• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chinese man caught with 500 imprisoned cats destined for restaurants

But the Yulin Dog Meat festival seems to refute that as it's big enough.

Yulin wont serve dog meat (officially) this year at the festival. And even then Yulin has around 6 million people living there. Lets say 1/10th attend that festival so around 600k. Thats nothing compared to 1,3 billion.
Its like saying that some cities in Shanxi eat cicadas and proclaim "The Chinese" love eating bugs.
Or Muslims in Germany all love kosher butchering.

Lol, what exactly is racist and xenophobic about saying would rather eat vegetables and noodles in China?

Maybe the reason why? Because of this story where ONE guy stole cats and dogs, he will be wary of eating anything meat related in China.

I can post some stories about conditions on German farms. Or some guy who stole and butchered privately owned horses near my area a few years ago and sold the horse meat.

Or maybe because they've been our companions for hundreds of years and depend on us?

My grandmother doesn't eat cow for the same reason. But you don't see her judging people eating burgers.

What animal it is makes no difference, unless it's an endangered species. It's stealing pets that's the crime

Yulin wont serve dog meat (officially) this year at the festival. And even then Yulin has around 6 million people living there. Lets say 1/10th attend that festival so around 600k. Thats nothing compared to 1,3 billion.

Its like saying that some cities in Shanxi eat cicadas and proclaim "The Chinese" love eating bugs.

Or Muslims in Germany all love kosher butchering.

Then I stand corrected. Thought the festival was much larger but has been shrinking due to International and generational pressure.

Kinokou

I wish there was more social acceptance to eating cats and dogs, then there could be more humane ways to obtain the meat instead of this animal abuse that seems to be involved in the industry now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's a stereotype so yes it is racist. All stereotypes have an origin. A small percentage of Chinese people eat cats and dogs. Some also eat lots of bugs. But its the minority.

"China" is a pretty big country, you know. One guy in one province in one city caught doing this doesn't mean you can't eat meat in "China" anymore, Jesus Christ.

It is indeed a small percentage, because of how big the actual population of China is. It is highly unlikely as a westerner that you will eat at a restaurant serving cat meat. As a westerner you'd need to go to the outskirts of a city or outside of a city completely to encounter it. In the south east provinces of Guangdong and Guangxi old people consider cat flesh a good warming food during winter months. In northern China eating cat is considered unacceptable. It is estimated that around 4 million cats are eaten in China each year, and that the number is rising.

Erheller

Your happy eating animals kept in those sort of conditions?

Most animals slaughtered for food in the US live in just as bad, if worse, conditions.

Lol, what exactly is racist and xenophobic about saying would rather eat vegetables and noodles in China?

The poster's implying that those damn dirty Chinese are going to slip Fido or Garfield in their food because, um, I dunno, they're dirty and they're Chinese.

As a matter fact I have two Chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of my residence at either end, 3 if I expand it to 8 blocks. And yes I eat beef and pork, but here where I'm from 🇺🇸, dogs are a man's best friend. We don't eat dogs or cats or hamsters. And yea I should be wary of the Chinese dude maybe. Apple sticks are good tho.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
vPIwi9q.jpg

But the Yulin Dog Meat festival seems to refute that as it's big enough. Granted there has been more and more of a backlash so there seems to be some crackdown. Also, I think the Op had something in there about a French grocery store still selling dog meat 5 years after saying they would stop so business is good enough that they are willing to take the PR hit.

Bro the Yulin Dog Meat Festival is one event in one county in all of China. You think with 1.4 billion people, China is going to have diverse cultures in different parts of the country with different culinary habits? Why do all Chinese people have to be labeled with the stereotype, especially with how charged and distasteful it is in the West?

Africa, with only 1.2 billion people, has a huge range of different cuisines, which include eating bats, monkeys and insects. You gonna label all African people "monkey eaters" and joke about avoiding the meat when visiting Africa?

Edit: Instead of focusing on a random Chinese dude doing bad things, maybe Americans should start talking about the terrible and inhumane factory farms that supply meat to your dinner table every day?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
About dog meat:

Over 100,000 tons of dog meat, or 2.5 million dogs, are consumed annually in South Korea. Although a fair number of South Koreans (approximately 42% to 60%) have eaten dog meat at least once in their lifetime, only a small percentage of the population is believed to eat it on a regular basis.

In China, dog meat consumption is lowering. In 2014, dog meat sales decreased by a third compared to 2013. It was reported that in 2015, one of the most popular restaurants in Guangzhou serving dog meat was closed after the local government tightened regulations; the restaurant had served dog meat dishes since 1963. Other restaurants that served dog and cat meat dishes in the Yuancun and Panyu districts also stopped serving these in 2015.

He stole the pets.
This was a problem when I lived in Vietnam as well. Pieces of human shit would steal peoples cats and dogs, sometimes snatch them right off the street when being walked. They ride by on motorbikes, and drag the owner until they let go, or hit the dog with a stub gun and ride off with it. Then they'd sell them to places that would torture them before they died because they believed fear made the meat tender. The criminals who do this are sub human fuckstains.
This just ruined my day.

Erheller

ITT: casual racism against Chinese people.

Did you know that there are villages in Switzerland where people eat dog too? Or that there are dog eating cultures all throughout Africa, Asia and South America? And that maybe, with a population of 1.4 billion people (more than all of Europe and North America combined), you might have different regions with different culinary practices, and you shouldn't label all Chinese people "dog and cat eaters"?

GTFO with that "only eating vegetables and noodles in China" xenophobic bullshit.

Every gaf thread about Chinese people turns into one of these.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite. Theres some real cruelty going on over there. Especially when it comes to bears. They have to get some PSAs going to change the collective mindset of people.

T.O.P

Banned
He stole the pets.
This was a problem when I lived in Vietnam as well. Pieces of human shit would steal peoples cats and dogs, sometimes snatch them right off the street when being walked. They ride by on motorbikes, and drag the owner until they let go, or hit the dog with a stub gun and ride off with it. Then they'd sell them to places that would torture them before they died because they believed fear made the meat tender. The criminals who do this are sub human fuckstains.

FUCK

Most animals slaughtered for food in the US live in just as bad, if worse, conditions.

The poster's implying that those damn dirty Chinese are going to slip Fido or Garfield in their food because, um, I dunno, they're dirty and they're Chinese.

I honestly don't even know where to start with this.

I dont read that at all from OP's post, i guess different interpretations will arise.

Unfortunately it does happen elsewhere, good to see Chinese authorities clamping down on it, good to see this story in the news, cant remember another where Chinese law is helping animal rights, still a long way to go there though.

I am vegetarian due to how animals are treated in the meat industry

Lubricus

My thought was that I will not be able to read a menu so I would avoid ordering meat. Honestly, "Damn, dirty Chinese" never entered my mind.
Now that I know cat and dog meat is mainly confined to rural China and southern China, I may order meat in northern China.

I've not yet read a description of eating dog meat that makes me want to try it, but since cat meat is ostensibly used as a substitute for chicken, I assume I wouldn't dislike it.

Kinokou

Don't google gutter oil
cause you ate human poop too

Did you know that there are villages in Switzerland where people eat dog too? Or that there are dog eating cultures all throughout Africa, Asia and South America? And that maybe, with a population of 1.4 billion people (more than all of Europe and North America combined), you might have different regions with different culinary practices, and you shouldn't label all Chinese people "dog and cat eaters"?

GTFO with that "only eating vegetables and noodles in China" xenophobic bullshit.

At the risk of being another one of xenophobic posters, I'd totally be down to eat dog in Switzerland as opposed to doing it in Asia. The above mentioned gutter oil factors into this.

MegaMelon

Maybe the reason why? Because of this story where ONE guy stole cats and dogs, he will be wary of eating anything meat related in China.

I can post some stories about conditions on German farms. Or some guy who stole and butchered privately owned horses near my area a few years ago and sold the horse meat.

I agree, people seem to have no problem making borderline racist or insensitive comments when this topic comes up. I remember not too long ago Tesco here in the UK got in big trouble for (unknowingly I think?) selling horse meat instead of pig/cows/whatever so I'd wager many countries aren't as squeaky clean as people make them out to be.

EDIT: Here's an article if anyone's curious.

The Tesco burgers and those at Burger King, Co-op and Aldi that also tested positive for horse DNA
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...scandal-guardian-investigation-public-secrecy

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite. Theres some real cruelty going on over there. Especially when it comes to bears. They have to get some PSAs going to change the collective mindset of people.

There's some real cruelty going on all over the world dude. Look at the links I posted previously. Chances are, if you eat meat in America, you're eating meat produced in which animals suffer terrible, inhumane conditions all their lives. There's a reason "free range" is a thing. Because most, you know, of the meat you eat isn't free range, and these animals are stuck in cages and pump fed antibiotics and nutrients their whole miserable lives.

Maybe I'm just fired up because I'm sick of this kind of casual racism about Chinese/Asian/minority people in general. I'm Chinese-American, btw, and I don't appreciate having to read shit about how Chinese are "backwards" and "inhumane" dog eaters all the fucking time. This guy OP posted is criminal, definitely. Doesn't mean you can spout nonsense about avoiding the meat in China because it might be dog and then clutch Fifi tighter while you gloat in your moral superiority over those backwards Chinese people.

zeemumu

He stole the pets.

Doesn't fear do the opposite and that's why hunters try to kill their prey in a single shot?

Every fuckin' time.

Erheller

My thought was that I will not be able to read a menu so I would avoid ordering meat. Honestly, "Damn, dirty Chinese" never entered my mind.
Now that I know cat and dog meat is mainly confined to rural China and southern China, I may order meat in northern China.

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth specifically, but there have been threads in the past where gaffers said that they probably have eaten cat/dog meat at some point because they ate out at Chinese restaurants in America. Which is pure bullshit, because they're implying that the owners slip in cat/dog meat... just because?

If you're worried about ordering dog meat from a menu, try using the google translate app! Apparently it's unblocked in China now

At the risk of being another one of xenophobic posters, I'd totally be down to eat dog in Switzerland as opposed to doing it in Asia. The above mentioned gutter oil factors into this.

Jesus titty fucking Christ, now it's gutter oil? Bro, have you even been to China? It's you know, a pretty big fucking place. Definitely, some poorer, desperate parts of China and some shady establishments might be using gutter oil, but most places you would visit as a tourist in China, are you know, normal and maybe even quite nice?

It's like talking about what goes on in Detroit and drawing conclusions about the rest of America.

Yes, China has some serious problems. But standards of living are rising rapidly; in fact, the life expectancy is only 3 years less than America (75.78 vs 78.94).

I didn't mean to put words in your mouth specifically, but there have been threads in the past where gaffers said that they probably have eaten cat/dog meat at some point because they ate out at Chinese restaurants in America. Which is pure bullshit, because they're implying that the owners slip in cat/dog meat... just because?

To be fair, the old Asian place in my town got raided by the police and shut down when they found a freezer full of dead cats and dogs they had caught and stolen. So while I would hope it's exceedingly rare it does happen.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Doesn't fear do the opposite and that's why hunters try to kill their prey in a single shot?

Every fuckin' time.

I've heard the same, but I don't think it matters to them. Rhino horn has zero medicinal properties yet some people still consumed it there too. Point being, once a belief takes hold, it can be difficult to push out and discredit. Both issues (rhino horn and stealing pets for food) had strong opposition among locals and the government. It's not like Vietnam or China is just filled with dog stealing poachers. But there is enough demand for both that a lucrative criminal trade exists.

Deepwater

Jesus titty fucking Christ, now it's gutter oil? Bro, have you even been to China? It's you know, a pretty big fucking place. Definitely, some poorer, desperate parts of China and some shady establishments might be using gutter oil, but most places you would visit as a tourist in China, are you know, normal and maybe even quite nice?

It's like talking about what goes on in Detroit and drawing conclusions about the rest of America.

Yes, China has some serious problems. But standards of living are rising rapidly; in fact, the life expectancy is only 3 years less than America (75.78 vs 78.94).

"I'm not saying everybody in Detroit are crack dealers, but my friend's second cousin sister in law just recently went to jail for using her house as a trap house. It's just a trend, yanno?"

Kite

I agree, people seem to have no problem making borderline racist or insensitive comments when this topic comes up. I remember not too long ago Tesco here in the UK got in big trouble for (unknowingly I think?) selling horse meat instead of pig/cows/whatever so I'd wager many countries aren't as squeaky clean as people make them out to be.

EDIT: Here's an article if anyone's curious.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...scandal-guardian-investigation-public-secrecy

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/w...lls-its-meatballs-horse-meat-is-detected.html

They found horse meat in Ikea's swedish meatballs as well.

To be fair, the old Asian place in my town got raided by the police and shut down when they found a freezer full of dead cats and dogs they had caught and stolen. So while I would hope it's exceedingly rare it does happen.

Damn bro that's shit luck. There happen to be 41000 other Chinese restaurants in America, most of them without dead cats and dogs in the freezer. Better luck next time.

Why is it worse than eating, say, pigs other than culture? (pigs are smart animals).
Because it incentivizes low income individual's to steal people's pets and sell them.

If the choices were between back breaking labor, working at the Foxconn plant or abducting some dogs and cats that roam the streets (even with tags), I'm not sure I can condemn them. Especially if it's legal to sell these animals as livestock.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
As a matter fact I have two Chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of my residence at either end, 3 if I expand it to 8 blocks. And yes I eat beef and pork, but here where I'm from 🇺🇸, dogs are a man's best friend. We don't eat dogs or cats or hamsters. And yea I should be wary of the Chinese dude maybe. Apple sticks are good tho.

Wow

Dude, most restaurants in China don't serve dog. It's not even a regional thing. I guarantee you 99% of the restaurants don't serve dog, and most of the ones that do it's like a one item specialty thing, like foie gras in French restaurants (which btw, is pretty 'backwards' and 'barbaric' in the way its prepared by force feeding ducks several times a day to result in a fatty liver). If you show up at a restaurant in a big city, or any tourist area throughout China, they're not gonna see the waiguoren struggling to order something off the menu and serve up some stir fried puppy just for you.

As a matter fact I have two Chinese restaurants within 2 blocks of my residence at either end, 3 if I expand it to 8 blocks. And yes I eat beef and pork, but here where I'm from ����, dogs are a man's best friend. We don't eat dogs or cats or hamsters. And yea I should be wary of the Chinese dude maybe. Apple sticks are good tho.

Hahahaha. Never thought of my dogs as food but yea sure, w.e. works for folks.

Dude sounds like he has lead poisoning. I heard something in the news about that in America. Shits crazy over there, don't drink the water if you visit.

Release the 500 cats? Where? Fucking spay and neuter them at least.

Do the Chinese gov't just have no fucking clue how to deal with anything animal-related? Get your fucking shit together.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
You can find restaurants all over China and Vietnam that sell dog and cat meat. As well as meat from a variety of endangered animals like pangolin. You just need to know where to go and what to ask for. It helps to have a local with you. I had a place on my block that would serve you just about anything as long as you had the money and they thought you'd be discreet about it. This wasn't some shithole place or hidden away. It was a nice, clean, and modern restaurant. But the fact remains most people don't eat any of that in those countries, it's too expensive, not as tasty, and as pet ownership becomes more common, people are less likely to see eating either animal as necessary or desirable.

That said, again, the issue isn't eating dog or cat, it's the theft of people's pets. And with animals like pangolins it's the idiocy of eating something so close to extinction. Don't deplete your food source or remove a part of the ecosystem so you can brag about eating something weird. And despite all of that meat being eaten by a small percent of the population, that's still enough to prompt a dangerous and illegal market that affects people's lives.

Erheller

Dude sounds like he has lead poisoning. I heard something in the news about that in America. Shits crazy over there, don't drink the water if you visit there.

Damn dude, lead poisoning? Which areas have the highest concentrations? I'll avoid those areas.

Actually, maybe I'll just avoid visiting America - I guess you can't tell if you're in a high-lead area and it's going to get in the food and I'll probably get cancer and die.

I used to live in a town (rural Illinois) where the radium levels were through the roof. If you didn't have a water softener, the toilet bowls and sinks would turn a very unpleasant red after a few weeks. It took 15 years for the town to fix that shit.

There's some real cruelty going on all over the world dude. Look at the links I posted previously. Chances are, if you eat meat in America, you're eating meat produced in which animals suffer terrible, inhumane conditions all their lives. There's a reason "free range" is a thing. Because most, you know, of the meat you eat isn't free range, and these animals are stuck in cages and pump fed antibiotics and nutrients their whole miserable lives.

Maybe I'm just fired up because I'm sick of this kind of casual racism about Chinese/Asian/minority people in general. I'm Chinese-American, btw, and I don't appreciate having to read shit about how Chinese are "backwards" and "inhumane" dog eaters all the fucking time. This guy OP posted is criminal, definitely. Doesn't mean you can spout nonsense about avoiding the meat in China because it might be dog and then clutch Fifi tighter while you gloat in your moral superiority over those backwards Chinese people.

Oh I know. Most of us participate in a barbarous system. Most of us love it and hate it at the same time. And its unfair to signal out the asian cultures here.

And I know Im a hypocrite because Im five minutes away from grilling some burgers. And Im not confident they lead a decent life.

Blizzard

Banned
That's clearly not the case for several folks in this thread, which is bollocks of course, since pigs are smart, rabbits are perfect pet animals, etc.
I'm suggesting it SHOULD be the problem for those people. Whether you like cats or not, they shouldn't be tortured or stolen.

Top Bottom