• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football Playoff + New Year's Six |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured andycapps would be all over Todd Grantham getting back into the SEC.

Louisville and Mississippi State are apparently doing a wife defensive coordinator swap. Grantham to Miss State, Peter Sirmon to Louisville.

Defensive coordinators Todd Grantham and Peter Sirmon are trading places. Mississippi State announced Wednesday it has hired Grantham; his predecessor, Sirmon, will be hired by Louisville in the same position, sources confirmed to ESPN's Adam Rittenberg.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...dogs-hire-todd-grantham-defensive-coordinator

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So this new football league for players out of highschool is about to form, and they will PAY their players while they wait to be eligible for the NFL draft. I wonder if this league, should it have any success, will put pressure on the NCAA to compensate players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18449983/new-pacific-pro-football-league-debut-winter-2017

All comes down to the issue of "what happens if players that come in, don't make it/can't make it" in/to the NFL. Hope they save some of that money for some form of college/education for whatever future they want to achieve (that isn't football).

Probably depends on what the NFL wants them to do, if they accept it or not. Who knows if something like this drives them to do away with the 3 year rule.

jfkgoblue

So this new football league for players out of highschool is about to form, and they will PAY their players while they wait to be eligible for the NFL draft. I wonder if this league, should it have any success, will put pressure on the NCAA to compensate players.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18449983/new-pacific-pro-football-league-debut-winter-2017
It will do nothing. It would be like CFB without the school loyalties or traditions of CFB. It is gonna fail.

andycapps

All comes down to the issue of "what happens if players that come in, don't make it/can't make it" in/to the NFL. Hope they save some of that money for some form of college/education for whatever future they want to achieve (that isn't football).

Probably depends on what the NFL wants them to do, if they accept it or not. Who knows if something like this drives them to do away with the 3 year rule.
I don't know that $50k a year to play football without obtaining an education would be worth it to me. Could see some edge cases that it may be useful for but I doubt it's going to gut CFB.

Definitely feel like Minnesota is building Schiano West out there with the Robb Smith hire.

Very pleased that Slo is going to experience Schiano ball.

How do you feel about the joke that is the recruitment of Lovett?

Dude releases a Top 5 that doesn't include Rutgers, but has several schools that haven't even offered him ahead.

andycapps

$50K/yr can put a lot of food on the table for the kids family

It can, but assuming they don't make it to the NFL, which will be the case for most of them if this thing gets off the ground (if they went straight from highschool) they don't have a degree to show for it at the end of their playing days. I think it would be a situation where kids would have to have real money problems or get cut by the NFL and think this is a better option than the CFL.

It can, but assuming they don't make it to the NFL, which will be the case for most of them if this thing gets off the ground (if they went straight from highschool) they don't have a degree to show for it at the end of their playing days. I think it would be a situation where kids would have to have real money problems or get cut by the NFL and think this is a better option than the CFL.

I mean to be fair.

The majority of kids playing D1A ball end up with degrees that are hardly worth the paper they are printed on. The much bigger get from playing D1A ball is the connections they build from their time on campus.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
At this momemt, I agree..

Wilson is almost certainly going to LSU and I think Tufele stays home and goes to Utah.

Wilson is a toss-up between FSU and LSU supposedly. He's already official visited OSU and FSU, and LSU gets him this weekend. Hopefully LSU can swing it majorly in their favor then.

Apparently, ArDarius Stewart is gonna enter the draft. I'm not mad at that decision. I'd actually been hoping he had a good enough year to warrant moving on this season, even though he's my favorite Tide receiver since my cuz Julio.

But I kinda talked myself into thinking he'd be back after last night. I wonder what his draft grade is looking like.

So Calvin, Cam, Robert, Trevone, and a bunch of underclassmen next season. I can dig it. The lead assassin will be missed, though.

cdyhybrid

Apparently, ArDarius Stewart is gonna enter the draft. I'm not mad at that decision. I'd actually been hoping he had a good enough year to warrant moving on this season, even though he's my favorite Tide receiver since my cuz Julio.

But I kinda talked myself into thinking he'd be back after last night. I wonder what his draft grade is looking like.

So Calvin, Cam, Robert, Trevone, and a bunch of underclassmen next season. I can dig it. The lead assassin will be missed, though.
It's not a super deep draft at WR, so might not be a bad decision.

It's not a super deep draft at WR, so might not be a bad decision.

I always figured he could work himself into the 2nd round. I don't think I've ever seen a better blocking WR, and his hands are typically pretty reliable. This season was great for showcasing his athleticism and how much of a burner he can be. I hate that the double pass he executed perfectly (and Jalen's TD run) won't really be remembered.

andycapps

I figured andycapps would be all over Todd Grantham getting back into the SEC.

Louisville and Mississippi State are apparently doing a wife defensive coordinator swap. Grantham to Miss State, Peter Sirmon to Louisville.

We might talk about it on the podcast tonight.

I did mention it in our Hangouts sesh, it's hilarious. UGA plays Miss St in our once every 6 years clash for the ages so it should be fun to have him around again and see their DB's completely lost regarding the playcalls.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know that $50k a year to play football without obtaining an education would be worth it to me. Could see some edge cases that it may be useful for but I doubt it's going to gut CFB.

They also get money to go to community college in the offseason, and the season only lasts for July and August, so the "offseason" is literally the entire normal school year. If the league succeeds I could see them removing the "community" part later on.

I think this league taking off would be great for a lot of the issues that plague college football but that's a hell of a rough climb. I certainly wouldn't put money on them making it. College football has a lot of power.

They also get money to go to community college in the offseason, and the season only lasts for July and August, so the "offseason" is literally the entire normal school year. If the league succeeds I could see them removing the "community" part later on.

I think this league taking off would be great for a lot of the issues that plague college football but that's a hell of a rough climb. I certainly wouldn't put money on them making it. College football has a lot of power.
$50k average salary * 50 players per team * 4 SoCal teams = $10m in base salary per season, correct? Does the $50k include education costs? Either way, that's a lot of revenue they'll need to generate to cover those expenses in just two months.

I'll be surprised if this league even plays a game with that structure, but more power to them if they do.

Ryuuroden

Torrance Gibson to UC as a QB. Good for him, I hope he is successful for them.

It was a good move I think for him. I think he's going to be pretty good and I wish him well. Honestly I would have loved to see what he could do as an receiver at Ohio State. We probably could of really used him this year If not for the suspension.

Us Texas fans aren't too happy about Tom Herman's latest hire, Casey Horny, who was a huge Art Briles sympathizer. I'm really disappointed at how tone deaf Herman is

JIOjOOn.png

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Kansas just hired TCU's offensive coordinator.

Co-offensive coordinator, technically, but he was the "senior" guy of the two at TCU. Safe to assume this was Cumbie's endgame when he turned down Texas a year ago.

$50k average salary * 50 players per team * 4 SoCal teams = $10m in base salary per season, correct? Does the $50k include education costs? Either way, that's a lot of revenue they'll need to generate to cover those expenses in just two months.

I'll be surprised if this league even plays a game with that structure, but more power to them if they do.

The way it's worded the education costs are extra. Also keep in mind that normal benefits are generally in the 25-40% range so add both of those on top and you could easily be looking at $15MM or more before you even get to coaches, equipment, facilities, etc.

Torrance Gibson to UC as a QB. Good for him, I hope he is successful for them.

It was a good move I think for him. I think he's going to be pretty good and I wish him well. Honestly I would have loved to see what he could do as an receiver at Ohio State. We probably could of really used him this year If not for the suspension.
This kinda hurts though with the WR issues especially coupled with Tyjon decommitting and flipping to Nebraska.

Assuming we had Harris.. Grimes/Victor on one side with Harris presumably on the other (I'm not counting White or EGW until later when things calm down) and Hill at the Slot. McLaurin and Campbell probably Switch in and out in relief (this is all probably wrong.. but figure it out Zack)

At H-Back: Run DMC/Dobbins?

HB: Weber... Antonio.. (man Curtis declaring hurts a bit..) we suddenly have issues developing at RB that if Mike gets hurt.. there is going to be a struggle. Supposedly we will try to pick up Morgan Ellison with Lindsay dropping.. which isn't a bad thing.. but considering who we could land (Lingard, an outside shot at White.. plus we still have Snead committed for the moment although I bet he doesn't stick).

Mike Bianchi still cant let go of Urban

C1_Q7tjWQAg0LWR.jpg
It was probably his fault that Grier can't read labels.

ESPN’s telecast of the COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF CHAMPIONSHIP was huge, but at 8.00 it wasn’t quite as massive as last year’s 8.26. Once again the sports conglomerate simulcast the game on several of its other outlets, but we only have ratings for ESPN2 at 0.23/803K and ESPNU at 0.04/72K.

8.00 + .23 + .04 = 8.27

So if you add all 3 networks, the broadcast this year had a better rating than last year by 0.01

Clemson scored with 0.01 left

Illuminati?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
8.00 + .23 + .04 = 8.27

So if you add all 3 networks, the broadcast this year had a better rating than last year by 0.01

Clemson scored with 0.01 left

Illuminati?

was 8.27 the combined rating from last year with streaming, or not? Similar programming options (probably better coaches table, with Coach Boom, Florida Used Car's Salesman, pre-Oregon Taggert, National Championship winner Pat Narduzzi, and "Guy from North Carolina)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom