• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheating in online games. Is there any hope?

Mirk

Is there ever going to day that I can play an online game.
And not see some doche flying in the air or jumping through
walls? It really takes the fun out playing. Its funny what devs
try to do, to stoping the hacking of their games. Seeing as in a week
what they have come up with is cracked!. errr Anyone else out there
hate these damn cheaters?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Culex said:
Not even Live is immune.

you don't see people flying through the air and shit like that.

99.9% of the time it's just exploiting a flaw in the game like an accidently misplacement of a boundary or something.

I'd say it's pretty rock solid.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It will never go away. Develop and play with a group of familiar peeps is the only cure (even they cheat sometimes XP)

rastex

Banned
I think this is really one area that Live really hasn't been properly recognized for. Other than people exploiting cheap tricks and that type of thing, there's never been rampant cheating in a game. That's huge. I mean, a lot of the people are dicks, but it's not like you have a totally unfair disadvantage.

shpankey

not an idiot
Xbox Live is pretty much cheat free... other than a rare occasional exploit that is usually something minor anyways.

hobbitx

autobot said:
Is there ever going to day that I can play an online game.
And not see some doche flying in the air or jumping through
walls? It really takes the fun out playing. Its funny what devs
try to do, to stoping the hacking of their games. Seeing as in a week
what they have come up with is cracked!. errr Anyone else out there
hate these damn cheaters?

What games are you talking about? I've seen some crazy laming before, but never dudes flying, what games do you see all that in?

Brannon

Admitting that a Microsoft product does better than most of the competition would bring about the Apocalypse.

I've always wanted to see a rain of fire....

Mirk

hobbitx said:
What games are you talking about? I've seen some crazy laming before, but never dudes flying, what games do you see all that in?

War games. Ones that use PunkBuster Anti-Cheat mostly.

I like what valve is doing, releasing new security modules without telling anyone + perma banning id's. The only probablem is they can just make a new one

thorns

Banned
There is NO cheating on xbox live. Some games can have some glitches, but they're most of the time fixed.

A glitch is the same thing a a cheat. Although I never played Unreal Championship (because I hate Unreal and XBox shooters suck compared to PCs when it comes to network performance), but the original MotoGP was filled with glitches. If a player can complete a lap in 1/2 the time as a non-glictcher, that's cheating. It's not cheating by loading EXEs or Gameshark, but it's cheating because you don't accidently "glitch". You have to ride off the road and meet a ton of different criteria. And it destroys the game. Even though everyone knew who was glitching and looked down on them as the skill-less dicks they were. Here these poor kiddies thought they were being looked at as Gods for their killer times, and people shunned them in reality.

As for cheat-free gaming, I'm convinced the only way you can guarantee an online session is gonna be 100 enjoyable is by playing with people who are friends in real life.

Fahdis

I was playing Battlefield 1 yesterday and was getting 1 Shot by the same dude from across the map on PC that just showed their out of map outline once you died. Quit the game 5 minutes later. Thanks Dice and EA. Fix your shit, you fucks!

Also... yes 20+ years later, there's still cheating OP!

anthony2690

Banned
I couldn't imagine being this salty over a cheater that I would find and necro bump a twenty year old thread.

Then again, I can not even think off the last time I've come across a cheater on Xbox live.

Wouldn't reporting the offending player, sort the issue?

Jaybe

Edit: Jesus, didn’t realize this thread was so old it could vote. That’s one hell of a necrobump Fahdis Fahdis and yet still relevant.

Xbox Live is pretty much cheat free... other than a rare occasional exploit that is usually something minor anyways.
Agree. And for this reason I really hate forced cross play with PC.

From Halo Infinite forums:

Either disable cross play, or give the option to disable it. It is impossible to play with PC players. There are a lot of cheaters. They see through the wall, they shoot without missing. Why are you forcing Xbox players to play with them? For what? The PC platform itself is dishonest. PC users hack games, use macros, scripts, cheats. They have mice with default macros. I don’t want to play with them. If I see a player with 20 kills and 1 death, it’s a PC player. It is impossible to shoot him even together. Developers, you’ve made it so difficult to send complaints that it’s probably easier to process the paperwork for buying a house. You need to record a video / photo, then go to your site, then find the section you need, but it is not clear where. Then fill out the form, attach a video / photo and send. I see 4-5 people like that in 3 hours of play. If I write a complaint about each one, then when should I play? Cheaters go without punishment, because it takes so long to write complaints that no one wants to do it. If you give the opportunity to turn off my cross, none of the Xbox players will play from the PC. And let them play with each other with cheats, look through the walls and so on. Let them even jump on their heads. Don’t make us play with them !!! cross play is bad! It’s horrible!! No killcam why? I can’t see what the player saw when he killed me.

Last edited:

radewagon

Necrobumping a thread is necrophilia
2004?
Clapping Applause GIF

Spyxos

Gold Member
2004 uff. It has never been so easy to get cheats. Now people pay monthly fees to get cheats that are hard to detect. There's a whole new industry.

At least on the PC. I used to like to play Gta online from time to time but when I noticed that in one lobby at least 5+ players had godmode on I stopped playing.

Patrick S.

Banned
With Russian IPs blocked from several online gaming platforms, I guess the number of cheaters probably already went down considerably, because Russians are cheating fucks :)

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Respecting multiplayer rules is part of the game cheating is designed by joker minds and people hungry to ruin games.

Droxcy

counter strike

and the Greateast Hit they Call SOCOM.

Socom 2 we had cheats and glitches that phased you out of the map or on roofs and no damage etc but it was less prevalent because you can kick people and people just made their own lobbies to do stuff like that there was more respect and mature people back then haha.

But AI/Machine learning anti-cheat tools are being developed and should help the eco system in the next few years as people create better tools to detect these kinds of things. Games will start requring more backend of your PC/Identification to punish the cheaters which will face backlash like valorant had.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I'm sorry, but people who sees cheaters everywhere just sucks at playing games and blame other people at being cheaters while they are just better.

I've got several hundreds of hours in cs go, cod etc and haven't seen a cheater in ages.

I have been called a cheater though so there's that 🤷‍♂️

Sentenza

SPECTACULAR necro-digging aside, I expect AI to play a bigger and bigger role in anti-cheat prevention over the next few years.

I'm impressed. This thread is old enough to be legal.
So are we going to fuck it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom