• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: "The future is coming" at CES 2020

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is a dumb, overly long response to try contesting the facts of the matter. PS2 was weaker than GCN and Xbox, because Sony rushed it to market to beat the competition resulting in a weaker system with a cheap build. The strategy worked, don't have to create fanboy delusions two generations later to defend Sony's business decisions.
giphy.gif

nothing delusional about it.
The PS2 was hyped up to be this powerful console.
Don't why people are so surprised the two consoles was more powerful especially with graphical features that neither Dreamcast or PS2 could possibly have at the time of their conception.
Xbox and GCN was doing some next gen shit.
It was impressive the PS2 kept up.
And it was more impressive when the other two couldn't due to PS2's monstrous bandwidth.

Handel

giphy.gif

nothing delusional about it.
The PS2 was hyped up to be this powerful console.
Yes, it's called marketing. It's competition for power at the time were consoles that were respectively nearly one and a half years old(Dreamcast), and the 4-5 year old N64 and PS1. So congrats to it I guess?

Don't why people are so surprised the two consoles was more powerful especially with graphical features that neither Dreamcast or PS2 could possibly have at the time of their conception.
It's not about surprise, the argument was about whether or not power matters to winning a generation, which history has proved that it's not usually a major factor. The reality of power is even less of a factor than the perception of it by the general public.

Xbox and GCN was doing some next gen shit.
It was impressive the PS2 kept up.
And it was more impressive when the other two couldn't due to PS2's monstrous bandwidth.
This is where the delusion is at : thinking power relative to GCN/XBOX was a major factor in PS2's victory.

Last edited:

TGO

Yes, it's called marketing. It's competition for power at the time were consoles that were respectively nearly one and a half years old(Dreamcast), and the 4-5 year old N64 and PS1. So congrats to it I guess?

It's not about surprise, the argument was about whether or not power matters to winning a generation, which history has proved that it's not usually a major factor. The reality of power is even less of a factor than the perception of it by the general public.

This is where the delusion is at : thinking power relative to GCN/XBOX was a major factor in PS2's victory.
Well it was the games that won.
Always was, always will be.

Handel

Well it was the games that won.
Always was, always will be.
For sure, but especially back in the day getting those games was dependent on marketshare which had many factors involved. It's not like Sony's first party was tearing it up to make it sell, it was a combo of being first to market of the next gen consoles, being one of if not the cheapest DVD players on the market at the time, strong marketing campaign and being the successor to a very successful console in the PS1 that itself was in part due to Sony fostering good relations with third party developers, that led to it's early momentum. Microsoft being an American company has always has an inherently tougher time with relationships with Japanese devs.

Ease of Development
Strong marketing
Time of release
Marketshare/branding

All matter more than power in and of itself. Ease of development and marketing of the above can be/are positively affected by power or at least the perception of power, while best time of release can lead to lower power/quality of the console and too much power/hard to unlock power can negatively impact ease of development greatly(PS3 cell, Japanese companies struggling with HD development).

Geki-D

Banned
cdc.jpg

You ain't got clue what you're going on about.
The PS2 was the most powerful games console when it released
And it was marketed that way too
Nothing on the market could touch it's raw power
putting two consoles that released a year or two later and going look it's the weakest is dumb.
And it killed both those consoles and next gen consoles when came to bandwidth
And the machine was designed in 1998.
On top of that the PS2 had already dominated by time the GCN and Xbox arrived
So what you're saying is that first on the market is more important than power. Interesting. But hey I'm sure a more powerful system that comes out first will instantly beat a weaker one. ....Say, I notice you forgot to mention the Dreamcast? You know, the system that could do better visuals than the PS2 that came out a year before it? Odd that.

Really hope this isn't accurate, having just twice the power of the PS4 Pro really isn't going to cut it, especially considering most folks use the Pro at 1080p, and by the time next-gen rolls around more of us will be defaulting to 4k which I imagine games will be targetting.

Would 9TF leave enough in the bank for improved shaders and geometry at 4k, over current gen at 1080p?
9tf isn't twice the power, it's 2.73x the power. 9.2 RDNA Teraflops = 11.5 GCN Teraflops so it's nearly 3x the GPU, plus the additional bandwidth and a faster CPU. That's no slouch.

Psykodad

Banned
In house trailer with game play from nd, sp, sm or pd is my guess with the box and 'we'll tell you more at the Psm in feb' if there's anything mentioned at all.

Will be minimal info.
Imagine GG showing off Horizon Zero Dawn 2 for PS5 and that's the robots Cory Barlog was talking about.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This is the guy responsible for God of War, isn't it? Legend. What a game. I can't praise it enough!
He was the director for God of War 2 and the most recent God of War.
David Jaffe was responsible for the first God of War.
Stig Asmussen was responsible for God of War 3 and served as creative director for Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. There are quite a few similarities.

TGO

So what you're saying is that first on the market is more important than power. Interesting. But hey I'm sure a more powerful system that comes out first will instantly beat a weaker one. ....Say, I notice you forgot to mention the Dreamcast? You know, the system that could do better visuals than the PS2 that came out a year before it? Odd that.
No, I wasn't saying first to market wins, because PS2 wasn't first
And I didn't forget the Dreamcast, yes it could do things better, it had more Vram if I remember correctly.
So Textures looked way better,
But overall PS2 was more powerful.
It was like the PS2 could handle loads of particles effects compared to the other newer consoles, but overall it was weaker.

Fenris Wolf

So, Sony is about to reveal something new in CES 2020.
My bet is on new games and maybe some info on PS5's hardware. (similar to SeX Reveal)
It's almost time to see what new things guerrilla games has in store for us. with the power of Decima and PS5 sony might want to demonstrate how powerful their console truly is. So i guess we might see something from this team (New Killzone or Horizon 2 maybe?)
I doubt we see the console's form factor at all. the best place to do that would be ps meeting. Unless they want to skip it totally and with the current situation, It is not clear what sony might do in the next five minutes tbh.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No.

I, for one, refuse to be lectured at by some 16 year old brat because it's fashionable at the moment.

Then refuse to be lectured by her if you disagree with her because of what she says, i.e. evidence based difference of opinions.

If your way to disagree / refuse to be lectured by her is to call her a monster, you are not exactly “showing it to her”. This is what is uncalled for.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
No, I wasn't saying first to market wins, because PS2 wasn't first
And I didn't forget the Dreamcast, yes it could do things better, it had more Vram if I remember correctly.
So Textures looked way better,
But overall PS2 was more powerful.
It was like the PS2 could handle loads of particles effects compared to the other newer consoles, but overall it was weaker.

PS2 streamed (and uncompressed using the MPEG2 optimised IPU unit which could output up to 150 MPixel/s of texture data) textures from main RAM (which was much larger) into the GS’s local eDRAM through the GIF bus (64 bits @ 150 MH, 1.2 GB/s IIRC) many times a frame (several developers also used palettised textures to further increase VRAM local texture buffer and even implemented custom decompression schemes on the GS itself). DC has to use VRAM to store all the vertex data and display lists that needed to be rendered on screen (Hidden Surface Removal step requires the scene geometry to be transformed and ready) which means that the more geometry you would use the less VRAM you have available for textures.

Data could also be streamed into main RAM from the much larger DVD storage.

See this and other posts by Fafalada in this thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/6th-...og-vs-ps2-vs-dreamcast.1491157/post-254972803

Reactions: TGO

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
So, Sony is about to reveal something new in CES 2020.
My bet is on new games and maybe some info on PS5's hardware. (similar to SeX Reveal)
It's almost time to see what new things guerrilla games has in store for us. with the power of Decima and PS5 sony might want to demonstrate how powerful their console truly is. So i guess we might see something from this team (New Killzone or Horizon 2 maybe?)
I doubt we see the console's form factor at all. the best place to do that would be ps meeting. Unless they want to skip it totally and with the current situation, It is not clear what sony might do in the next five minutes tbh.

Highly doubtful they reveal games. They'll reveal the console if they're doing anything Playstation related. CES is more for the rest of their products, TVs, cameras, etc. since the windows to show that stuff off are limited.

Thats a VERY big IF my friend. Otherwise,going to be a long gen of XSX winning every DF head to head. Brings back the Xbox 360 feels. Except now, Xbox has significantly better 1st party and the cheaper Lockhart sku. Interesting times indeed.
Significantly better 1st party? How do you know? Time will be the judge on that.

Shin

Banned
This is the guy responsible for God of War, isn't it? Legend. What a game. I can't praise it enough!
Interesting, kinda adds up with the future is coming theme and PlayStation's cryptic Tweet from Death Stranding.
CES is a consumer show, so I don't see any reason why they can't unveil the box there to keep talks going/word spreading.
The blow out will be at E3 or some private show though, where we get the nitty gritty stuff and the after show interviews that follows.

thelastword

Banned
I don't think Sony will show anything PS5 at CES, that's too soon.....They will show lots of TV;s and cameras though....

Fenris Wolf

Highly doubtful they reveal games. They'll reveal the console if they're doing anything Playstation related. CES is more for the rest of their products, TVs, cameras, etc. since the windows to show that stuff off are limited.
You're right, I confused CES with GDC lmao.
Then i hope they reveal PS5 sooner. My Thirst for next gen PS is real

Maybe a sneak peek like Xbox did at VGA's, but a full reveal I doubt. I would look to February or March for a full reveal, but they definitely are not waiting until E3. They'll focus on the games then of course.

Top Bottom