• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: Suicide Rates in America Have Climbed Dramatically (more than 30% in half the states)

Dunki

We don't need to counter steer. If women are doing better, it's for a reason. Just like if men are doing better, it's for a reason. All we can do is give both the same opportunities and see what they do with it. We don't have to balance things out, that's not natural...

I mean for entire races. Wealth is inherited, and if your race had no wealth it's harder to get it. But that doesn't change the fact that today, two people of two different races have the exact same opportunities so long as they come from the same wealth class...
The problem is that boys are getting punished more in the current schoolish enviroment. What we need to counter steer for example is more male teachers and we need support programms not only catering for girls but to boys and girls together. That is what I am talking about.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There is no question that injustice in the past has an impact on modern people today. But that's not a "privilege". We all have the same rights, abide by the same laws, therefor have the same privilege in regards to our race/sex. I wasn't born cash in hand because a bunch of other white people were, that's not how reality works...

It is a privilege. But since you can't see or understand why it is.....there's no reason for me to personally follow up with why, when the answer is so obvious.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
It’s more of a question if you believe in the concept of institutional discrimination or sexism.
Show me an institution that's discriminating and I'll show you an institution that's breaking the law. It's that simple....

The problem is that boys are getting punished more in the current schoolish enviroment.
That sounds illegal, you should call the cops...

BANGS

Banned
It is a privilege. But since you can't see or understand why it is.....there's no reason for me to personally follow up with why, when the answer is so obvious.
If the answer was obvious, you would be able to explain it. But you can't because it's illogical and dishonest. Name one right or opportunity I have that the black gentleman sitting next to me doesn't have. If you can pull that off, you win. But you can't... sorry...

Super Mario

Banned
Isn't the idea that they are even oppressed at all, also shocking? Just asking.

The thing is, there is no scientific method of measuring "oppression". Having freedom to chose parameters to compare, you could get to surprising results, or rather, any result you want, in fact. White man group is easy: education, incarceration rates, divorce settlements, suicide rates, spending gap, health issues, life expectancy. On all mentioned points white men are behind or far behind white and Asian women and behind Latina/black women on most.

This right here. It's easy for young Liberals to say "you white men have it easy." Well why is that? Probably because white men have arguably been a very successful class throughout history, if not the mostt. That doesn't mean the deck isn't stacked against us. Laws, courts, policies, and even life itself doesn't favor us. What we have is earnings/success/power and the feeling towards us is that we don't deserve it. Take that wealth away, and I believe it's a great indication why poorer white males are more likely to take their lives.

We don't get months celebrating us. There are no groups fighting for us. If so, they are seen as hate groups. Funny how that works. There are no funds being dedicated to problems white men face. If I lost my job and all of my assets, who would be there to help me? I know few people are shedding a tear for us. However, it is a lot of pressure. Suicide is often because someone feels that they can't meet the pressures of the world. "Mental illness" is code word for an issue to politicize that will never be solved.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

If the answer was obvious, you would be able to explain it. But you can't because it's illogical and dishonest. Name one right or opportunity I have that the black gentleman sitting next to me doesn't have. If you can pull that off, you win. But you can't... sorry...

Okay.........I'll bite.

It's harder for black people with "black" sounding names to get a call back for an interview than people with traditionally sounding "non-black" names. That hurts the black men named De'Vonte, LaMarcus, and Malik. That hurts the black women named Imani, Ebony, Deja, Aliyah, and Shanice.

That's the legacy of what this country has been built on. We still go through it today.

Future

Haha, why would anyone want to go in depth with you on this dude. You don’t sound like anyone really trying to have in nuanced debate.

You already have the information anyway, you just don’t believe any of it. You don’t believe in the significance of people rejecting job applications due to black or female sounding names, or lacking opportunities because the people in power don’t believe in their capabilities, the war on drugs targeting minorities or the income ceilings some people have a harder time getting past.

What’s interesting about this was that the civil rights movement in the 60s was partially about this. There were “separate but equal” laws previously, and I’m sure stimulating intellectual debate over what blacks were complaining about.... everything is equal! The laws demand it so don’t they? If something is separate but NOT equal, then that is breaking the law “plain and simple”

llien

Okay.........I'll bite.

It's harder for black people with "black" sounding names to get a call back for an interview than people with traditionally sounding "non-black" names. That hurts the black men named De'Vonte, LaMarcus, and Malik. That hurts the black women named Imani, Ebony, Deja, Aliyah, and Shanice.

That's the legacy of what this country has been built on. We still go through it today.

I think you are referencing this study.

Curios, I've come across this (chances of getting interview, it has bizarre bits like Friday application having much worse chances than Monday applications):

uQ0oq4E.png

None of the names is in the list you have mentioned.

What I would also expect, however, is that having "traditionally sounding" African-American men would have advantage at big US companies (fighting diversity stats) and even better with African-American women.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
I'm not sure where the punishment is here. Sounds more like some schools just suck, and people should avoid them...

Okay.........I'll bite.
There are way too many variables in that study to take it as gospel. People of all races deal with racism in various forms. If it's true that people aren't hiring people with black sounding names simply because of the name(and therefor racism), they can be charged with a crime. If you don't have enough evidence to convince a jury, why would you have enough evidence to convince me or anyone else? Next...

llien

Id need more information on your point. Viewing the history of voting rights in the US:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_rights_in_the_United_States

What historic milestone are you referring to for rights to vote? Near 150 years ago non white men were given the right to vote yes, which is a similar point... it took a while for society to grow to accept the growing equality between whites and non whites.

I don't know where the weird idea of "centuries of voting" comes from, but it universally was NOT the case.
It wasn't until XIX century (!!!) that the world tackled various forms of slavery.
Voting in general was something rather new, that often involved revolutions, in case of France, more than one. It started with only rich having rights, then spilled over all men, then over all citizens.
Things more or less settled in the mid XIX nearly worldwide, at end of it, New Zealand pioneered giving voting rights to women, if I remember correctly, 1893.

In US there was an interesting twist to it, with voting rights coming together with readiness to go to war for your country. As far that I remember majority of women opposed the idea, for exactly that reason (just curious fact, irrelevant in this context).

All that didn't come from nowhere, the world has changed drastically over the course of last two centuries, famine was (almost) tackled, economy boomed. A bunch of decades later, when work conditions improved (in countries such as USSR earlier, as, well, the more workers the better) women were gradually pushed out of homes to have jobs, one way or another.

World Wars took major toll (and negatively impacted development), with about 80 million dying (USSR lost 14% of it's population, mostly men)

What else... Education, which was nowhere universal two centuries ago, become norm in second half of XX century.

iBuzzati

A few years ago Chris Hedges wrote an incredibly poignant piece on Truthdig about the reshaping of communal life in modern society, with some pretty harrowing statistics. Attendance in every single communal organization and institution is drastically down from what it was just 20 years ago. People used to fill up malls, raceways, arcades, churches, rotary clubs, etc. Now they are either scarcely filled or out of business. The internet has largely been used as a proxy for the social needs of community, while also providing cheaper, convenient, and more efficient outlets than commercial business that doubled as communal gathering places. Even unexpected reshaping of cultural social events have become more unpopular by this kind of insularism - trick or treating, for example, is way down from what it was in the 80s and 90s in the US. This has an effect on the psyche.

Last edited:

thequestion

I’m no expert on this subject, but I wonder if there is a correlation with sleep patterns. I feel the demands and pressures of today’s society have impacted our quality of sleep and this may of attributed to certain individuals becoming suicidal.

Dunki

I'm not sure where the punishment is here. Sounds more like some schools just suck, and people should avoid them...

There are way too many variables in that study to take it as gospel. People of all races deal with racism in various forms. If it's true that people aren't hiring people with black sounding names simply because of the name(and therefor racism), they can be charged with a crime. If you don't have enough evidence to convince a jury, why would you have enough evidence to convince me or anyone else? Next...
The problem here is that the school system is more preferable for girls while boys often need some sort of physical component like more sports more being able to do rough plays etc. This is something that today´'s school system is punishing. Again we need to reform the whole education system so both boys and girls can take advantage of a better education. We also need more support programs for boys in terms of job perspective. Example is Girls day why not make it school day and then support not only girls but also boys.

kischine

I’m no expert on this subject, but I wonder if there is a correlation with sleep patterns. I feel the demands and pressures of today’s society have impacted our quality of sleep and this may of attributed to certain individuals becoming suicidal.
I believe it has a part on it. When I was in college not sleeping for 3 days was a routine for me. That, stacked with problems with my family, college itself, problems with girlfriend and a shitty psychiatrist almost killed me. In the end I had to drop from college.

But it's also a infinitude of factors, people study all their lifes to figure this out, it's not we, at a videogame forum, who watched a few videos and a few articles can figure this complex stuff out. That's why I tend to avoid this type of thread.

Last edited:

Ke0

African-Americans college students are about as likely to get hired as whites who have dropped out of high school. So says a new report from a non-profit called Young Invincibles, which analyzed data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics and the U.S. Census and examined the effect race and education levels have on unemployment. “We were startled to see just how much more education young African-Americans must get in order to have the same chance at landing a job as their white peers.”
Since you have mentioned it, what is the right measure of oppression?
Perhaps <+)O Robido O(+> who liked your post also knows.

I would imagine things like likelihood of gaining employment per education attainment versus other groups, income versus groups per education attainment, arrest rates for same crimes versus other groups, etc.

White American men are facing the same pressures that all other men in your country are facing but the difference is that sadly white men are crumpling under those same pressures where other groups persevere somehow.

I have ideas on how to curb these issues but they involve embracing the things America hates: social welfare, universal healthcare, etc. Those two things alone would help quite a bit, universal healthcare would kill of a lot of medical debt which is a huge component to struggles in your country, it would also help with mobility since you're no longer tired to a shite job, easier for men to take care of their family.

This also makes mental healthcare affordable (and expands the field) which will enable more men to go. Which is much better than only invoking "mental health" when your country has mass shootings…

Men are crumpling under the pressures of a societal system some of them helped erect, a societal system that help is seen as bad, that "real men" don't ask for help, to "tough it out", any form of social assistance is seen as something the "others" are mooching off of so it's best to get rid of it. Americans have embraced that whole "survival of the fittest" "every man for himself" "fuck you got mine" mentality and it's not shockingly biting them in their ass.

Your country had a crack epidemic but the country didn't care and pushed for harsh punitive punishment, that molded and informed your country that people on drugs don't deserve sympathy or empathy but rather should be crushed. Now that the opioid crisis has hit white America everyone is shocked there is no sympathy or empathy. Why be shocked? Your country effectively taught it's people that the drug addicts deserve neither. Did people actually expect the outcome to be different because those affected are white now?

The constant irrational fears of "others" whether they be black, Hispanic, Asian, etc and hell the othering of white people too ("trailer trash", etc) has ended up fucking over white men too, the ones killing themselves and addicted to opioids? They were "weak", not "real men", "failures", so they get no help from others and are left to fend for themselves in a country that pretty much has very little avenues for help once they fall.

Not even mentioning your country's love of telling those less fortunate to "get a job", "quit complaining", "I'm not paying for you to be lazy!" Just look at how people on this board talk about any kind of social assistance, and you'll quickly understand these suicide statistics.

Not even getting into the social pressures of what it means to be a "man" like being the financial provider but wages in have been relatively stagnant since the 70s/80s while cost of living continued to increase steadily. The worship of unchecked capitalism

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Did you just call white men Nazi's?
No. The people saying "white men are an oppressed group" are Nazis. White men aren't oppressed, poor people are oppressed. White people make up the biggest group in this country, so obviously many of them are poor. Whiteness and maleness are not groups that need protection or uplifting. Minorities and poor people are.

BANGS

Banned
I would imagine things like likelihood of gaining employment per education attainment versus other groups, income versus groups per education attainment, arrest rates for same crimes versus other groups, etc.
That's a statistic by race, again with tons of variables not accounted for. I'm asking what privileges does an individual white person have that a black person doesn't? I don't have a privilege because other white men got a job, that doesn't effect me. Name a privilege if it's so easy...

Your country had a crack epidemic but the country didn't care and pushed for harsh punitive punishment, that molded and informed your country that people on drugs don't deserve sympathy or empathy but rather should be crushed. Now that the opioid crisis has hit white America everyone is shocked there is no sympathy or empathy. Why be shocked? Your country effectively taught it's people that the drug addicts deserve neither. Did people actually expect the outcome to be different because those affected are white now?
That has absolutely nothing to do with race and everything to do with the drug itself. White crack heads are treated no differently than black crack heads. White heroine junkies are treated no differently than black heroine junkies. The pharmaceutical industry is not about to stop the opioid epidemic, it's legal and profitable. The government wasn't profiting off crack, hence the reaction...

Still waiting on just ONE(1) example of white privilege...

Dunki

White American men are facing the same pressures that all other men in your country are facing but the difference is that sadly white men are crumpling under those same pressures where other groups persevere somehow.

I have ideas on how to curb these issues but they involve embracing the things America hates: social welfare, universal healthcare, etc. Those two things alone would help quite a bit, universal healthcare would kill of a lot of medical debt which is a huge component to struggles in your country, it would also help with mobility since you're no longer tired to a shite job, easier for men to take care of their family.

This also makes mental healthcare affordable (and expands the field) which will enable more men to go. Which is much better than only invoking "mental health" when your country has mass shootings…

Men are crumpling under the pressures of a societal system some of them helped erect, a societal system that help is seen as bad, that "real men" don't ask for help, to "tough it out", any form of social assistance is seen as something the "others" are mooching off of so it's best to get rid of it. Americans have embraced that whole "survival of the fittest" "every man for himself" "fuck you got mine" mentality and it's not shockingly biting them in their ass.

The constant irrational fears of "others" whether they be black, Hispanic, Asian, etc and hell the othering of white people too ("trailer trash", etc) has ended up fucking over white men too, the ones killing themselves and addicted to opioids? They were "weak", not "real men", "failures", so they get no help from others and are left to fend for themselves in a country that pretty much has very little avenues for help once they fall.

Not even mentioning your country's love of telling those less fortunate to "get a job", "quit complaining", "I'm not paying for you to be lazy!" Just look at how people on this board talk about any kind of social assistance, and you'll quickly understand these suicide statistics.

Not even getting into the social pressures of what it means to be a "man" like being the financial provider but wages in have been relatively stagnant since the 70s/80s while cost of living continued to increase steadily. The worship of unchecked capitalism
They also crumple because there is much more pressure on them. For example the stigmatization of white men in society these days. The point that they are seen as predators, as pedophile as, nazis, etc. And the only way to not get stigmatized in these groups is basically to agree that white people are shit and have all the advantages. And even then ssome ideologies of soceity will still call you that.

If black people for example would have to put up with all the shit white people right now have they would also fall to this pressure. Being whie male and straight these days is already evidence that you do not count, your opinion is not worth anything because you are not opressed and so on.

Easy life my ass because white people not only have to deal with normal problems like everyone ele to be able to survive they also have to put up with all the other bullshit bascially getting bullied out of soceity by so called progressive groups.

Zog

Banned
No. The people saying "white men are an oppressed group" are Nazis. White men aren't oppressed, poor people are oppressed. White people make up the biggest group in this country, so obviously many of them are poor. Whiteness and maleness are not groups that need protection or uplifting. Minorities and poor people are.

White men are the only group that it's ok to openly attack for the their race and gender.

cryptoadam

Banned
A few years ago Chris Hedges wrote an incredibly poignant piece on Truthdig about the reshaping of communal life in modern society, with some pretty harrowing statistics. Attendance in every single communal organization and institution is drastically down from what it was just 20 years ago. People used to fill up malls, raceways, arcades, churches, rotary clubs, etc. Now they are either scarcely filled or out of business. The internet has largely been used as a proxy for the social needs of community, while also providing cheaper, convenient, and more efficient outlets than commercial business that doubled as communal gathering places. Even unexpected reshaping of cultural social events have become more unpopular by this kind of insularism - trick or treating, for example, is way down from what it was in the 80s and 90s in the US. This has an effect on the psyche.

I think this is an interesting point.

You take away peoples social net/community and it will have an adverse effect.

I can tell you I look back at my youth and compare to today and feel that the younger generation is missing out on a lot of life.

Even something as small as phone conversations. Which is ironic since we all now have portable 24/7 phones on us but I bet total talk time is probably down from when we had those old rotary phones and no call waiting.

Even though we are more connected than ever and the world has never been smaller, we are also more isolated and alone.

mckmas8808

If black people for example would have to put up with all the shit white people right now have they would also fall to this pressure. Being white male and straight these days is already evidence that you do not count, your opinion is not worth anything because you are not oppressed and so on.

Easy life my ass because white people not only have to deal with normal problems like everyone else to be able to survive they also have to put up with all the other bullshit basically getting bullied out of society by so-called progressive groups.

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! BRUH! I can't lol. If only you understood. It's so funny to see some people trapped in the "bubble". Black people literally had to create our own Elementary and High Schools, Universities, Sports Leagues, TV Networks, and a monthly holiday. We had to fight to become free from slavery and then we had to liberate ourselves from separate by equal laws. We had to fight to get pass nationwide Housing Discrimination (which still exist today). We have literally pulled ourselves up from our bootstraps for over 150 years and still do today.

Black people have had to create many groups to fight oppression. And at every turn and every advancement that I listed above, it was faught tooth and nail to stopped by many or some in White America. Yet we as a race kept pushing and achieving and advancing. We now have black Billionaires and run many multi-billion dollar corporations. From Slaves to Presidents. And you want to tell "me" (a black man), that we'd fall to the pressure that white men face today? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dunki we had one black man......just ONE black man take a knee during the national anthem of a NFL game (because he didn't like how the police treated people of color and get away with it) and the country goes crazy! Man....you sure do live in a certain world within your head.

They say that if you want to know who is in charge, look to who you can't criticize.

Well it sure isn't black people because we get criticized everyday on a large scale.

Last edited:

Dunki

LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!! BRUH! I can't lol. If only you understood. It's so funny to see some people trapped in the "bubble". Black people literally had to create our own Elementary and High Schools, Universities, Sports Leagues, TV Networks, and a monthly holiday. We had to fight to become free from slavery and then we had to liberate ourselves from separate by equal laws. We had to fight to get pass nationwide Housing Discrimination (which still exist today). We have literally pulled ourselves up from our bootstraps for over 150 years and still do today.

Black people have had to create many groups to fight oppression. And at every turn and every advancement that I listed above, it was faught tooth and nail to stopped by many or some in White America. Yet we as a race kept pushing and achieving and advancing. We now have black Billionaires and run many multi-billion dollar corporations. From Slaves to Presidents. And you want to tell "me" (a black man), that we'd fall to the pressure that white men face today? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dunki we had one black man......just ONE black man take a knee during the national anthem of a NFL game (because he didn't like how the police treated people of color and get away with it) and the country goes crazy! Man....you sure do live in a certain world within your head.

Well it sure isn't black people because we get criticized everyday on a large scale.
Here is the biggest difference to all of this. Black people no matter what get support from everywhere which by the way you should. You just can shout racism and people will run up in spades if you as a white men actually cry for help you get shit like white fragility or lol white people white privilege and shit like this.

eff.jpg

CYruz4o.jpg

White people get blamed for everything. You want to see the newest one?

And this goes back to suicide and how much pressure white men have to endure when the whole world blames white people for everything that is wrong with the world. MEanwhile

Deaths in battle Men 97.7% Women 2.3%
Homelessness Men 62% Women 38%
Suicides Men 77.9% Women 22.1%
Homicides Men 77.4% Women 22.6%
Workplace deaths Men 93% Women 7%
College graduates Men 40% Women 60%
Winners of custody Men 17.8% Women 82.2%

Last edited:

It's Jeff

Banned
This post is so great. I wish GAF had a donate button for post, just so I could give you $1 lol. You're so right though. We as humans aren't designed or ready for what social media does to us as a society. We aren't built for discussing things with 200 people all at once. So when 3 people disagree with us at the same time we call it "piling on" or "mob mentality" when honestly it's just 3 people disagreeing with you at once. There's no "mob mentality", but you'll see people use that term all the time when discussing social media. We aren't socially ready for what it means to discuss things amongst 1,000s of people all at once.

One Tweet can get retweeted 5,000 times and get 2,000 comments. Out of those 2,000 comments, there can be a legit 500 hateful comments. No one human-being is supposed to hear or read 500 hateful comments about them or about what they think about something. It can take a mental and emotion toll on a person. It's why one of the Gaffers this past weekend said he needed to take 3 months off from NeoGaf. I get it! I had to take a break from Twitter for a while, because it can get to be too much some times.

Heh, thanks! Flag down the boss and ask him if we can link a PayPal account to these things. But we're in a rough transitional period when it comes to social media and exposure in general. We're social creatures, but we didn't even evolve to city living until the past 5000 years, I believe. Our biggest community is Tokyo at around 38 million people and it took us 5000 years to get there. We became a global community of 7 billion in 20. We simply don't know how to handle it yet - and if you've read The Distracted Mind, we were never built for it.

Four of ten American adults are obese, and the link between obesity and depression is well documented. We're abusing prescription painkillers at an alarming rate. Clearly, we're not happy. Sure, we'll post photos with smiles and happy Instagram puppy filters and say this is our life, but that's not our reality. Are these all connected? Maybe. I can't prove it, and I don't have a team of undergrads to do long term statistical gathering for me, but I think there's a connection. You mentioned you took a break from Twitter - why? What did you feel it was doing to you, and how do you think you'd feel if you didn't?

oagboghi2

This would be a fine point if multiple other countries, many with universal healthcare and all the other progressive talking points enacted into law already, also have high suicide rates.

I highly doubt this issue will be easily solved with higher taxes and more welfare.

mckmas8808

They say that if you want to know who is in charge, look to who you can't criticize.
Heh, thanks! Flag down the boss and ask him if we can link a PayPal account to these things. But we're in a rough transitional period when it comes to social media and exposure in general. We're social creatures, but we didn't even evolve to city living until the past 5000 years, I believe. Our biggest community is Tokyo at around 38 million people and it took us 5000 years to get there. We became a global community of 7 billion in 20. We simply don't know how to handle it yet - and if you've read The Distracted Mind, we were never built for it.

Four of ten American adults are obese, and the link between obesity and depression is well documented. We're abusing prescription painkillers at an alarming rate. Clearly, we're not happy. Sure, we'll post photos with smiles and happy Instagram puppy filters and say this is our life, but that's not our reality. Are these all connected? Maybe. I can't prove it, and I don't have a team of undergrads to do long term statistical gathering for me, but I think there's a connection. You mentioned you took a break from Twitter - why? What did you feel it was doing to you, and how do you think you'd feel if you didn't?

I had to take a break from Twitter because I was becoming to invested in bad none ending conversations during the middle of the police shootings of unarmed black people. And trying to "convince" people why people that look like me matter was taking a serious toll on my emotional state. Especially when at the end of the day those other people that I was trying to "convince" were trolling other people that I follow that had hundreds of thousands of followers. I realize it was all a shell game. It made me feel like most white people didn't care about black lives. But what I found out after listening to many podcasts and reading a couple of articles on social media, was that Social Media is a small bubble that only certain people are participating in. And the people that were trolling represented a super small section of the population.

If I didn't take that break, I think I'd be alot more frustrated and unable to tell the difference between people that want to have a genuine conversation and people that just like to fight online or troll. I'm 90% better at realizing when to cut the convo on my side if I'm not getting anything from it now. If it's not helpful for me, why continue the conversation? It's made talking about certain subjects on GAF easier too.

BANGS

Banned
Dunki I have to ask man... why did you like my post that said "Seriously this oppression olympics shit is so sad. I can't believe so many people allowed themselves to get caught up in it... "

You liked that post and yet here you are going for the gold... White people are not oppressed in America. Black people are not oppressed in America. We may, as a whole race in general, deal with certain small practically insignificant issues... but each individual in America is as free as a bald eagle eating apple pie... let's stop pretending these issues are important when it's clearly just a tally mark you can parade around...

Ke0

Here is the biggest difference to all of this. Black people no matter what get support from everywhere which by the way you should. You just can shout racism and people will run up in spades if you as a white men actually cry for help you get shit like white fragility or lol white people white privilege and shit like this.

eff.jpg

CYruz4o.jpg

White people get blamed for everything. You want to see the newest one?

And this goes back to suicide and how much pressure white men have to endure when the whole world blames white people for everything that is wrong with the world. MEanwhile

Deaths in battle Men 97.7% Women 2.3%
Homelessness Men 62% Women 38%
Suicides Men 77.9% Women 22.1%
Homicides Men 77.4% Women 22.6%
Workplace deaths Men 93% Women 7%
College graduates Men 40% Women 60%
Winners of custody Men 17.8% Women 82.2%

By that argument I'm surprised America still has black citizens given how much they've been blamed for everything bad in America. I mean they're blamed so much an entire political strategy was created based on blaming them that's still used in 2018 to great effect. Them merely existing was enough for your country to do a 180 on social welfare, NHS, etc.

If they're somehow able to deal with it then this isn't a good excuse.

Dunki

Dunki I have to ask man... why did you like my post that said "Seriously this oppression olympics shit is so sad. I can't believe so many people allowed themselves to get caught up in it... "

You liked that post and yet here you are going for the gold... White people are not oppressed in America. Black people are not oppressed in America. We may, as a whole race in general, deal with certain small practically insignificant issues... but each individual in America is as free as a bald eagle eating apple pie... let's stop pretending these issues are important when it's clearly just a tally mark you can parade around...
I never said that. I am jsut saying that everyone has problems but with the difference that the problems of white people are being made fun of with stuff like white fragility, lol white people etc. We are talking about people who have by far the highest suicide rate making un of. I am tired I believe race does not matter in terms of suffering but more the class you are in. however I hat it when people make fun of such issues with drive by post like lol white people.

Zog

Banned
By that argument I'm surprised America still has black citizens given how much they've been blamed for everything bad in America. I mean they're blamed so much an entire political strategy was created based on blaming them that's still used in 2018 to great effect. Them merely existing was enough for your country to do a 180 on social welfare, NHS, etc.

What do you think of the idea that white male tears are funny?

Dunki

identy politics Clinton did was not blamed on black people
It was blamed on the Democratic Party . And I will say this again you can criticize black people but when you are ehite you get totally ridiculed for it. For example with the white Male tears meme. Furthermore it is not my country my country is Germany.

So even when you blame black people you get shit on if you blame white people you get celebrated

Last edited:

Ke0

This would be a fine point if multiple other countries, many with universal healthcare and all the other progressive talking points enacted into law already, also have high suicide rates.

I highly doubt this issue will be easily solved with higher taxes and more welfare.

I didn't say it would solve the problem but would help alleviate them. Countries like Japan and Korea are kinda like America in which capitalism runs largely unchecked, and wages are stagnant. It's not a winning combination (especially Korea with their chaebols' power in politics via lobbying and donations…sounds familiar huh). So now you have people who live a hyper competitive country succumbing to the pressures of trying to keep up, working grueling hours in order to make ends meet. And much like the US the rich are great at convincing people everything is fine just work harder

The issue is that increasing wages, an actual working social safety net, NHS, are all things that curb capitalism's growth in one way or another but they're necessary to extend how long capitalism burns for since the main commodity in capitalism is people as a resource.

These are also countries that are ethnostates, with a national identity and culture so lacking that clearly isn't the issue in America, nor can we say as an example in Korea, that Koreans are being oppressed, so that excuse doesn't work.

Ke0

What do you think of the idea that white male tears are funny?

For a country full of people talking about tired of PC being forced down your throats and liberals and PoC are too sensitive and they're "just words" the lot of you sure are getting your knickers in a twist about being offended by memes and harsh words.

If "white tears memes" are your measure of oppression then I imagine PoC and LGBT groups are more oppressed by a landslide.

identy politics Clinton did was not blamed on black people
It was blamed on the Democratic Party . And I will say this again you can criticize black people but when you are ehite you get totally ridiculed for it. For example with the white Male tears meme. Furthermore it is not my country my country is Germany.

So even when you blame black people you get shit on if you blame white people you get celebrated

I have no clue what you're trying to say tbh. Everyone knows the Southern Strategy is a conservative political strategy, so I'm not sure why you're talking about Clinton, and it's a strategy conservative politicians have been using since 1963, and still use in 2018. That's 55 years just on that, where as prior to that they didn't even bother with dog whistles and abstractions (because as Lee Atwater said, they could no longer say racial things about black people directly, but dog whistles and abstraction works wonders and still blames them). If black people can persevere through all that I think white men are more than capable of persevering.

Wheres that "every man for himself", "stop crying that things aren't fair" mindset you lot always go on about?

BANGS

Banned
I never said that. I am jsut saying that everyone has problems but with the difference that the problems of white people are being made fun of with stuff like white fragility, lol white people etc. We are talking about people who have by far the highest suicide rate making un of. I am tired I believe race does not matter in terms of suffering but more the class you are in. however I hat it when people make fun of such issues with drive by post like lol white people.
All you can do, much like I have successfully done ITT, is debunk the idea of white privilege. People are still gonna say dumb shit and make fun of you. You don't have the right to not be offended. Don't let it get to you dude...
People of all races deal with awful drive by comments. If we're gonna tell them they have to deal with it and be strong, we can't be hypocritical and cry when people do it to us...

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
For a country full of people talking about tired of PC being forced down your throats and liberals and PoC are too sensitive and they're "just words" the lot of you sure are getting your knickers in a twist about being offended by memes and harsh words.

If "white tears memes" are your measure of oppression then I imagine PoC and LGBT groups are more oppressed by a landslide.

In other words, you are going to downplay it.

Wheres that "every man for himself", "stop crying that things aren't fair" mindset you lot always go on about?
What 'lot' would that be? Can you quote me saying that?

Last edited:

Dunki

I have no clue what you're trying to say tbh. Everyone knows the Southern Strategy is a conservative political strategy, so I'm not sure why you're talking about Clinton, and it's a strategy conservative politicians have been using since 1963, and still use in 2018. That's 55 years just on that, where as prior to that they didn't even bother with dog whistles and abstractions (because as Lee Atwater said, they could no longer say racial things about black people directly, but dog whistles and abstraction works wonders and still blames them). If black people can persevere through all that I think white men are more than capable of persevering.

Even It has nothing to do with race but how Clintons campaign was going. At one of these someone hold a speech told women who not vote for hillary deserve a special place in Hell. Clinnton was standing behind the speaker and laughing. This is when I said finally fuck Clinton. And honestly as non American I have no idea about the 1963 southern Strategy I will call what I will see now. And the way it went not only with clinton herself but also supporters like even Journalists was exactly the reason why Clinton lost in the end.

Also my problem is the double standard of some people arguing with white fragility. Imagine you would counter with black fragility when someone tells you how black people suffer? How about we play on the same level see eachother as equal. And do not see us through race and help people who need help despite race or gender?

When someone says how much white males suffer accoring to these rates and you get a lol white fragility back which I got and which started this whole conversation, do you think this helps anyone? I fucking hate these kind of discussions but I also feel obligated to say something when someone tries to be funny with this bullshit.

Last edited:
White America is America.

Yeeennnnknow???

Let me put this another way: to outwardly acknowledge the struggles of white people is to acknowledge that other people actually exist.

Tertiary: explicit recognition of white struggles is direct blow to white supremacy, white nationalism, as untenable.

I disagree. I love Twitter because when someone starts popping off their ignorance, 1,000 people will drag them.

Get gud or get out. Everyone might have an opinion, but a lot of them are wrong.

So what? Why would thousands matter in a country of hundreds of millions or a world of billions?

Colicky babies get the most attention, but then most babies are not colicky.

So what? Why would thousands matter in a country of hundreds of millions or a world of billions?

Colicky babies get the most attention, but then most babies are not colicky.

1. "So what" is neither an argument nor a question.

2. I already addressed why thousands out of millions or billions matters in an additional post. Read the thread.

Naudi

Banned
Still arguing over white privilege I see...As a white male I believe it exists in many facets of our lives. I'm not rich and my life has been pretty hard but that doesn't mean there isn't still privilege.

Moneal

Still arguing over white privilege I see...As a white male I believe it exists in many facets of our lives. I'm not rich and my life has been pretty hard but that doesn't mean there isn't still privilege.
then please list those privileges

Even if white privilege exists, there's very limited use in pointing it out, as any white person could have hundreds of other reasons they could still be severely disadvantaged in modern society. Why stop at the colour of one's skin? That tells only a small part of the story. If you're truly this interested in finding out who has it worse, we should go all the way.

But perhaps we shouldn't focus on who has it worse, and just try to solve as many problems as possible for everyone.

Naudi

Banned
then please list those privileges

Not going to list them all, you can do some leg work if you want to actually improve as a person. But one example was the number of times I was stopped by a cop as a kid while I had weed on me and not one time was I ever searched. Even if I was driving with expired tags and no insurance card. But I'm sure now you will argue black people aren't more likely to get pulled over or searched.

It's Jeff

Banned
I had to take a break from Twitter because I was becoming to invested in bad none ending conversations during the middle of the police shootings of unarmed black people. And trying to "convince" people why people that look like me matter was taking a serious toll on my emotional state. Especially when at the end of the day those other people that I was trying to "convince" were trolling other people that I follow that had hundreds of thousands of followers. I realize it was all a shell game. It made me feel like most white people didn't care about black lives. But what I found out after listening to many podcasts and reading a couple of articles on social media, was that Social Media is a small bubble that only certain people are participating in. And the people that were trolling represented a super small section of the population.

If I didn't take that break, I think I'd be alot more frustrated and unable to tell the difference between people that want to have a genuine conversation and people that just like to fight online or troll. I'm 90% better at realizing when to cut the convo on my side if I'm not getting anything from it now. If it's not helpful for me, why continue the conversation? It's made talking about certain subjects on GAF easier too.

I like this, and thanks for your perspective on this. I can't remember what it was, but I came across that same information about who is saying what on Twitter. I wish I remembered so I could recommend it to others. I feel we might have listened to the same podcast.

It's scary to feel yourself going down that route and start thinking that Twitter crowd is representative of the population in general. I'd be terrified if that were the actual world I live in. I might consider not living in it anymore.

Get off the internet sometimes, diet, and exercise. Decent mental health starter kit, you think?

Top Bottom