• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Changes possible for The Last of Us Season 2?

GMCamaro

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/the-last-of-us-season-2-joel-fate-pedro-pascal/

So the show runner and Druckman don’t feel that the show should necessarily be constrained by the source material? Do you think they’ll change Joel’s fate in the second season?

I’m guessing they’ll probably pad it out for another full season before they tee off. Pedro is pretty popular; my opinion is they keep him for as long as possible and then end the series shortly after.

3liteDragon

Maybe the way it's executed changes, but he's dying for sure. There's just no way they do a 180 on that, I don't see it happening.

bitbydeath

Joel was popular and the lead too, I think it started to shift when Evan left or was amongst the reasons as to why he left.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It will be a massive cop-out if they change the most pivotal plot point of the game. They'll probably drag it along and try to fake out the viewers by making them think they'll change it ala Glenn in Walking Dead.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

i hope they stick close to the game, that's part of what made season 1 so good.

Golf Swinging GIF

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Pedro Pascals death in GoT made my wife tap out from the show because it was so brutal. Would be hilarious if he did it again on a different HBO show.

Gobjuduck

Banned
Stretch out Joel’s screen time as much as possible. Also make the action not suck like in S1.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I doubt they'd change his outcome as better as it would make it for me, but if they can rearrange it entirely to happen way later and executed better then I'll take it, I can just drop it there.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Stretch out Joel’s screen time as much as possible. Also make the action no suck.

I think what they'll do is show Abby's story in real time instead of most of it being flash backs like in the game. Joel gets more screen time and people have a longer time to get used to Abby and her side of the story instead of the jarring way the game does it.

Indyblue

Pedro Pascals death in GoT made my wife tap out from the show because it was so brutal. Would be hilarious if he did it again on a different HBO show.
Same! It kinda traumatized me cause I loved that character.

I think season 2 is going to be stuff that happens between the two games. Season 3 will be the beginning of the second game with Joel dying at the end.

They are going to sttttrrrreeeettttccchhh this shit out big time.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Dont care if they kill him or not.

If they do: Great now I get to watch a brand new show without knowing whats going to happen

If they dont: Great I get to see it play out in a different medium with different actors

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
His death is what made the story great and it's very important that he dies, so no, they're not going to change his fate.

Some fans might leave, but they'll have to make it clear to the audience that he will still appear on the show moving forward.

It killed the momentum of the game, and so if they keep things the same then exactly the same thing will happen to the show.

Bella Ramsey is great, but she is not fit to carry an entire show on her back.

Gojiira

I’ll be happy if they keep it like the game tbh, if they’re ever going to change it or retcon it, damn well better be done in The Last of Us Part 2 Directors Cut for PS5….But I do really hope season 2 actually has clickers and brutes, they’re almost a non-entity in season 1 despite being in some of the best scenes.
Yeah more infected, more horror, more gore too.

Gojiira

The question should be: is the accretes that plays Ellie good enough to carry the show (or at least half of it) on her shoulders? I doubt it.
I think she did a pretty good job by the end of season 1 but I really cant see Belma Ramsey throwing down with Abby without it being wildly ridiculous.
They defo need to change some aspects.

Pelta88

Gamers will be expecting the second season to stick as close to the source material. But the TV audience is a different beast. I expect season 2 to be ND source material that didn't make it into the game. Pedro losing his skull opening episode of season 2 won't make financial sense to HBO.

Robb

Gold Member
I doubt it but who knows. Not sure if I care though, didn’t really like S1 so I doubt I’ll watch it anyway.

Gamers will be expecting the second season to stick as close to the source material. But the TV audience is a different beast. I expect season 2 to be ND source material that didn't make it into the game. Pedro losing his skull opening episode of season 2 won't make financial sense to HBO.
It'll either be after the halfway point in the season or last episode. Maybe even the opening of S3.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
My guess is they'll probably have Pedro stick around for season 2 (maybe throw in the museum/spaceship flashback and the confrontation between Ellie and Joel at the hotel) and then kill him off at the beginning of S3

Wont make a difference to me as I think the show is utter shit and stopped watching after the second episode :messenger_beaming:

Just_one

Hope they stick with the game as much as possible and yes that means killing joel at the beginning.

he can show up in the flashbacks but for ellie and abby arcs to have any meaning he HAS to die in the beginning, there is no other way around it im sorry

Last edited:

Raven117

Hope they stick with the game as much as possible and yes that means killing joel at the beginning.

he can show up in the flashbacks but for ellie and abby arcs to have any meaning he HAS to die in the beginning, there is no other way around it im sorry
Of course there is. Whether they do it. I don't know.

Muffdraul

I was about to say "They'd better not, that would be such a chickenshit move!" But then I remembered... I really don't care about the TV show. I watch it, I enjoy it... but the games literally come first. Druckmann can make all of the compromises he wants on the show, but I'm into him being the auteur of the games and being in total 100% control of that story and taking it exactly where he thinks it needs to go. Season 2 can be all about Joel taking up a new life in Jackson as a rodeo clown for all I care.

Puscifer

Killing Joel was stupid. The Last of us is Joel & Ellie's relationship if they kill Joel they'll kill the show.
Killing Joel was badly done, that should've been done later and to not have him go out like a bitch.

I replayed PT 1 on PC and it finally clicked with me about his personality that Joel was a mans-man and that drove every decision he made, so to see him be trusting of people when we even saw a glimpse of that person in the beginning explaining it to Tommy.

We don't really have a lot of those Clint Eastwood types in films anymore let alone games and we were one for 15 hours and then we were for an hour who didn't get the respectful death he deserved.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

Maybe one reason why Pedro Pascal agreed to do the show was because he doesn't have to appear much after season 1? I'm sure they told him early on what happens.

Last edited:

aclar00

The seasons dont need to follow the games. Season 2 would be better off following Joel and Ellie during their exploits in Jackson leading up to 2. Shit, they can even make the stories cannon.

Top Bottom