• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Do not buy an inkjet printer, just get a damn Brother

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You're right about that wifi issue. That happens when you don't use it as often (the Samsung printer) for me.

If I didn't get such a good deal on it, I probably wouldn't have bought it. But it's a good printer for what it does and hope it lasts me forever.

Eotheod

Just get an Epson Ecotank and laugh in the face of costly ink replacements. Amazon sells knock off bottles of ink for about $10-$15 (AUD) compared to $80 for a red ink cartridge in traditional printers.

Lasha

Is there a way to disable sleep mode on brother printers? Mine is connected over wifi. It always loses connection when entering sleep mode that can only be exited by physically touching the device. I've disabled deep sleep but I can't seem to do much about regular sleep

lachesis

I have Xerox color copier with Fiery, two HP 60” plotters and multiple Epson Inkjets at work for my disposal- but I have a cheap 99 dollar brother at home. Inkjets are just way too expensive in the long run, and I don’t print much at home.

For normal use, unless you are trying to print photos for frames, simple laser is better I think.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Hey, guess what? My Samsung was leaking powder from the toner too much to keep using it (it happened with several toners in a row), so I got a Brother for the office.

It's... not that great. Copy quality at 600 dpi is visibly inferior to the Samsung, scanning is a bit slower, and the design has some dumb choices (the flap that prevents A4 sheets from falling after printing requires you to lift the whole printer's top to extend it).
Still better than dealing with HP's bs I guess, but Samsung used to make the best home/small office laser printers imo.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I used to just print everything at work and had no printer for years. Then I thought might be good to have one at home for emergencies and stuff. I bought a Brother laser printer I saw recommended on Reddit. Its great. I added it to my home network via ethernet and I can print from any computer, phone etc. Quality is good. I have heard that Brother is getting worse but no issues so far at least for me.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I need one to scan and print color too, because my wife is a Teacher.

I have an HP printer with a scanner and the ink prices SUCK.....but the scanner is great.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I have a Brother inkjet. Works great. I dont print much and a 10 pack of knockoff inks for $20 from Amazon works fine.

My old HP was good too.

Worst printer I had was an even older Epson. It was so bad sucking up ink I chatted with CSR to return it. They were cool and said they cant refund me but send me a brand new one I took to the store for store credit. Even putting it at the worst quality setting and B&W it used up ink oddly fast.

Audiophile

Gold Member
One day my HP printer just decided it'll no longer work with any PC/Laptop and I have to upload to Google Drive and print from my phone now.

I've tried everything. It's the phone or nothing.

Hell is just a grey, carpeted room with a HP printer and a document you spend eternity trying to print.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Celebrating the weekend by dropping truth bombs:

Inkjet printers are rubbish. HP inkjet printers were designed by this guy:

the omen devil GIF by foxhorror
<------- the Devil moonlighting as HP's Chief Product Designer

You do not need a color printer in 99% of cases. You still want to print those photos you will never look at again? Just go to a print store with one of those self-service kiosks.

Just get a Brother laser monochrome printer, it will never break, never lose wi-fi connection, and you will pay $30 for a new toner after something like 3 000 pages. Here, read this:

I have the Brother printer mentioned in the article, here's TLDR version:

the force awakens GIF by Star Wars

Happy weekend everyone!
Oh Brother 🤦‍♂️….🤭 I’ll see myself out

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I already have that Brother printer, haha. It's the only printer I have.

Rival

Gold Member
No greater technological piece of shit has ever been engineered than the Epson inkjet printer that used to sit in the corner of my home office. I’m not being dramatic when I say that a brand new ink cartridge would last about five pages worth of printing before I would get a notification that it was low and needed replacing. And that was if I was lucky enough that a new one would work at all. The printer was free from my old company and I still paid too much for it.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Ah, Epson.
Touted as the best on the market some 20+ years ago.
I remember having one. It was sooooo slow compared to the Canons. And yeah, it consumed ink like it was harmful to its innards.

Top Bottom