• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities Skylines 2 Developers: "The performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS"

//DEVIL//

Eagerly waiting to see the games you guys have built.
I don't build gsmws. I don't get paid to build gsmes. And if I do and have the nerve to say that my shitty looking game that looks worse than most all over games in the market including indie games, will be targeting 30 fps on PC, I will fucking question my existence.

There is a craftsmanship for every job on this planet. Clearly, these guys don't know shit. They just threw objects sr the complier and they were like " yeah we can't run it any faster " with zero optimization

Ozriel

M$FT
I don't build gsmws. I don't get paid to build gsmes. And if I do and have the nerve to say that my shitty looking game that looks worse than most all over games in the market including indie games, will be targeting 30 fps on PC, I will fucking question my existence.

There is a craftsmanship for every job on this planet. Clearly, these guys don't know shit. They just threw objects sr the complier and they were like " yeah we can't run it any faster " with zero optimization

It’s a city building simulator. You don’t bloody need 60fps for that.

And if you’ve been gaming for any length of time, you should know that sims do a ton of under the hood work, so judging its computing requirements purely on its visuals makes no iota of sense.

They don’t owe you a game. Don’t buy, boycott or refund. Some of the vitriol towards these guys is completely unwarranted.

Imagine having a $2k graphics card and it only be good for 38fps at 1080p high.

Ha Ha Ha Lol GIF
Should have gotten the 2 grand CPU for those simulation games :p

All jokes aside them saying this is kinda rough.

Whitecrow

Banned
Literally all you have to do is taking decisions. The game doesnt need 60fps. You'll be just fine. Unless you force yourself to not be fine because you think 30fps should not be fine.

//DEVIL//

And if you’ve been gaming for any length of time, you should know that sims do a ton of under the hood work, so judging its computing requirements purely on its visuals makes no iota of sense.

They don’t owe you a game. Don’t buy, boycott or refund. Some of the vitriol towards these guys is completely unwarranted.
Lol @ I dont need 60 fps ..so sad

Lol @ under the hood work.

High end pc. Game that look like shit. Can't run 60 and aim at 30 is not under the hood garbage . Its incompetent shit devs. Period.

And sure as fuck I am not touching it or buying it for 2$ even. Not gonna support crappy devs. Let them go flip burgers or do something else since they are so shit at development.

Not everyone has the talent for this. I don't, I admit it. Why can't they ?I don't go do crappy games and have the fucking nerve to say I am aiming for 30 fps on a 4090. Like fuck off !!

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
No thanks. Would rather just play the previous game at 60-120.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never get this argument. Can we not appreciate both sides of the same coin? If you move and pan a camera, then that is a visual consideration too. For me it doesnt matter if its a turn based strategy or a fast paced FPS. I love smooth and fluid motion. You place greater importance on the other side of the coin, which is individual frame fidelity. Which is fine - thats why we should all have an option to cater for both preferences. Choice seems the fairest approach to me.
I couldn’t care less if it was 10fps. They can decouple mouse movement from fps if they are smart. It’s called hardware cursor.

I want it to be high res and beautiful. I want the city to look like a city.

King Dazzar

I couldn’t care less if it was 10fps. They can decouple mouse movement from fps if they are smart. It’s called hardware cursor.

I want it to be high res and beautiful. I want the city to look like a city.
I wish I was so tolerant. I'm so used to 60fps, I get a headache if I drop to 30fps, let alone lower. I can do 40fps if unlocked with VRR, but thats as a low as I can go. Different strokes for different folks. For me I think the dev's attitude is pretty poor. As always we both can just vote with our wallets...

diffusionx

Gold Member

what are the "under the hood" simulations that are so advanced that a modern high-end CPU cannot handle it? I read many reviews for this and I didn't see anything that talks about the world class real time simulation that requires a massive CPU to perform.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wish I was so tolerant. I'm so used to 60fps, I get a headache if I drop to 30fps, let alone lower. I can do 40fps if unlocked with VRR, but thats as a low as I can go. Different strokes for different folks. For me I think the dev's attitude is pretty poor. As always we both can just vote with our wallets...
40fps is great. But unlocked 40fps? eeeh not so much. Stable is better

Klik

I have I5 12400f + RTX 3060ti. I would be grateful if i can get 8 fps

/s

Last edited:

King Dazzar

40fps is great. But unlocked 40fps? eeeh not so much. Stable is better
Yeah I can do a locked 40 with a touch of motion blur. But with VRR if its getting 45 or above, for my specific panel, its just enough to smooth things out nicely and remove all judder. I was playing around with Hogwarts earlier, following some advice you left me a few weeks ago. And I far prefer the Balanced mode, but uncapped with VRR - I havent noticed massive framerate spikes personally.

So are you diving into this?

Last edited:

SolarFry

If it's locked 30fps, I guess it's...fine...

But it's a game where you constantly zoom in and out and scroll the screen in every direction. Low fps feel horrible when you play.

Sybrix

Lol, Steam reviews are pouring in.

Predicable, game should have been delayed by 3 months at least to allow for optimization.

Reactions: GHG

Mowcno

13fps for 1080p High on an RTX 3070. What a train wreck. RTX 4060 can't even keep 30fps on medium.

The performance issues have nothing to do with the "simulation". CPU is fine, it's the graphics rendering that's a disaster.

winjer

Gold Member
I tried the game on gamepass. 1440p, high preset. Tutorial map.
Got around 30-37 fps. Not completely unplayable, but not a good experience.
And the game doesn't even look that good to justify only running at 30 fps.
I can only imagine performance will get much worse when the city gets built and big.
Already uninstalled it.

Mowcno

I tried the game on gamepass. 1440p, high preset. Tutorial map.
Got around 30-37 fps. Not completely unplayable, but not a good experience.
And the game doesn't even look that good to justify only running at 30 fps.
I can only imagine performance will get much worse when the city gets built and big.
Already uninstalled it.
What card do you have?

Bkdk

Now at mostly negative user reviews on steam, it's insane that how many still pre ordered this pile of trash despite knowing how bad it is with all the poor reviews before release. People just can't stop pre ordering games.

GHG

considering he's on the tutorial map, It shouldn't matter that much. Especially when considering the benchmarks from earlier. This game will be humble choice soon at least.

No point in them putting it on choice unless they've fixed it first.

Will be an easy month to skip for most people.

Mowcno

For those curious on how the performance gets worse as you get a bigger city there is apparently a 100k pop save file you can download. My friend got these results.

RX6600 XT
1440p low = 25fps on empty map
1440p low = 16fps on 100k city

So yes performance does get even worse. Expect to drop about 35% lower FPS once you've gotten far into your game.

Last edited:
No point in them putting it on choice unless they've fixed it first.

Will be an easy month to skip for most people.

I'd imagine it would be more than a month for humble choice.
The latest tomb raider was like 6 months or some shit. That was the worst I've seen. It will be on choice at this rate and with PDX's latest moves. The last PDX game I bought was EU4. I have ck 2 and 3, Imperial Rome, Sterallis(on multiple launchers) and others. I'm surprised I haven't Vicky 3 yet.

Reactions: GHG

ahtlas7

4k on completely empty starter map using rtx 3080 is disaster. 10-15fps. I just shut it off.
Now at mostly negative user reviews on steam, it's insane that how many still pre ordered this pile of trash despite knowing how bad it is with all the poor reviews before release. People just can't stop pre ordering games.
Preordered cheap

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
For a city building sim, 30 FPS isn't at all crazy for a lower limit - but you also shouldn't need a top of the line PC to be struggling to get it.
Not when you have a 4090 and you barely hit 30 fps ON 1080P FFS. This is unacceptable, and the game look like ass too.

winjer

Gold Member
For those curious on how the performance gets worse as you get a bigger city there is apparently a 100k pop save file you can download. My friend got these results.

RX6600 XT
1440p low = 25fps on empty map
1440p low = 16fps on 100k city

So yes performance does get even worse. Expect to drop about 35% lower FPS once you've gotten far into your game.

What CPU was he using?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So just after an hour or so of just free playing I ramped up a city as fast as I could using unlimited resources and so far its running ok but I have a beefy PC 7900x 4090

I will say not super impressed with it yet but yeah its Cities Skylines alright

Feels more like some QOL improvements but tanking performance patch to the first one

Will likely shelf it until it gets patched a few times as ran into a few glitches already one game breaking where the solar power plant had weird massive black lines coming out of it covering a big part of the map that did not go away on restarts so had to delete the save and totally start over

StereoVsn

Personally I play strategy games quite a lot and it’s good to have more FPS for smoother panning, zooming in/out and so on.

30FPS is annoying. And also don’t forget , is it really 30FPS when your city is built up and full of buildings, transport and people? Kind of doubt.

winjer

Gold Member
The game is starting with a strong player base on Steam: 104,697 concurrent players.
But a miserable user score of 29%.

xrnzaaas

30 fps wouldn't be a problem in a game like this in my opinion. What you need to have to run this game in stable 30 fps with medium/high settings is a big problem.

Outlier

What is HAPPENING with this industry lately!?

So many broken/unfinished games!

I'm looking forward to trying this later and my 7900X + 7900XTX setup SHOULD handle this game no problem, but my GOD are devs/publishers just asking for a bad time with these poor releases.

T4keD0wN

I have just checked their official guide to optimize performance, its hilarous:
They just recomment to lower the resolution to 1080p 60hz regardless of hardware and monitor and turn on dynamic resolution to make the game look like vomit (official picture from their steam news article)
UB7BlIrgxKchHj09wNq9LPXNQG3gPbB1KhRy1gB4F6DXutBEgcHeZYszdIAvschyvYlD_HRazJRQOjxtXBLatduWS5XlGZG5Kh5dESshfXNC1a_uqKRF7jw8uWvlUiQvjaJNHgAEzapP5cA0CttKh3c

maxresdefault.jpg

One of these games is 30 years old, guess which one.
But a miserable user score of 29%.
Thats not miserable, thats overrated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom