• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout - Series Reviews

Tommi84

Could someone explain to me
how Moldaver is still alive after 200 post-nuke? I get how the ghoul or vault overseers are alive but where has she been?

Fallout Wiki doesn't provide this information so... who knows. The show didn't have any info as well

engstra

Fallout Wiki doesn't provide this information so... who knows. The show didn't have any info as well
pretty major plothole!

Hardensoul

Finished watching the series couple nights ago. 7/10 really enjoyed it. I played Fallout 3 to death as a kid and I think the show catches the vibe really well. It's campy fun.

Highlights were definitely the vaults and their backstory. I would love to see that explored more. The athmosphere and so many nods to the games in everything they do/show is great. Even as a fan of the franchise I would've not been able to tell you what the BoS is or Vault-Tec's backstory so I think the show establishes that quite well (no idea about Enclave though).

As people have already mentioned there are some uneven performances in there. Biggest issue for me is how contrived the storyline is, how the characters keep crossing paths in a vast wasteland.

Could someone explain to me
how Moldaver is still alive after 200 post-nuke? I get how the ghoul or vault overseers are alive but where has she been?
If it was explained, I missed it. I’m wondering that too! She wasn’t a fan of Vault Tec in the flashbacks!

Good or bad reviews if it interests me I’ll get it and make that judgement myself . Or if it’s really bad I look it up on YouTube if it’s a game.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
would normally agree but this one is particular is a pretty detail to gloss over, seeing as she seems to have been around for a long time creating a cult following
And in flashbacks they may explain it in Season 2.

Being left wondering about something is classic TV biz stuff, especially with what amounts to sci-fi.

She invented cold fusion so who knows what else she invented. Or maybe vault-tech weren’t the only ones using cryogenics.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

no, the joke is literally that she fucks her cousin... that is the joke.

that's why they pause the moment, zoom in and make a silly for the audience to laugh.

as someone who is not a teenager anymore i didn't really think it was all that funny.
But she doesn’t fuck her cousin….

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Are you her cousin?

Ice Cube Yes GIF

jason10mm

Gold Member
Probably patching quality. I swear it has some crisp shots and then some somewhat artifacty shots in eps 1 through 5, but nothing jarring...but ep 6 to 8 the PQ drops A LOT with lots of low quality compression artifacts and pixelating.
Damn, I thought it was just me. Everyone else getting what is almost a 1080p (at best) image from this that dissolves into total shit at times (vault girl getting lowered into the water for example, total compression mess!). Thought maybe my internet is slow or perhaps amazon is throttling this specific show.

IntentionalPun

She definitely did for a long time haha
Eh not sure that’s really implied?

Either way this is a hundred people or so trapped in a small vault, I’d be fucking my cousins too.

It’s not so much a “joke” to me as it is showing the social experiment aspect of these vaults and how that works out. A society trapped for 200 years in what amounts to a small confined office building with no windows and the wild ways that changes people.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
pretty much every reviewer and fan of the show disagrees. He is 100% the best part. Reminds me a ton of Ed Harris in Westworld S1. Both shows created by Jonathan Nolan too. Perfectly cast roles.

And I don't think even think Walton Goggins is some A+ actor, but he is a very solid character actor, and this role is what he will be best known for
Holy crap, did I slip into some sort of alternate dimension where Goggins wasn't in The Shield or Justified? (just to mention a few) He is ABSOLUTELY an A+ actor by any metric.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Holy crap, did I slip into some sort of alternate dimension where Goggins wasn't in The Shield or Justified? (just to mention a few) He is ABSOLUTELY an A+ actor by any metric.

He may very well be, but he clearly didn't show that talent here. Though the issue isn't entirely on him. Even the greatest actors can't make a shit script into gold.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I hope all the work going into depicting the BoS power armor (and the actor inside, basically just ripping off Iron Man) is gonna help Cavills Warhammer show do Space Marines right. The BoS armor CGI is pretty dodgy at times, but they look to have a practical suit on set and it looks pretty good.

Eh not sure that’s really implied?

Either way this is a hundred people or so trapped in a small vault, I’d be fucking my cousins too.

It’s not so much a “joke” to me as it is showing the social experiment aspect of these vaults and how that works out. A society trapped for 200 years in what amounts to a small confined office building with no windows and the wild ways that changes people.

She basically says that she's been fucking her cousin since forever. But now she can't fool around with him because she's getting married, which broke his heart because he's in love with her. The writers made him (the cousin) a sniveling weak ass, and her brother looks like a rat lol.

Eh, it's what the writers think would happen.. I mean, here's how i'd personally first start thinking about how that (how being trapped for 200 years would change people) would play out - I would look at civilizations stranded far apart from each other, with no means of communication - for thousands of years - and find the commonalities between them. Patterns.

This youtuber literally has an older video where he stated verbatim that he stopped doing videos recommending cool modern unknown AA and indie games, because those didn't get as many views as him hating and complaining about things.

Based on his viewer numbers since then, he has tapped into a well so vast that he won't be thirsty for long, long time. I stopped caring to watch though because I noticed the bad arguments, wrong facts, and general grift. If you don't believe me, watch his videos for either Tears of the Kingdom, Armored Core, BG3, or Elden Ring. He makes valid criticisms for all but unfortunately mixes them in with unrelated political points, bad arguments, and incorrect facts about them.

If anyone really cares about unbiased, non-political critiques regarding video game related media, I'd recommend someone like CohhCarnage.

Gambit2483

I'm guessing

She stole or acquired Vault Tech cryo technology, possibly with Cooper's help, to survive beyond the bomb drops once she knew they were going to be deliberately dropped.

but she died in the finale no? would be odd to focus on her and her backstory in that case
good point. maybe they actually will just let it slide:

I mean, even if she had the cryo tech, how'd she decide when to wake up? or someone else woke her up? more you think about it, the more inexplicable it gets...

As a side note, I know a Bioshock movie is being made. But if they get around to adapting Infinite...Ella Purnell would be the PERFECT Elizabeth with her built in disney eyes.

9639f6ad2d3ace15985f45c97573f96c.gif

That Bioshock movie is as real as MGS movie that had full backing of Kojima, Isaac was supposed to be snake, the King Kong direcotr already had a script and ...... one big nothing burger. Bioshock they said it wouldnt even come before 2027 if then lol.

RagnarokIV

Damn, I thought it was just me. Everyone else getting what is almost a 1080p (at best) image from this that dissolves into total shit at times (vault girl getting lowered into the water for example, total compression mess!). Thought maybe my internet is slow or perhaps amazon is throttling this specific show.
I was losing my mind when it kept dropping quality.
Now I see everyone had the issues!
What the heck Amazon.

This video is the youtube equivalent of an overflowing outhouse.
"Walton Goggins has a black wife who divorced him, and this show is promoting race-mixing"

"normies" Christ, what an idiot. Fuck you for wasting my time clicking on this single-digit IQ dickhead.

"Can you even refute a single point in the video or will you continue to cry about my political beliefs?" The dude lives on rage bait clicks or idiots.

Jesus fucking Christ, why are people sharing this degenerate moron? Are you for real?

Angry Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Get back into the Goggins War 2.0, which is where the real value is at.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

This video is the youtube equivalent of an overflowing outhouse.
"Walton Goggins has a black wife who divorced him, and this show is promoting race-mixing"

"normies" Christ, what an idiot. Fuck you for wasting my time clicking on this single-digit IQ dickhead.

"Can you even refute a single point in the video or will you continue to cry about my political beliefs?" The dude lives on rage bait clicks or idiots.

Jesus fucking Christ, why are people sharing this degenerate moron? Are you for real?

Angry Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Get back into the Goggins War 2.0, which is where the real value is at.
yeah this video was extremely over the top, i imagine it's just a grifter like a matt walsh type of guy. when his first point was that a man had a black wife (and then threw up some weird inter racial divorce stats) I think you know what you are getting into.

i mean there really is some hot takes in that video that are just dumb. I almost feel like he's a plant so everyone can point at this and say "see, this is why cis caucasion man bad"

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I was losing my mind when it kept dropping quality.
Now I see everyone had the issues!
What the heck Amazon.

What i noticed - and this really annoyed me - is that MANY scenes looked not...focused properly, meaning, there'd be lots of blurry spots/unfocused spots in the scenes and i'm not talking about some bokeh/DOF effect, it LITERALLY looked unfocused and it was amazingly weird...
I don't think that it was done on purpose either, this is either something that escaped them during post-processing or...fuck, i don't know.

Anyone else noticed that ?

engstra

This show has really put me in the mood to play some Fallout. Really wish they would make 3 and NV playable on modern consoles. Was checking PS store and NV cannot be purchased online. I think it's streamable on PS+ Premium but that feels less than optimal.

Maybe will give 4 a second chance with the next-gen patch. Didn't really gel with it first time around due to the focus on base-building and worse dialogue system

This show has really put me in the mood to play some Fallout. Really wish they would make 3 and NV playable on modern consoles. Was checking PS store and NV cannot be purchased online. I think it's streamable on PS+ Premium but that feels less than optimal.

Maybe will give 4 a second chance with the next-gen patch. Didn't really gel with it first time around due to the focus on base-building and worse dialogue system
I'm 20 hours into a Fallout 2 run atm. Never finished it back in the day. Took me a bit to get adjusted again to the archaic qualities, the painful opening, and playing the Steam Deck, but it's been fantastic. Loving it atm. If you've never played the originals and have a calculator-level PC somewhere, give Fallout 1 a go.

GvbXLLH.gif

Last edited:

engstra

I'm 20 hours into a Fallout 2 run atm. Never finished it back in the day. Took me a bit to get adjusted again to the archaic qualities, the painful opening, and playing the Steam Deck, but it's been fantastic. Loving it atm. If you've never played the originals and have a calculator-level PC somewhere, give Fallout 1 a go.

GvbXLLH.gif
I did by the old games on Steam a long time ago.... maybe I can install on my work laptop haha

Top Bottom