• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Color laser or inkjet? Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

After seven years, my lightly-used HP Deskjet 722C finally died, so I'm looking for a replacement printer. I've narrowed the solution space to color laser versus inkjet, but I could use some help in deciding between those two technologies, and even getting specific model recommendations. (Multifunction printers are out since I never scan or fax from home. In the rare, rare event that I'd need to do something like that, I could run down to Kinko's or something.)

My use cases for printing at home are pretty simple: poetry (B&W text), Mapquest directions (B&W or color), HTML pages (B&W or color), CD case covers (color), and that's about it. I'm not interested in printing digital photos at home -- the quality you get from the commercial dye sublimation places is going to be much better than an inkjet, and I don't print a lot of photos anyway. (Any kind of color output would be fine for printing out emailed photos to hang on the fridge.)

As far as requirements go, there are only a few. I'd prefer to keep the initial cost at $500 or less. (Long-term cost is also somewhat of a factor, but it's driven by the type of technology as far as I know. Replacement ink cartridges are cheaper, but have to be replaced more frequently...toner cartridges are very expensive, but last 4-5K pages.) Network print capability is mandatory, though I don't want to pay extra for built-in wireless capability. The printer will almost certainly be right next to my wireless router, so Ethernet would work fine. Bonjour support is a plus, but not essential. Size is another big factor since my current printer is fairly small and is on a middle shelf on my printer stand so I can put a DVD/games rack on top of the printer stand. I'm not sure exactly where I'd put a very tall and/or wide printer, but I could try to be creative if the best choice has a large footprint. Almost all of the print jobs are fairly small (10 pages or less), so speed is a nice-to-have, but not essential. Sharp text output is critical, both for my writing and my resume.

Any thoughts on whether an inkjet or a color laser is the way to go? If so, are there specific models you'd recommend?

gblues

Banned
You're not going to get anything good with that budget. I'd get a B&W laser for your mapquest/poetry needs, and use a copy center (Staples, Office Depot, OfficeMax/CopyMax, etc) for the odd CD cover--the job will look a lot nicer and last a lot longer than anything you'd get out of either an ink or laser color printer.

When you're ready to drop a couple grand, then you can look into the nicer color printers.

Nathan

I'd have to disagree with gblues. You can get solid, personal color laserjets these days, that don't cost an arm and a leg. We recently purchased an HP 3600 here at the office, and it handles light color duties very well. It's an excellent printer, has built in ethernet, and solid image quality. We payed about $580 for it, which I know is a bit above your price range, but one of the other HP Color Laserjets may fit the bill just nicely. The 3600 toner seems to last a long time as well. We've run 3000+ prints through it, and have more than half the toner left.

Willco

Hollywood Square
I agree with gblues as well, as someone who has been doing more and more professional printing work for a living (unfortunately).

Willco said:
I agree with gblues as well, as someone who has been doing more and more professional printing work for a living (unfortunately).

But the OP isn't doing "Professional Printing Work". That's an entirely different level of printer. For the record, we publish a magazine where I work, and have a much more expensive professional level proofer for high level stuff. But for the light duty, the HP Color Laserjets work just fine, and cost a hell of a lot less.

Lhadatt

Samsung B&W laser - $199: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828112024
HP color laser - $320: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828104363
HP color inkjet with lots of fun stuff - $270: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828104197

Lots of other good deals here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...10330038+1099808380&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=38

Don't buy Brother or Lexmark. That HP color laser will be a good buy, I think we rolled it out to one of our client sites and it's working OK.

gblues

Banned
In a former job I was a technical support agent for Highly Popular printer manufacturer; my duty was supporting the "personal" (read: cheap) line of laserjet printers.

I'm well aware you can get ultra-cheap (and cheap is the operative word here) color laser printers; for any printing that you want to look nice AND last a very long time, they are a waste of money. With color laser, say hello to ugly dithering artifacts; with color ink, say goodbye to your colors within a year or two.

B&W laser gets you top quality combined with low upkeep cost ($65 for 2,500 pages vs. $15 for 250). Then for those things that really NEED to be in color, get it done right at a copy center at a reasonable cost. But don't chince out; I wouldn't trust the build quality of a B&W laser that cost less than $300. Especially since networking is one of your requirements (the $199 models are host-based, which means forget about networking because the "brains" of the printer are just software on your PC).

Nathan

Lhadatt

gblues said:
In a former job I was a technical support agent for Highly Popular printer manufacturer; my duty was supporting the "personal" (read: cheap) line of laserjet printers.

I'm well aware you can get ultra-cheap (and cheap is the operative word here) color laser printers; for any printing that you want to look nice AND last a very long time, they are a waste of money. With color laser, say hello to ugly dithering artifacts; with color ink, say goodbye to your colors within a year or two.

B&W laser gets you top quality combined with low upkeep cost ($65 for 2,500 pages vs. $15 for 250). Then for those things that really NEED to be in color, get it done right at a copy center at a reasonable cost. But don't chince out; I wouldn't trust the build quality of a B&W laser that cost less than $300. Especially since networking is one of your requirements (the $199 models are host-based, which means forget about networking because the "brains" of the printer are just software on your PC).
Actually, I totally agree with this. HP is crap, but so is everything else. The only printer brands I don't have issues with are Xerox and Samsung, and that may only be because I haven't had as much exposure to them as HP.

You won't get quality anything at the consumer level prices - $300 and below. Printers are now commodity devices, and as such are expected to break and be thrown away in a relatively short timespan. "Cheap" color laser printers, while neat, are still cheap - you get what you paid for. "But I paid $350 for it!" Yeah, you paid a lot of money for a low-grade version of expensive technology. That's like buying a Sharp Wizard when you want to run Palm or PocketPC programs - it's not going to work very well. Now, if you just want something that prints in color and you're not concerned with efficiency, quality, or how often you have to repair it, then that expensive piece of garbage might just be right for you...

A better road might be getting an inkjet printer and an ethernet print server. At least with this route, you know the networking will likely be OK, and you won't get burned too badly on the printer.

No matter what you go with, just be sure to research the costs for ink. As bitchin as some lasers are, I'm not dropping $120 for a toner cartidge... for ONE color, not all four.

I personally love my old Canon S800, but it's cheaply made and now failing me. (had it for 4 years) My use for printing is also changing, since I've started to get into freelance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom