• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 50 European style buildings
Wall-to-wall buildings enabling players to build those European streets and neighbourhoods
Three new starter maps
Tunnels, one of the community’s most requested features
A number of Asset Editor additions including the ability to import custom vehicles
A multitude of smaller cosmetic additions and bug fixes.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

The European style buildings are a map theme, meaning you will need to play a map in the European biome in order to see them.
Many mods and (some) custom assets will not work with 1.1.0 and will need updating by their author. We have worked hard to cause as few conflicts as possible with popular mods, yet this is a substantial update and with the code & functionality changes some issues have been impossible to avoid. Going forward we aim to find a solution where we can work with our core modders pre-launch to give them ample time to adjust their creations before the public have access.

Aaaaand, this is stupid as fucking hell.
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Hoping already for a mod to let the buildings appear in other types of map.
Its like if they are oblivious that european cities have also beaches and palm trees. Spain exists inside europe!

Ugh, Im pretty mad. I found I just lost 30 hours tweaking a tropical map (because I needed palm trees and besides color there were no other differences), I know I find I cant use european buildings in my european beach map. Fuck that shit. All those roads, intersections, etc, perfect terrafoming, directly to the garbage. Thanks a bunch.
Really, noboy thought this was a freaking horrible idea? Didnt they think of implementing a zoning type to change buildings and have everything inside a city instead before doing this drastic change?

DBT85

I don't doubt it.

Traffic++ and Enhanced zoom are causing huge menu lag so you're advised to unsub until its fixed.

The models in the set look very North European to be fair

My city has those exact same buildings in it and is east Spain, beaches and palm tress everywhere (my avatar has one of those buildings).
plaza-del-ayuntamiento-de-valencia-2031.jpg

Also Ive heard the majority of people think that map type was already horrible to begin with, maybe they thought that would amke more people play that shitty type map.
It was a stupid design decission, and would have been better if it were made a zoning type instead.
BTW It was already stupid confining some flora in a type of map, is even more stupid doing it with buildings.

Mod to fix it in 10...9...8...

The problem I see with this is that I think it was already proved you couldnt mod other zone types (so create new zonings), yes you can import probably the buildings, but the wall to wall effect will probably be lost.

Its also really stupid, because the majority of famous european cities, apart of having wall to wall "european" type buildings in the town center, also have the apartment style buildings of the other map styles when its not center town. Now, it seems to be impossible to mix them.

It frustrates me greatly, because as a game designer, it was very obvious to see how could have been done well, and the only thing I can think of them now is that they were oblivious that they were doing it the wrong way (I really hope is this one), or even worse, they knew it, and instead opted for the lazy way because programming those buildings to just one type of map was easier than making code for new zoning types.
They have been doing great all this months since release, and I really hope they reconsider this for a future patch. For me this is a huge design flaw and its a pitty to see it in one of their big patches.

Crispy75

So far I've only seen the "underpass" type, where the tunnel mouth dips into the flat earth. Has anyone tested that "hillside" type yet?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Weird, it feels like this thread mostly died over the past month or so. Wonder if people were like me: really enthusiastic about the game at first, built out a city or two, then found the end-game wasn't as interesting? I could really go for some more objectives-based play like Cities in Motion had (i.e. have X profitable streetcar lines, build a suburban paradise, etc.).

For me, when i discovered that things getting from point A to point B wasn't ACTUALLY needed, i kind of bailed.
It made the whole game kind of meaningless.

Also, why are they refusing to use my goddamn trains!

The1Ski

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

Aaaaand, this is stupid as fucking hell.
WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY.
Hoping already for a mod to let the buildings appear in other types of map.
Its like if they are oblivious that european cities have also beaches and palm trees. Spain exists inside europe!

Ugh, Im pretty mad. I found I just lost 30 hours tweaking a tropical map (because I needed palm trees and besides color there were no other differences), I know I find I cant use european buildings in my european beach map. Fuck that shit. All those roads, intersections, etc, perfect terrafoming, directly to the garbage. Thanks a bunch.
Really, noboy thought this was a freaking horrible idea? Didnt they think of implementing a zoning type to change buildings and have everything inside a city instead before doing this drastic change?

I'm sure it will be modded.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Hopefully. It seems like a silly limitation. Do the three different "biomes" even do anything differently except affect tree types? I always go with whatever the middle biome is called because it looks the brightest. But I want the connected buildings. And not just for houses and apartments. There should be a checkbox when starting the city to allow for them in non-European biomes.

Any word on a patch to restrict Service vehicles coverage? or are fire trucks always going to respond to a fire on the other side of the map while ignoring the burning building next door?
I suppose it's like that as a traffic check for freeways but I like the idea of self reliant towns, where a local Crematorium only responds to local calls.

As I said:
The problem I see with this is that I think it was already proved you couldnt mod other zone types (so create new zonings), yes you can import probably the buildings, but the wall to wall effect will probably be lost.

If modders can do it. REJOICE! But I think this is one of those hardcode things that only the dev can change easily.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
As I said:

If modders can do it. REJOICE! But I think this is one of those hardcode things that only the dev can change easily.
I don't think modding the game so the buildings work in other biomes would be as hard as you say. It's literally just a single flag in the map type and an if then else check when choosing buildings. All they have to do is mod it so that if check allows a return true for all three biome types instead of just the European one.

I expect it to be done by tomorrow. If not tonight. If not within the next hour.

I don't think modding the game so the buildings work in other biomes would be as hard as you say. It's literally just a single flag in the map type and an if then else check when choosing buildings. All they have to do is mod it so that if check allows a return true for all three biome types instead of just the European one.

I expect it to be done by tomorrow. If not tonight. If not within the next hour.

Hope you are right, that would certainly be fantastic.
Could they put the other biones flora into any biome at the end, or is still restricted?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Tunnels are going to make utilities so much happier if done right. I've been imagining having my incinerators and crematoriums in remote locations with tunnels leading directly into the center of all my neighborhoods, completely bypassing normal traffic. I forgot to check but is there a speed limit in tunnels? Or does it use the limit set by the road type?

Can offramps be tunneled? (Since they're the fastest aside from highways.)

And can you use tunnels in the map editor? (And is there a mod to allow you to use any road type in the map editor? It's silly that you can only use highways and onramps.)

Time to do some more planning and start a new city.

spiritfox

So this is possible. I just loaded up the building in the asset editor while in European mode and saved it as a new building. I think you can do it for the landmarks too, but I can't find the tennis park so that's out of the picture.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I tried out a European map and I changed my mind. I don't like the European buildings at all. Not at all. There's just something off about them. They look pretty ugly when mixed with the other styles of the non-European buildings. I appreciate the alternate utility and service building types but I just don't think I like them.

I dunno. I think I'll stick to my default map type. Temperate I believe.

Also, it doesn't seem to be easy to put tunnels under waterways. There seems to be a maximum depth. What's the point of them if I can't build a Holland Tunnel analog? Also, it seems to be really hard to erase tunnels when there are other things on the surface in the way. I tried deleting a tunnel under my residential area and even though I was viewing the underground, the cursor kept selecting a house even though I was currently in Road mode.

Is/Are there any mods to make plopping an intersection on existing roads easier? I hate destroying road to fit a plopable intersection in-between, and then connecting them back to the road. A snap-overwrite feature would make this a hell of a lot easier, and save money.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Put in the most amount of time since I started playing tonight.

Everything was going alright, except for that I had huge traffic problems on my highway turn offs. Having them only be one lane seems to cause a jam.

Oh well, lots of fun! May start a new city

Im anxious for their next update, and hoping they make the micromanagement more difficult/involved

I basically want more mayor duties, and short-term/longterm things to manage, as the city building is pretty good as it is.

Ranger X

Sometimes I don't understand this game.
You do everything logically and then all of a fucking sudden everything goes haywire without possible explanations.

Here's the situation:

- Water is good and enough
- Sewage is good and enough
- Hospitals are good and enough
- Crematoriums are good and enough
- Garbage is good and enough

YET, my city is suddendly sick by thousands. Its a fucking city of hospitals. This looks wierd and unrealistic. Also unexplainable why they all sick. I am tired of this shit.

Hospitalsmall_zpsukyfyonf.png

I think there's an element of deliberate randomness somewhere in there, where things will suddenly just *happen.* A bit like SimCity's disasters. But unlike those, these aren't announced, so it just looks like noise.

Ranger X

I think there's an element of deliberate randomness somewhere in there, where things will suddenly just *happen.* A bit like SimCity's disasters. But unlike those, these aren't announced, so it just looks like noise.

That's a possibility. Its just too strong as a random happening though. If at least the game was setting a premice, something cool. If we had access to TV bulletins for instance and that some tourists would have bring an epidemic of some virus in my town, you know, setting the mood. And then you focus on "bringing back your city to normal". Right now it just feels like the game crapping on you even if you play it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom