• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities Skylines 2 Developers: "The performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS"

Draugoth

Gold Member
CITIES-SKYLINES-2.png

In their recent AMA, the devs of Cities Skylines 2 revealed that their target FPS goal is actually 30 FPS. This is amongst recent outcry of poor performance for CS2.

Some quotes:

"...we just don't believe there would be a long term benefit in setting the target to 60fps,"

"It is worth mentioning for a game like this, the performance target is to run at steady 30FPS minimum (not 60 or more)."

Bkdk

Let's see if the user reviews in steam will even be worse than overwatch 2. It's highly possible when the game is almost unplayable for everyone. It's crazy how this is still in top 5 of sales in steam despite all the negative reviews on how badly it runs and some baffling dev choices.
This dev is about to have their name From Colossal Order ltd. To Colossal disorder Unlimited.

Last edited:

john2gr

Remember that performance target they did not meet? That was their 30fps target. GG devs for a game that even a 7950X3D or a 14900K can't run at 60fps.

PS: Oh, and before people start with the simulators being CPU-demanding. Remember Microsoft Flight Simulator? It was CPU-bound due to single-threaded issues and not due to its "complex simulations". So I suggest taking a good look at CPU core utilization in Cities Skylines 2. If the game uses only 2-3 cores/threads of a 12-core CPU, there is nothing to defend. Plain and simple.

Last edited:

Tams

Home Alone Kevin GIF

I really depends though. Simulations have an awful lot going on and you don't really need more than 30fps for them. You could probaby even get away with 20fps.

But if this is due to bad optimisation rather than pushing the computing hardware to it's limit... uh oh.

//DEVIL//

The nerve these incompetent mfers have to say such a thing istead of shutting up and admit they suck.

30 fps on PC... Please shut down the office and fire everyone and never make a game ever again.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
30FPS is totally fine for a game like this.

But that doesn't explain good hardware is struggling to run this. Just screams of unoptimisation.

Kilau

I can handle 30fps for this type of game, I have very little expectations of getting to 30fps though.

Kenpachii

Writing was on the wall with them, even there first game go run it on a modern top end CPU u aint hitting 60 fps. Now with this game that's just build ontop of that game the framerate goes even lower.

They absolutely suck at making games only explanation.

30fps is a reasonable target for a city building sim. You don't need much higher than that as it's a negligible difference. FPS games on the other hand though...

TheGejsza

I hate such a vague statement from devs. If by targeting 30 FPS they meant 30 FPS on mid range PC with full map and 500k+ citizens then that's fine for me.

But if the 30 FPS is for 50k city then ... yeah, fuck this.

Also - this is the worst performing AA/AAA game released. There is no PC setup that allows to run this in 4k. 4090 can do 1440p/60 medium with low LoD and volumetrics off which is absurd.

winjer

Gold Member
What a complete failure of a game launch, if they have to claim their target is a "smooth" 30 fps.
Instead of acting like clowns, they should just delay the game and fix the performance.

Kadve

For a city building sim, 30 FPS isn't at all crazy for a lower limit - but you also shouldn't need a top of the line PC to be struggling to get it.
The old Sierra series (Pharaoh, Ceasar, etc) even ran at 20. But those were 2D games so mattered even less.

Roxkis_ii

I've been having an itch for a modern city builder (been playing pocket city on my phone, but it don't hit the same) but man, I'm probably going to get 5 fps on my 3060 laptop. I hope they work out the proformance for us lower end gamers.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"...we just don't believe there would be a long term benefit in setting the target to 60fps,"

Why? Serious question as well.

It's 2023. How is 60fps not the minimum?
It’s a sim game. CPU is heavily used. What you need 60fps update for. Makes no sense.
You want the city to look the best

King Dazzar

You want the city to look the best
I never get this argument. Can we not appreciate both sides of the same coin? If you move and pan a camera, then that is a visual consideration too. For me it doesnt matter if its a turn based strategy or a fast paced FPS. I love smooth and fluid motion. You place greater importance on the other side of the coin, which is individual frame fidelity. Which is fine - thats why we should all have an option to cater for both preferences. Choice seems the fairest approach to me.

Top Bottom