• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiaki Morosawa, co-creator of Gundam SEED, has passed away

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Voice actor Junichi Kanemaru confirmed on Twitter that Chiaki Morosawa has passed away. She was the co-creator and main writer of the Gundam SEED series, which was directed by her husband Mitsuo Fukuda. They also worked on Gear Fighter Dendoh together.

Really sad news. After the conclusion of Gundam SEED Destiny, she has struggled with her health for many years. When there wasn't much news for a while, I thought she might have gotten better and was just recovering away from the industry. I guess not. :(

Not sure exactly what she was sick with, but I heard it might be some form of cancer. This is a really shitty year for deaths so far. >_<

yami4ct

I was really saddened to hear this.

Say what you will about Gundam SEED, but it left a mark on the Gundam franchise. Those characters and suits still pull massive numbers in fan polls. She's made a stamp on the franchise that will likely last for the rest of its lifetime.

vareon

Destiny was a trainwreck, but SEED play a great role in my silly high school life and I consider it to be one of my gateways to Anime (and fansub). May she rest in peace and thank you for all the works.

Giolon

Bummer. I think I recall reading that a follow up movie to Destiny was put on hold due to her health at one point.

SEED is still one of my favorite Gundam series.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I disliked Destiny but I'm actually rather fond of original SEED. Regardless, still sad to hear about this.

She also made it her sworn mission to put out a movie too.

Kalentan

I liked Destiny, while also understanding it wasn't as good (though I would say it did get a bit better in the second half when Kira basically became the main character again. I always love in stories where the main character takes a back seat only to make a triumphant return.)

But yeah, SEED was awesome. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but didn't she want to make a third series or movie? :(

Damn this sucks. :(

I... I think I might begin rewatching SEED tomorrow.

Paltheos

This feels bizarre to me. I always thought she must have been pretty young and I wasn't exactly right, but she was still only 56 this year.

Bombless

I was afraid of this after the long time with no news :(

RIP.

I was hoping the Cosmic Era would be continued eventually, I guess that's the end of that :(

RIP.

Though she wasn't credited until the OVAs, she apparently consulted on Cyber Formula since the inception of the franchise.

Cyber Formula, GEAR Fighter Dendoh & Gundam SEED.

Those 3 overall series has been part of my teenage years growing up and were really enjoyable series that I cherish preciously. Even SEED Destiny, which was not without major flaws, was entertaining and connected me with many friends as we laughed and languished over the ups and downs of that sequel.

Thank you for everything.

Blader

That's sad, I remember stories of her struggle with cancer coming out almost a decade ago. That's a hell of a long fight. R.I.P.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom