• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comfy Couch PC Gaming Suggestions

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Hey GAF! Recently bought pieces for a decent build... posting specs just in case:
Code:
1 x ($399.99) GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

1 x ($329.99) Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$329.99

1 x ($149.99) ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

1 x ($109.99) Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - OEM
1 x ($59.99) CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11

1 x ($30.99) COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
1 x ($15.99) LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OE
1 x ($9.99) Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM - OEM
2 x ($3.49) Nippon Labs Model SATA3-0.5M 19.7" SATA III Flat Cable with Latch

Anyway, this will be plugged to a monitor and to my HDTV and Receiver. Thing is, I want to enjoy some leisure gaming from the famous comfy couch. I already have an Xbox 360 Controller Adapter, so I know I can play a few games with it, but what about those games that REQUIRE a KB+Mouse... is there any option for couch playing? My keyboard and mouse are wireless if that counts for anything. What do you guys do for stuff like this? :p

LCGeek

formerly sane
I forgot what they are called but some people get things you get place on your lap and give you enough room for both keyboard and mouse.

Xpadder.

You can assign key strokes to a controller layout (PS3, 360, etc.)

Unless by "require" you mean you want to play StarCraft II which is of course impossible to do with a controller (and have fun or be competitive.)

NySpeed

I honestly just have my feet on my ottoman, keyboard on my lap and a mouse on a pillow right next to me on the couch. it works great. The logitech keyboard is so light and thin its not a problem at all.

I also greatly recommend the xbox 360 controller for PC, i recently got a logitech wireless gamepad and after 10 hours with it, its just too uncomfortable. The triggers aren't placed well to actually be comfortable when in use, the left thumbstick has a hard time clicking in for whenever I click it when the stick is pressed forward (aka sprinting). And also its pretty bulky due to the motors battery housing in the back. Please note i have average to large hands if that makes a difference.

I had to get a xbox controller this morning and its has been 100x more comfortable.

EDIT: also you can create a desktop shortcut for Steam that takes you directly to big picture mode. Just create a new shortcut on you desktop and for the location of the item use:

steam://open/bigpicture

I really wish I could do comfy couch PC gaming easier. I actually have a good setup, but the problem is that my TV doesn't correct Overscan well and doing it in Nvidia control panel doesn't always work well either, causing really strange resolutions, etc. Oh well.

But as for yours, looks good!

Vandiger

I play with a G13 gaming pad and a Naga Mouse. Sometimes will just use a PS Move Navigator and mouse. My main gaming controller is a Dual Shock 3, just a workhorse never breaks.

I just hooked up my laptop to my new HDTV and Steam big screen mode is really shining through.
Considering purchasing an HTTPC (sp?), which will most likely be more powerful than my current laptop (Dualcore i5 at 2.4-5Ghz, 4GB ram, Ati 5660M I think).

Top Bottom