• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CHAPPELLE! new deal with comedy central for 26 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Banned
*slowly pulls gun away from roommate's head*

Well! Now that's a relief, for my roommate as much as me and all other fans of Dave's show!

Damn he's getting a shitload of money. Hurray for Chappelle's Show. I hope the show doesn't go high-budget though. The hilariously horrible blood effects are awesome.

Ugh, two best-of episodes in a 13 show season? That's bullshit; best-of shows suck complete ass. I'm not digging that musical performance dedicated show either.

Meier

Yeah that sucks that theyre going to include the best-of eps and the music guest ep in the 13 total instead of there being 13 + those :( But happy to have him back for 2 more seasons, w00t.

Joe

50 million??? plus a "hefty chunk" of dvd sales???? that is absolutely beyond insane.

im extremely happy for him im just wondering how the hell he pulled that off.

firex

I think season 1 was funnier than season 2 just because it took more risks, but season 2 was definitely smarter comedy. I don't doubt the next few seasons will be great.

SKluck

Banned
"10 original episodes, plus two "best-of" episodes and another devoted to music performances."

Fuckers! 2 best of episodes PER SEASON? What a fucking waste.

kevm3

50 million? Holy shit! If I was making that much money, i'd be looking like this too:
chappelle_dave80x100.jpg

Part of me wants to show the die so I don't have to put up with people repeating quotes from the show for the next ten years...

border

2 "Best Of" episodes PER SEASON?

Man, that Dave Chappelle is one LAZY................................................................................................................................guy.

Bacon said:
Part of me wants to show the die so I don't have to put up with people repeating quotes from the show for the next ten years...

I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!
I'm Rick James Bitch!

... seriously though, I agree :D

andthebeatgoeson

Chappelle, who is vacationing in Paris, was not available for comment.

"Chappelle's" has become an important series for Comedy, scoring a trio of Emmy nominations last month and ranking as the highest-rated cable program for the network's demographic sweet spot, men 18-34, who comprised much of the 3.1 million total viewers the series averaged in its second season.

The ratings for "Chappelle's" not only held up well in reruns, but boosted other longtime Comedy staples including "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" and "South Park" -- not to mention the network's strong primetime performance in the first and second quarter of the year.

"Life without 'Chappelle's Show' would not have been very bright as far as getting or exceeding those numbers again," said Lauren Corrao, senior vp original programming and head of development. "It means a great deal to growing our schedule. We're thrilled to have him back."

More important, "Chappelle's" has become a juggernaut on DVD, selling 1.7 million units to date of a collection of first-season episodes -- the most successful television-related DVD of the year despite minimal marketing.

Chappelle has already turned down an offer to host the upcoming sister network MTV's Video Music Awards but is said to be considering a second installment of the stand-up special he filmed for another Viacom property, Showtime, that debuts next month.

Nice to see him giving a boost to all the shows around him. Chappelle is their ace. And I'll have to make sure I catch that new standup next month. I so slept on Killing Em Softly.

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

OmniGamer

Damn, $50M for 2 seasons...that puts him in the Friends cast category at their peak(less per-episode take, but since he isn't just an actor, and all of the other pies he has his hand in, it comes to about the same thing). "I"m rich biatch!" indeed.

Belfast

For that much money, the new episodes better be pretty funny. I like Chappelle's Show and I think the guy is funny, but I'm tired of Comedy Central shoving the reruns down my throat. I swear its on more than MAD TV. :p

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
honestly..... this man really made Comedy Central his Bit*h , I can see all other actors/comedians green with envy...

That two "best of" episodes per season thing is horseshit. I'm glad he's coming back though. Here's hoping that the new material isn't just a product of him "going through the motions" either.

I'm also glad to see he turned down the MTV Video Music awards. Fuck you, MTV.

SFA_AOK

2 best ofs AND one musical best of? That's only 10 shows a season!

As for season 1 vs 2 - I think season 1 was more consistent but the funniest shows are from season 2.

lexy

This is great for Chappelle. He deserves it.

The deal also has implications beyond Comedy for Chappelle within the network's parent company, Viacom, sources said. Another component sets up Chappelle with a multimillion-dollar pay-or-play deal at Paramount Pictures to star in an adaptation of the autobiography of Rick James, the chart-topping singer who Chappelle has lampooned on "Chappelle's" (HR 6/10). He may also be tapped for a different film project.

I'm laughing just thinking of what a movie about Rick James strarring Chappelle would be like.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
SKluck said:
Reno 911 and Chappelle are the best thing to happen to CC since South Park.
Was Strangers With Candy before or after South Park? If it was before, than IAWTP.

Anyway, good news for Chappelle's Show and for those of us who like it. But for God's sake, it really should be a law that you're only allowed to repeat something said on the show one time. After that, you're taken out of society for ten years.

evil ways

Heh, I watched Reno 911 last night for the first time, and it was pretty funny, especially the beginning of the episode at that lady's apartment.

"Bullshit, where's the stuff?"

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
You go Dave! Woo hoo!!! Now get that season 2 DVD out biatch! and do another comedy concert!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It should be noted that the deal could be worth $50 million. From what I can gather that's a prediction/estimation based on the up-front fee he's getting for the two seasons plus an estimated amount of royalties (retroactively to boot!) from the DVD sales that he's now entitled to. Also included in this was a multimillion pay-or-play film deal at Paramount and a development deal for his production company. The article also says that the deal may include a take in future syndication rights.

So he might be getting close to $50 million in total from this deal eventually, but it's not just due to Chappelle's Show, at least from what I can gather. There are a lot of components going into that total sum.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Raoul Duke said:
*slowly pulls gun away from roommate's head*

Well! Now that's a relief, for my roommate as much as me and all other fans of Dave's show!

wasn't there another issue that had your roommate's life on the line?

And about the two best of... it'd be better if they (hopefully) do it where one is a best of and the other is an unaired skits compilation.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
ConfusingJazz said:
C'mon, that was funny as hell at how bad that was. And it was worth it just to see the gay lawn service. Those trainwrecks had me on my ass laughing so hard.

I didn't say I didn't like it

andthebeatgoeson

I was reading USA Today (thanks Wario, this is one of the best free 'mag' subscriptions ever) from Tues, 8/3. A quote from Dave:
The deal made it very hard to say no. I'm not sure,but I believe there is a clause to gives me reparations for slavery.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom