• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiptunes |OT| Not just for games anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'mma gonna give a shout-out to Maxo, a great chiptune artist with a few releases so far, and some great taste in game music and talent for chiptune-related productions. So good.

usea

Here's a video of the warptYMe album with intro music by ST old-timer Mad Max (Jochen Hippel)
http://www.demoscene.tv/prod.php?id_prod=12656

edit: btw, warptYMe has a more experimental futuristic sound compared to the other albums, so don't let that color your opinion if you don't like it.
Damn that's so good.

A bit off-topic, love the logo on that page for the streaming service:
logo.png

-KRS-

^lol I didn't even notice that.

Once more: LISTEN TO SOUNDSHOCK FM FUNK TERROR!! One of the greatest chiptune albums ever made, made by game musicians for game musicians. And, as far as I'm concerned, it's the single-most relevant and sincere dedication to the art-form of phase-modulation musical synthesis known on this planet Earth.

Damn that's good. Dat funky bass. Dat pumping beat. I always felt that FM synthesis lends itself well to that style of music and this album really shows it. Though some songs seem to be made on a PC with VST plugins or other software. It would be even more awesome if they were all made on actual FM synth hardware. But the software based synths sound pretty damn good anyway so I'm not complaining. :)

I like you guys.

Let's all enjoy some Alex Mauer while we're at it.

Listened to those songs and then looked up his site where he apparently has a free NES music cartridge for download with an actual .nes ROM file. Nice! Gonna load that onto my PowerPak later and listen on my NES. There aren't a whole lot of music demos for the NES so this is a rare treat. I already have some of his older NSF files on the PP, but I've never really given them a chance for some reason.

Does Souleye not count because he doesn't base his music on a specific hardware configuration and does post-processing?

Because if he does count, Souleye.

His work in VVVVVV was amazing, and his new album Adventure is awesome as well. You can listen to almost all of it on its page. Piercing the Sky is the best.

yV2m8.png

Another awesome album is Impostor Nostalgia, which is a compilation from different artists put together by Big Giant Circles. Some of the artists have already been mentioned here.

Katana Blaster rocks (both of them).

FIjcH.png

Damn that's good. Dat funky bass. Dat pumping beat. I always felt that FM synthesis lends itself well to that style of music and this album really shows it. Though some songs seem to be made on a PC with VST plugins or other software. It would be even more awesome if they were all made on actual FM synth hardware. But the software based synths sound pretty damn good anyway so I'm not complaining. :)
But FM-synth music generally is programmed on PCs anyway. There's only one track that really doesn't confine to the standards of the album, and that was Manwe's contribution (which is technically-proficient anyway). Glad you liked it though!

Link1110

I'm into Famitracker, but don't know much about how to use music software. Are there any tools for other platforms (Game Boy in particular) that are that easy to use?

I'll try and get some of my songs up on YouTube (though they may or may not count since I intend to put at least most of them in an rpg maker game.)

ShaneB

Does Souleye not count because he doesn't base his music on a specific hardware configuration and does post-processing?

Because if he does count, Souleye.

His work in VVVVVV was amazing, and his new album Adventure is awesome as well. You can listen to almost all of it on its page. Piercing the Sky is the best.

yV2m8.png

Another awesome album is Impostor Nostalgia, which is a compilation from different artists put together by Big Giant Circles. Some of the artists have already been mentioned here.

Katana Blaster rocks (both of them).

FIjcH.png

Oh man, both of these are so damn good! Thanks for this!

Oh man, both of these are so damn good! Thanks for this!

No problem! I tend to like chiptunes that sound like they'd fit in with a good video game, and not as much the experimental-sounding stuff. I don't like my music too dirty, I want a good melody and chord progression. Not that the earlier music in this thread doesn't meet that criteria, obviously, but these two are probably my favorite recent albums. I also like Rushjet a lot, mentioned in the OP.

Too bad this thread kind of fell off, but I guess chiptunes are not for everyone.

ShaneB

No problem! I tend to like chiptunes that sound like they'd fit in with a good video game, and not as much the experimental-sounding stuff. I don't like my music too dirty, I want a good melody and chord progression. Not that the earlier music in this thread doesn't meet that criteria, obviously, but these two are probably my favorite recent albums. I also like Rushjet a lot, mentioned in the OP.

Too bad this thread kind of fell off, but I guess chiptunes are not for everyone.

Sorry for the late reply.

Yeah, we're got pretty similar tastes. I definitely prefer the "simpler" stuff. I hate using that word, but just in general the more straightforward melody driven stuff. But I do love great production as well, want it to feel full and pretty powerful, love that powerful bass sound. I guess Norrin Radd will probably always be my favourite, given my metal background, and he's a pretty damn cool dude too... except it's odd, I don't really like his "metal metal" stuff, lol. Unfinished Symphony is awesome however.

how the fuck did I miss this thread?

Been going to blip fest for the past 3 years till now (the last one...)

I'm mostly a huge Infinity Shred/Starscream freak... talked with the dude once and he's awesome.

In fact I've collaborated with Disasterpeace in the past as well as other chiptune dude:

Disasterpeace Music Video

In fact I've off and on been trying to start something similar to Blip Fest but for floridians.

OnPoint

Danimal Cannon and Zef just put out release together called Parallel Processing.

Heavy, heavy stuff.

2899023025-1.jpg

Parallel Processing refers to not just the joining of two Gameboy processors together, but the combined efforts of different musical minds as well. Danimal Cannon and Zef combined their powers together buddy system style in order to create an album that neither one of them could have created on their own.

http://danimalcannon.bandcamp.com/album/parallel-processing

BIGWORM

Just like to share names while I'm on MobileGAF:

Disasterpiece for FEZ soundtrack
C418 for Minecraft soundtrack
Lifeformed for Dust Force soundtrack.

I was always wondering if GAF had a Chiptune OT. Now that I've found it, I'll give the thread a few more songs.

Jeroen Tel - In my life, my mind. One of my favourite artists and did wonders with the SID chip. Only found this song yesterday actually and I'm still listening to it.

Jayster - Ice Mines. First heard this on the FamiTracker forums. Is apperently going to be used in an iOS game for which he is doing the soundtrack for.

Virt - First Flight. My favourite track in FX4.

Also as it hasn't been posted the annual Famicompo Mini had it's 9th competition a couple of months back. I ended up getting 57th place with the cover I made which I thought was pretty good, there's a load of great music that got entered (and a few joke entries), so it's worth a listen! FC9 Home.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Sick shit, guys. I've been really getting into electronic music lately and one of the things I love most is the chippy sounds off of Crystal Castle's stuff.

I just grabbed a shit ton of awesome tunes due to this thread. Say, I remember Anamanaguchi did the intro to the "Talk Radar" podcast back in the day. Anyone recall the name of that tune?

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Here are some of my favs, pretty varied in style.

I make some chill chiptune/fakebit too, but I probably should just rep the people who put me to shame rather than my music, lol

I love Beek, he makes some hella catchy stuff. "Blue Slide" has to be one of my favorite songs, ever, in any genre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbHOE2WNg_I
http://b-e-e-k.bandcamp.com/

3348197405-1.jpg

Rainbowdragoneyes is amazing too. Chiptune, heavy metal, all wrapped together. What's not to like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_0i5RRV8E0
http://rainbowdragoneyes.bandcamp.com/album/the-primordial-booze

4052259928-1.jpg

Coda has some great, cinematic pieces. Lots of epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCSf7GGno90
http://yogurtbox.bandcamp.com/album/tracer

844411962-1.jpg

Downstate makes some really dirty, nasty, glitchy stuff, incorporating all kinds of samples and sounds and distortion. You can in even hear my voice in parts of "Inbox"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL6-ysIp_x0
http://downstate.bandcamp.com/album/inbox

1960952073-1.jpg

and Machinae Supremacy is kinda fun sometimes. Power metal that really cheesy with a mediocre vocalist, but some sweet SID stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y05TDInaeU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6V4zbDDWms
http://machinaesupremacy.com/

Machinae_supremacy_avfteotw_cover.jpg

usea

I haven't heard anything by beek since the early 2000s. Thanks for linking his bandcamp.

Those are some great links. Love the coda song.

OnPoint

There's actually pretty sweet sale going on right now, pay what you want, for a lot of music mentioned in this thread.

http://groupees.com/chip2

Includes:

The Daydream Elevator - Bubu
Computer Savvy - The J Arthur Keenes Band
Tree of Knowledge - yogurtbox
Roots - Danimal Cannon
Monsters - Superpowerless
Preschtale - C-Jeff
MORE FAKEBIT - Maxo
Covers Volume 1 - Superpowerless
The World's Smallest Violin - The J Arthur Keenes Band

m3r4

Dufter Typ taking lurking to the next level
Okay, so today I rediscovered my love for Sister Waize. I'm not really sure if it qualifies as Chiptunes.. In fact, my favourite album is labelled as "Romantic Bitpop", which I'm totally cool with. All his work is downloadable via his website.

(Click to download)

My favourite song has to be "I Hide". Goosebumps all over, man.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
I saw Amanaguchi live last friday. No idea what to expect (first time hearing/seeing Chiptune outside of the confines of my appartment) but it was pretty cool! Mosh pit and crowd surfing and all.

Aeana

I didn't even know this thread existed. Will definitely check out everything mentioned. I noticed that nobody had linked Fearofdark's Motorway, so I'm gonna.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I didn't even know this thread existed. Will definitely check out everything mentioned. I noticed that nobody had linked Fearofdark's Motorway, so I'm gonna.

Fearofdark is a boss. I remember him from back when we both posted/made chiptune on 8bitcollective (RIP)

OnPoint

How the hell did I forget Motorway. God damn it.

OP needs to be updated anyway. I think I'll do that soon.

Anyway, here's a recent post by Danimal concerning chiptunes and his anger surrounding public perception. Thought this would be a relevant place to put it, so:

THE 8-BIT CASH-IN, AND THE DILUTION OF AN ARTFORM.

For the past 3 years I’ve been heavily involved in the chiptune music scene. We make songs with old sound chips from gaming consoles (or emulating them), and it’s a vibrant scene of people writing their own music software, designing their own instruments, and taking minimalistic sounds to their maximum potential.

It’s pretty awesome.

There’s a ton of diversity in style, mixed media crossover, and it sounds cool! It’s still a little underground, but new fans are becoming enamored with it every day. I would say, for the most part, the scene is healthy and growing.

There’s an urge to label this kind of music with something simple and relatable. Most often, the word “8-bit” seems to crop up. It’s not really an accurate term, most music made in the chiptune is actually 4-bit, which is even more impressive! But it works for the general masses. Anything resembling pixel art, square waves, and a picture of Mario is considered 8-bit, and it works good enough.

At some point in the early Aughts, anything with cheap pixel art and a Mario or Zelda reference started flying off the shelves of Hot Topic. While there were hundreds of examples of amazing derivative art from these icons, it seemed that the lowest common denominator of these seemed to appear on shirts. This was the 8-bit cash-in.

tumblr_inline_mm39yxiZfk1qz4rgp.jpg

(what does that even mean?!)

We “remembered our roots!” while donning a shirt with an NES controller on it. And that’s totally fine, it made a subculture of retro gaming, which has a lot of crossover with the chiptune music scene.

So how does this affect me as a musician, in my little scene? A few years ago, people realized that covers of songs in some niche musical styles get a lot of traffic, especially on YouTube. For example: You might find a song by Metallica in an 8-bit style, and a song from Super Mario in a metal style. So for some reason, the quality of these covers didn’t actually have to be remotely good.

90% of the 8-bit covers of popular music were TERRIBLE. Enough so, that if they had been presented in the chiptune scene, they would be lumped in with the worst beginners. Lazy techniques (GSXCC), MIDI rips (theft), and wrong notes everywhere. Now, this is not something exclusive to chiptune. Most “metal” covers on YouTube have awful programmed drums, a distorted guitar, and a superfluous 3rds harmony and call it a day. I’ve seen dozens of songs labeled and promoted as “dubstep” or “trap” that are just dance tracks that don’t even remotely resemble the genre.

This proved that it’s more important to label your track with some hot genre than to actually pay tribute to the song you’re covering. I’m not against covers, I cover songs all the time. But these cash-in songs are at best lazy, and at worst intellectual theft.

There is a distinct difference between “8-bit” covers and “metal” or “dubstep” covers though. Metal, and to a lesser extent dubstep, have some representation in the mainstream music world. The collective public will recognize a shitty metal track when they hear one, but they are barely aware of the chiptune scene. This is my music scene’s primary representation in the music world.

On April 19th, Daft Punk released “Get Lucky” from their highly anticipated new album. The hype was huge, I couldn’t get through 20 posts on my social media screens without seeing something about Daft Punk.

Highly anticipated track coming out? Surely some asshole is going to rush in to cover it as soon as possible, just to cash-in on the traffic. And sure enough, on April 20th, one day later, we have “Daft Punk - Get Lucky 8 Bit”. This is the musical equivalent to a “FIRST POST” on a popular thread. It’s shitbag behavior. But you know what? Holy shit, it’s got a ton of traffic. It’s not even a bad cover compared to all the shit out there! But the intentions are slimier than a used car salesman, and essentially this again is the primary mode of exposure for our artform. ”8-bit” is reduced to nothing more than a traffic driving tag.

Youtube link
(why don’t we see General MIDI covers?)

So this brings me to my main point. Because this is so effective, because it’s so prevalent, it severely dilutes the quality of the music scene in general. Why should I focus on developing the greatest chiptune techniques and laboring over composition, when I can just throw together a lazy cover of something topical and be far more successful? It’s gotten so bad that I can literally count on a metal/dubstep/8bit cover of anything trending within at least a week. A real artist doesn’t need to label his shit “8-bit” in the title, because then you’re putting the aesthetic before the actual music, and in my humble opinion, that is making music for the wrong reasons.

This is exactly the reason a lot of chip musicians in the scene don’t even use “8-bit” to describe their music. It’s just “chiptune” or “chipmusic” because it’s not about getting you to pay attention because you loved Super Mario and Dragon Warrior. It’s about getting you to pay attention because it’s a really fucking awesome sonic palette full of weird yet awesome musical techniques.

-Source

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
How the hell did I forget Motorway. God damn it.

OP needs to be updated anyway. I think I'll do that soon.

Anyway, here's a recent post by Danimal concerning chiptunes and his anger surrounding public perception. Thought this would be a relevant place to put it, so:

I like that, very well presented point.

Haven't heard that album before but Fearofdark's FCM9 entry was amazing, it should've won the whole thing:

Fearofdark ~ Chrono Trigger - To Far Away Times

Also want to link this song from the FamiTracker Forum:

Click here

A cover of Gusty Garden Galaxy with the N163 expansion chip, with instruments that sound nothing like what a Famicom can produce. Can't find a link for it on Youtube or anywhere else so you need FamiTracker to play it.

I saw Anamanaguchi live, their regular stuff is just as good as the Scott Pilgrim OST.

They are awesome live. Most fun I've ever had at a show. They played a show here in Tallahassee, FL a few years ago with Peelander Z and it was epic. I ended up getting WAY too drunk though, and left my vinyl copy of Dawn Metropolis in my car, where the hot FL sun warped it. I had picked it up years ago at the first PAX East and brought it to the show to get it signed. What sucks is that I just found out a few months ago that vinyl copies of that record are super rare and worth a good chunk of change. Not that I'd ever sell it, but it means I won't easily be able to replace it with another copy.

New album out in about two weeks, I can't fucking wait.

OnPoint

OP updated with a bunch of the artists recommended by you guys! I'll do more at some point in the future, there are a few I definitely want to get in there.

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom