• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CGW = teh weaksauce (Far Cry review)

So CGW, in one of their recent issues that I was reading while on the can, gave Far Cry a 3/5 because it was too hard. Now, I've played rather a lot of Far Cry (a damn sight more than these reviewers, based on their text), and it's seriously not that hard. On Normal mode, sure there were some tough bits, but by no means was it ridiculously difficult for anyone with any sort of FPS proficiency. And they spent a good 2/3 of their review text bitching about the difficulty! Irresponsible. Plus they gave BF Vietnam a higher score despite its glaring flaws. Gah. Respect -100.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I think more not so great gamers should review games. After all, plenty of not so great gamers play games, they'd benefit from the opinion of someone like them rather than some gaming god.

But they are correct to a certain extent. Some of the checkpoints they have in Far Cry make no sense at all. They're either right next to one another or located clear across the other side of the level, 40 minutes away. Plus that volcano level at the end.....Jesus Christ. I got so frustrated that I wanted to put my foot through my stinkin' monitor.

ge-man

Mama Smurf--I think that only works with games clearly marketed for all different gamers. You'll run into trouble when you have those particular reviewers rate games that were never intended for them.

I think it should have been a 4/5 (with clarifications). That said, they specifically showed a picture of the lava mountain when they started talking about assine difficulty. And once *SPOILER ALERT* you detinate the bomb, the game should have ended. Not only is the story ass afterwards, but those final 3 levels are shit when it comes to game design. While that type of difficulty might have been a personal challenge in my younger days, today I look at it and say there are better things to do than that. I browsed the web and found the devmode cheats and loaded them (And not ashamed. I honestly don't think I've ever used a cheat code in my life, but this was the only way I was gonna see the end. Because I sure as hell wasn't playing it.) And this was on Normal.

EekTheKat

As a shooter, you do get your money's worth of eyecandy and levels in Far Cry.

Maybe I'm suffering from over FPS saturation but, the gameplay felt......average. Nothing really innovative or new per say.

Far Cry was far more interesting when we tried it with a coop mod.

Granted the full campaign coop (alpha) mod crashed everytime someone died, it was still a lot more amusing than the single player mode.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
ge-man said:
Mama Smurf--I think that only works with games clearly marketed for all different gamers. You'll run into trouble when you have those particular reviewers rate games that were never intended for them.

I can see what you're saying, but there aren't that many games that are specifically for gaming retards/gods anymore. You have the likes Ikaruga and Ninja Gaiden which you just shouldn't go anywhere near if you're not that good at games, then you have those Piglet and Mary-Kate and Ashley gamers which would drive most of us insane with their simplicity (I have to admit, I've played neither of those games so I'm jumping to conclusions, but surely you couldn't make a piglet game tough). The vast majority of games are aimed at everyone.

The ideal thing would be to have 2 reviews for each game, each with different skill levels. Though you'd probably have to replace the bad gamer every so often, playing that many games would raise your skills no matter how lame you are.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Far Cry is one of the most uneven FPS games I've EVER played...

About 1/3 of the missions are really fun...but the remaining 2/3 just isn't very good at all. It's an average game at best that people seem to enjoy as a result of the atmosphere brought in by the graphics. It DOES feel cool to be out in those massive locations...and I think that can make the game seem better than it actually is.

From a distance, FC is a good game. When you start getting up close with anything, the combat just falls apart.

The two best missions in the game, IMO, were Boat and River (or whatever that was). Conquering each island in Boat was fantastic in the fact that you could tackle each island in a number of different ways and most of the combat was from a distance. River was quite different but felt as if it was well designed and fun to play through.

FC is really one of the most overrated games I've seen in recent times.

Hmm. I didn't have that problem, I guess. What made Far Cry great for me was that it allowed me to play it the way I felt like, through either stealth or firepower. Seemed to work pretty well for me.

Chopin Trusty Balls

First casualty in the war on idioticy.
dark10x said:
Far Cry is one of the most uneven FPS games I've EVER played...

About 1/3 of the missions are really fun...but the remaining 2/3 just isn't very good at all. It's an average game at best that people seem to enjoy as a result of the atmosphere brought in by the graphics. It DOES feel cool to be out in those massive locations...and I think that can make the game seem better than it actually is.

From a distance, FC is a good game. When you start getting up close with anything, the combat just falls apart.

The two best missions in the game, IMO, were Boat and River (or whatever that was). Conquering each island in Boat was fantastic in the fact that you could tackle each island in a number of different ways and most of the combat was from a distance. River was quite different but felt as if it was well designed and fun to play through.

FC is really one of the most overrated games I've seen in recent times.

Since i enjoyed over 90% of the levels,i disagree with you.

Halos Singleplayer wasnt as great as that of Far Cry,but multiplayer is much better.

Pimpbaa

I must have played through Far Cry at least 5 times so far. I haven't done that since Halo. Great game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm with dark10x. Loved the first half or so, but I had to really motivate myself to plug through the many of the later acts. I still have a savegame in the volcano area...I just stopped caring enough to actually polish it off.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm with dark10x on this also. I enjoyed the game for a bit, but soon it became more of a chore to play then fun. I think a 3/5 is pretty fair and at least 1 of those 3 points should be entirely for graphics. It's a mediocre game with great graphics and IMHO it has nothing on Halo, Call of Duty, Riddick (just listing the only recent FPS I've played besides Far Cry).

Halo = Best FPS since Half-life
Riddick = Best FPS since Halo

IMHO

Top Bottom