• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDC: Suicide Rates in America Have Climbed Dramatically (more than 30% in half the states)

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The brain is not only by far the most complex organ in the body, but it's one of the most scientifically complex entities in the universe. There's still so much to figure out about it and things like the very meaning of consciousness itself. We're a long way from solving mental health issues, that will take learning more about the human brain. But I think there are a combination of things that can help cut down on suicide rates.

Social media seems to lead to more depression for a variety of reasons. I read a study one time that more than 50% of people who use Facebook feel worse about themselves after using it than before they logged on. It exposes you to this new wave of outrage culture that has risen over the last several years where hoards of people harass you over stupid bullshit like "culture appropriation" of your prom dress and haircuts. Having hundreds of people who don't even know you tell you how horrible you are for no reason can't be good for mental health. You're also constantly exposed to women and things you can't or won't have and people who are alone are constantly reminded that people out there are happier and wealthier than them. Not good for people who already lack self confidence.

People are out of shape and don't exercise. Mind and body are connected, if your body feels like shit your mind will feel like shit.

Lack of sleep - this country on the whole is sleep deprived, and that directly affects mental health.

Drugs and alcohol - both known to exacerbate mental health and depression.

The pressures of society in America - can be crippling to both men and women.

Still so much to learn and hopefully more solutions to depression on the way.

Last edited:

Enosh

One can believe in white privilege and also care about the problems white people face and think they are serious. It's very possible actually.
people who talk about white privilege are usually the same people that drink from white tears mugs
so yes, it might exist in theory, but I've yet to find this mystical creature

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The brain is not only by far the most complex organ in the body, but it's one of the most scientifically complex entities in the universe. There's still so much to figure out about it and things like the very meaning of consciousness itself. We're a long way from solving mental health issues, that will take learning more about the human brain. But I think there are a combination of things that can help cut down on suicide rates.

Social media seems to lead to more depression for a variety of reasons. I read a study one time that more than 50% of people who use Facebook feel worse about themselves after using it than before they logged on. It exposes you to this new wave of outrage culture that has risen over the last several years where hoards of people harass you over stupid bullshit like "culture appropriation" of your prom dress and haircuts. Having hundreds of people who don't even know you tell you how horrible you are for no reason can't be good for mental health. You're also constantly exposed to women and things you can't or won't have and people who are alone are constantly reminded that people out there are happier and wealthier than them. Not good for people who already lack self confidence.

People are out of shape and don't exercise. Mind and body are connected, if your body feels like shit your mind will feel like shit.

Lack of sleep - this country on the whole is sleep deprived, and that directly affects mental health.

What people call "outrage culture" today, used to be called dialog 50 years ago. It's funny to see people think that nobody had these same thoughts and converstations years ago. But literally everything else in your post I agree with.

people who talk about white privilege are usually the same people that drink from white tears mugs

So you are saying I don't exist then. Because white privilege does exist whether you believe it or not. And I also sympathize with many things that white people are going through in this day and age. All the stuff that DragoonKain DragoonKain said above also applies to white people. Lack of sleep, being overweight, pressures of society, abuse of drugs, etc all are experienced by white people.

I personally recognize that white people are equally human, so they'll go through many of the same stuff that us black people go through. And I hate when people want to drink "white men's tears". Now have I laughed at some jokes when people say that phrase? Yes, because the setup to the joke was funny. But it is a terrible thing to actually think about and/or say if you are speaking to a white man that's explaining his problems to you.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
What people call "outrage culture" today, used to be called dialog 50 years ago. It's funny to see people think that nobody had these same thoughts and converstations years ago. But literally everything else in your post I agree with.

So you are saying I don't exist then. Because white privilege does exist whether you believe it or not. And I also sympathize with many things that white people are going through in this day and age. All the stuff that DragoonKain DragoonKain said above also applies to white people. Lack of sleep, being overweight, pressures of society, abuse of drugs, etc all are experienced by white people.

I personally recognize that white people are equally human, so they'll go through many of the same stuff that us black people go through. And I hate when people want to drink "white men's tears". Now have I laughed at some jokes when people say that phrase? Yes, because the setup to the joke was funny. But it is a terrible thing to actually think about and/or say if you are speaking to a white man that's explaining his problems to you.

I think outrage culture removes dialogue. That's why it's called "outrage" culture and not "level-headed" culture or "composed" culture. Outrage culture totally removes the means of having civil and objective dialogue, it's why people hate it so much. Do something innocuous that wasn't ever meant to hurt anybody and you have people jumping down your throat calling you all kinds of nasty words and already deciding on your character and what type of person you are when they don't even know you in real life. Intent is everything and so many people don't care about intent or nuance anymore. They comb through sentences in type and audio to try to find things instead of letting those bad things organically find them. That completely eliminates any hope of meaningful dialogue.

There is no convincing anyone who is so shallow as to have made their mind up about someone they don't even know over innocuous things or isolated things. If you said some small thing on here in a post, and I called you a racist, then why even bother to engage me? If I'm so blind and shallow as to label you that over something so small, the whole incentive to debate and engage is lost, and frankly, I've seen those situations play out, those debates and discussions never get anywhere. It's just one person trying to defend their character, with the other person twisting words and spending the whole discussion trying to prove that they are what they said they are.

But anyway, all this aside, my point is when you do something innocent, but somehow for illogical and asinine reasons that make no sense, a bunch of idiots somehow try to twist that thing into some knock on your character, and suddenly when you did nothing wrong, you have a bunch of rabid, bloodthirsty people trying to ruin your life and say nasty things about you on social media, that can lead to depression and a major knock on your self-confidence. And there is no one the outrage machine won't target. From young teens to adults. It's just not good. It's a very tenuous environment.

Last edited:

Dunki

Didnt we already show you an example of outrage culture with Tim Hunt? How many do you need? 100? I am sure I can easily find them.

You have found images of white people like Tim Wise drinking from white tears mugs?

Please do share.

Social media seems to lead to more depression for a variety of reasons. I read a study one time that more than 50% of people who use Facebook feel worse about themselves after using it than before they logged on. It exposes you to this new wave of outrage culture that has risen over the last several years where hoards of people harass you over stupid bull**** like "culture appropriation" of your prom dress and haircuts. Having hundreds of people who don't even know you tell you how horrible you are for no reason can't be good for mental health. You're also constantly exposed to women and things you can't or won't have and people who are alone are constantly reminded that people out there are happier and wealthier than them. Not good for people who already lack self confidence.

People are out of shape and don't exercise. Mind and body are connected, if your body feels like **** your mind will feel like ****.

You say a lot of good stuff, but then you cite outrage culture as an impetus for people committing suicide.

No. Ain't nobody committing suicide because someone took them to task about cultural appropriation. No quotation marks because it is an actual academic term that has been written on and studied for a long time.

Social media heightens people's sense of inadequacy, because people rarely discuss their struggles, and more often than not only show their good sides.

Social media can also inundate folks with everything WRONG with the world. This is actually one reason I started using Twitter: distrust of MSM (long before "fake news") and I wanted to get information from people on-the-ground-as-it-happened, Charlottesville last year, Stoneman Douglas High School this year (when students were live-tweeting as they were hiding from the active shooter).

Social Media creates a Riddler situation in Batman Forever. Not everyone can handle that much information; it might be too much.

Enosh

You have found images of white people like Tim Wise drinking from white tears mugs?

Please do share.
I've read his hate filled rant at the 2010 election, the original one before he edited it to remove some of the bile
I was a liberal Obama supporter back then, that essay opened my eyes to how much people like Tim Wise hate me and my family

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You say a lot of good stuff, but then you cite outrage culture as an impetus for people committing suicide.

No. Ain't nobody committing suicide because someone took them to task about cultural appropriation. No quotation marks because it is an actual academic term that has been written on and studied for a long time.

Social media heightens people's sense of inadequacy, because people rarely discuss their struggles, and more often than not only show their good sides.

Social media can also inundate folks with everything WRONG with the world. This is actually one reason I started using Twitter: distrust of MSM (long before "fake news") and I wanted to get information from people on-the-ground-as-it-happened, Charlottesville last year, Stoneman Douglas High School this year (when students were live-tweeting as they were hiding from the active shooter).

Social Media creates a Riddler situation in Batman Forever. Not everyone can handle that much information; it might be too much.

Someone being ripped for something as stupid and illogical as Cultural appropriation was just an example of what could lead to suicidal thoughts. Not necessarily directly cause someone to kill themselves, though it’s a case by case basis obviously. Everyone has a different psyche, some more fragile than others. If a teenage girl wears a southeast Asian style prom dress, and hundreds of people attack her for no good reason and over something so ridiculous and make her feel small and bad about herself, that could absolutely be a trigger that leads if not directly to suicide, depression and negative thoughts that gets the ball rolling, when combined with other negative life experiences, it all adds up.

But people have killed themselves over social media before. Bullying is a major issue on social media, and when we think of bullying we typically envision high school kids picking on other high school kids through social media, and that’s true, that is bullying, but the example I stayed above(which was a real life thing that happened) is also technically bullying as well by every sense of the definition. To attack and belittle others for no reason is absolutely bullying, and bullying is a major catalyst in suicide rates today.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I think outrage culture removes dialogue. That's why it's called "outrage" culture and not "level-headed" culture or "composed" culture. Outrage culture totally removes the means of having civil and objective dialogue, it's why people hate it so much. Do something innocuous that wasn't ever meant to hurt anybody and you have people jumping down your throat calling you all kinds of nasty words and already deciding on your character and what type of person you are when they don't even know you in real life. Intent is everything and so many people don't care about intent or nuance anymore. They comb through sentences in type and audio to try to find things instead of letting those bad things organically find them. That completely eliminates any hope of meaningful dialogue.

There is no convincing anyone who is so shallow as to have made their mind up about someone they don't even know over innocuous things or isolated things. If you said some small thing on here in a post, and I called you a racist, then why even bother to engage me? If I'm so blind and shallow as to label you that over something so small, the whole incentive to debate and engage is lost, and frankly, I've seen those situations play out, those debates and discussions never get anywhere. It's just one person trying to defend their character, with the other person twisting words and spending the whole discussion trying to prove that they are what they said they are.

But anyway, all this aside, my point is when you do something innocent, but somehow for illogical and asinine reasons that make no sense, a bunch of idiots somehow try to twist that thing into some knock on your character, and suddenly when you did nothing wrong, you have a bunch of rabid, bloodthirsty people trying to ruin your life and say nasty things about you on social media, that can lead to depression and a major knock on your self-confidence. And there is no one the outrage machine won't target. From young teens to adults. It's just not good. It's a very tenuous environment.

I'm sorry, but it honestly sounds like you are just explaining to me the down sides to social media and/or the internet. There's SO many things in your post that you said that I bolded that's literally ALWAYS existed from the perspective of a black person in America that it's wrong to wrap my mind around the fact that it's this new "culture" that popped up. Let me show you what I mean in pictures. Because to me this "thing" that you are explaining has always existed.

Black kids just wanting to go to school
1960no.jpg

eckfordlr1957.jpg

Many people in the 90s wanted to ban and/or censor gangsta rap music. Dolores Tucker being one of them. And many others agreed with her.
130809-Worst-of-the-90s-C.-Delores.jpg

Outrage at video games over 10 years ago
Protest%20GTA%204%20Glenn.jpg

Protest%20GTA%204%20Glenn%20again.jpg

Protest%20GTA%204%20Jack.jpg

And lastly many people were co-called outraged that a pro athelete didn't stand up during the national anthem. Of course this is recent.
Screen-Shot-2016-09-02-at-11.51.14-PM-702x336.png

Didnt we already show you an example of outrage culture with Tim Hunt? How many do you need? 100? I am sure I can easily find them.

You guys make it sound as if it's new. That's where I'm lost.

The bolded is perfectly said. That's why I'm trying to show these guys that people have been mad at other people for illogical reasons before in the past. It's nothing new. The only thing new is that in the past people didn't have as much of a way to tell us how bad they thought we were, every day and all through out the day.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I never mentioned race once in my post, I don't know why you are coming back at me with race-centric points. I generally try to avoid debates about race, they go nowhere fast. Outrage culture covers a vast spectrum of all types of things, politically and socially. Other posters here may have touched on the racial angle of issues, but I didn't reference race once in my posts. I brought up cultural appropriation, which is one of my pet peeves in life, but that's another thing entirely.

And when I said "new" outrage culture phenomenon, I was talking the wave on social media and the ridiculousness of combing through things to be upset about. There never has been a time where people got upset by such irrelevant and meaningless issues as we did today. The term "outrage culture" at least how I use it and how I know other people use it generally refers to people getting outraged and upset over meaningless bullshit. People getting outraged over things that have merit and issues of importance doesn't qualify for the term "outrage culture" IMO. So know that's what I was referencing when I used the term, even if you disagree with my characterization of it.

Last edited:
When I read "race debates go nowhere," I'm thinking they simply don't go in your favor DragoonKain DragoonKain . Compounded with your umbrage with cultural appropriation, I already know where you stand.

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 simply demonstrated through Civil Rights that there is precedence that "outrage" can be legitimate. He used that example because it is relevant.

I already said that cultural appropriation is an academic term, so your distaste for it gives me the impression that you are unfamiliar with sociological concepts such as assimilation, acculturation, accommodation, cultural diffusion, and the like. Appropriation comes from similar schools of thought under multiculturalism.

LordPezix

Welcome to the side effects of pride, greed, gluttony, lust, envy, wrath, and sloth.

Most of us were told as a child that the primary sins were crimes against humanity and look where we are ending up.

I'm not even religious but you don't have to be a genius to see the outcomes of such lifestyle choices.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
When I read "race debates go nowhere," I'm thinking they simply don't go in your favor DragoonKain DragoonKain . Compounded with your umbrage with cultural appropriation, I already know where you stand.

mckmas8808 mckmas8808 simply demonstrated through Civil Rights that there is precedence that "outrage" can be legitimate. He used that example because it is relevant.

I already said that cultural appropriation is an academic term, so your distaste for it gives me the impression that you are unfamiliar with sociological concepts such as assimilation, acculturation, accommodation, cultural diffusion, and the like. Appropriation comes from similar schools of thought under multiculturalism.

I don't debate race topics very often, so that would be a false assumption.

You have no idea where I stand on anything, another false assumption other than the fact that the whole concept of cultural appropriation is absolutely absurd and in itself. Cultural appropriation is not a race issue. The people who try to make it one are incredibly misguided. America is a melting pot of cultures. No one has any right to tell a human being what brand of culture they are allowed to embrace or dabble in. Anyone who thinks otherwise is most likely the one with racial preconceptions, not the one who was culture blind enough to just take something as face value and try it for themselves.

Last edited:

entremet

I'd say it seems more of a symptom of the breakdown of community. Putnam's Bowling Alone describe this. We're a very isolated culture in the US. But we're a highly tribal species. Yes, even the most introverted.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

You have no idea where I stand on anything, another false assumption other than the fact that the whole concept of cultural appropriation is absolutely absurd and in itself. Cultural appropriation is not a race issue. The people who try to make it one are incredibly misguided. America is a melting pot of cultures. No one has any right to tell a human being what brand of culture they are allowed to embrace or dabble in. Anyone who thinks otherwise is most likely the one with racial preconceptions, not the one who was culture blind enough to just take something as face value and try it for themselves.

I didn't make your statements a "race" issue. I used some "race" issues to demonstrate that outrage has existed for decades. In the 50s and 60s many white people were "outraged" that black parents simply wanted their kids to go to the best schools in the area that they lived in. They didn't want to "get to know" the black families that they were yelling at. They didn't want to converse with them at all.

And how do you define what's "important" to be upset about? And why do you think you should be the judge of that? Don't you feel that it's out of your scope to define what other people should get upset or be disappointed over? Do you not understand why some people might be upset with someone that does this for a party?

The girl is supposed to be Nicki Minaj and the dude on the right is Kanye West.
racist-ass-halloween-costumes.jpg

Nah son, I know your type. You provided all the necessary context clues.

Read more, write less, and you'll be able to do the same

Dunki

Let me translate this for you:

"you are white straight male (assumed his race and probably also gender and sexuality). You have no opinion that is worth it so shut the fuck up and listen. Also believe everything minorities say because they are smart not lying and non stupid compared to white people like you are. "

got ya.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

Hahaha. Spoken like someone who can’t win an argument so you project bullshit onto people you don’t even know. Pure ignorance. You can’t even give me one reason cultural appropriation is a logical thing. Assuming things about people you don’t know... sounds a little, do you say... prejudice? 🤔

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I didn't make your statements a "race" issue. I used some "race" issues to demonstrate that outrage has existed for decades. In the 50s and 60s many white people were "outraged" that black parents simply wanted their kids to go to the best schools in the area that they lived in. They didn't want to "get to know" the black families that they were yelling at. They didn't want to converse with them at all.

And how do you define what's "important" to be upset about? And why do you think you should be the judge of that? Don't you feel that it's out of your scope to define what other people should get upset or be disappointed over? Do you not understand why some people might be upset with someone that does this for a party?

The girl is supposed to be Nicki Minaj and the dude on the right is Kanye West.
racist-ass-halloween-costumes.jpg
Logic and reason and intelligence decides what is important and what isn’t. At some point in life, regardless of what it is, people have to decide what is important and what isn’t, and that’s generally based on logic and reason. Logic and reason tell me that things like civil rights, equal rights, gay marriage, healthcare, etc are things important enough to get outraged about. They are life and death issues that directly relate to ones livelihood. I don’t think it takes a genius to figure out what in life is worth getting upset over and what isn’t. You gotta pick your battles, man.

Wearing a southeast Asian style prom dress is not. Anyone who is a bright and intelligent person who uses logic and reason would draw the same conclusion. People can get pissed off at anything they want, that doesn’t make them right. At the end of the day miserable people are going to be miserable and it really doesn’t do them any good in their lives. We can go over a million different examples that would fall under the outrage culture umbrella, but I used a couple specific examples and was mainly referring to examples like that. Petty nonsense like telling a teenager what dress she can or can’t wear, telling a person what hairstyle they can or cannot wear and telling Bruno Mars what songs he can or cannot sing. So let’s focus on those. Do you feel the outrage over those things are legitimate? If so, why?

mckmas8808

Hahaha. Spoken like someone who can’t win an argument so you project bullshit onto people you don’t even know. Pure ignorance. You can’t even give me one reason cultural appropriation is a logical thing.

Okay I'll bite.....

So you think this is cool?

cornrows_really%203.jpg

cornrows_really%202.jpg

cornrows_really.jpg

Logic and reason and intelligence decides what is important and what isn’t. At some point in life, regardless of what it is, people have to decide what is important and what isn’t, and that’s generally based on logic and reason. Logic and reason tell me that things like civil rights, equal rights, gay marriage, healthcare, etc are things important enough to get outraged about. They are life and death issues that directly relate to ones livelihood. I don’t think it takes a genius to figure out what in life is worth getting upset over and what isn’t. You gotta pick your battles, man.

Wearing a southeast Asian style prom dress is not. Anyone who is a bright and intelligent person who uses logic and reason would draw the same conclusion. People can get pissed off at anything they want, that doesn’t make them right. At the end of the day miserable people are going to be miserable and it really doesn’t do them any good in their lives. We can go over a million different examples that would fall under the outrage culture umbrella, but I used a couple specific examples and was mainly referring to examples like that. Petty nonsense like telling a teenager what dress she can or can’t wear, telling a person what hairstyle they can or cannot wear and telling Bruno Mars what songs he can or cannot sing. So let’s focus on those. Do you feel the outrage over those things are legitimate? If so, why?

It depends on the situation. If you are trying to claim something that you didn't come up with or was never apart of your culture or life, then yeah I have a problem with that. It doesn't mean I'm miserable. Many black women have been fired or never hired due to their hairstyle and that stuff can lead to depression and suicide like this thread is about. You know....to not be accept by the masses. But then to see someone that's outside the culture just steal it and "BOOM" now it's so-called "popular" isn't cool.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have zero problem with anyone wearing cornrows. Whether they are white or Latino or whatever race they are. Nor should anyone else. It’s a freaking hairstyle dude. What planet am I living on here?

No one “owns” any culture and no one is trying to “claim” it. It’s a style of hair. If someone wants to dabble in it because they like it, they can wear whatever hairstyle they want. Actually, it’s the biggest sign of respect to any culture to gravitate toward it. Everything we do in life all the way down to the smallest things from the way we talk., way we eat, what we eat, events we partake in, etc are all parts of cultures being adopted from one to the next over time. That’s how society grows. That’s how people grow. You share cultures, learn, and grow with one another.

You can’t “steal” ones culture, it’s not a possession. Go out and wear whatever clothes or hairstyle you want regardless of what race or nationality you are. That’s what being a happy society is all about. Self-expression. And the evolution of our race and as a society is adapting and growing.

I can’t even believe such a thing is even a discussion it’s so absurd.

Last edited:

Helios

Stop trying to bait him into a racial debate, asshole. You're not contributing to the discussion by bringing race into everything. And get off your high horse.

Last edited:
Hahaha. Spoken like someone who can’t win an argument so you project bull**** onto people you don’t even know. Pure ignorance. You can’t even give me one reason cultural appropriation is a logical thing. Assuming things about people you don’t know... sounds a little, do you say... prejudice? 🤔

I linked to a whole Atlantic article on the subject of cultural appropriation. Here is a Wikipedia entry on the topic.

Whether or not you care for it is irrelevant. It exists. It is a thing. There is no "argument" for me to "win" because you already lost.

Stop trying to bait him into a racial debate, ****. You're not contributing to the discussion by bringing race into everything. And get off your high horse.

All you got is flaming huh?

My horse is so high, you gonna need a space shuttle to reach me. Too bad for you; NASA retired them, so you'll never be on my level, sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Obviously the term exists otherwise I wouldn't have used it. I'm saying it's a fabrication, it's made up, it's gross hyperbole, no logical or rational human being pays any attention to it. It only exists in the world of miserable and angry people who struggle to find happiness and want to stay miserable and angry. Happy, logical, self-confident people choose to freely express themselves by any means they so desire. No one has any right to tell another person what cultures they can and cannot adopt.

I honestly don't even know what your overall point was. You've taken the whole discussion way off topic, because you nitpicked a "trigger word" out of a post I made about ways to cut down on depression and suicide, and used it to promote some odd and illogical agenda. If you actually want to discuss something sane, by all means.

mckmas8808

I have zero problem with anyone wearing cornrows. Whether they are white or Latino or whatever race they are. Nor should anyone else. It’s a freaking hairstyle dude. What planet am I living on here?

No one “owns” any culture and no one is trying to “claim” it. It’s a style of hair. If someone wants to dabble in it because they like it, they can wear whatever hairstyle they want. Actually, it’s the biggest sign of respect to any culture to gravitate toward it. Everything we do in life all the way down to the smallest things from the way we talk., way we eat, what we eat, events we partake in, etc are all parts of cultures being adopted from one to the next over time. That’s how society grows. That’s how people grow. You share cultures, learn, and grow with one another.

You can’t “steal” ones culture, it’s not a possession. Go out and wear whatever clothes or hairstyle you want regardless of what race or nationality you are. That’s what being a happy society is all about. Self-expression. And the evolution of our race and as a society is adapting and growing.

I can’t even believe such a thing is even a discussion it’s so absurd.

You clearly don't get it and I'm glad I know that going forward. Your lack of respect for what someone is typing to you (even with pictures of articles claiming the hairstyles) is remarkable. You are clearly closed minded and don't want to have a conversation about this and that's fine.

But many musicians from the 40s and 50s really disagree with you that a culture or style can't be stolen. It was literally stolen and sold for profit, while the ones that created it got crumbs. People have gotten FIRED for wearing hairstyles, that now are considered "okay" because a certain sect of people decided it was okay for them.

The best way to respect someone's culture is to at the very least "Acknowledge it" first. The fact that you can't even do that tells me everything that I need to know. Luckily for me I understand what's happening here and it won't depress me like it would have a couple years back.

Obviously the term exists otherwise I wouldn't have used it. I'm saying it's a fabrication, it's made up, it's gross hyperbole, no logical or rational human being pays any attention to it. It only exists in the world of miserable and angry people who struggle to find happiness and want to stay miserable and angry. Happy, logical, self-confident people choose to freely express themselves by any means they so desire. No one has any right to tell another person what cultures they can and cannot adopt.

I honestly don't even know what your overall point was. You've taken the whole discussion way off topic, because you nitpicked a "trigger word" out of a post I made about ways to cut down on depression and suicide, and used it to promote some odd and illogical agenda. If you actually want to discuss something sane, by all means.

The fact that people with Ph.D.s take cultural appropriation seriously does not do justice to your claim that "logical" or "rational" humans ignore it. But keep pouting.

My point was the same as mckmas8808 mckmas8808 's. Your claim that "outrage culture" leads to suicide is unfounded. Furthermore, what you perceive as new phenomenon that has emerged from social media isn't new at all.

I've read his hate filled rant at the 2010 election, the original one before he edited it to remove some of the bile
I was a liberal Obama supporter back then, that essay opened my eyes to how much people like Tim Wise hate me and my family

Still waiting on those images of people like Stephen Colbert or Ellen drinking from a "white tears" mug, since you believe that the only people who talk about white privilege hate white people.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
You clearly don't get it and I'm glad I know that going forward. Your lack of respect for what someone is typing to you (even with pictures of articles claiming the hairstyles) is remarkable. You are clearly closed minded and don't want to have a conversation about this and that's fine.

But many musicians from the 40s and 50s really disagree with you that a culture or style can't be stolen. It was literally stolen and sold for profit, while the ones that created it got crumbs. People have gotten FIRED for wearing hairstyles, that now are considered "okay" because a certain sect of people decided it was okay for them.

The best way to respect someone's culture is to at the very least "Acknowledge it" first. The fact that you can't even do that tells me everything that I need to know. Luckily for me I understand what's happening here and it won't depress me like it would have a couple years back.

I explained to you why it can't be "stolen" because there is no ownership of it. It can be borrowed. No one has official ownership of a culture. People adopt and adapt as they go, that's how functioning societies work. And I'm not sure what someone getting fired for a haircut has to do with any of this. Take that up with the people who did the firing. Totally a separate issue from societal acceptance.

And I'm not sure where you got that I don't "acknowledge" a culture from either. You just keep using straw man arguments, hyperbole, changing the focus of the issue. I have said nothing of the sort. I honestly don't know why you are so fired up about any of this, you seem like you have a lot of built up anger within you, and to that I am sorry.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The fact that people with Ph.D.s take cultural appropriation seriously does not do justice to your claim that "logical" or "rational" humans ignore it. But keep pouting.

My point was the same as mckmas8808 mckmas8808 's. Your claim that "outrage culture" leads to suicide is unfounded. Furthermore, what you perceive as new phenomenon that has emerged from social media isn't new at all.

Still waiting on those images of people like Stephen Colbert or Ellen drinking from a "white tears" mug, since you believe that the only people who talk about white privilege hate white people.

I explained earlier why it can be a contributing factor to suicide. Outrage culture people tend to bully and attack. Bullying has been proven to be a catalyst for suicide.

You still haven't explained to me what cultural appropriation means to you and why you take it seriously. Please go into detail, because I'd love to hear your thoughts on it and why it's important. You keep referencing other people. Tell me what you think. I don't care about Joe Schmoe PhD. They aren't here to discuss it.

Last edited:

Dunki

I linked to a whole Atlantic article on the subject of cultural appropriation. Here is a Wikipedia entry on the topic.

Whether or not you care for it is irrelevant. It exists. It is a thing. There is no "argument" for me to "win" because you already lost.

All you got is flaming huh?

My horse is so high, you gonna need a space shuttle to reach me. Too bad for you; NASA retired them, so you'll never be on my level, sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
First of all it is a social construct nothing else. IT is a made up word to define something people are getting triggered by.

Secondly "Black culture" does not own ANYTHING. This kind of hairstyle by the way was found earliest in Greece. Vikings had it as well. And EVERYONE can wear this and everyone can also judge it. And here is another thing. You want a function society than they mish. You want a melting pot Because this will happen. People will adopt things from other cultures and they should. BE it food : Example the GErman Pizza has nothing to do with the real Italian pizza because people here changed the style to the taste of the people living in Germany. Same with PASTA.

Wearing a fucking natice custom is as bad as wearing a knight costume. They are not cultures they are fasion Items like a TOGA for a TOGA party etc.

Also some other advice if you get pissed of at every little thing in the world you wont have a good live at all. And while you sit there and demand people to respect other cultures other ones have fun doing this at carneval.

13_01_indianer.jpg
Von-wachsenden-Stiften-und-Karnevalshassern-am-Marterpfahl-2100-Jecken-beim-Delbruecker-Kinderumzug_image_630_420f_wn.jpg

A Ph-D in women studies for example does mean shit. Jsut because you have a Ph.D does not mean you are right or not a lying piece of shit. (aka modern feminism)

Also the note that outrage culture in which people basically in mobmentality Lynch people on the internet is ridiculous.

Just one Example

August Ames killed herself after a social justice outrage

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So many cultures date back thousands of years, no one actually knows for certain in many cases where these cultures or styles originated(not that it even matters). To suggest that it is wrong for a person to style their hair to their liking is not only crazy, it's quite fascist. I think trying things that other cultures are known for is the ultimate sign of respect. The previous poster brought up music, if no one shared another's musical cultural style, then we wouldn't have any music today. There'd be one artist(or group) for each genre, because anyone who dabbled in it would be "stealing" it. Everything we do in this country was pretty much adopted from another culture. I mean, if you really want to get specific with it, our whole banking system was adopted from Ancient Roman-style influences. You can do it with literally anything. But at the end of the day we are all free to try different things, and if that bothers someone, that says a lot more about the person it bothers than the person who is merely using their right of free expression to style their hair or clothing the way they desire and that makes them happy.

mckmas8808

So many cultures date back thousands of years, no one actually knows for certain in many cases where these cultures or styles originated(not that it even matters). To suggest that it is wrong for a person to style their hair to their liking is not only crazy, it's quite fascist. I think trying things that other cultures are known for is the ultimate sign of respect. The previous poster brought up music, if no one shared another's musical cultural style, then we wouldn't have any music today. There'd be one artist(or group) for each genre, because anyone who dabbled in it would be "stealing" it. Everything we do in this country was pretty much adopted from another culture. I mean, if you really want to get specific with it, our whole banking system was adopted from Ancient Roman-style influences. You can do it with literally anything. But at the end of the day we are all free to try different things, and if that bothers someone, that says a lot more about the person it bothers than the person who is merely using their right of free expression to style their hair or clothing the way they desire and that makes them happy.

Wear the hair how you want, just give credit. That's all. Is that really that hard. We actually do know where the styles came from. That's the thing. You still can't give credit can you? I'm not sure this convo is going anywhere....

Dunki

Wear the hair how you want, just give credit. That's all. Is that really that hard. We actually do know where the styles came from. That's the thing. You still can't give credit can you? I'm not sure this convo is going anywhere....
No we do not. Earliest founds where in Greece. Vikings had the same hairstyle and do we even know that they came into contact with Africans? History is way to complex to certainly say where something came from in these early ages. Stuff like his can have multiple origins

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Okay I'll bite.....

So you think this is cool?

cornrows_really%203.jpg

cornrows_really%202.jpg

cornrows_really.jpg

It depends on the situation. If you are trying to claim something that you didn't come up with or was never apart of your culture or life, then yeah I have a problem with that. It doesn't mean I'm miserable. Many black women have been fired or never hired due to their hairstyle and that stuff can lead to depression and suicide like this thread is about. You know....to not be accept by the masses. But then to see someone that's outside the culture just steal it and "BOOM" now it's so-called "popular" isn't cool.
Vikings had corn rows. Many other people did. Shit the native mexicans had a form of it lol.

Why would people give credit to people that haven't done anything? Whoever invented that ugly hairstyle is long dead. People and their "mah race" bs jfc. Cultural Ap is retarded. Shit, give me credit for makeup, blonde hair, contacts, electricity, the internet, ect ect. Do it everytime unless you want to offend my people ok?

Last edited by a moderator:

mckmas8808

No we do not. Earliest founds where in Greece. Vikings had the same hairstyle and do we even know that they came into contact with Africans? History is way to complex to certainly say where something came from in these early ages. Stuff like his can have multiple origins

Once again white people stay trying to steal stuff that they didn't create. My man.......you really think Greecians and Vikings created cornrows? Africans had the hairstyle thousands of years ago. It literally works best with our hair texture. It's more natural for us to have cornrows purely due to the texture of our hair. It's freaking OK to allow somebody other than white people create everything on the planet.

Other races have contributed to this Earth too you know.

Dunki

Once again white people stay trying to steal stuff that they didn't create. My man.......you really think Greecians and Vikings created cornrows? Africans had the hairstyle thousands of years ago. It literally works best with our hair texture. It's more natural for us to have cornrows purely due to the texture of our hair. It's freaking OK to allow somebody other than white people create everything on the planet.

Other races have contributed to this Earth too you know.
Ok....

sorry only wikipedia

The oldest known reproduction of hair braiding may go back about 30,000 years: the Venus of Willendorf, now known in academia as the Woman of Willendorf, is a female figurine estimated to have been made between about 28,000 and 25,000 BCE.[5] It has been disputed whether or not she wears braided hair or some sort of a woven basket on her head. The Venus of Brassempouy is estimated to be about 25,000 years old and shows, ostensibly, a braided hairstyle.

The Venus of Willendorf is an 11.1-centimetre-tall (4.4 in) Venus figurine estimated to have been made 30,000 BCE.[1] [2] It was found on August 7, 1908 by a workman named Johann Veran[3] or Josef Veram[4] during excavations conducted by archaeologists Josef Szombathy, Hugo Obermaier and Josef Bayer at a paleolithic site near Willendorf, a village in Lower Austria near the town of Krems.

The figure is believed to have been carved during the European Upper Paleolithic, or "Old Stone Age", a period of prehistory starting around 30,000 BCE.[6] A wide variety of dates have been proposed. Following a revised analysis of the stratigraphy of the site where the statuette was discovered, carried out in 1990, the figure was estimated to have been carved between 24,000 and 22,000 BCE.[5] More recent estimates push the date back slightly to between about 28,000 and 25,000 BCE. In a 2009 reexamination of the stratigraphy at the site, researchers estimated that the age of the archaeological layer in which the figurine was found is about 30,000 years before our time.

I am going by facts. And except you are actually believing that these archelogists and historians are just want to hold the black people down for a fucking hairstyle then we should go with science or? Again a Hairstyle can be created EVERYWHERE at multiple places at the same or different time.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Really shows how disposable people are and how disrespectful people can be when they have an agenda to preach.

Here we are, crying back and forth about hair fucking styles when the topic is rising suicide rates.

Maybe the walk-on-eggshell society that some people are trying to enforce through public shaming and vigorous shouting-down is contributing to the epidemic. I certainly would feel depressed if I saw a hairstyle in a magazine that I liked, spent my hard-earned money to wear it, and then was told that I didn't "go about it properly" because I didn't submit my "provide thanks and credit to the proper race who made your hairstyle" form to the Thought Police.

What's sad is you're throwing around quotes and figures from scholars, playing the game of intellectuals. You're insincere and calloused idiots.

mckmas8808

Ok....

sorry only wikipedia

I am going by facts. And except you are actually believing that these archelogists and historians are just want to hold the black people down for a fucking hairstyle then we should go with science or? Again a Hairstyle can be created EVERYWHERE at multiple places at the same or different time.

OH!...............I just realized you don't know the difference between "cornrows" and "braids". This is embarrassing. I forgot I wasn't speaking to someone of the culture. My bad. I was talking about cornrows, not "braids". There's a HUGE difference.

OH!...............I just realized you don't know the difference between "cornrows" and "braids". This is embarrassing. I forgot I wasn't speaking to someone of the culture. My bad. I was talking about cornrows, not "braids". There's a HUGE difference.

I enjoyed a *MIGHTY* chuckle at the suggestion that braided hair = cornrows.

Remember those terms I listed? Assimilation, acculturation, accommodation, cultural diffusion, multiculturalism?

Crazy how much folks don't know about cultures that are not of their own heritage.

mckmas8808

I enjoyed a *MIGHTY* chuckle at the suggestion that braided hair = cornrows.

Remember those terms I listed? Assimilation, acculturation, accommodation, cultural diffusion, multiculturalism?

Crazy how much folks don't know about cultures that are not of their own heritage.

Yeah it really hit me that we aren't speaking to people that understand people from within our culture. First time something like that hit me and caught me 100% off guard.

Helios

It's freaking OK to allow somebody other than white people create everything on the planet.
But it's not OK for someone other than their creators to use it for some reason.
But then to see someone that's outside the culture just steal it and "BOOM" now it's so-called "popular" isn't cool.
My bad, it's only bad if it's used by another race AND popular. What the hell even is your point, my dude? People know cornrows originate from African cultures, this is not changing. Should white people with cornrows have a "AFRICAN ORIGIN HAIRCUT. HANDLE WITH CARE" tattoo etched on their head agent 47 style?
Also don't make it sound like there's a HUGE difference between cornrows and braids. Are they different? Yes, they each have their own pattern but they're both made by interlacing strands of hair. It's the same as not knowing the diffrence between Classic Pompadour and Loose Pompadour. It's not racism, Assimilation, acculturation, accommodation, cultural diffusion, multiculturalism, it's just that they look similar.

Last edited:

Just off the top of my head, I remember there was a porn actress who said she wouldn't shoot scenes with gay men, because of the increased risk of HIV. People defending her opinion came out with arguments related to the increased risk of HIV from anal sex, her right to decide who she has sex with, and the fact that much of the gay porn community uses condoms while on set. This was argued to be the case, because the community itself recognized the higher risk their community has of contracting HIV while not filming.

This could have resulted in a healthy dialogue "I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree" type thing. Instead, people told her she was scum, and told her she should kill herself. At the time, she was suffering from depression. She attempted to explain her feelings for a day or so, and then she took her own life.

So yes. People can definitely commit suicide because someone "took them to task" over social justice.

Just off the top of my head, I remember there was a porn actress who said she wouldn't shoot scenes with gay men, because of the increased risk of HIV. People defending her opinion came out with arguments related to the increased risk of HIV from anal sex, her right to decide who she has sex with, and the fact that much of the gay porn community uses condoms while on set. This was argued to be the case, because the community itself recognized the higher risk their community has of contracting HIV while not filming.

This could have resulted in a healthy dialogue "I can see where you're coming from, but I disagree" type thing. Instead, people told her she was scum, and told her she should kill herself. At the time, she was suffering from depression. She attempted to explain her feelings for a day or so, and then she took her own life.

So yes. People can definitely commit suicide because someone "took them to task" over social justice.

Nah.

She committed suicide because she realized that her "profession" is whoring, and that she would never be anything more than that.

Bree Olson was also crying about how "nobody takes her seriously" after she was taking the D from Lex Steele and...who was that actor who was dating two women at one time, including her? She didn't take her life tho.

That said, porn actresses taking their lives (or simply dying early for a number of unnatural reasons) is not uncommon.

Nah.

She committed suicide because she realized that her "profession" is whoring, and that she would never be anything more than that.

Ironic that you would say something like this, and still present yourself as a moral authority. It reminds me of the judgmental holier than thou religious right that I came to dislike so much while growing up as a conservative Christian. And then the left became what they so despised.

But that's not an issue with religion, it's an issue with the religious. You can choose to live your life by "judge not, lest ye be judged" whether you believe in God or not, whether you're conservative or liberal.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

But it's not OK for someone other than their creators to use it for some reason.

My bad, it's only bad if it's used by another race AND popular. What the hell even is your point, my dude? People know cornrows originate from African cultures, this is not changing. Should white people with cornrows have a "AFRICAN ORIGIN HAIRCUT. HANDLE WITH CARE" tattoo etched on their head agent 47 style?
Also don't make it sound like there's a HUGE difference between cornrows and braids. Are they different? Yes, they each have their own pattern but they're both made by interlacing strands of hair. It's the same as not knowing the diffrence between Classic Pompadour and Loose Pompadour. It's not racism, Assimilation, acculturation, accommodation, cultural diffusion, multiculturalism, it's just that they look similar.

I never said this was racism. People who know the culture understand the difference. And you ask what I want? Just acknowledgment that the hairstyle you are wearing didn't originate from people that were white. Or that now cornrows are cool. That's it! I've never asked for anything else. It's amazing that people have such a problem just acknowledging that they are borrowing from a culture.

Ironic that you would say something like this, and still present yourself as a moral authority. It reminds me of the judgmental holier than thou religious right that I came to dislike so much while growing up as a conservative Christian. And then the left became what they so despised.

But that's not an issue with religion, it's an issue with the religious. You can choose to live your life by "judge not, least ye be judged" whether you believe in God or not, whether you're conservative or liberal.

Not sure what your point is.

The layman's translation of that scripture is "don't judge hypocritically." I'm not a pornstar. In fact, I'm very anti-porn because of how destructive it is, both for those who produce it, and also for those who consume it.

Top Bottom