• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chiptunes |OT| Not just for games anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good idea, I'll edit a section in at some point.

I've been learning Famitracker the last couple years. LSDJ on the Game Boy is also another good, easy to get into tool.

http://famitracker.com/

http://www.littlesounddj.com/lsd/

FamiTracker is a great program. Once you learn all the basics you can do some pretty amazing stuff with it. I've made about 7 modules with it so far with it.

I've also heard good things about LSDJ. Will download that eventually.

OnPoint

Well, if we're getting into this, if any GAFfers wanna post stuff they've made, feel free. I'll start off with some stuff I'm making for a game my friends and I are putting together. All put together in Famitracker, stock 4 channel with no samples. Feel free to critique.

Theme of Louie Vil

Resonance

Boss Music

OnPoint

I really need to get into Famitracker/LSDJ. I've always wanted to.

I thought I could learn it myself once. I was wrong. Then I followed this tutorial all the way through and I was able to move up and on from there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwNElW5IEo0

There are four parts, which eventually culminates in you building Kraid's Theme from Metroid, note for note perfect. It's a great feeling to learn how they did some of the things they did in that song, and it definitely teaches you the basics of how the channels work together.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Well, if we're getting into this, if any GAFfers wanna post stuff they've made, feel free. I'll start off with some stuff I'm making for a game my friends and I are putting together. All put together in Famitracker, stock 4 channel with no samples. Feel free to critique.

Theme of Louie Vil

Resonance

Boss Music

I've been working on a small EP for a while. I'll post here when it's a more presentable state (I'll have it up on bandcamp/mediafire/dropbox/etc.)

Seeing as we are sharing what we've got here's most of the stuff I've done on FamiTracker.

here.

All of it are covers of songs I've listened to. All are in varying quality.

OnPoint

I've been working on a small EP for a while. I'll post here when it's a more presentable state (I'll have it up on bandcamp/mediafire/dropbox/etc.)

I look forward to hearing it.

Seeing as we are sharing what we've got here's most of the stuff I've done on FamiTracker.

here.

Most of yours are pretty good but man, I really like Keroro RPG - Final Boss. Nice work!

Most of yours are pretty good but man, I really like Keroro RPG - Final Boss. Nice work!

Thanks! I should really get back into tracking, haven't done anything since December. Your stuff is pretty good too. Your style is definately inspired by Mega Man, the techniques are very similar.

OnPoint

Thanks! I should really get back into tracking, haven't done anything since December. Your stuff is pretty good too. Your style is definately inspired by Mega Man, the techniques are very similar.

Thanks man. I want to figure out other styles, but the Mega Man one just keeps coming out haha Gave you a follow on there. Hope to see more from you soon.

LaneDS

Theme of Louie Vil

Resonance

Boss Music

Resonance sounding pretty rad! Nice work!

here.

Really liked both Connect VRC6 and the Keroro RPG Final Boss tracks!

Might have to futz with Famitracker one day, seems neat and I have a strong love of chiptunes in general (but likely little talent for creating stuff like what y'all linked).

OnPoint

Resonance sounding pretty rad! Nice work!

Really liked both Connect VRC6 and the Keroro RPG Final Boss tracks!

Might have to futz with Famitracker one day, seems neat and I have a strong love of chiptunes in general (but likely little talent for creating stuff like what y'all linked).

Thanks, I did a lot of work on that one trying to bolster the low-end of the song. It's hard because the 2A03 has such little depth, especially compared to the Game Boy processor.

And don't sell yourself short until you try the program. Maybe you'll outclass all of us!

If you missed it, Anamanaguchi was on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon last night. You can watch their performance on Hulu at http://www.hulu.com/watch/502038#i1,p0,d1.

I think the performance was about as good as it could be given the limitations of performing on TV. It's really hard to get across what makes this band so awesome on TV, since so much of their live show is the vibe between them and the crowd, and all the lights, projections, and dancing. They tried their best to emulate that by giving some of the light rods to the nearby crowd, and I think that helped a lot. I love that Fallon has audience members surround the band, it really helps make the performance feel more like an actual live gig and not just a TV performance.

However, as awesome as Endless Fantasy is (and it really is a killer track) I kinda wish they'd gone with Prom Night. I think it's a much more accessible song, which would be a good choice for a mainstream gig like this.

So, a crazy thing apparently exists and/or happened recently as I dug around my bookmarks to see what has been going on in various mysterious things in the months ticked on by---Yuzo Koshiro taking an interest in something "Genesis" related:

http://chipmusic.org/forums/topic/10684/sega-vst-fmdrive-2612-genesis-extended-fm-synth/page/4/ A few posts down

http://www.alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html

Granted, it is pretty much a case of the dev's word here from a post on Chipmusic, but I'm inclined to believe the guy since he is apparently already crazy and talented enough to pull off this kind of project in the first place. I'm also not entirely sure the thing is even legal in the strictest sense since this walks a stranger line than most on the emulation front, but can Yuzo really go/do/be wrong?

Also looks like the last v1.2 update did various potent things which give it at least the look of something very much alive on the future development front, so yeah, is there anybody on GAF that has taken the plunge on this thing from the utmost margins of Hobbyist Land and has a trip report to share?

cross posted from the Genesis thread

I know most people like to shit on Streets of Rage 3's soundtrack, but if you're one of the creeps like me who loves it, I just ran across some new live stuff by SoR3 co-composer Motohiro Kawashima. Great FM-sounding tunes!

Part 1
Part 2

I have a sabrepulse tattoo on my back hahaha

Great thread. Finally people I can cry about 8BC disappearing from the face of the internet with!

Also, great list of artists in the main thread. J Arthur Keenes Ruuuules! I'd also recommend:

Sievert
Saskrotch
Swampyboy
Kola Kid
Henry Homesweet (His early stuff, not his crappy House dub stuff nowadays)

I actually got to see Anamanaguchi, Sabrepulse, Henry Homesweet, and Trey Frey during their 8-Bit Alliance Tour a few years back. And Anamanaguchi is coming back to Pittsburgh soon!!!

ALSO!

My friend, Arcade High, just released his newest album. While not directly chiptune, it has had a ton of influence on the album, give it a listen! His friend apparently works at Double Fine Studios and mentioned that some of the guys there are loving it hahaha.

(click da pic)

Wow, that Arcade High album is really damn good so far, thanks for sharing.

No sweat! I'll let him know you like it! We go to film school together and are writing a new short film. Keep an eye out for the kickstarter :p

Up, Down, Left, Right is my favorite song on the album

-KRS-

Some suggestion on something made on the S-SMP/SPC700 aka the SNES audio chip?

Sorry I can't help, but I'd like to know this as well. It's pretty uncommon because of reasons explained in this thread. http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?t=6639

Basically the SPC700 is a separate CPU that would require learning its assembly language to make good use of. And since there aren't very many assemblers for it it's kind of difficult to make user-friendly music tools like trackers and such. And since there aren't any music tools most chip musicians simply won't care enough/have enough time to learn how to do it by hand or make their own tools.

That said, when I was at the Little Computer People 2009 demo party there was someone there that had made some SNES music and entered it into the "wild" compo where they played it back on a real SNES using some odd looking backup utility. So there are homemade songs out there.

ShaneB

No sweat! I'll let him know you like it! We go to film school together and are writing a new short film. Keep an eye out for the kickstarter :p

Up, Down, Left, Right is my favorite song on the album

Just finished listening to it, and yeah, that was great, so thanks again for sharing *starts listening to it again* If he's doing the soundtrack for that film, I'll keep my eye out :p

Just finished listening to it, and yeah, that was great, so thanks again for sharing *starts listening to it again* If he's doing the soundtrack for that film, I'll keep my eye out :p

He's doing a track for a compilation CD we're getting various artists to make with songs inspired by a spec scene that we are releasing soon. He's actually writing and directing the film and I'm the cinematographer :). A lot of amazing artists are gonna be making tracks for it, while not really chiptune, I'll keep ya posted!

Awesome dude Gryzor87 of the spiffy Maldita Castilla and a, if not, THE, English manual to pxtone has a new synth album afoot:

Cyberpast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf4ermhNyys
http://www.gr87.com/?page_id=779

This original album pays homage to 70′s and 80′s electronic/synthesized music and it is inspired by artists like Jean Michel Jarre, Kitaro, Vangelis, Jan Hammer or Vince DiCola. With 16 tracks and a full length of 58:20, it features melodies, chords, ambiences, arpeggios, rhythms and modulations.

For only 3€ you can download the FULL ALBUM (FLAC + MP3 @320 kbps) + all CD covers (Front/Back/CD/Inlay) + a 20 page PDF booklet with the history of synthesizers and production used in this album.

6 song EP/cover there for free.

OnPoint

Danimal Cannon on west coast tour soon

5861_673285256021370_422048012_n.jpg

OnPoint

I was listening to Kris Keyser all day because I saw your post this morning.

Thanks for the links.

Good. I'm glad someone's getting some enjoyment out of them.

One artist I kind of forgot about for a while but I'm glad I remembered is still making tunes it seems. NESMetal. Sometimes it's how I remember the soundtrack from Secret of Mana sounding, like, if my nostalgia were accurate. Here's a track for example. He uses Fruity Loops, so it's not technically chiptunes, but it's something that would appeal to people who like chiptunes but also like metal (hence the name, durrr).

https://soundcloud.com/nesmetal/nesmetal-overtheedge

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I feel like this topic was made for me.

Anyone know when 8bc is coming back, if ever? :(

Some of my favorite chiptune artists:

Electric Children (srsly, his latest album Year-Long Hangover is AMAZEBALLS but also pretty lyric-y.)

Modula Screen (how is it that so many great chiptuners are from Malaysia?)

IAYD (one of my long-term favorites, found them when I was just getting into chunes)

New Software

Power-FM http://www.bitmania.de/index.php?page=246

This definitely isn't something you see every day, a newly inspired OPL 3 FM Synth-oriented tracker:

The Score editor Features.
-Score-based layout (no-patterns)
-100 Step undo buffer.
-64 Cue points.

more to come.

The Synth editor Features:

-Instrument can contain two sounds with each two operators.
-Graphical instrument edit
-Fm mode, Additive Mode and in Additive Mode, you can also chose between two different type of ring modulations
-23 Different sound wave forms
-Modulation Multiply factor (The output of the modulation can be multiply from 1x8)
-Cross and fine tune
-One sub oscillator per operators
-Opl3 Amp Modulation
-Programmable Vibrator
-With 12 Different wave forms
-Normal or One shot mode
-Programmable Amp modulator
-With 12 Different wave forms
-Normal, Step or One shot mode
-Advance Bend function.

-Stereo panning.
-Instrument volume.

More to come.

It is still in Beta and I believe there's an even newer indev version that hasn't landed on the site proper that adds some other quality of life goodies like WAV exporting and file associating as things continue to improve.

The dev is straining to get feedback, trip reports, constructiive criticism---hell, attention outright at this point....so do feel free to shoot him all manner of lines folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom