• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cities: Skylines |OT| Not Related to Cities XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked this up in the Steam sale. I have the mods thread saved and it looks like there are a lot of cool additions/changes. All of the comments have stuff like "breaks game" or "doesn't work with". Anyone that uses mods have issues? Certain ones you stay away from, certains ones that are really great and worth possible issues?

I've been watching Sips on YouTube play this for a while and it looks like calm, relaxing fun. What I didn't expect was for my wife to get an interest in it too so it's wonderful that it's still on sale on Steam. About to jump into it.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I've been watching Sips on YouTube play this for a while and it looks like calm, relaxing fun. What I didn't expect was for my wife to get an interest in it too so it's wonderful that it's still on sale on Steam. About to jump into it.

It is calm, relaxing fun. It's also addicting as all hell, and IMHO the best city building game of all time. And it's only going to get better as they patch and expand it.

Say goodbye to your free time, LOL.

I'm a few years into my city have like 8,000 people. Industry keeps saying they need more educated people. I have 3 elementry schools, 3 high and one unviersity. I over budget and I still need more educated workers. I've had a lot of abandoned industry. What gives?

McNum

Hm, got this game on the Steam sale, and I have no idea what I'm doing.

It says I can upgrade roads by drawing over them. That doesn't work. It says I can press "Alternate Mouse button" to reverse one-way streets. What's that button? It's not left, right or middle. Also, pressing Escape to cancel a build also cancels the tutorial messages. That is not helpful.

Still, game seems interesting, but the controls for it bug me a bit. And I feel like I don't have the tools I want when I create e new city. Do you have to unlock everything every time?

Had to take a break. Did some google searching and couldn't find anything on workers really. A lot of the same. I've tried to add more transportation, more schools all over, over populate, etc.

Any tips?

t-ramp

I'm a few years into my city have like 8,000 people. Industry keeps saying they need more educated people. I have 3 elementry schools, 3 high and one unviersity. I over budget and I still need more educated workers. I've had a lot of abandoned industry. What gives?
Had to take a break. Did some google searching and couldn't find anything on workers really. A lot of the same. I've tried to add more transportation, more schools all over, over populate, etc.

Any tips?
I don't know what the solution is, but building offices instead of industry works for a while. Then, at some point your commercial buildings will complain about "no goods to sell", and you'll have to figure something else out. You're definitely not the first to complain about the way the game handles this stuff.

DSN2K

mod that allows the mixture of European/US cities is pretty sweet,, and it kind of works as well.

OKyb.png

Ranger X

For education I suggest you have a good public transportation since they will use it to go to school. Overbuilding school or over funding them leads nowhere. The main problem probably is that you don't have enough residential. Don't trust the RCI indicator, in many circumstances its wonky. Try to have as much residential as all the other king of terrain put together. And this even if your RCI is saying there's no demand for residential.

This is still my first city, go easy on me, I didn't think I would take it this far but I want to see how far it can go. I'm making good money now I think with it, just angry that I can't get people working.

This is my redone subway line. I have 3 seperate lines that have stops right next to each other.

Area that needs workers 1.

Area that needs workers 2.

Any thoughts :|?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate that I can't play the new maps without using the European style. I really don't like how the European buildings look. Is there any way to play the three new maps as non-European? Maybe someone extracted the map and reuploaded it?

Unicorn

I started playing this recently and I have been enjoying it. I am not usually into these sim type games, but Tropico was a nice primer for me.

So, I see as my population grows I unlock new abilities and options. With the miniature/diorama visuals I really want to make a train town. When I unlock things do they stay unlocked for when I build a new city? If not, I guess there are mods to solve this. I do want to earn them in the first place before plopping into a new game with everything unlocked.

I'm watching the NerdCubed videos currently, but it seems like such a min/max playthrough that it discourages me from just building my sloppy cities.

spiritfox

I hate that I can't play the new maps without using the European style. I really don't like how the European buildings look. Is there any way to play the three new maps as non-European? Maybe someone extracted the map and reuploaded it?

There's a mod for that.

Search for the European Buildings Unlocker in the Workshop. It works the other way round too, and you can disable all European buildings. Just uncheck "Load native vanilla growables" in the mod options.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
There's a mod for that.

Search for the European Buildings Unlocker in the Workshop. It works the other way round too, and you can disable all European buildings. Just uncheck "Load native vanilla growables" in the mod options.
Nice. That should have been default. Why limit a map to a certain style? Let that be a checkbox or listbox like the Left-hand Drive option.

Anyway, do underground train tracks cause noise pollution? Elevated rails look nicer, and tunnels are harder to erase once placed. So I don't know which one I want to use right now.

mod that allows the mixture of European/US cities is pretty sweet,, and it kind of works as well.

This looks exactly what I wanted. But what do you mean it kind of works?
Also what the link to the mod?

Nice. That should have been default. Why limit a map to a certain style? Let that be a checkbox or listbox like the Left-hand Drive option.

Anyway, do underground train tracks cause noise pollution? Elevated rails look nicer, and tunnels are harder to erase once placed. So I don't know which one I want to use right now.

Some baffling decissions after the game was released. Style would have been perfect as a tickbox under neighbourhoods. You paint a neighbourhood and just like the industries, decide if you want european, american or even any other style mods can bring to the table.

I mean the look, small european style buildings meld well with the odd tall building.

Well of course it was going to work, thats how real european cities look here. We have a great amount of tall buildings despending of the neighborhood. And also lots of normal community flats like what you can see in the "american" maps of Cities Skylines.
What Colossal Order did of separating them was a big mistake, even if the game is great.

Coolluck

This is still my first city, go easy on me, I didn't think I would take it this far but I want to see how far it can go. I'm making good money now I think with it, just angry that I can't get people working.

Any thoughts :|?

On my first city too so my input is limited. There's no demand for that industry so it's possible you overzoned the last time around and too much industry was built. There's some demand for houses so try zoning more nearby.

vityaz

Some interesting mods coming out:

Somebody working on overpasses and sunken overpasses etc, looks glorious:

Source: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-or-the-mystery-of-the-disappearance.858222/

Also some other guy making sunken highway walls!

And newly released Building Themes per district:
This mod makes possible to apply building themes to a district or the whole city. Only buildings which are contained in one of the selected themes will grow in a district.

What this mod does:
Adds 'Themes' tab to districts policies panel
Filters buildings in districts by districts' active themes.
Provides two built-in themes, 'European' and 'International'
Stores building themes in an XML file ({Steam folder}\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\BuildingThemes.xml)
Allows adding custom themes and extending built-in themes via the XML configuration file (Later this will be possible with UI - see 'Upcoming features' section)
Saves district data in XML files for each saved game (buildingThemesSave_{ID}.xml). They can be found in {Steam folder}\steamapps\common\Cities_Skylines\Cities_Data. Cloud saves supported too. To clear themes assignment just delete those files.

Use 'Themes' tab to enable or disable district's themes. You can specify any number of active themes. If no theme is active for district it will mean that any growable is allowed.

Biome's native theme will be active by default ('European' theme for 'European' biome, 'International' theme for 'Boreal', 'Temperate' or 'Tropical' biome).

Themes specified city-wide will be applied to each new district you add automatically.

If you redraw district's borders the buildings not belonging to district's theme won't disappear. When it's time for them to upgrade they will level up to a building that is allowed in the district.

What this mod doesn't do:
It won't corrupt your save games if you disable it
It doesn't unlock European growables for non-European biomes or vice versa. Use European Buildings Unlocker for that.

Upcoming features:
Building Themes Manager UI: Allows you to create your own themes (supporting vanilla and custom assets)

This mod should be 100% compatible with all other mods. If it's not just tell us.
Recommended mods to use together with this one:

European Buildings Unlocker (+vice versa)
Control Building Level Up
Source code: https://github.com/boformer/BuildingThemes

Some interesting mods coming out:

Somebody working on overpasses and sunken overpasses etc, looks glorious:

Source: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...t-or-the-mystery-of-the-disappearance.858222/

Also some other guy making sunken highway walls!

And newly released Building Themes per district:

This post is the best thing to come out of the game in forever.
Thank god for this modders.
NOW we can make real cities!

This is what is going to make me never quit playing this game. Now I can conitnue with the map of my city and make it work.
I dont understand why was it that hard for the devs to crete this distric policy instead of the stupid biomes.

On my first city too so my input is limited. There's no demand for that industry so it's possible you overzoned the last time around and too much industry was built. There's some demand for houses so try zoning more nearby.

The situation is much better now as the city has gotten larger so that's quite possible that I over estimated the amount of industry I needed.

edit: Those mods above look great.

vityaz

I dont understand why was it that hard for the devs to crete this distric policy instead of the stupid biomes.

I think they have said that mixing all the styles in one map will make the game much more resource heavy, which would mess with the minimum requirements. Either way, I'm happy it's moddable.

Ostinatto

Is the game harder now?

ive started a new city, and i'm around 10k but i cant get income over 1k, what is going on?

my first city got around 90k, and i was doing over 5k of income all the time :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's the name of the "tree brush" mod? I tried searching for it on the Workshop but can't find it. I am so tired of placing trees manually.

Edit: Hmm, found it, and I have it installed... but I don't have it in the game. How do I use this? It doesn't show up as a UI element at all in game.

Also, do airports deal with cargo? Or just tourists and humans? I want to know if I would benefit from having a cargo train station next to mine or just a passenger train station.

vityaz

What's the name of the "tree brush" mod? I tried searching for it on the Workshop but can't find it. I am so tired of placing trees manually.

Edit: Hmm, found it, and I have it installed... but I don't have it in the game. How do I use this?

Make sure it's enabled in mods, then in game you need to have tree tool selected, and press the - and + buttons (only numpad ones worked for me personally), and it will increase/decrease the brush size.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Make sure it's enabled in mods, then in game you need to have tree tool selected, and press the - and + buttons (only numpad ones worked for me personally), and it will increase/decrease the brush size.
I don't have a numpad. I'm on a Mac. Who the heck uses number pads in 2015? lol

Anyway, let's see. According to the page on the Workshop I can change it. Let's see if I can figure it out. I really want to put more trees in. Edit: Yay! Changed it to Minus and Equals. Works great now!

Airports don't deal with cargo right now unfortunately. They're only useful for tourists.
Okay good. I didn't think it did. I had set up a cargo station next to it but had a feeling it was useless. I deleted it now. But my passenger station works great with my intercity connected train lines. I love managing the transportation modes in this game. And how people and cargo will use as many methods as needed even if it's walk to bus to another bus to train to subway to get a gallon of milk.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So today I learned the harsh reality that my decision to only use Offices once available and get rid of all Industrial zones was misguided. Apparently it only works well until you get a big city. Then you die because your Commercial has no goods because the outside world can't import them fast enough.

So I pretty much killed my city because I've only been building Offices. So I dezoned some and zoned Industrial and since the demand doesn't automatically come back when you dezone something (It really really should if you ask me. If I dezone a whole chunk of a specific zone, it should want me to build it again and should ask for it again.) so it's taking its sweet ass time building anything in the new Industrial zones.

So my question to you is, what is a good balance of Residential to Commercial to Industrial to Offices I should aim for? When my city wants Industrial, should I just build factories? How many offices is too much? I really don't want to hit this problem again.

Markster

Holy crap thank you Steam Sale!

I've been waiting years for a true followup to SimCity 4, and after putting in about 10 hours into a no-mods European map, I'm phenomenally impressed by this game.

For many years now, I've been watching the sim-city genre eagerly. Nothing ever seemed to be quite what I wanted in a game, so I never took the plunge. The Tropico series had all this tropical dictator set dressing that did not interest me, Cities In Motion seemed more like a model railway, and reviews of Cities XL claimed that the simulation was rather shallow. Of course SimCity was a complete disaster, and I stayed well away.
RIP Maxis

A year or two ago I finally gave in and installed all those SimCity4 mods people talk about, and while it was nice for the game to get freshened up, it was rather clunky integration, making the fun new stuff laborious.

Finally, when seeing Cities: Skylines on sale, I checked it out, and what was this?! It looked good?! It had actual simulation?? Curved roads! The trailer video was enough to sell me on the $20.

I am amazed that this has lived up to my hopes and dreams for a Sim City 5. It's quite awesome, and now I need to spend another 40 hours in this game.

Although what the heck is with my sims wanting to take a surface bus when there is a parallel subway right next to them?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Although what the heck is with my sims wanting to take a surface bus when there is a parallel subway right next to them?
They calculate the route based on no traffic. The bus might be faster given a clear no stops route. I don't know if they calculate bus stop wait time as well.

How long are both routes? And does the subway end near their destination? Which transport system will get them there faster?

I wonder if it's feasible to just use subways and dump busses all together. I keep busses because they look neat. But subways can be so much more flexible and it tempts me to just delete my bus station completely and see what happens.

I also make use of trains and have a "Rural train station" mod installed to add smaller stations within the city. Then I have it go around a loop around the city. Really nice.

But people still use busses a lot more.

So after a 3 month hiatus I dove back into this game and spent 25 hours over the last 5 days to make a city.

Currently I'm at 55k population, I have nearly no traffic problems (except in my stinktown industrial area, but there's no fixing that and I don't care cause nobody lives there), 9 million dollars in the bank, and no real problems left to solve. I've fixed noise pollution, I have wonderful metros servicing anyone who wants to go too far to walk, most of the city is walking due to using pedestrianized streets everywhere except commercial strips, and my only highway (to allow service from the industrial / forestry area to commercial strips) is buried underground and operating perfectly.

I kind of want to expand but I know it will just make things worse. My industrial area / harbour / cargo train station will just be further from the commercial areas they try to deliver to, my metros will become more strained with little ways left to solve the congestion (transit tools in this game really suck), and I'm getting very tired of seeing cars spawn out of nowhere (I've seriously seen people walking out of metros, turning into cars, driving through midair to get to a non-pedestrian street) when there's no sensible reason for them to exist.

Is there anything else I should be doing? I might just stop, I've never had a city this successful and kinda don't want to ruin it.

Figured I'd also post a picture of the spaghetti around my underground highway:

Some of this is also metro + buried cargo rail. It took a while to make this, but it was worth it to have a bunch of new space at the water to build a new community. Sucks that people hate the noise of the ships; I had to make most of the new area office/commercial mix with residential further back.

Wish I could have made the car sewer look nicer though.

Can someone that has been using the Anarchy Roads tool help me with this.

I cant seem to make it work for what i want to do, if I undersatdn correctly, with this thing you can make road super near each other (and they dont freaking snap) but I can seem to make it work.
I cant (although I dont need) to make roads super coaster high with this either.

But it seems to be working because if I try to build a bridge and activate it with "L" the roads plummets into the river.

What am i doing wrong? I cant seem to find any info, or tutorial to use i as I want.

This one in the mod page makes it really close:

EDIT
Seems to work with all the roads except the single ones that need to have distance. Larger roads can overlap perfectly. Still can make stupid coaster slopes, but thats something I dont need now.

Figured I'd also post a picture of the spaghetti around my underground highway:

Some of this is also metro + buried cargo rail. It took a while to make this, but it was worth it to have a bunch of new space at the water to build a new community. Sucks that people hate the noise of the ships; I had to make most of the new area office/commercial mix with residential further back.

Wish I could have made the car sewer look nicer though.

Holy shit. How do you have so much money.

Holy shit. How do you have so much money.

I don't know exactly. At one point I was raking in 50k per week but I didn't really have anything to spend it on. That's gone down in that screenshot mostly because I had to ratchet up garbage/health funding after the game stopped sending out garbage trucks/hearses and it took me a while to notice.

Ranger X

Speaking of one way roads, it would be nice in a next update to be able to actually change oneway direction anytime like in one click or something.

Imagine having the upgrade tool selected, then the same time of one way you want to change the direction of and then you click on the road = the direction changes for the opposite.

I truly wonder why its not in the game already.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Speaking of one way roads, it would be nice in a next update to be able to actually change oneway direction anytime like in one click or something.

Imagine having the upgrade tool selected, then the same time of one way you want to change the direction of and then you click on the road = the direction changes for the opposite.

I truly wonder why its not in the game already.
It is. It has been since the first patch. And before that there was a mod. Right click while upgrading.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
To be fair it doesn't give you all that much of a visual cue that you can do it. There's no tooltip I don't believe. So you might not even know about it. Case in point.

I wish there was an alternative version that had all the roads in the center and no median. Not a replacement, but an alternate version with a one-way version as well. Maybe it'd be 3 tiles wide instead or something.

Thats what I dont understand.
People have already made more roads (the other roads thing I found) and even new sidewalks that can have public transport.

But nobody has made medium roads that go only one way. Because the game jumps from 2 to 6 in one way, and its stupid when the majority of cities have 4 as the most common one for one way avenues.

So why isnt there, this is the game of you ask for a mod and there it is...
Its impossible to make them or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom