• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) June 2023: #1 Diablo IV, #2 Final Fantasy XVI, #3 Street Fighter V; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who has no interest in Game Pass (too much of a choice results in me just not playing anything at all). I buy non-exclusives on Xbox because I trust the ecosystem they've built a lot more in that I assume my purchases will still be playable/downloadable in a decade or two, but I don't feel the same way about Sony's ecosystem yet (and DEFINITELY not Nintendo's - they're the only of the trinity that I'm still 100% physical on). I like how I'm still able to buy, play, and download games I bought back in the 360 days.

So because of hw design choices that only affect one generation you have the over inflated belief that somehow Xbox ecosystem is more trustworthy?

Uh ok sure Jan

T-0800

The fun thing about the forums was the narrative and the importance given to the conferences, a month ago it seemed that PS5 was going to sink and Xbox would take off due to its showcase, it has already been seen that it was not, PS5 stronger than ever and Xbox going down again, the people on the street couldn't care less about those shows.

People on the street don't even know these shows exist.

Laieon

So because of hw design choices that only affect one generation you have the over inflated belief that somehow Xbox ecosystem is more trustworthy?

Uh ok sure Jan
My name isn't Jan.

But yes, the design decisions that Microsoft implemented generations ago have affected my decisions in the platform I prefer to buy games on - don't fix what isn't broken and the Xbox ecosystem works for my needs. No need to switch just for the sake of switching. On a significantly minor level, I also prefer achievements over trophies and on a less significant level, the Xbox controller design over the Dualshock/Sense. Symmetrical controllers are uncomfortable.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
PS5

hulk-hogan-wwe.gif

Switch

giphy.gif

Xbox

sad-walk-of-shame.gif

ByWatterson

You make a great point.

Some people are desperate to paint the narrative that FF16 underperformed despite Sqaure-Enix themselves saying the opposite. But the main objective of the 3rd party exclusive for the platform holder was to sell consoles and FF16 delivered on both fronts.

And I get the feeling it will be an evergreen game like Spider-Man, Miles, and to a lesser extent, Horizon.

A game you get when you get a PS5.

This gen is pretty much done for Xbox and I don't see Starfield turning things around.
It might push Xbox to #2 in september, but that won't last.
Starfield will not turn around anything.Most will probably buy it for PC to get the best experience and with mods

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Yeah the folks at Microsoft have thrown in the towel in terms of Series console. Everyone understands that Xbox's long-term goal is to shift away from the hardware focus and that's fine, but imo you shouldn't do that smack dab in the middle of a console generation you decided to participate in. 20m+ consumers have purchased your hardware. You took their money with the understanding that they expect you to deliver support over a ~7yr period. And yet they still decided to throw the Series S out in the market without a care for their developer partners, who they knew would struggle to deliver their creative ideas under such limitations. Tried to cut corners and prioritize the quick $ while throwing up the middle finger to the devs. Welp now these devs are getting more comfortable by the day in sending that middle finger right back as the hw split gets larger and larger. MS laying on the shit stained bed they made.

EDMIX

I fucking HEARD this picture!

For the most part, this seems as expected.

FF, Diablo, Zelda, SF6 all make sense, now Spiderman games both charting a wild, those games are continuing to gain more and more new consumers. Likely from the film and from Spiderman 2 launching soon.

He actually is. Doesn't seem like it now but you have to think about the future.
The future is now. Xbox will be in the last place as long as the brand exist. Nothing can and nothing will change this, the writing is on the wall. The Gamepass model is a failure and MS can only make money if they give up on the hardware and use the aquired studios to release games on other platforms with the proven, traditional business model.

Also, there will be no Series Pro, Phil knows that he can't even mention it to his boss after what he has done this generation. The Act/Blizz buy will be his last "achivement" and eventually his demise.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The cheerleaders waiting for the Activision Blizzard deal to get approved will be disappointed that it won't change MS's position/market share in the console space.

Yeah, it's not going to really move the needle in anyway. Not this generation anyway. This gen is done.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The cheerleaders waiting for the Activision Blizzard deal to get approved will be disappointed that it won't change MS's position/market share in the console space.
Called that almost 2 years ago, (while most people on here were predicting that Unicron Microsoft would become so unstoppable that all of gaming would die except for their monopoly). Glad you finally agree.

yazenov

Called that almost 2 years ago, (while most people on here were predicting that Unicron Microsoft would become so unstoppable that all of gaming would die except for their monopoly). Glad you finally agree.

I don't really agree with the deal. Incompetence shouldn't be rewarded by buying up the industry with your parent's money in order to compete. Anyways, the dangers of buying up publishers are best left for another discussion elsewhere :messenger_winking:

Sanepar

This is not about this generation. This gen will not change anything. Besides COD anything from ABK will not come to PS in the future and MS will not stop on ABK, They are betting everything on gamepass and they won't stop on ABK. They know to enfoce renting they need more publishers, studios. ABK is just the beginning.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't really agree with the deal. Incompetence shouldn't be rewarded by buying up the industry with your parent's money in order to compete. Anyways, the dangers of buying up publishers are best left for another discussion elsewhere :messenger_winking:
That's fine. Trust me, I don't want to debate it either. Just saying that typically people in favor of the acquisition were actually saying that it wouldn't change much besides MS revenue. MS actually argued this in court as well. It was typically opponents of the deal claiming it was going to have such a profound effect that it was anti-competitive.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That's fine. Trust me, I don't want to debate it either. Just saying that typically people in favor of the acquisition were actually saying that it wouldn't change much besides MS revenue. MS actually argued this in court as well. It was typically opponents of the deal claiming it was going to have such a profound effect that it was anti-competitive.
There are several layers to something being/not being anti competitive.

Topher

Gold Member
My name isn't Jan.

But yes, the design decisions that Microsoft implemented generations ago have affected my decisions in the platform I prefer to buy games on - don't fix what isn't broken and the Xbox ecosystem works for my needs. No need to switch just for the sake of switching. On a significantly minor level, I also prefer achievements over trophies and on a less significant level, the Xbox controller design over the Dualshock/Sense. Symmetrical controllers are uncomfortable.

Just out of curiosity, what is about achievements that you like more than trophies? For me personally, I think Microsoft needs to add a Platinum equivalent. Makes it more interesting.

Laieon

Just out of curiosity, what is about achievements that you like more than trophies? For me personally, I think Microsoft needs to add a Platinum equivalent. Makes it more interesting.

That's exactly what I don't like about the trophy system - the different tiers. I just like the simplicity that is essentially a high score system.

I was told by xfans there were xsx shortages. We were told by phil shortages were fixed. What happened? Where is you hidin In Cold Blood In Cold Blood ?
Yes there was xbox shortages. See my post I made well before this all came out.

This was because MS was preferencing server blades for Xcloud over consoles.
It's pretty damm obvious.

Phil came out and said they were addressing the shortages and would be releasing more consoles to meet demand.
So here we are. Xbox supplies have increased, yet so has demand again.

Woopah

Its basically a Nintendo forum, and they're desperate to see a SE game without a Switch release fail miserably.
And yet the thread is very positive about PS5 hardware, Diablo IV, Street Fighter VI and Spiderman.

FFXVI sales are really interesting and yiu can discuss then without wanting them to fail.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Imagine if they buy all this stuff and keep losing market share.

Many Xbox fans have already started to spin this possibility into saying that both hardware and software sales don't matter anymore post-acquisitions because this is a long 10-year play for MS. Being that they want to push gaming into the cloud and on non-gaming devices.

Sanepar

Many Xbox fans have already started to spin this possibility into saying that both hardware and software sales don't matter anymore post-acquisitions because this is a long 10-year play for MS. Being that they want to push gaming into the cloud and on non-gaming devices.
It really obvious MS goal is cloud/renting only and to make this possible they need to buy all they can. That's why they won't stop on ABK.

Bry0

That's exactly what I don't like about the trophy system - the different tiers. I just like the simplicity that is essentially a high score system.
Speaking for myself I’ve always preferred the point system to the rarities. I’ve never found trophies compelling in The same way I don’t care about steam Achievements.

gimmmick

Diablo IV’s flaws will eventually be ironed out. I wonder if it has a shot of 30 million at the end of its life span (which is what Diablo III sold in its life time).

Luigi Mario

It's the most interesting game this month to discuss. You have games that clearly do well like Diablo IV and those that clearly didn't like Everybody 1 2 Switch. FFXVI is somewhere in the middle.
And by the looks of it, the US did some heavy lifting for those announced FFXVI numbers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It really obvious MS goal is cloud/renting only and to make this possible they need to buy all they can. That's why they won't stop on ABK.

Exactly. This is why this anti-competitive behavior of MS is terrible! If you can't beat them, buy out all the 3rd party partners of your competition and then ban the release of that content on your competitor's platform. It's all Microsoft has left, since they now realize their idea of gaming is the least liked one out of the big 3.

Top Bottom