• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chevy throws down the gauntlet $27,495 for Spark EV (Less than $20K after tax-credit)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
By the way, the Spark with a gasoline engine looks almost identical. It's not a bespoke design like the Leaf. In other words, it ain't ugly because it's electric.

Liberty4all

Banned
Really? Maybe it's because you guys are American but I think that car looks like half the cars I see on the street in European countries. Standard-looking.

As a Canadian I share the same sentiment. Looks like an average subcompact. When I travel to the US though it's very noticeable how much they love their big cars.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And that's why all of their efforts are laughable. They are trying to make electric cars out of that low price point instead of a good product. The regular Spark sucks too.

Man, if Chevy can do the Stingray Corvette, they can design a kickass electric car.

I blame the Prius. The Prius was always a little weird looking, but they sold well because people wanted others to know they had a hybrid on sight.

xptoxyz

This is the former "Matiz" isn't it? Looks like the same form factor of those chars, people attributing that to this version being electric is absolutely silly, Chevy has always had plenty of "ugly" traditional fuel city cars.

Kind of OT but how would EVs handle high heat climates like the southwest? I can't imagine those batteries do well at 115-125F....

xptoxyz

Kind of OT but how would EVs handle high heat climates like the southwest? I can't imagine those batteries do well at 115-125F....

Low temperatures affect the range, but I don't think I've ever seen them tested as high as you're stating I think.

Polari

lol @ all the car snobs in this thread. This isn't for you. It looks like a nice option for a second family car though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How much does electricity fuel cost per month?

The average cost of electricity is about 11 cents per kWh. The Spark EV has 21kWh batteries so a full charge would cost around $2.30. The monthly cost would depend on how often you had to charge it. Let's say you drive 500 miles a month. Rounding down the Spark EV's range to 50 miles (it's expected to get 82) you'd need 10 full charges, so it'd cost about $23.

Compare that to a car that gets 40mpg and let's assume a super cheap $3 per gallon. 500 miles would require roughly 12.5 gallons at a cost of about $36. Even being generous with mpg and the price of gas it's still cheaper to keep the Spark EV charged.

Not everyone looks at a car as a fashion statement. As a means of reliable, energy efficient, and low cost transportation, this is a big win in my book. The more electric cars the better. The styling can (will) come later.

EDIT:
epacert.jpg

Am I reading this incorrectly, or does it really say a full overnight charge only takes you 82 miles?

pigeon

Banned
Am I reading this incorrectly, or does it really say a full overnight charge only takes you 82 miles?

That's actually pretty good for an electric car, which is the primary problem with electric cars today. But for their specific use case (commuting and city use) they're pretty effective.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Per charge. But yea not until oil companies lose some power.

We're over half way there already. A 400 mile range EV will probably be affordable in 10 years. That said, you don't need a 400 mile range EV unless you're driving close to that distance everyday since you're going to plug it in every night at home.

I bought a 2013 Mazda 3 Grand Touring Hatchback this month and have been getting roughly 34 mpg between everything.

Fucking love it.

Yeah, Mazda has really dropped the ball on EVs. Too bad they're going to be left behind when all of the other car makers have a decent EV offering in a few years. This is coming from a fellow 3 owner.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
And they are going to sell all ten of them. Woop de do.

Now that's much better. Hopefully, this is like most modern Caddy's and be a good car. The Volt wasn't good, again not because it's an electric but (fumbling PR problems aside), it just wasn't a good car.

Uhhhh why exactly was it not a good car? This should be good.

I know you've said this before as well without any explanation, so I'd like to hear it.

Ty4on

There are plenty of hatchbacks out there that don't look like convoluted messes. Saying "but it's a small car!" doesn't excuse its poor styling.

Those aren't superminis... The Golf and Astra are much bigger than the Spark which is one of the cheapest cars out there.

Vyroxis

Banned
20,000? So only about 20 times what I pay for gas every year for my truck!

Let me know when I can get one for a few grand, and can actually repair them in my garage with my own tools.

Korey

The average cost of electricity is about 11 cents per kWh. The Spark EV has 21kWh batteries so a full charge would cost around $2.30. The monthly cost would depend on how often you had to charge it. Let's say you drive 500 miles a month. Rounding down the Spark EV's range to 50 miles (it's expected to get 82) you'd need 10 full charges, so it'd cost about $23.

Compare that to a car that gets 40mpg and let's assume a super cheap $3 per gallon. 500 miles would require roughly 12.5 gallons at a cost of about $36. Even being generous with mpg and the price of gas it's still cheaper to keep the Spark EV charged.

Cool.

How long does it take to do a full charge?

Are there electric stations like gas stations? How long does it take to charge there?

pigeon

Banned
Yup. I did.

Do you think just maybe it might be worth accounting for that expenditure when you consider what's more economical?

Obviously if we just assume that everybody always already has a gasoline car that's in good condition and doesn't need to be replaced then electric cars will never be successful. But in the real world people need to buy new cars all the time.

Seanspeed

Banned

lol

But hey, people bought tons of Prius', which aren't exactly lookers, either.

This definitely makes it a pretty viable choice for somebody looking for a green car. I hope it sells well and manufacturers feel more comfortable in creating more(and better looking) electric cars as a result. If this fails, its going to make all the car makers very cautious.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
This may be the silliest comparison I've ever seen. Presumably somebody paid for that truck at some point.

And EVs have far less parts that can break, so fixing one would be quite simple compared to an ICE car.

Cool.

How long does it take to do a full charge?

Are there electric stations like gas stations? How long does it take to charge there?

Depends on the EV and the plug. EV owners plug their cars in at night when they get home and the car is ready to go with a full battery in the morning.

The number of charging stations is increasing steadily each month across the US. As far as charging time it can take as long as you would take charging at home or as little as 30 minutes with a fast charger. People seem to think EV charging stations will have to be as ubiquitous as gas stations are for ICE cars for EVs to be usable. This isn't true because your house acts as the main charging station for your EV and in effect is like a gas station that is always there and never closes.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
lol

But hey, people bought tons of Prius', which aren't exactly lookers, either.

This definitely makes it a pretty viable choice for somebody looking for a green car. I hope it sells well and manufacturers feel more comfortable in creating more(and better looking) electric cars as a result. If this fails, its going to make all the car makers very cautious.

I don't think it looks thaaaat bad, or not any worse than your typical compact atleast.

I hope this car does well too, it's an aggressively priced entry level electric car, a direct response to the people who complained about the price of electric cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom