• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities Skylines 2 Developers: "The performance target is to run at a steady 30FPS"

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
"...we just don't believe there would be a long term benefit in setting the target to 60fps,"

Why? Serious question as well.

It's 2023. How is 60fps not the minimum?
Because he doesnt want hit game to look like hot shit.
Buy a PC if you must have 60fps and stop forcing devs to dumb down literally every single aspect of their game for your weird framerate fetish.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Because he doesnt want hit game to look like hot shit.
Buy a PC if you must have 60fps and stop forcing devs to dumb down literally every single aspect of their game for your weird framerate fetish.

I really don't get this. Why would increasing the framerate make the game look like shit? How is forcing devs to dumb down?

Those are serious questions as well.

StereoVsn

30 fps wouldn't be a problem in a game like this in my opinion. What you need to have to run this game in stable 30 fps with medium/high settings is a big problem.
And not just that but also holding the framerate in large city map in late game.

Red5

The game is simulating a lot of physics-based interactions and elements; I don't think it's surprising for it to be slow with large cities.

Supreme Commander was the same back then when you had hundreds of units firing physics-based projectiles and artillery all over the map, it put even a brand-new quad core cpu to shame.

SolarFry

Why does it look so drab too? They should maybe use some colour, make it a bit more appealing to look at? Old Sim City games really do look better, aesthetically.

Last edited:

Von Hugh

There are other similar games looking better and running multiple times better, so there really are no excuses for this.

AzullAbaddon

Neo Member
Seems to run ok with some minimal settings adjustments. Just changing from fullscreen to windowed fullscreen did a ton without needing to make it look like a windows xp game. Needing to be so simply optimized isn't great but it's also not the end of the world.

Red5

There are other similar games looking better and running multiple times better, so there really are no excuses for this.

Not that I'm aware of, there are resource management sims like Tropico and Anno, but I don't think there's much competition if any in city simulation games. What's hogging most of the PC resources are the simulated elements not just graphics.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Every other industry: Ok team, let's release a product that works well for the budget. We might have to scale back on things if the product doesn't perform. Make sure to release it as good as possible or else we'll get shit loads of returns refunding money.

Gaming industry: BIGGER, LOOKS BETTER, MORE SHADERS AND RTX, HUGE HUGE HUGE WORLD. If performance sucks, who cares. Just release and patch later hoping enough early adopters bite the bullet day one.

Last edited:

GHG

The game is simulating a lot of physics-based interactions and elements; I don't think it's surprising for it to be slow with large cities.

Supreme Commander was the same back then when you had hundreds of units firing physics-based projectiles and artillery all over the map, it put even a brand-new quad core cpu to shame.

The game isn't CPU bound in most cases, the stress is on the GPU.

CPU benchmark this is not.

King Dazzar

I have just checked their official guide to optimize performance, its hilarous:
They just recomment to lower the resolution to 1080p 60hz regardless of hardware and monitor and turn on dynamic resolution to make the game look like vomit (official picture from their steam news article)
UB7BlIrgxKchHj09wNq9LPXNQG3gPbB1KhRy1gB4F6DXutBEgcHeZYszdIAvschyvYlD_HRazJRQOjxtXBLatduWS5XlGZG5Kh5dESshfXNC1a_uqKRF7jw8uWvlUiQvjaJNHgAEzapP5cA0CttKh3c

maxresdefault.jpg

One of these games is 30 years old, guess which one.

Thats not miserable, thats overrated.
I prefer the look of the bottom pic if that answers your question. lol

StereoVsn

I think max I am going to pay for this game $1/1fps of performance I am going to get with my 3080ti at 4K DLSS Quality (will allow balanced).

And no, this game’s performance isn’t suffering due to complex AI computation or physics or whatever considering the major issue seems resolution.

The biggest problem is incompetence coupled with Publisher’s greed and unwillingness to delay a few months.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Already at 26 FPS with a 4090 and I just started my city...
You can see my framerate top right corner

image.png

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Also the flickering in this game is horrendous, especially on trees. The AA is very bad too, no matter what solution you try.
I can't believe they released it in this state. The game needed at least 6 more months to be polished.

Mowcno

The game is simulating a lot of physics-based interactions and elements; I don't think it's surprising for it to be slow with large cities..
It's slow with no city.

The problem is GPU performance, nothing to do with the city/economy/pedestrian/traffic simulations.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Mowcno

Reading some of the positive reviews on steam is hilarious.

"I got early access and put in over 150 hours.....in vanilla. If this game was bad I would not have this much time put in such a short amount of time. I've not had this much fun playing a city builder since SC4. The frame rates are better than CS1."

Claiming better performance than the original game. It's pretty unbelievable what some fans of the series are spouting to try and excuse it.

ThisIsMyDog

What's it even rendering in that image to justify that framerate?

Utter joke.
THIS. There is nothing, what the fuck happened to this game? The people responsible for optimizing the engine should lose their jobs after something like this.

BWJinxing

I can forgo 60 fps for this game.im playing at 5120x1440p on the OG 3080.

Turning off motion blur and DOF is said to help the most.

However, given the camera tools and keyframe stuff your supposed to be capable of doing, they kinda need that for people who plan to shoot video

ahtlas7

Finally got the game running decently in 4k and I’m having fun with it but certainly is rough around the edges though.

Top Bottom