• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CDPR: The next witcher game won't be "just a Witcher 3 in new clothing"

KVYNTm4UmStWMCPP9ryvg8-1200-80.jpg.webp

"Basically, I guess what I'm saying is you should not be expecting just a Witcher 3 in new clothing. I mean, of course we're building on the shoulders of what was done before and on the learnings of what was done before, but we will be adding new things, new elements, new gameplay elements, new mechanics that you have not seen in our previous games so far."

The next Witcher game is currently in its pre-production phase, but CD Projekt Red is planning to go into full production in the second half of 2024.

kikkis

I also think having new or major mechanics for sequel is kind of stupid. It's kind of like expecting for soccer to have new rules and stuff to keep people interested. In witchers case i kind of get it since gameplay wasnt that great but still.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Did cyberpunk have any major innovations?
Technically it sure did. It is still the PC game to beat in terms of graphics and the city / map was certainly more complex than anything I can recall. Gameplay wise, not having played the expansion or touched the game since early 2021, it felt like they were learning and experimenting. It is claimed that a lot of the rough edges were smoothed out and while that would not be blatantly innovative it certainly is creative problem solving.

Dazraell

Cyberpunk in Witcher clothing? Witcher in cyberpunk clothing?

As long as it's not first person only, I'm game.

Nah, what they probably meant is that they will shake some things up by introducing new protagonist who will have different skillsets that can potentially make gameplay loop feel a bit different. The change from Geralt to new character will probably allow them to introduce new combat styles that doesn't need to rely only on two-handed swords and some other stuff they couldn't do in the past as Geralt's skillset was pretty much defined in books. I think they may also introduce new signs that will influence gameplay in different ways. I think it will be third person, just different enough it won't feel like next-gen version of The Witcher 3 as the gameplay will be built around skillsets of the new protagonist

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
All three are different, so I believe it

What I don't believe? Releasing this game running well. Company has a history in this, and it's not only on Cyberpunk

Oh, and fix the walking

DaGwaphics

Their team is much better now. Witcher 3 team could not pull off Cyberpunk. I remember some industry veterans were hired to set it right.

I expect Witcher 4 to be a major leap, while keeping all things that they do well.

CP certainly is a looker, will be interesting to see how they can elevate the next one.

Im thinking it will be smaller. They want to put out a trilogy in 6 years after the first nu-witcher comes out. I would rather have 3 mid size games rolled out every 2 years than a baldurs gate 3 once in a gen type game.

Not gonna lie.... I wouldn't even be mad if it was. As long as it has consistently good writing like the first 3 Witcher games, I'll be a happy guy. Witcher 3 is in my top 3 favorite games of all time. The series is probably my favorite RPG series in general, each game has it's idiosyncrasies that I can find annoying playing them back to back, but they are consistently well written with great music and engaging stories and were great games for the times they were released.

I'm not extremely confident that they are gonna knock Witcher 4 out the park, they have a lot to prove after Cyberpunk's launch, but they definitely put the ship in the right direction after such a horrible debut with that franchise. I'm hopeful that they still have enough drive and talent to give us another great game in the series.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Stop trying to hype it up. Just make sure it fucking works day 1.

I’ve consistently encountered significant issues with their releases on PC, spanning all of the Witcher games through to CP2077. Each game were plagued by technical problems at launch. Specifically, The Witcher 2 was virtually unplayable for me until after several major updates, presenting nothing but a black screen post-menu. My experience with The Witcher 3 echoed this, albeit with different issues. And as for CP2077, the widespread launch problems have been well-documented.

What surprises me is the relative lack of sustained critique aimed at CDPR for these recurring launch issues, which predate the Cyberpunk shitshow. Reflecting on their track record, I even declared to a mate that Cyberpunk would be a huge clusterfuck at launch. CDPR’s launch struggles should be considered a recurring meme at this point.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll be surprised if it isn’t Witcher samurai game. A lot of their art and shirts on their store have had this premise for a long while.

StereoVsn

So game is going to be released for PC and PS6 around 2029-2030 (good luck to brave souls who would buy a PS5 copy 😉).

Amount of time games now days take to get produced is depressing. Oh, and allow another year of patching on top of release date.

So what’s coming first, next Elder Scrolls or Witcher 4?

Sentenza

Yup, with the exception of Bloodborne, Sekiro and Armored Core, anyone playing a Souls game has been playing Demon's Souls over and over and over and over and over and over again.
I'm glad someone else said it. I felt like................

zoolander-comedy.gif
I mean, aside for the fact that it's clearly an exaggeration, there's the not-irrelevant detail that From Software GOT IT RIGHT the first time.
Unlike CDPR, that when it comes to combat is at their third failed attempt so far (fourth, if we throw in Cyberpunk for good measure).
And I'm saying this as someone who always found the combat in The Witcher trilogy serviceable enough to not go around bitching about it... But let's get fucking real for a second.

SyberWolf

as long as it has the quest quality from the witcher 3, 3rd person and combat improvements and slight graphics improvements it will do fine i think.
maybe they can get Henry Cavill to do the mocap/voice acting (if it even has geralt).

Hugare

I mean, aside for the fact that it's clearly an exaggeration, there's the not-irrelevant detail that From Software GOT IT RIGHT the first time.
Unlike CDPR, that when it comes to combat is at their third failed attempt so far (fourth, if we throw in Cyberpunk for good measure).
And I'm saying this as someone who always found the combat in The Witcher trilogy serviceable enough to not go around bitching about it... But let's get fucking real for a second.
They got it right on their first time, sure

Not enough to make their next games identical (down to the interface, even), imo

"Change Estus Flasks for Flasks of Crimson Tears". BRILLIANT.

I like their games, but just as mentioned before, if not for Sekiro, Bloodborne and now Armored Core, they've been making the same game since 2009

You mix some screenshots from Elden Ring and Dark Souls III and you dont know which is which.

CDPR failed with Witcher 3 gameplay, but delivered something completely different with Cyberpunk. Different perspective and even genre. That's hard af to pull off from a studio that have never made a FPS game before.

And dont you fucking dare say something bad about Cyberpunk's gameplay, specially now after the expansion. It's sublime if you know what you are doing.

Last edited:

Sentenza

And dont you fucking dare say something bad about Cyberpunk's gameplay,
It's probably my least favorie game from CDPR in that sense.
Which is saying something, given that I wasn't exactly madly in love with the other, either.

Hugare

It's probably my least favorie game from CDPR in that sense.
Which is saying something, given that I wasn't exactly madly in love with the other, either.
Impossible to please everyone. But its factually not bad when compared to other FPS games.

It plays well and has way more variety than the majority of other shooters on the market.

kiphalfton

Combat improvements would be most welcome

If they screw up the combat in the Witcher Remake and this, they apparently didn't listen to people's feedback.

Haven't played any of the Witcher games, but that seems to be people's biggest complaint.

So game is going to be released for PC and PS6 around 2029-2030 (good luck to brave souls who would buy a PS5 copy 😉).

Amount of time games now days take to get produced is depressing. Oh, and allow another year of patching on top of release date.

So what’s coming first, next Elder Scrolls or Witcher 4?
I vividly remember that when they revealed Polaris, their goal is to release all the new trilogy in six years I was like how the hell could this be possible.

FePBvaLX0AENeeG

Geralt triology's pace is the best: Witcher(2007) - Witcher 2 (2011) - Witcher 3 (2015) but nowadays almost no studios can promise to have a major release every four years, that's sad.

StereoVsn

Not really. Main char could be less retarded to stop and start moving.
That’s just an improvement on top of the game. That’s what really what most folks want, Witcher 3 but improved in certain parameters that were somewhat deficient like itemization, interactivity, PC AI, combat.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
That’s just an improvement on top of the game. That’s what really what most folks want, Witcher 3 but improved in certain parameters that were somewhat deficient like itemization, interactivity, PC AI, combat.
Ah, true. Combat could be less brain dead without "auto lock" on targets.

Top Bottom