• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China suspends Tencent from updating existing apps or launching new apps: report

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

China has suspended Tencent Holdings from updating its existing apps or launching any new apps as part of a “temporary administrative guidance” against the tech giant, Chinese media outlets including Shanghai-based Chinastarmarket.cn, reported.

According to the report, China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology has told app stores and platforms to implement the order against Tencent apps from Wednesday in a harsh administrative punishment against the tech giant, which runs dozens of apps including the super app WeChat that has 1.2 billion users.

Tencent said in a statement that it is cooperating with the authorities on inspecting its apps, indirectly confirming the report.

jigglet

Banned
jack-nicholson-jack.gif

nush

China has suspended Tencent Holdings from updating its existing apps or launching any new apps as part of a “temporary administrative guidance” against the tech giant, Chinese media outlets including Shanghai-based Chinastarmarket.cn, reported.

CCP "Wait? you guys can change the content of apps after we have made you censor them without us knowing?"

Holammer

Sony would probably buy Tencents shares (given the opportunity) since they are looking to expand into the PC market.
In such a scenario, it's more likely Microsoft or Amazon would buy the shares. Sony does not have the capacity to spend 10-12 Billion smackeronies like that.

bitbydeath

In such a scenario, it's more likely Microsoft or Amazon would buy the shares. Sony does not have the capacity to spend 10-12 Billion smackeronies like that.
That’s not true.
They still have 14 billion already set aside for spending and could easily add to it if they wish.

FStubbs

Eh, didn't China lock up Jack Ma and Gong Li for 6 months? They do this from time to time whenever any entity they control thinks it has any say. Any dictatorship has to pummel people from time to time to continually show who's boss.

Didn't Tencent and Alibaba just get fined by the Chinese Government because of antitrust behaviours? I'm pretty sure this is related to that. China is going around investigating monopolies on their own country.

This doesn't come out of thin air because China bad.

EDIT: YUP, they did

Last edited:

brian0057

Banned
Why would he care he owns epic no?
Tencent owns 40% of Epic (for now).
And Tim is just a guy with piece of paper that says he owns the company.
So I'll put my metaphorical money on the multibillion dollar Chinese conglomerate that's swallowing western companies left and right as having a considerable effect on "Sweeny's company".

MonarchJT

Banned
That’s not true.
They still have 14 billion already set aside for spending and could easily add to it if they wish.

Sony bigger of all the time m&a as been 3.7b

SIE (Playstation) biggest of all time was just 219m to buy Insomniac

everytime i read that Sony is going to spend something like 3 or 4b on an acquisition for the PlayStation division it makes me think that people have no idea how Sony is used to functioning. Guys it will never happen.

Last edited:
Tencent owns 40% of Epic (for now).
And Tim is just a guy with piece of paper that says he owns the company.
So I'll put my metaphorical money on the multibillion dollar Chinese conglomerate that's swallowing western companies left and right as having a considerable effect on "Sweeny's company".
51% of a company’s shares isn’t just a piece of paper that says he owns it. That being said, even as the majority shareholder, he’s still probably sweating at the thought of tencent being shut down.

Top Bottom