• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR is *supposedly* Scaling Back Cyberpunk 2077 Support to Work on Expansion | IGN Article

As for their source, it seems like they extrapolated that information from CDPR's Q3 2021 financial reports because I didn't see any other sources
CD Projekt Red has been gradually shifting to new projects while continuing to support Cyberpunk 2077. The studio is also allocating more resources to work on the game's expansion.

In CD Projekt Red's Q3 earnings report, it shows that the majority of the company was still supporting Cyberpunk 2077 up until the end of September this year. Now CD Projekt is focused on Cyberpunk 2077's impending expansion along with Gwent-related projects and projects involving Spokko, another studio under the CD Projekt umbrella.
xJZlOVd.jpg

And if this really is their source, it seems like more work is still being done on the base game, although the article makes it seem like their focus has shifted onto the other content. Or maybe that's just how I understood it

Additionally, the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S versions of Cyberpunk 2077 and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt are still on track for their respective Q1 and Q2 2022 releases. This new version of The Witcher 3 will also contain extra items inspired by the Netflix adaptation of the series. They were originally both supposed to release during the second half of this year but were delayed to 2022.
CD Projekt also mentions its Vancouver branch as well as its recent acquisition of Molasses Flood, as they will be working on future projects for the company. Molasses Flood was acquired last month and the studio announced that it is working on its own brand new project based on one of CD Projekt's IPs.

Currently, it's unclear what Cyberpunk 2077's expansion will be and whether it could implement something like multiplayer. We'll just have to wait and see until next year.

gundalf

My PS4 copy is still sealed waiting for the PS5 upgrade to be finally available. Although I still don't understand why we need a dedicated Next Gen Version and make all the fuss about it, just recompile it with the PS5 SDK to unlock 4K60FPS and call it a day, would had been fine enough in my book 🤷‍♂️

But I'm very also curious to see how much an add-on would sell with the current stance of the CP2077 brand in the market.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
It seems the support team scaled down in favor of the expansion dev team, which makes sense. You don't need the entire development team for bug fixes, and QOL improvements can be slotted in the expansion dev team.

So yeah, this means nothing really but does make for a sensationalist headline and kneejerk reactions.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Although I still don't understand why we need a dedicated Next Gen Version and make all the fuss about it, just recompile it with the PS5 SDK to unlock 4K60FPS and call it a day, would had been fine enough in my book 🤷‍♂️

It's the best excuse they have to "relaunch" CP2077 as more of a complete package. 4K60 doesn't fix the myriad problems with the game so they might as well go for broke and release the PS5/XSX versions 18 months later as "definitive".

ne1butu

Completed it once on PS5, then I’ll do it again when the patch comes out. I thoroughly enjoyed my play through . One of the most visually striking games I’ve ever played, but more city life needed on the version I played.

GymWolf

Gold Member
If they can at least balance the fuck out from the vanilla game and his joke challenge and super op hacking i'm okay with that, on pc it was never as bad as the console version.

Last edited:

TastyPastry

doesn't sound good. the support the game received in the last 12 months has been very lackluster. the only QoL change i can think of is the gps that has been zoomed out a little, everything else has been bug fixes. now they are scaling support back? they can say whatever they want but to me it still feels like they will abandon the IP after the first expansion if it the next gen patch doesn't give the game a significant sales boost.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Sigh.... so the early adopters just bought the early access version and for the full finished product we will have to pay up.

All I can hope is that some of the improvements required for the exspantion to function are updated to the base game for free... but who am I kidding il just buy it so I don't feel like I wasted £50 on this junky software.

Early adopters need to get over last gen and look forward to current gen. It is what it is. Being eternally salty won't make the last gen version run any better.

iorek21

The expansions will probably improve the overall experience, but I just can’t ser this game being “saved” from public opinion.

The expansions will probably improve the overall experience, but I just can’t ser this game being “saved” from public opinion.

You mean a few gaf haters or the 0 bots from metacritic? Because most of the public think Cyberpunk 2077 is a great game. It has almost half a million mostly positive scores on steam and it keeps going up. With the final patches in 2022 It will go up to over 80% in no time.

ParaSeoul

Reminder this isn't even the same game they showed off in the early demos anymore,basically removed every interesting gameplay feature

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Fantastic news. One of my favorite RPG's. The world they have setup is fertile and they'd be stupid not to invest more into it. If we can get a persistent world (and not just a passive one) that would also I'm sure add a lot (still jarring to see cars disappear into nothing or just go ghost mode if you ride on top of them).

I've been struggling to not play on the second playthrough of the game I have going (Streetkid and Guns-Guns-Gun! instead of CyberMagic) in anticipation of more content (or a PS5/XSX update).

how the game is fantastic when the AI is trash? i dont think they even fix the policy AI yet, they just increase the spawn radius.

. . .1Q85 would still be a great novel even if the translation had wild errors sprinkled throughout.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
how the game is fantastic when the AI is trash? i dont think they even fix the policy AI yet, they just increase the spawn radius.
Because the ai isn’t as bad as you say. It’s about the same as any other FPS.

The hyperbole surrounding the game by people who haven’t played it or played for sec is the only thing that’s trash.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Scaling back support? What does the entail with Cyberpunk? Going door to door to people who bought the game and kicking them in the testicles with a steel toed boot?

Mahavastu

xJZlOVd.jpg

And if this really is their source, it seems like more work is still being done on the base game, although the article makes it seem like their focus has shifted onto the other content. Or maybe that's just how I understood it
Looks to me that the percentage for Cyberpunk + NextGen + Cyberpunk expansion stays pretty much the same all the time.
I guess the borders between Cyberpunk and the expansion are fluid, and lots of stuff from the expansion will also improve the base version.

Flabagast

Looks to me that the percentage for Cyberpunk + NextGen + Cyberpunk expansion stays pretty much the same all the time.
I guess the borders between Cyberpunk and the expansion are fluid, and lots of stuff from the expansion will also improve the base version.
Here is what the CEO said

With CP we’re currently at the testing stage – we have to be sure that what we’re releasing is in a very good shape. This requires substantial effort since the next-gen version includes graphical updates that exploit the potential of the new consoles, along with a set of system-level improvements – I’m talking about systems which are general; it's not a revolution, but still, they interact with other systems so we have to be sure there’s no regression whatsoever. This is mainly why we require some extra time for testing.

[...]

We won’t be releasing any updates before the next-gen edition in order to bundle all improvements in one big update, to support the impact of the next-gen edition

We’re testing the game, checking whether everything is fine; as I said, there are improvements and changes to general systems which interact with many other systems, so we have to thoroughly test the game to be sure – more than ever – that what we’re releasing is well polished.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Overall CP support (yellow + teal) goes down in each quarter here. All 3 of the other bars, each increase every quarter. It's not crazy significant, but while the expansion is growing in support the main game + patch is shrinking at a higher rate.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Overall CP support (yellow + teal) goes down in each quarter here. All 3 of the other bars, each increase every quarter. It's not crazy significant, but while the expansion is growing in support the main game + patch is shrinking at a higher rate.

Which is what you'd want to see.

. . .also, I don't see anything in this infographic that suggests that staffing is stagnant so any change could also be a result of an influx of staff to areas other than base CP77 support.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Which is what you'd want to see.

. . .also, I don't see anything in this infographic that suggests that staffing is stagnant so any change could also be a result of an influx of staff to areas other than base CP77 support.
While you do make a good point that you have to consider headcount, quick google suggests they decreased dev headcount by 10, in the first half of the year:

The company’s developers headcount fell by 10 in the first half of the year, shrinking a workforce that already trailed competitors including Ubisoft Entertainment SA and Rockstar Games Inc.

So that dip in overall Cyberpunk allocation happened when they lost headcount overall. They bought a dev in July, so to your point, hard to say what the headcount is now and how that effects the math, but ignoring the September allocation number, they shrank their Cyberpunk workforce for sure.

Their investors in general just aren't happy w/ the ongoing cost of Cyberpunk lol

Notabueno

Banned
So this game will remain the biggest missed opportunity of video game history then...

Maybe the sequel, if there's ever one, will be the great cyberpunk immersion we all are waiting for.

Top Bottom