• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chocolate recommendation thread

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I fucking love chocolate and I've found I like ordering chocolate online from time to time. Once Fall comes, I'm going to start ordering some again, so it won't arrive melted. I know some retailers ship with ice packs, but last time I did that, the ice pack arrived melted(and so did the chocolate).

I'm not talking your everyday American candy like Twix, Snickers, Milky Ways, etc. I love European chocolate. Typically love anything with peanut butter or mint. Or gooey fruit centers like strawberry. I can't eat any kinds of nuts and don't really like coconut. I prefer dark chocolate, but not opposed to milk.

If you have any recommendations, I'd appreciate it :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

kiiltz

hHUrtVh.jpg

?

AnotherOne

Is the peru one worth that price tag? Most I've ever paid for dark chocolate was organic 85% dark for like 5$canadian

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It’s an expensive habit 😣 I bought the wife a subscription and it was 50 AUD (around 35 USD) for 4 bars per month.

I like these things called Buckeyes, I ordered a box online they are like $45+ a pop. Damn right it's expensive lol. But my brain and taste buds don't care when they're pounding em down.

Papa

Banned

Quite tasty single-origin chocolate

I second Willie’s. The orange packet (Venezuelan bean) is god tier up there with the other two I recommended.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There was some kinda chocolate I had about 5-6 years ago that came in a gift basket and accidentally threw away the packaging and I have since never found out what they were, they were so incredibly delicious. My description would probably be way too incredibly vague for anyone to know what I'm talking about, but if anyone is willing to take a stab I'm game.

The Lindt and Guylian posted here are fantastic.

Have you tried any Milka bars? They're great and there's a range to choose from (strawberry etc).
Try Nestle's mint Aero bar, After Eights and Fry's peppermint chocolate if you haven't.
Also try out a Terry's chocolate orange if you haven't had one. A favorite for sure.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
The Lindt and Guylian posted here are fantastic.

Have you tried any Milka bars? They're great and there's a range to choose from (strawberry etc).
Try Nestle's mint Aero bar, After Eights and Fry's peppermint chocolate if you haven't.
Also try out a Terry's chocolate orange if you haven't had one. A favorite for sure.

The Milka and Aero been on my list to try for years. Only reason I haven't yet is because I prioritized other things first, and I was going to order them from Amazon 3rd party sellers and weren't sure they'd arrive fresh. Saw some reviews of some sellers say their candy was stale or past the exp. date. But I'll definitely get to them one way or another. Kinder Bueno is another on that list I've yet to try. As are Cherry Ripe.

Some sellers are waaaay overpriced though.

Last edited:
Well my favorite chocolate things are these. I'm not sure if they ship the donuts or not.
0007275900305_A

61WBTQgOjCL._SL1000_.jpg

If your buying in bulk to make stuff on your own I'd suggest Belgian chocolate imports.

I like to order lindt truffles. They're filled with chocolate cream. My personal favorite are the white chocolates. But they're all great.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
This is a pretty famous chocolate brand, they have a lot in Europe

Its pretty good but im not huge into chocolate. BUT we saw one of these shops in Hawaii and they had chocolate milkshakes and it was such an incredible milkshake, not too sweet, just perfection.

Papa

Banned
This is a pretty famous chocolate brand, they have a lot in Europe

Its pretty good but im not huge into chocolate. BUT we saw one of these shops in Hawaii and they had chocolate milkshakes and it was such an incredible milkshake, not too sweet, just perfection.

At the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu? I’m going to Hawaii soon and will try it out.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
At the Ala Moana Center in Honolulu? I’m going to Hawaii soon and will try it out.

Yes this is such a dope mall. We have been to Oahu twice and each time we are like "we are going to spend a whole day at the mall when we need a break from the beach" and each time after a couple hours we are like "we spent too much lets go" lol.

Shoot me a PM if you want any other Oahu recommendations.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Gold Member
I like these things called Buckeyes, I ordered a box online they are like $45+ a pop. Damn right it's expensive lol. But my brain and taste buds don't care when they're pounding em down.

Those are really easy to make yourself. Just butter, peanut butter, vanilla, powdered sugar and chocalate. Save yourself the money and just make a batch at home (being a Buckeye myself, I get the taste for those now and again).
  • 387 g peanut butter
  • 113.5 g unsalted butter room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 360 g powdered sugar unsifted
  • 170.1 g semi-sweet chocolate (I just take a bar of high quality baking chocalate and hack it up)
  • 1 tablespoon shortening (bacon fat or coconut oil works fine as well)
To a stand mixer add the peanut butter, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar and beat it until it forms a stiff dough then then roll the dough into balls made with 2 teaspoons of dough.

Put it in the fridge for an hour or so.

Hack up your chocalate, blend it with your shortening and either melt it in a pot on the stove or in the microwave.

Take a peanut butter ball, put it on a toothpick, and dip it halfway into the chocolate. Let it cool. Eat.

My reccomendation for chocolate:

ploppcenter-636x358.jpg

Last edited:

Skyr

Omg
Taste best at the appropriate temperature.

hqdefault.jpg

Too bad they killed them, probably because people got addicted because it tasted so good.
OMG totally forgot about this.
HANDS DOWN the very best snack I’ve ever tasted. Loved them as a kid.
The new version of it is garbage tho. Can’t believe they did this.

Kinder Choco fresh from the fridge is still pretty good tho.
I recommend every foreign people who go to Germany (or wherever it’s available in Europe) to try it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom