps, or Sonic Team working with Christian Whitehead for Sonic Mania.

But instead, FB Alpha wasn't even aware. If you're going to reference their team, it's only a mark of confidence if that team happens to be involved, in my opinion.

The issue of devs stealing open-source emulator code for official paid products isn't a new issue, sadly.

theHFIC

It is, but there's a difference between using an open-source software and claiming the folllowing:

"Provided by" gives some sort of implication that the FB Alpha team might be aware of this product coming out, or might have some involvement with making it, kind of like M2 working with SEGA for their Mega Drive Mini, or CAPCOM working with Dimps, or Sonic Team working with Christian Whitehead for Sonic Mania.

But instead, FB Alpha wasn't even aware. If you're going to reference their team, it's only a mark of confidence if that team happens to be involved, in my opinion.

The issue of devs stealing open-source emulator code for official paid products isn't a new issue, sadly.

Would it be acceptable if Capcom was working on it's own branch of FBA for this console and now that it is announced they can contribute the changes back to main tree? I am not sure how open source licensing works in most cases so I don't know if this would still be frowned upon.

spookyfish

Making it the actual logo is both fucking stupid and fucking awesome at the same time.

100% Day one for me. I don't care if it ends up being shit emulation. Good chance it will be open to software hacking that can fix any issues and limitations it might have.

I’m a Capcom whore — especially classic Capcom — so this *eventually* has my name on it. Dammit.

If open to hacking tho — day whenever they figure that out.

Well it's cool to see AvP and Progear finally getting home ports. Otherwise pretty basic selection and a nasty duo arcade stick at a high price. Easy pass.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Would it be acceptable if Capcom was working on it's own branch of FBA for this console and now that it is announced they can contribute the changes back to main tree? I am not sure how open source licensing works in most cases so I don't know if this would still be frowned upon.
I think that's the general idea, that if CAPCOM made any improvements it needs to be either shared or forked, but in both cases it would need to remain open-source.

I think the bigger deal (if true) is yet another big publisher got caught using the community's emulation efforts without due credit or coordination. Tweaking FB Alpha on a PC to work with your games is difficult enough. The reason why mentioning the FB Alpha team as a selling point is the implication that the emulation on the machine will be handled by professionals who know what they are doing.

However, if CAPCOM just so happens to be using FB Alpha software (without the cooperation of the team that made the emulator) because it was available, I lose some of my confidence that the emulation will be as good as it could be.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Can't be worse than the Street Fighter Arcade1UP stuff. The price is still very stupid however.

Last edited by a moderator:
Capcom be like "Guys, we got some money again. Let's do something ridiculous, like Steel Battalion $200 controller ridiculous" :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: How the fuck do you not include Power Stone 1 and 2 in that thing?

Last edited:
Talking about the ergonomics? It's a tabletop device, or it sits in your lap, so as long as it's roughly rectangular there shouldn't be any issue.

The physical dimensions were posted already, the thing is nearly 2 1/2 feet long lol. It would be super uncomfortable to play it in your lap. :messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting::messenger_grinning_squinting:

I mean, I dunno unless it splits apart in the center? I highly doubt it.

Nymphae

Banned
I mean, I dunno unless it splits apart in the center? I highly doubt it.

I don't think they beat UltraDavid's Split Box to market lol. I'm really interested in that actually. A few weeks ago on their podcast James Chen also threw in the idea of having the button side able to be rotated, so you could have both of your hands in the "handshake" position so to speak. I have wanted that for a while, thinking about building something in the future.

Last edited:

Vitacat

Horrible design. There are much nicer arcade sticks available from various manufacturers, and much better emulators as well (FBA is very old, and not as accurate as MAME).

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Sanwa parts good.

Logo design bad.

Micro USB good.

Price point bad.

WiFi good.

Game list bad.

:pie_thinking:

Given Alien vs. Predator is only game on that list I want, as I already have the rest, that I like anyway, on something else, that's a big no and yikes from me dawgs.

Also Darkstalkers 1 over 2 or 3? Ewww!

radewagon

Really liking this. I get the hate cause it's not for everyone, but having a large high quality dual stick is pretty awesome. Honestly, if the quality is anywhere near what was released by Madcatz when they did sticks for Capcom, then the case and parts alone make it close to worth the asking price.

I do agree, though, that making it compatible with current consoles as a controller would have made this a must have item. Especially if it could be compatible with Xbox and Playstation.

In any case, I'll more than likely be picking this up once they release actual photos of the product instead of just fancy renders.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This things going to be like $300-400 in Australia, isn’t it? If it even comes out here.

Top Bottom