• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The $5/gallon gas race for a real electric car, a survey of upcoming electric cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
cynlix said:
But anyways, back on topic. My co-worker test drove a zap xebra a few weeks ago. He hated it because of the range and size, so he bought a motorcycle instead.
Yeah, I can't get excited at all about those Zap Xebras. Terrible specs, slow, look ridiculous, etc. I guess they are cheap though.

xebra-sedan-blue_0.jpg

The EV thread returns from hiatus!! OP updated . . . more work on it to come.

My EV bug came out again in several other threads, so I'm bringing back the dedicated thread on EVs.

From the new OP intro:
Well, after super-cheap oil caused by world-wide economic collapse, oil just now cleared $71/barrel. Gas is over $3/gallon where I live. Time for this thread to come back . . . though I'm still editing the OP. The EV industry has really struggled over the past year due to the cheap oil and lack of funding (causing some EV biz bankruptcies) but the stronger companies have continued to push through the dark period.

And now, EVs may have a new lease on life. There is now a $7500 tax credit for highway-speed 4 wheel EVs (10% tax credit up to $2500 for 3-wheelers & NEVs). And a cash-for-clunkers program is in the pipeline that can give people up to $4500 if they turn in an old car and buy a new highly fuel efficient car. Combine the two and you may be eligible for a massive $12,000.00 in subsidies if you turn in a clunker and buy an EV.

One big problem . . . there are effectively no 4-wheel highway speed EVs on the market to buy! AAAAaaargh! But the race is on.

High oil price come back and new government incentives mean that shit got real again.

Zyzyxxz

nice thread.

The right now my money is on the Aptera and my wild card pick is BYD.

I've been buying their stock for the long run because they are a both a battery/electronics and a car manufacturer.

Their competing model for the Volt is due to come out in China this year and if it can pass US safety standards it may even be sold here in 2010.

Aptera though offers a truly affordable solution as of now though. Hopefully they start rolling cars out this year.

OP updated. Despite a brutal year of low gas prices that hurt EV development . . . well, what a difference a year makes. There are several solid vehicles announced & on the way: GM Chevy Volt, Nissan Leaf, Fisker Karma, Tesla Roadster, Ford Panel Van, Chrysler Dodge Circuit EV, Th!nk City, Mitsubishi iMiev, etc.

Toyota has the plug-in Prius on the way. Honda, a long-time fuel cell hold out, finally said they've got a EV on the way in 2015.

belvedere

Junior Butler
So after checking out the current Tesla thread, I decided to look up a similar EV gaf thread. This is the best I could find (thanks speculawyer) lol. So until something more appropriate comes along, I guess this works just fine.

Anyway, I'm a Leaf owner in the St. Louis area and wanted to see if there were other EV owners here outside of the few individuals who posted in the Tesla thread. Obviously a lot has changed in the EV world since this thread was created.

The Leaf
jeJvXfkab2e4A.JPG

I seriously got about half the way through the OP before realizing this thread is 6 years old.

I was like "Wait, isn't the Chevy Volt out? Am I having a stroke?"

belvedere: I'm (basically) from the STL area too! How do you find life with an electric car there? Do you have a decent charging infrastructure or do you just not drive beyond your home-range that often?

belvedere

Junior Butler
I thought about making a new thread but wasn't sure if there were enough EV owners here to justify it.

And man how the times have changed. It seems like this thread could be 25 years old lol.
belvedere: I'm (basically) from the STL area too! How do you find life with an electric car there? Do you have a decent charging infrastructure or do you just not drive beyond your home-range that often?

Well I must admit our scenario is more suitable than most since my wife and I can charge at work for free on a level two. That being said, we rarely need to use public charging stations, but when we did, we never had trouble finding one. For a commuter and weekend errand car the Leaf has been perfect. We use our other car a lot less but it's still around for long trips if we need it.

And the gas savings. Yessir.

andthebeatgoeson

My wife just leased a leaf. I like the idea and how the next 10 years holds more improvements. I would love a Tesla. I could get 2-3 days heavy days on the battery and must months get a week on a range of 300 miles. But the leaf make you worried a bad day with unexpected issues will you leave you stranded. We enjoy the car but I'm not a Fam of the constant monitoring or the trickle charger.

My hopes for the next decade: less expensive installation of level 2 (or more) chargers, better battery tech.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
I seriously got about half the way through the OP before realizing this thread is 6 years old.

I figured it out when the OP mentioned that gas was JUST getting over $3/gal. Shit hasn't been that cheap in, well, 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom