• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Doesn't Regret Making Cyberpunk 2077 First-Person, but Has Yet to Decide on Cyberpunk Orion

Warablo

I would never actually play any gameplay in third person unless it was explicitly designed that way for it. Toggles for me are usually just for exploring or checking what your character looks like.

GTA had a toggle but it was helpful when navigating tight interiors in first person. Mostly because the camera/controls can be unresponsive.

Tedditalk

Third person games are superior.

Also.. What the fuck is the point of customizing my character if I’m playing in first person
The sleeves, the legging, looking down...exactly like real life. What an odd take tbh. I prefer first person for shooting any day of the week personally. So much detail get put into the weapon animations that I rather not miss out.

Last edited:
It should 100% be built in first person. Shooting in 3rd person would be feel archaic. CP2077 is a really solid FPS. It's pretty incredible its CDPR's first attempt at it. There is so much room to expand upon in the next entry, but the core gameplay is the least of what needs fixed. CDPR should focus more on world building and meaningful RPG moments. Gameplay for Cyberpunk is more than adequate

stn

A toggle would be nice, or just do make it FPS but third-person when you take cover (like the last two Deus-Ex games).

ungalo

Adding a transition from FP to TD when you take cover would not work as well. They would have to make a real cover system just for that and it would make the gameplay less fluid at the same time.

Roni

Gold Member
Third person is a given if they go through the trouble of animating the main character properly for first person to enable proper shadows and reflections. This was a jarring flaw in the early gameplay videos...

Dorohedoro

It would've been nice if they at least gave you an option to have a third person camera during conversations like TW3.

I rather have it in third person honestly, but give us a first person option as well. Do it like Starfield where you can switch viewpoints at anytime. I always felt like the fairly deep character customization in Cyberpunk 2077 rather pointless when you rarely even saw your character.

Last edited:

Pelao

I prefer to play in first person, but having the option is never a bad thing to have for those who prefer it.

EDMIX

If it's possible just include a toggle, best of both worlds and will only further compliment Night City.

nah, that will be 3 years after launch for $30 extra lol
Third person games are superior.

Also.. What the fuck is the point of customizing my character if I’m playing in first person

This. I'm not sure why they wouldn't just have it as it option as many games have this feature.

Its not rocket science, but shit they spent years struggling with basic features on CP2077, so who knows how hard some of that shit is for them.

Making cyberpunk 3rd person would make it a completely different game. Anyone who wants a 3rd person sequel doesn’t want a sequel to Cyberpunk 2077, they just want a 3rd person game in the Cyberpunk universe. That’s not necessarily a bad idea but understand you just want a different game.

Damn thats crazy, if only someone made a way to have both options.

I rather have it in third person honestly, but give us a first person option as well. Do it like Starfield where you can switch viewpoints at anytime. I always felt like the fairly deep character customization in Cyberpunk 2077 rather pointless when you rarely even saw your character.

^ Pretty much.

I vote for them to have both. Many developers have already done this and some of these features shouldn't be massive question for this team. Next thing you know they are going to tell us they "yet to decide on having Ai"

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Don't let those decel normies deter you from your vision, CDPR. The way Cyberpunk handles its first person cinematics is the most innovative and immersive shit I've ever seen and sets a new standard.

Gonks yelling "muh third person" as if that isn't at diametrical odds with the artistic vision you're trying to create as a developer.. Ridiculous.

Kupfer

Imagine panam first introduction in third person...

0tJMHgI.jpg
I'm on my second playthrough and I'm surprised that you can stumble across Panam at least twice before this mission. She is a guest in the Afterlife and she discusses stuff with Rogue.

I didn't notice that in 2020 and also thought I was meeting Panama for the first time in your screenshot.

The game is packed with details and I'm really glad that CPDR managed to finalize their vision rather to drop the game after the launch disaster.

You... you know that you can holster your weapons when not in combat? Hell... you can even holster them during combat if you choose to do so.
This. As a gun-nut, I don't think it's justifiable to walk around with your gun drawn all the time. It's rude on top of that.

Last edited:

Dazraell

Having third person toggle for exploration could be neat, but I honestly think they made a really good call with sticking to first person. It not only differentiated Cyberpunk from The Witcher, but it allowed them to do some really cool stuff during conversations. They really felt natural and more dynamic in comparison to some other rpgs, and well, tbh, their own past games

Hudo

Hopefully they stick with first-person. And if I had my wish, I'd force From Software to make a new King's Field as well (which is also a first-person game).

BbMajor7th

You... you know that you can holster your weapons when not in combat? Hell... you can even holster them during combat if you choose to do so.
So, held out in front, or holstered? In real life, people hold weapons at their sides or at their waists when they're not poised to fire them. Imagine a Resident Evil 2 where the only two options are an ADS stance (left trigger held), or unarmed. Shit would look really, really dumb. You look at all the different places weapons are naturally held on third-person character models: at their sides, at their waists, up by their faces (handguns normally), rested on their shoulders and consider how few of them are viable in first-person.

Super immersion breaking to me.

mortal

Gold Member
Being that it's a game about augmentation with a character creator, I can certainly understand why many of us would prefer a third-person toggle.
That and side-stepping any potential motion sickness.

I was also initially down on the lack of a proper third-person view, but jumping back in with 2.0, I'm actually glad they stuck to this.
The immersion is pretty incredible when everything is working as intended. I even prefer driving in first-person most of the time as well.

Official VR support would've made too much sense, but probably wasn't in the cards with everything else on their plate.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Third-person cover like rainbow six vegas, keep the toggle on vehicles and allow a third-person toggle when standing still so you can check out your customised character in the environment.

Full third person mode toggle should only be done if they can translate gameplay across both modes (a considerable undertaking).

Lethal01

Sure, also there's no reason for DMC V to not have The Witcher 3 writing, exploration, RPG mechanics, the list goes on.
Indeed, The witcher 3's design does not clash with DMC combat infact the result would basically just be a more fleshed out FF16

Z O N E

I hope they keep it FP. It just matches the style of the game and changing it would just be stupid.

FP just made everything feel more connected with your character. The conversations, the sex scenes, the shooting, hacking, parkour. It all played well. It's moulded into the DNA of the IP like another poster said.

Making it have Third Person would just ruin that immersion you have with the whole world to be honest.

Not every game has to feature FP and TP camera views.

Last edited:

zeroluck

Keep it first person and add mirror's edge style parkour/melee, I could play that game forever.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I hope its 3rd honestly. I really enjoyed Cyberpunk but it was a bummer that in a game with such a cool aesthetic... the character creator and outfits throughout the game are completely meaningless. Like why even have them. I walk by a mirror for 2 seconds every 6 hours. Its just such a waste.

I like being able to see my character and how they look while interacting with the world in games like this.

Or if they keep it 1st person then do away with the character creator outside of choosing male or female and ditch any clothing options. Dont even tease me.

Last edited:

khakimzhan

Certainly, it's a fascinating discussion, and it's actively being debated on Twitter as well.

I would like to highlight a few points:

1. Our entire lives are experienced from a first-person perspective, and it doesn't hinder us from making various choices regarding hairstyles and clothing.
2. Those who use GTA V or RDR2 as examples of seamlessly switching between perspectives may not have played through either of these games entirely in first-person mode from start to finish. Personally, I attempted it, but it didn't hold my interest for long. The implementation is impressive in short bursts, but extended gameplay in this mode becomes impractical.

Top Bottom