• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Circana (NPD) June 2023: #1 Diablo IV, #2 Final Fantasy XVI, #3 Street Fighter V; PS5 #1 Units + Revenue

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Exactly. This is why this anti-competitive behavior of MS is terrible! If you can't beat them, buy out all the 3rd party partners of your competition and then ban the release of that content on your competitor's platform. It's all Microsoft has left, since they now realize their idea of gaming is the least liked one out of the big 3.
You guys let your biases blind you to reality far too often.
  • Nintendo Online: Does not offer purchase options for any old games. All locked to subscription only, right now.
  • PlayStation Network: Does not offer purchase options for anything on PS3, or PS2 on modern systems with the exception of a small handful but they are on sub services. 1st party games do get cycled out of subscriptions also. BC sub games gated to most expensive tier.
  • Xbox: Invested in BC for as many games as possible. Puts them on sale for cheap. Recently restarted old Call of Duty game servers while putting the games on sale for purchase with a large discount. Also none of their 1st party games leave the sub.

Luigi Mario

Phil came out and said they were addressing the shortages and would be releasing more consoles to meet demand.
So here we are. Xbox supplies have increased, yet so has demand again.
So, when do we expect them to fix these “shortages“, because the statement you are referring to was made at their Xbox showcase in early June.
Are we finally going to see triple-digit growth for Xbox hardware in Circana's report for July or not until August?

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
  • Nintendo Online: Does not offer purchase options for any old games. All locked to subscription only, right now.
  • PlayStation Network: Does not offer purchase options for anything on PS3, or PS2 on modern systems with the exception of a small handful but they are on sub services. 1st party games do get cycled out of subscriptions also. BC sub games gated to most expensive tier.
  • Xbox: Invested in BC for as many games as possible. Puts them on sale for cheap. Recently restarted old Call of Duty game servers while putting the games on sale for purchase with a large discount. Also none of their 1st party games leave the sub.
Clearly, what ever the other two are doing is considered better by more people. "Biases" or not, that's the reality of the situation.

Last edited:

I don't think that's the main driving force between PS5 and Switch sales. Numbers prove that. There's nothing wrong with liking Xbox though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I still don't get it. But maybe I don't see things the way you do.
They were discussing MS making gaming exclusive to sub services and abolishing all permanent purchases of games. It has nothing to do with how I see it. Objectively, they are doing that less than either of the other two first party platform holders. Nintendo is doing that right now with every single game on their sub and they couldn't care less.

Last edited:

demigod

Yes there was xbox shortages. See my post I made well before this all came out.

This was because MS was preferencing server blades for Xcloud over consoles.
It's pretty damm obvious.

Phil came out and said they were addressing the shortages and would be releasing more consoles to meet demand.
No they weren’t, server blades were already done in 2021. What demand are you speaking of? The demand that’s losing 2-1 in xboxes home turf after the June showcase?

They were discussing MS making gaming exclusive to sub services and abolishing all permanent purchases of games. It has nothing to do with how I see it. Objectively, they are doing that less than either of the other two first party platform holders. Nintendo is doing that right now with every single game on their sub and they couldn't care less.

I know Microsoft won't take away one time purchases. There's still a huge market for them. However I do see them steering people towards subscription services available on their platforms. Nothing wrong with that on paper. It's just that revenue is a little bit different from subs then the retail/digital market.

Mr Moose

no-consuela.gif

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

If they're still hovering around 3rd place going forward, then that means the demand is very low.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And the concerns for each layer were largely a joke, as we will see for the rest of this generation in sales threads.
I mean, ultimately thats for regulators to decide. Again, there are layers to what is/isn't anti competitive. Sales results doesnt dictate what is/isnt anti competitive.

So...what you're telling us is the Series S is the main console and the XSX was mainly intended for the servers. Cool.

No to both? Don't know about supply but demand hasn't increased.

A timeline yet again:

Jan-Mar 2022 Sony says there will be very low PS5 supply.
Still came in first for the Jan NPD, but the dry period lasted until June 2022. Now its full steam ahead, breaking sale records here n there ever since.

...after the server rollout was done.....

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/22/22546139/xbox-xcloud-series-x-hardware-games-servers-datacenters June 2021

https://www.theverge.com/2021/10/7/22714067/xbox-cloud-gaming-custom-xbox-series-x-hardware-upgrade Oct 2021

Aug or Sept 2022 MS says there will be very low Series supply.

Sony recovered in about 6 months.
We are still waiting for Series stock to get better or demand to pick up....going on a full year later this month or next month.

Why did MS announce a slow period in late 2022?

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

What we are trying to tell you is that we don't love subscriptions like MS wants us to. It's a cool\nice thing to have, but it can't BE the platform. It's a piece of the platform.

Last edited:
The sub model on PS/Xbox has a ceiling, it's a million miles away from ever becoming the main model of game revenue, in fact in some metrics it's going backwards compared to previous years.

Sony would have a lot of data on BC use on their consoles. They also know that their publishing partners want to continue to make the most amount of money on their new titles going forward but also valued a way to monetise their back catalogue.

BC, while nice for the consumer, isn’t as big a driver of platform adoption or even gameplay hours as many people would have you believe.

Microsoft’s efforts are certainly appreciated, but they’ve used it as a distraction at times to try and take the attention off their poor and inconsistent game studio output.

DenSho

Neo Member
Well, well, well. So many people are in for a very rude awakening when they realize they can't play Game of the Generation STAR FIELD on their brand new Play Stations 5. How the turn tables. It seems Phil was wrong and people will have to sell their consoles to get 11/10 StarField.

On the other hand, Microsoft should go all in and buy some more publishers. Probably that Sony one. They seem to be doing it very well, but so far everything they have done has been exclusive to Playstation. Oh, the money hats!

xiskza

And yet the thread is very positive about PS5 hardware, Diablo IV, Street Fighter VI and Spiderman.

FFXVI sales are really interesting and yiu can discuss then without wanting them to fail.

They constantly talk about PS5 being mostly scalped, how its a software failure, how FFXVI sales are a flop in Japan and how SE/Capcom should focus on Switch rather than PS, etc. Especially in the Famitsu sales threads. I can see through their bias...

Last edited:

Woopah

They constantly talk about PS5 being mostly scalped, how its a software failure, how FFXVI sales are a flop in Japan and how SE/Capcom should focus on Switch rather than PS, etc. Especially in the Famitsu sales threads. I can see through their bias...
Is the constant talk of how well PS5 is doing in the US and how poorly Xbox Series is doing because of bias too?

I think it's fair to point out those things, just like it's fair to point out Switch gets poor support from Capcom.

Last edited:

jm89

Anyone can see through their bias, it's a coalition of extreme nintendo fanboy, xbox fanboys and people who still hold sony accountable for segas console buisness failing due to their own faults.

They are even affialted with xboxera an extreme xbox fanboy forum.

N7x7NxN.png

Last edited:

Woopah

Well, ask yourself that question — in the total package, which one of those statements is not based on verifiable information?
No, that's just a fact. Speculating on scalping being the source of Japan's good PS5 sales, saying FFXVI is a flop for SE when they've come out and said they were pleased with the results, those are biases
I would say that low PS software in Japan, high PS hardware and software in the US/Europe and low XB hardware in the US are all pretty viable.

The scalping theory was a possible explanation for the PS5 software situation in prior yesrs when it was supply constrained. But right now in 2023, I think we can discount it as the primary reason for the software situation in Japan.

Tsaki

Also, for Xbox Series consoles to not be ahead of the Switch in revenue YTD makes me wonder about the actual sales ratio between Series S and X, could be higher than most people seem to think.
Yeah, either the unit count is waaay lower, or the split between them is like 80-20.

demigod

5dksSJh.jpg

Target will have the PS5 for $449 starting this coming Sunday, I reckon other retailers will follow suit.

Record numbers for August and September are expected.
Oh man, i used to have a tmnt van when i was a kid, didn’t think they would ever come out again. Definitely going to buy it.

jm89

Vgchartz are now saying xbx/s is now tracking behind xbox one. Don matrick redeemed.

Vgchartz are known for historically overtracking xbox. So would not be surprised if it fell behind earlier.

Also greenberg and his minions still follow them. Breath in breath out boys.

DmxYAH3.png

Vgchartz are now saying xbx/s is now tracking behind xbox one. Don matrick redeemed.

Vgchartz are known for historically overtracking xbox. So would not be surprised if it fell behind earlier.

DmxYAH3.png

All this with a 300$ sku that's usually on a discount with 3 months Gamepass for free.

Incredible.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

DmxYAH3.png

Will Greenberg retweet this one too?

jm89

All this with a 300$ sku that's usually on a discount with 3 months Gamepass for free.

Incredible.
Yeah it's crazy if you compare the first 3 years of xone compared to xseries, there was a huge amount more effort put in for the xseries.

Even though we should not take vgchartz numbers as accurate. The NPD leak we got for the last few months of last year was showing that was pretty much where this was headed.

Top Bottom