• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD MW2 surpassed $1 Billion in sales in 10 days

NickFire

So the game that broke CoD records is a...

- ~7 hour campaign
- Coop
- Traditional CoD multiplayer

That's what your $70 dollars gets you?
MP has expanded beyond traditional. They basically added Battlefield to it.

Otherwise, I think your comment is factually accurate. But I completely disagree if you are suggesting the game is not worth it. They hit this one out of the park. If COD isn't your thing that's ok. But if you like COD, then this is the best version in a long time.

When skill based match making works properly it caters more to the casuals as you will be put into lobbies your equal skill level.

Most hardcore players hate it because they are constantly up against the same try hards as themselves and they have to work too hard
This is quite ironic.

Would mean that most hardcore players prefer a more casual COD and vice versa. Lol

Gambit2483

So, COD sells 1Bn in 10 days (not including mxt, merch etc)...and MS wants to buy entirety of Activion Blizzard for ~64Bn?

VxnVA7f.gif

Rex_DX

Gold Member
Curious if there's any documentation of how the return to Steam helped/hindered the release. If the previous record was 15 days to $1billion back in 2012 ... I believe the series was still on Steam at that time.

I've always enjoyed COD for the same reasons I enjoy watching Die Hard every Christmas.

Might pick this one up but it would be really nice if I could grab 2019's release on the same storefront. I'm assuming that's a pipe dream though.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
How is this on PC? I see a lot of comments about the game crashing on Steam reviews, but when you have this many players sometimes those reviews rise to the top and it's not that bad.

Robb

Gold Member
People sure like their Modern Warfare. The MW label is pretty much a brand on its own at this point.

lukilladog

I used to like COD sp campaigns, do you need a phone with a contract plan for that?... because I don't use that, only credit charges.

In another 5 years COD will pass Pokemon and Tetris, and then 5 years after that will pass Mario as the biggest gaming franchise of all time without half the spam and questionable inclusions.

Microsoft right now excited to toss this on their balance sheets.

Animated GIF

The $68.7 billion is inclusive of Activision net cash, so the more money they make the cheaper the deal becomes for Microsoft to buy Activision Blizzard (at least on Microsoft's end)

https://news.microsoft.com/2022/01/...ty-of-gaming-to-everyone-across-every-device/

REDMOND, Wash. and Santa Monica, Calif. – Jan. 18, 2022 With three billion people actively playing games today, and fueled by a new generation steeped in the joys of interactive entertainment, gaming is now the largest and fastest-growing form of entertainment. Today, Microsoft Corp. (Nasdaq: MSFT) announced plans to acquire Activision Blizzard Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI), a leader in game development and interactive entertainment content publisher. This acquisition will accelerate the growth in Microsoft’s gaming business across mobile, PC, console and cloud and will provide building blocks for the metaverse.

Microsoft will acquire Activision Blizzard for $95.00 per share, in an all-cash transaction valued at $68.7 billion, inclusive of Activision Blizzard’s net cash. When the transaction closes, Microsoft will become the world’s third-largest gaming company by revenue, behind Tencent and Sony. The planned acquisition includes iconic franchises from the Activision, Blizzard and King studios like “Warcraft,” “Diablo,” “Overwatch,” “Call of Duty” and “Candy Crush,” in addition to global eSports activities through Major League Gaming. The company has studios around the world with nearly 10,000 employees.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Wow.

COD will do wonders for Xbox console sales and GP subs once the games start appearing on GP from day one.

HoodWinked

ya this one does feel a bit different from the other years, I haven't played since the 360 days. But I saw that Amsterdam level and it got me interested enough to watch a streamer play the campaign. its funny IGN and others are bashing the campaign but I suspect it's because of a weirdo political bias but this game felt very polished and a lot of effort went into it minus the game crashing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

recma12

Better headline: "Gamers are idiots".

Nah, more like "you are an idiot"
I'm not even a big CoD guy, only play with people at work sometimes.

That said, the package you get from IW for your 70€ is great value.

- Campaign
- MP with loads of maps, modes, guns and cosmetics
- Co-op modes
- amazing performance (on PS5 at least), rock solid fps, fov sliders, tons of options
- BR and "Tarkov Mode" around the corner

Who else delivers that on day one? Halo? Battlefield?
CoD might not be a great "game" from a critic POV because it hardly innovates but as a product it stands way above anything out today.

ya this one does feel a bit different from the other years, I haven't played since the 360 days. But I saw that Amsterdam level and it got me interested enough to watch a streamer play the campaign. its funny IGN and others are bashing the campaign but I suspect it's because of a weirdo political bias but this game felt very polished and a lot of effort went into it minus the game crashing.

The moment the campaign launched "blue checkmark twitter" was looking for snippets to make fun of.
They found the "de escalate" scene and the rocket that killed fake Sulemani, totally ignoring how fucking tame CoD campaigns have become over the years.

Last edited:

Zug

I like a popcorn SP FPS campaign now and then, but hate MP and will never touch any of it. They should sell the SP/MP separatly, no way I'm paying 70 for 7h, even half of that is a bit much.

Shut0wen

Dont see the hype about this game, campaign is great so are the weapons and attachments but holy shit the maps are so shit, 3 year development and the map layout is horrendous, literally 3 alley ways, seriously ever since mw2009 infinity ward cant even make a decent map anymore, guessing whoever did it on OG mw and mw2 left for respawn

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Bro fist. Can’t wait to get rid of my house mortgage. Only 15 years left. 😭
15? Nice I'm 20 years from doing that.

I bought a broken home with damages as high as the initial cost well hidden. There's still a lawsuit going on but has been for ten years now.

I'd just bulldoze everything and make a new one. Should be more than enough for a mill and still have enough left to live a long life

Hugare

I wonder how much Microsoft will earn with COD once it goes Day One on Game Pass

Will be interesting to see

Crazy impressive that this is a record for COD, holy fuck.

It's been at the top for so long now in terms of popularity

Max_Po

Banned
THe more I play the more i like it. It is a bit slower than coldwar and vanguard.

I am not a pro

casual 39 year old father of 2 powning noobs late at night...

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom