• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Money: "Hollywood Slump Could Hit Videogames"

Mooreberg

http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/27/commentary/game_over/column_gaming

Will Hollywood's slump hit video games?
Tinseltown's malaise may seep into the game industry if publishers aren't careful.
June 27, 2005: 3:03 PM EDT
Game Over is a weekly column by Chris Morris

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) – The video game industry loves to compare itself to Hollywood.

Publicists regularly liken graphics in new games to "Shrek" or any of the Pixar (Research) films. Some titles tout the voice work of A-list actors more than the gameplay itself. And publishers squeal in glee when a studio picks up the rights to one of their franchises.

But as the gaming industry strives so hard to emulate Hollywood's success, it's in danger of falling into the same mudhole the movie folks are mired in these days.

You've no doubt heard about this year's box office slump, the worst in 20 years. Some blame the films. Others blame ticket prices. Everyone seems to agree DVD sales are cutting into things. Obviously, there are some differences, but the same problems are starting to creep into games. And the resulting revenue slump could be the same – or worse.

Let's break it down a bit.

First off, though it might shock the suits in the executive suites, audiences don't like seeing the same thing again and again. It's true for the cinematic remakes of "The Honeymooners" and "Herbie: Fully Loaded" and it's becoming true of the innumerable "Grand Theft Auto" clones. (About the only thing outnumbering those at this year's E3 trade show was the avalanche of World War II titles.)

Copying successful formulas isn't a new thing, of course. Two years ago, you couldn't swing a dead joystick without hitting a few "Lord of the Rings" games.

Sure many of these cloned games and cloned films rack up reasonably strong numbers, but there's a difference between seeing or buying something because you're eager to watch/play and because there's nothing else available.

Both industries seem to have forgotten that innovation and fresh ideas are what captured audiences in the first place. Remakes and clones might put some change in your coffers in the short term, but you lose respect and credibility from your customers each time you do so. The film and gaming industries are supposed to be fonts of creativity, but lately both seem afraid to risk trying something new. It happens occasionally, but not as much as it should.

The matter of ticket and game prices is a bit trickier. While it's an unpopular truth, the economic reality is that prices do need to go up from time to time.

So while cutting prices isn't an option, game makers can avoid alienating their audience in a couple of ways. Digital distribution is in a nascent stage right now, but has shown potential. Valve Software, a trailblazer in the field, won't reveal how many copies of "Half-Life 2" it sold via its proprietary content delivery system Steam, but has said the profit margins on those were substantially higher than retail store sales.

There is, of course, no way the gaming industry will survive on digital sales alone. But by offering it as a lower cost alternative, publishers and developers can maintain the profit levels they need to keep investors (and employees) happy and give customers the opportunity to feel like they're getting a bargain.

Episodic gaming is another opportunity to foster innovation and keep prices down. Like the movie serials of the 30s and 40s, a game that updates every week or every month can keep players coming back. And since the experience will be a shorter one, it should be cheaper as well. Microsoft has already vowed to offer episodic content as part of Xbox 360. Let's hope they follow-through – and lead by example.

The advent of home theater and DVD sales are certainly part of the reason people are avoiding the theater, but it goes a bit deeper than not having to leave your living room. Today's moviegoers, not to put too fine a point on it, are jerks. They kick seats. They constantly chatter amongst themselves, oblivious to others sitting around them. And they are seemingly incapable of pressing the 'off' button on their cell phones and pagers.

Why, dear God, would you want to pay to spend time around these morons?

So what's the gaming parallel? Online.

Online gaming can be a terrific experience and add a new dimension to a title. Too often, though, you find yourself surrounded by obnoxious folks who feel the anonymity of the Internet gives them license to act the fool. There's no quicker way to lose interest in a game than hearing a 15-year old scream his favorite obscenities for no real reason.

Screeners do exist to block "griefers," as they're called, but they really don't do a sufficient job. Microsoft (Research), to its credit, certainly seems to be trying to raise the bar with its next generation of Xbox Live.

Until you're able to avoid these twerps altogether, though, you risk recreating the frustration you experience in the theater – only this time you won't be able to dump a bucket of greasy popcorn on their heads.

There's still time for the game industry to avoid a slump. With the next generation coming, it's hardly imminent. (So far this year, in fact, software sales are up an impressive 25 percent, according to the NPD Group.) But executives at publishing companies need to look ahead and realize that when it comes to keeping fans happy, Hollywood's system might not be the best one to emulate.

I agree with the part about people not shutting up in movie theaters, but the comparison between that and online gaming is way off.

Ark-AMN

Banned
I really wish Valve would reveal how much they made via steam, but I guess they don't want to give anyone ideas.

Mooreberg said:
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/27/commentary/game_over/column_gaming

I agree with the part about people not shutting up in movie theaters, but the comparison between that and online gaming is way off.

I think the online game comparison is dead on. I mean I love online play... with FRIENDS.

We get together about once a month on Xbox Live, and just play marathon sessions of whatever games we like. This month we got some good Burnout 3 racing in there. After almost everyone called it a night, a couple of us remaining tried to hop into a few random Burnout 3 games with people we didn't know. It was a disaster. Swearing, racism, bigotry, and just pure idiocy; basically everything people complain is wrong with online games happened in every one of the games we tried.

Honestly, if I didn't have a list of 10-12 GOOD people to play with, Xbox Live (or any online, for that matter) would be a total waste of time for me.

SKluck

Banned
That's complete bullshit.

People need to play videogames with the intent of HAVING FUN and not just winning. That is where all this bullshit from whiners comes from, if one or two jackasses ruins your entire game, you deserve it.

Du2andal

Banned
I really hate articles like this. I mean, lets just forget the past and act as if every trend starts this year. If the videogame industry were to start slumping tomorrow due to lack of ideas or retreads then they would be emulating hollywood? Umm no. Videogames have already been there, it was called the freaking atari. Developers without new ideas ripping each other off.

"Okay Bob, we need a new game this month."
"Okay Okay i got it. We take last months missle game and change it to hamburgers. That way you can launch lettuce at your enemies."
"SHIP IT!"

The box office may be sucking but i dont think you can attribute that to the current trend of remakes. I mean Bewitched and Herbie both beat out the masterpiece that is LOTD this weekend. What you can attribute the slump to is people and how much ass they suck. I wanted to stab the lady sitting in front of me in the throat this weekend. With only a few exceptions I just wait for DVDs to come out. I am tired of bitching about the "box office slump" from studios who are making way more movie from movies these days due to DVDs.

DrLazy

Wyzdom said:
This article is nice and i pretty much agree with everything in it. But Episodic gaming - please God no!!

I think it might be neat to buy the latest episode of Resident Evil for instance. It'd be neat.

Gek54

Oracle Dragon said:
It was a disaster. Swearing, racism, bigotry, and just pure idiocy; basically everything people complain is wrong with online games happened in every one of the games we tried.

Forza and RSC2 have been the only games I have played online with random people and I never had any of these problems in RSC and in the 400+ races I have done in Forza I can only remember 3 or 4 instances people talking shit.

Oneself

Every game I've played online with "strangers" ended with insults. Most of the time it's for no intelligent reasons. When they know you're from Québec, even if you loose against them, most english canadians call you "fucking frenchies" and US residents call you "Canadian fags". We're playing games , aren't we supposed to have fun?

Gek54

Oneself said:
Every game I've played online with "strangers" ended with insults. Most of the time it's for no intelligent reasons. When they know you're from Québec, even if you loose against them, most english canadians call you "fucking frenchies" and US residents call you "Canadian fags". We're playing games , aren't we supposed to have fun?

:lol
<-guilty

SKluck said:
That's complete bullshit.

People need to play videogames with the intent of HAVING FUN and not just winning. That is where all this bullshit from whiners comes from, if one or two jackasses ruins your entire game, you deserve it.

You can't be serious. I couldn't care less about winning. I don't even play enough to be any good. I ROUTINLY get DESTROYED by groups of 10 year olds in Halo 2. It doesn’t bother me at all, I play only for fun. Hell, I have had Halo 2 since launch, and even before the reset I never broke 10 on any of my rankings... and it wasn't from lack of playing ;)

I don't even know what my ranking IS in other games, let alone care about it so much that my only reason for playing is winning.

So I don't know where you get this idea that when I run into racists, bigots, team killing idiots, or anything else in that vein, that I "deserve" it.

Online gaming sucks because it consists mainly of cheating morons and people who can't handle losing, so they have to disconnect. My experiences with it online have been nothing but bad so I don't even bother with it anymore.

Besides, playing with friends in the room >>>>>>>> x infinity >>>>>>>>> online

jman2050

Du2andal said:
I really hate articles like this. I mean, lets just forget the past and act as if every trend starts this year. If the videogame industry were to start slumping tomorrow due to lack of ideas or retreads then they would be emulating hollywood? Umm no. Videogames have already been there, it was called the freaking atari. Developers without new ideas ripping each other off.

"Okay Bob, we need a new game this month."
"Okay Okay i got it. We take last months missle game and change it to hamburgers. That way you can launch lettuce at your enemies."
"SHIP IT!"

The box office may be sucking but i dont think you can attribute that to the current trend of remakes. I mean Bewitched and Herbie both beat out the masterpiece that is LOTD this weekend. What you can attribute the slump to is people and how much ass they suck. I wanted to stab the lady sitting in front of me in the throat this weekend. With only a few exceptions I just wait for DVDs to come out. I am tired of bitching about the "box office slump" from studios who are making way more movie from movies these days due to DVDs.

Interestingly enough, the video game market in the US crashed only a bit after the phenomenon you described took place. In a way, you're supporting the article's assertion ;)

Aside from that though, articles like this are usually bullcrap. You can't tell the future. No amount of trend studying can really dictate what happens next, so what's painted here is only one possible eventuality out of infinite possibilities. Fun to read? At times. Taken seriously? Heck no.

Gantz

Banned
Hollywood needs to cut back on overusing cgi and rehashed stories and work on better orginal movies, while video game developers need to work on innovating gameplay and making more original games instead of focusing on eyecandy.

Wraith

I would agree that the online part is dead on. There's nothing worse than walking into Ironforge/PoK/whatever the hubs are in other MMOs and hearing some 10 year olds shouting about some ridiculous BS, or hearing an argument about the latest political hotbutton. I particularly enjoy it when I walk back into IF/PoK/whatever later and the argument hasn't stopped! I went to an RP server in WoW to get away from it. Now I'm stuck with real nutcases who live and breathe Warcraft lore AND pure jackasses.

Wait. In truth, there's worse. Grouping with those people is much much worse. People who seem to have lost several keys on their keyboard(for instance, the 'y' and 'o' to go along with the 'u' and/or 'r'), people who seem to think that racism is OK online because the group isn't face to face, people who roll on anything despite someone else needing said thing, people who... well, you get my point. I'd honestly advocate a "mature" server just to see if things would improve.

Counterstrike suffers from the same problem. If everyone who had ever been called a fag in CS were actually homosexual, I think the gay population in the US alone would triple.

Bottom line is that if you don't have friends to play with, online play is no fun.

blackadde

re: online games, the longer the game has been out the better the online community is. After the first wave of idiots leaves in pursuit of greener pastures and new, more efficient ways to annoy anyone trying to have a good time all that's left are typically people more interested in the game rather than what the color of your skin is.

Mashing

I couldn't help read that thinking it was a promo for Microsoft. Sony nor Nintendo were even mentioned and I think they have both been more innvoative than Microsoft. It's a good article nontheless and not something I'd expect reading from the mainstream press.

Sapiens

Sega tried to be different with the DC and they got burned for it. Bad.

PS2's launch was horrible beyond TTT and RRV, and they cleaned up.

And they are still cleaning up.

This article is bullshit.

If you try to do something different these days, you'll get burned.

Long live mediocrity.

Personally, I don't know what I would do without sequels to SoulCal, Virtua Fighter and MGS. Same can be good.

And sports nuts, god love em, don't seem to mind paying for the upgrade each year.

So, whats the problem with the industry?

Nothing. It's kicking ass.

ziran

interesting article.

i don't know if it's going to affect videogames, but i'll be looking for innovation in ps3, 360 and rev.

rev, who knows, still have to wait and see..., but with ps3 and 360 i want totally immersive worlds, that mimic the real, and have a 'you can do anything you want' rule. i want much more than any developer has even attempted to give this gen. these consoles are touting realistic graphics so i want realistic worlds, not the limited experiences developers have dumped on gamers this gen.

gimme, gimme, gimme...!!! :D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Ark-AMN said:
I really wish Valve would reveal how much they made via steam, but I guess they don't want to give anyone ideas.

Hopefully not much (though I'm sure they did)...

Steam itself is a piece of shit, from a consumer standpoint. An absolutely awful program that does nothing but create hassles for those using it. It makes nothing easier while seriously hampering the performance of the games using it.

Du2andal

Banned
Interestingly enough, the video game market in the US crashed only a bit after the phenomenon you described took place. In a way, you're supporting the article's assertion ;)

My point was that when videogames crash due to lack of innovation (which I believe they will again) it will be because videgame publishers suck ass all on their own. Not because of some attempt to "emulate Hollywood". Hollywood is not the center of the freaking universe.

Du2andal said:

My point was that when videogames crash due to lack of innovation (which I believe they will again) it will be because videgame publishers suck ass all on their own. Not because of some attempt to "emulate Hollywood". Hollywood is not the center of the freaking universe.

The reasons the movie industry is in a recession aren't the reason we'll see a drop in gaming revenue shortly; with a new console wave, there is ALWAYS a drop in revenue. The effect is true, but the cause is a red herring.

----

Banned
What a stupid article. The Box Office isn't hurting because of a lack of originality and neither is the video game industry. If anything it's the fresh innovative games that usually fail because people don't want innovation they want the new Madden and the new Need For Speed. If there is any desire for innovative games it is from the small hardcore gaming niche, not the mainstream. The reason for the Box Office slump is that ticket prices are going up while movie theaters are not improving while our home theaters are getting better and DVD prices are getting cheaper. Why pay $10 to go to a theater to watch one movie on deteriorating film on a messed up old screen when for $15 a month you can get unlimited DVD rentals and watch (and pause) the movie at home with your whole family with surround sound on a nice tv?

If anything the video game industry is more comparable to the DVD movie industry, not the cinema. And the DVD industry is in anything but trouble. DVD's and home console games are complimentary (they come on the same medium and they're both stay at home activities). If there is any analogy for the cinema it is the video game arcade. Just like with arcades the technology of the movie theaters did not keep up with the technology at home, yet the prices kept increasing. I think within the next decade the movie theater may be gone completely. And as our tv screens keep getting bigger and sharper and we keep getting more speakers in our homes I doubt that we're even going to miss the movie theater when it is gone.

Interestingly enough the only theater experience which seems to be taking off is IMAX, which is the only theater experience you simply can't replicate at home. Unfortunately I don't see DLP and IMAX theaters taking over the market fast enough and that is why I see the home movie watching experience completely eliminating the need for movie theaters. When HD-DVD/Blu-Ray movies become popular I really can't see it having a positive effect on the box office.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
---- said:
What a stupid article. The Box Office isn't hurting because of a lack of originality and neither is the video game industry. If anything it's the fresh innovative games that usually fail because people don't want innovation they want the new Madden and the new Need For Speed. If there is any desire for innovative games it is from the small hardcore gaming niche, not the mainstream. The reason for the Box Office slump is that ticket prices are going up while movie theaters are not improving while our home theaters are getting better and DVD prices are getting cheaper. Why pay $10 to go to a theater to watch one movie on deteriorating film on a messed up old screen when for $15 a month you can get unlimited DVD rentals and watch (and pause) the movie at home with your whole family with surround sound on a nice tv?

Not to mention, at home you don't have to deal with all the assholes talking throughout the movie or talking on their cell phones... Nothing pisses me off more than plonking down $10 to see a movie and hear a bunch of assholes on their cell phone.

Top Bottom