• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CES 2016 (Jan. 4 - 9) | What's in store for gaming

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
ces2016gamingcalli.png

bZH8O5h.png

The new year has barely started, but as soon as next week we'll enter the first phase of 2016 in gaming as CES will open. While the show is primarily focused on electronics, gadgets and TVs, gaming has gained more and more momentum in recent years. And the show has a relatively rich history of gaming as well, with Xbox for example debuting there in 2001, and Microsoft promoting DirectX in previous years (MS left the show in 2012). So I thought it could be good to take a look at what the show this year has in store for gaming, directly and indirectly.

ces2016pressconferenc64qzs.png

Three press conferences are of major interest. Listed in chronological order. Apart from the listed places to watch live, many of the press conferences will be available via YouTube, Ustream etc.

ces2016nvidialyai4.png

When: Monday, January 4 at 6:00 PM PST
Presenter: Jen-Hsun Huang
Where to watch: http://www.nvidia.com/object/ces2016.html

NVIDIA will unveil "what's next in autonomous driving", but is also bound to show new products for gaming, something about next-gen Tegra is likely.

Press release from Dec. 31, 2015:

SANTA CLARA, CA - NVIDIA (NASDAQ: NVDA) today announced that it will hold a press conference at the 2016 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) on Monday, Jan. 4, 2016, which will be webcast live. The invitation-only event begins at 6 p.m. Pacific time in Las Vegas. Interested parties can watch a live webcast, available on the NVIDIA blog. A replay will be available for seven days. At CES, NVIDIA will unveil new technology for self-driving cars. The company will have a presence at the Las Vegas Convention Center's North Hall, booth #2823. - See more at: http://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/n...ce-live-webcast-coverage#sthash.lAjch1XT.dpuf

ces2016sonyoxa46.png

When: Tuesday, January 5 at 5:00 PM PST
Presenter: Unconfirmed, likely Kaz Hirai
Where to watch: https://blog.sony.com/ces/

Expect new TVs and phones foremost, for that will likely be focused. However, news on PlayStation VR are likely too, it's featured in the background here after all: http://www.sony.com/electronics/sony-ces-announcements

ces2016intelavlw8.png

When: Tuesday, January 5 at 6:30 PM PST
Presenter: Brian Krzanich
Where to watch: http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-6976#videos

Technology is at the forefront of bringing transformation to almost every aspect of life. At CES 2016, Intel Corporation will show amazing experiences made possible by technology in a wide array of consumer passions – from sports and gaming to health and fitness, entertainment and more.
Apart from the press conferences above, there will be many conference tracks/sessions focused on gaming. These usually require actual presence at the show, most sessions are not live streamed. Sessions can be searched here: http://www.cesweb.org/Register-Plan/Full-Schedule/

There's of course the usual CES Unveiled also, which starts 4:00 PM PST on Monday, January 4: http://www.cesweb.org/Events-Programs/CES-Unveiled/CES-Unveiled-Las-Vegas.aspx

ces2016exhibitso0yot.png

An Exhibits Plus Pass - NonMember costs $300.

49 different exhibitors can currently be found under the Gaming & Virtual Reality category. Featured exhibitors are Fuel3D with its high-speed, high resolution, handheld 3D scanner Scanify, as well as Orbbec with its 3D camera computer Persee.

Amazon, AMD, ARM, Oculus VR, Samsung and YouTube are other companies that in one way or another are involved in gaming.

A list of exhibitors is available here: http://ces16.mapyourshow.com/

ces2016rumorsftari.png

You may have noticed a certain mockup (was just for fun, don't take it seriously) in the teaser image. That's of NX, which according to rumors from sources of ill repute (note, locked thread) is going to be shown to third party developers, behind locked doors at CES.

Many have called this rumor BS, and it may very well be so. But Nintendo isn't unknown for showing systems at CES in the past. They demoed the Wii U gamepad at CES 2012, though of course Wii U had already been shown at E3 2011, and NX hasn't been shown at all. Regardless, I decided to include this rumor due to the fact that Nintendo (of America) with almost guaranteed certainty will be represented at CES and so will many of the third party developers. NX will be discussed, but not necessarily demoed. Who knows what might be baking, someone perhaps can rob a leak or two.

If you have any rumors to share, let me know.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'll be there on business, but I'm absolutely going to steal an hour or two and check out the VR stuff first hand for the first time

reKon

Banned
It would be nice if Nvidia came out with their X1 tablet, or at least some information about it. Launching at 300 would be anice instant buy for me.

bluexy

Will Valve reveal their new VR breakthrough on CES? They delayed the HTC Vive for that reason.

This is what I'm excited about from the event. Pretty widely reported that they'll be demoing their "very big" tech breakthrough, whatever it may be. There's also the possibility that the price & release date of the Oculus Rift will be revealed, or even their plans for preorders.

I'm hoping for some NX rumblings. My heart always skips a beat when I click Gaming and see the big "RUMOR" with "NX" somewhere following it on the front page.

'rink' motion controller for Gear VR

C-Lab_rink1_Main.jpg

Samsung Electronics announced that it will be demonstrating three Creative Lab (C-Lab) projects for the first time, at CES 2016. C-Lab is one of Samsung’s innovation programs, which helps its employees to nurture their own creative business ideas. The three projects are WELT – a healthcare belt that helps people manage their waist size by measuring their daily habits and behaviors, rink – a hand-motion controller for mobile VR devices, and TipTalk – a remarkable new user experience (UX) that enables users to hear sounds, transmitted through their own body.

These C-Lab projects will be showcased at Eureka Park, the flagship destination for startups at CES, in Hall G, Level One of the Sands Expo, from January 6 to January 9, 2016. As the projects are still in the development process, they are being showcased to assess their market potential and to gather hands-on feedback from CES attendees, enabling further improvements to be made.
rink – Taking Mobile VR to the Next Level with Hand-Motion Control

rink is an advanced hand-motion controller for mobile VR devices which offers a more intuitive and nuanced way to interact with the virtual world. The ability to intuitively control the game or content just by using their hands provides consumers with a much deeper level of mobile VR immersion.
http://www.roadtovr.com/samsung-to-demo-gear-vr-motion-controller-at-ces-2016/?platform=hootsuite

RibMan

A release date and price for PSVR would be a good move. Unless of course the release date is far off and the price is unreasonable.

Fat4all

Banned
It seems like a good time for PSVR to get a price and date, but I dunno if they'd do it here.

I mean, it's releasing this year, so they need to get on it, but they might just save the announcement for it's own event thing.

amnesiac

If PSVR is indeed coming in the first half of 2016 like Sony's been saying, then I would assume they'd have to announce the price and date relatively soon. Either CES, GDC, or their own event. Latter two are probably more likely, though.

I still have my doubts; I think it will be released in the fall...

Arulan

Hopefully we'll hear about some upcoming DisplayPort 1.3 monitors, that is 4K 120hz+ or 1440p HDR displays. Equally important is news on Pascal. And of course, any news on the HTC Vive or Oculus Rift is more than welcome.

Tsosie

I have a feeling CES is where we learn more about the non-video game side of PSVR. There has not been a lot said about this side of the system yet. Netflix has had a presence at Sony conferences before to try and push 4k TVs. I could see the showing off a theatre Netflix experience here. CES may not be a big gaming convention, but I think Sony will try to position PSVR as a living room requorement. To do that they will need to show what it can do outside of gaming.

Alx

Not likely. It isn't a big gaming event. I would expect perhaps a demo and some new details, but nothing huge.

If they're still aiming for the first half of 2016, they'll need to anounce the price and release date ouside of a major gaming event anyway. Unless they try the "available today !" trick at E3.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The NVIDIA conference starts in 13 mins correct?
Correct according to the info provided. I just want more info on Pascal and solid release dates/price. But in reality expecting no valuable information.

Skux

Yes but do yourself a favor and avoid it. Catch a recap later tonight or tomorrow. Their CES conferences never really amount to anything interesting.

Well I'm not expecting much either, might as well just leave it on in the background.

Oh god it's Mr. Repetition!

Kaako

Felium Defensor
"Welcome, we're gonna talk about cars!"
Yup, sounds like an NVidia CES conference alright.

Will nvidia show the newest gpu? And I can't wait until Sony show their new 4k tv--I might be picking one up this year.

Edit: Also it makes sense for shareholders (I'm assuming nvidia is public) to talk about self-driving cars since people are looking for those type of investments to get into.

Top Bottom