• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ChatGPT Integration into Unity Could Change Game Development Forever

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Unity developer Keijiro Takahashi, shared the video via Twitter. In the video, Keijiro is using a ChatGPT plugin for Unity Editor to type natural language prompts directly into the engine’s editor to generate objects, move them, and duplicate them. This introduction of official ChatGPT integration into Unity has the potential to change the entire landscape of video game development.

The AICommand project is available to find on GitHub. Those who wish to use it should have Unity 2022.2 or later and generate a special API key. While it is easy to be blown away by the power of this tool, it should be noted that for right now, this plugin is only intended as a proof-of-concept. Takahashi himself has spoken about the several times that he entered a command that the plugin failed to implement correctly.

With that being said though, like all AI software, ChatGPT is capable of growing in complexity along with the passage of time, as it learns from other data being uploaded to the internet on a regular basis. Combine that with the fact that the developers of the GPT-3.5 architecture are already working on GPT-4, and suddenly the idea of developing a fully-fledged video game with no knowledge of programming becomes a possibility.

Hoppa

I have no clue what any of this means or what the video is trying to convey but just going off context clues, this seems like a pretty major breakthrough for game development ??

MrRibeye

Takahashi himself has spoken about the several times that he entered a command that the plugin failed to implement correctly.

Remember the Netflix anime that was created with the help of AI, but every single image that the AI generated had to be re-touched and edited by a human artist anyway? Meaning that someone without artistic skill wouldn't have been able to use AI to produce a good looking film.

Same with this. Someone with no knowledge of programming will very quickly hit a brick wall when using AI to program their game.

Remember the Netflix anime that was created with the help of AI, but every single image that the AI generated had to be re-touched and edited by a human artist anyway? Meaning that someone without artistic skill wouldn't have been able to use AI to produce a good looking film.

Same with this. Someone with no knowledge of programming will very quickly hit a brick wall when using AI to program their game.
I've seen people who know how to code use chat gpt and still fail. It's quite depressing.

• LOL
Reactions: Gp1

Alx

I guess it can still have a major impact on the industry, if the AI does the heavy lifting and a couple of artists/programmers can fix and polish it, instead of a whole team. It can also change the required skills, with people needing to be good at prompting instead of coding.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I actually used ChatGPT for the first time to write a script in 3DS Max..............It didnt work.
But with alittle tweaking it worked.
From needing to be a programmer to do the script, I just needed to be able to critique the script.
After which I asked ChatGPT to add comments to the code.....it did that perfectly.

Def a game changer for coding/scripting.

P.S dont tell my boss.....imma be gaming for the next million years.

Last edited:

ThisIsMyDog

Yes, because we know that technology is not going to advance with time. In less than two years, people will be able to create anime of the same quality as big anime studios today in their basements. Mark my words. And it will happen to many more industries.

Last edited:

X-Wing

It can’t solve complex problems so I wouldn’t be too excited. Chatbots are a solution looking for a problem.

Interfectum

Wow, so games written in Unity are about to get a whole lot worse? Wonderful.
Eh, they can't get much worse. You realize what most shitty indie devs are doing right now are buying pre-built games on the Unity store and mashing them together with random Unity scripts also bought on the store. Then buying some shitty artwork to replace existing art.

If anything the AI might force them to be more creative and original.

mdkirby

This has been the case with every instance of ai ive used in my own and colleagues workflows. It's an amazingly powerful tool to augment our work, but it needs a level of understanding of the field it's being used for. Even when we're just asking it for an equivalent of stock images, you would be stunned by how terrible many peoples 'eye' for a good looking image is. You could have an artist ask for an image in midjourney, and keep asking until they have a selection of very good images to pick from. OR you could have a non artist who has no 'eye', they would ask midjourney for something and just pick something they like, or the first result and be 'that'll do', when in fact its just a bit crap. Same with writing, same with my wife using it to speed up excel formula writing (where you need to understand the output to be able to trust its done what you asked/wanted).

We shouldn't fear such tools, but be using them to empower ourselves to achieve results that were either beyond our own skill, or were beyond the time investment that would otherwise be warranted, or to simply be far more productive.

Mephisto40

I asked it to write a song about Monkeys and Computers :-

(Verse 1) There was a time not long ago When monkeys swung from tree to tree But now they're sitting at a desk With keyboards under hand, you see
(Chorus) Monkeys and computers, what a sight to see Fingers clicking on the keys, as fast as they can be They're typing out a message, sending it through the wires Monkeys and computers, what a strange desire
(Verse 2) They've learned to navigate the web And find bananas for their lunch They've even started coding apps To help them climb trees in a crunch
(Chorus) Monkeys and computers, what a sight to see Fingers clicking on the keys, as fast as they can be They're typing out a message, sending it through the wires Monkeys and computers, what a strange desire
(Bridge) Who would have thought, just a decade ago That monkeys and computers, could become such a show But here we are, in the digital age Where monkeys and computers, are turning a new page
(Outro) So let's embrace this new frontier Where monkeys and computers, coexist without fear For who knows what they'll create next When these two worlds intersect.

StueyDuck

Finally we might get some indie games that aren't about mental anxiety and why communism is so cool and "money bad"

Do you think we'll get varied characters now as well or indie games with ambiguous race female with pink/light-blue/neon-green hair.

Last edited:
People act like they want the AI to do it all - it still should be directed by humans with talent - it’s just making things more accessible/faster. What’s to dislike about that. If it just requires a talented person to oversee it that’s still a complete game changer

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If you are on the art team and need tech art to do something, ask ChatGPT then pass the code forward......if you have even anecdotal programming experience you can critique that code and not even bother them.

I want check if ChatGPT can write shaders, imma figure out what to ask it to return a shader I can plug in.

Fredrik

People act like they want the AI to do it all - it still should be directed by humans with talent - it’s just making things more accessible/faster. What’s to dislike about that. If it just requires a talented person to oversee it that’s still a complete game changer
If you want to take it one step further then AI will make humanity dumb. All that is needed is a select group of talented people writing the code for the AI, the rest don’t have to learn shit and can just ask the AI to write the code for them.

But as someone who only see programming as a neccessary evil and have made badly coded hobby games since the 80s I think AI in Unity is a good thing. I have no ambitions to become a programmer, I’m more of a game designer and artist than programmer. And the C# script coding is currently slowing me down a ton in my current game project, everything I try to do that is outside of the norms takes ages, there are guides but not guides made general enough to copy paste into my messy project.

Top Bottom