• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC BOOK DAY! - 07/28/04 - New Astonishing X-Men!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoneBone

Powers #2
EDIT: And the Bone One Volume Edition is supposedly out this week, too. But I ordered that from Amazon.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
BATGIRL #54
BATMAN #630
GREEN LANTERN #179
SUPERMAN #207
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #510
ASTONISHING X-MEN #3
AVENGERS #500*
EXCALIBUR #3*
FANTASTIC FOUR #516*
JLA #102*
RICHARD DRAGON #3*

* = Maybe

BuddyC

GREEN LANTERN #179
SLEEPER SEASON TWO #2
ASTONISHING X-MEN #3
POWERS #2
MARVEL KNIGHTS 4 #8
POWERLESS #2 <- Maybe. The preview snagged my interest, even though the first was kinda blah.
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #9 <- Because it's on my pull list. I've already dropped it, but that doesn't take effect until August :/

lordmrw

CONAN #6
BATMAN #630
SUPERMAN #207
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #510
ASTONISHING X-MEN #3
AVENGERS #500
POWERS #2
WIZARD X BATMAN SUPERMAN CVR
FLASH #212

This week more than makes up for last week. Last week I only bought 3 books. Flash sold out on me last week, so hopefully this week they'll have an extra copy. I've been dying to read the other half of avengers, so i hope it doesn't dissapoint. I know a big spoiler for amazing spider-man, but i don't want to reveal it.

DC THE NEW FRONTIER #5 (Of 6)
PLANETARY #20
ASTONISHING X-MEN #3
AVENGERS #500 (#85) - This is the Bendis takeover, right?
POWERS #2
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #9

This week is scary good. Seriously... I'm overwhelmed. Two Cassaday books in one week. That's actually a little known sign that the end-times are approaching. So look out for that.

Anybody folliwng the bendis / millar internet messageboard dustup? Weird stuff. I blame Identity Crisis! And Wanted! Bad influences on impressionable minds! I'm totally caling my congressman.

FnordChan

Man, what a great week for comics! I'm so enthused, I'm driven to post pics of absolutely everything I'm buying.

1593072074.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Samurai Executioner Vol. 1 - Before Lone Wolf and Cub, Koike and Kojima created the saga of the Shogun's executioner. This should be completely bad-ass, and is an absolute steal at $10 for 300 pages. (Small pages, sure, but what the heck.) You can see several preview pages here.

pic_lrgdcnewfront5cvr.jpg

DC: The New Frontier #5 (of 6) - Darwyn Cooke! The dawn of the Silver Age! The birth of the Green Lantern! And dig that Picassoesque cover. Don't want for the trade, go buy this and all the back issues posthaste.

pic_lrgplanet20cvr.jpg

Planetary #20 - This will absolutely rock, but I won't believe it's actually released until I'm holding it in my hands.

pic_lrgsleepers22cvr.jpg

Sleeper Season 2, #2 (of 12) - 'Nuff said.

WD009.jpg

Walking Dead #9 - Just because I can't find a decent pic of the cover doesn't mean that this comic isn't consistently terrific. Zombies! Brains! Preview pages!

AXM003.jpg

Astonishing X-Men #3 - To quote Marvel's preview blurb, "Plus, Wolverine’s relationship with a fellow X-Man takes an unexpected turn..."[/url] I reckon this means he and Scott are finally going to shack up.

POWERS2.jpg

Powers Vol. 2 #2 - Fortunatly, being published by Marvel's Icon imprint doesn't seem to have hurt this title. It's still terrific, the letters column is still salty, and the addition of the "Powers Personals" is an unintentionally(?) hilarious new addition. If you're new to Powers, Volume 2 is as good a place to start as any, so quit making excuses and check it out.

ULTFF009_CMYK.jpg

Ultimate Fantastic Four #9 - Warren Ellis, Stuart Immomen, and Doctor Doom? Oh, hell yeah.

XStatix_25.jpg

X-Statix #25 - All I've got to say is that Doop is going to fuck Thor's shit right up.

maison_06.jpg

Maison Ikkoku Vol. 6 - More top notch romantic manga from Rumiko "I got this title right, I swear, it has an ending and everything" Takahashi. The cover for the new, unflipped, $10 edition eludes me, so ya'll get to enjoy the old cover.

FnordChan

Looks like a pretty light week this time... Good. :)

MAY040032 CONAN #6 $2.99
MAY041632 AVENGERS #500 (#85) $3.50

Also: Comics Continuum sez Devil May Cry #2 ships this week as well, but it's certainly not on Diamond's list. Oh well; this series is so late, and the 1st issue was so sh*tty, that I don't care either way. F*ckin' Dreamwave... UDON should've gotten all of Capcom's licenses.

8bit

Knows the Score
FnordChan said:
Man, what a great week for comics! I'm so enthused, I'm driven to post pics of absolutely everything I'm buying.

1593072074.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Samurai Executioner Vol. 1 - Before Lone Wolf and Cub, Koike and Kojima created the saga of the Shogun's executioner. This should be completely bad-ass, and is an absolute steal at $10 for 300 pages. (Small pages, sure, but what the heck.)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!

I already bought it off eBay with the first 8 issues, but I'm going to buy it again: Walking Dead #9

Astonishing X-Men #3
X-Statix #25
Avengers #500

Bowser

CONAN #6
SLEEPER SEASON TWO #2
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #510
ASTONISHING X-MEN #3
AVENGERS #500 (#85)
POWERS #2
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #9

Huge, huge week!

BuddyC

Agent Dormer said:
I kinda spent to much in general last week.
Getting back into comics is an expensive venture: so many series to discover, so many trades to read, so many back issues to hunt down. Once it's down to an issue per month or so, that's when it gets affordable.

Ryu

Heavy week this week for me since I skipped last week. I'll list everything I'm picking up via pull list --

Birds of Prey 70
Ex Machina 2
SeaGuy 3
Daredevil vol 9 TPB
DC the New Frontier 5
Sleeper Season 2 2
Superman 207
Amazing Spider-Man 510
Astonishing X-Men 3
Avengers 500
Marvel Knights 4 8
Powerless 2
Powers 2
Powers the Sell Outs TPB

Wow. Easily a 50 dollar and beyond week without question for me.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
BuddyChrist83 said:
Getting back into comics is an expensive venture: so many series to discover, so many trades to read, so many back issues to hunt down. Once it's down to an issue per month or so, that's when it gets affordable.

I hope so!

Willco

Hollywood Square
LOSERS #14 (MR)
SLEEPER SEASON TWO #2 (Of 12) (MR)
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #510
ASTONISHING X-MEN
AVENGERS #500
POWERS #2 (MR)
VENOM VS CARNAGE #1
X-STATIX #25

... Great week.

Alucard

Banned
I still need to track down a copy of Astonishing X-Men #2. That won't stop me from buying #3 this week though. I also want to start reading the new Powers series since I missed out on the first one. Speaking of which, is the original Powers still going on or is it officially finished?...I'd also love to pick up The New Frontier but it's far too expensive for my wallet right now.

Otherwise, it's just Mystique for me this week. I'll probably end up dropping it after the current story arc. I enjoy it but it's nothing that I can see myself reading and being proud of owning years from now. Ex Machina shall take its place since it's absolutely freaking stellar and Brian K. Vaughan is the man.

FnordChan

Alucard said:
I also want to start reading the new Powers series since I missed out on the first one. Speaking of which, is the original Powers still going on or is it officially finished?

Powers Volume 2 is a direct continuation of the original series, picking up a few months after Volume 1 left off. If you're a fan, you want to start buying the Icon re-launch. And, if you're not a fan, this is a perfectly good place to jump on.

...I'd also love to pick up The New Frontier but it's far too expensive for my wallet right now.

Whenever you're feeling flush again and lookin for back issues to pick up make sure that New Frontier should is at the top of your to-buy list.

FnordChan

nomoment

Willco said:
VENOM VS CARNAGE #1
Dude, you're buying Venom vs Carnage without reservations?

We're not supposed to go public about these guilty pleasures!

Alucard said:
I'd also love to pick up The New Frontier but it's far too expensive for my wallet right now.
Just to give The New Frontier another push, be advised that the New Fronter TPB doesn't come out until December. And here's the thing -- the trade that comes out in December is softcover, and ONLY COLLECTS THE FIRST THREE ISSUES. So, if you really, really want to read the series now, you'd best buy the singles.

I'm still waiting for the eventual hardcover, though. (which probably won't be out until late 2005) :p

Ryu

All of you would do REALLY WELL to buy DC: The New Frontier. I wasn't even going to make an LCS run for the rest of this month, but once I heard part 5 was coming out, my priorities changed quickly.

Alucard

Banned
Well...maybe if I can find the first issue I'll give it a go, despite the fact that I probably shouldn't. There are a lot of graphic novels already out that I want and that I can get for around the same price as one issue of The New Frontier. My Destroyer and White Elephant come to mind.

MASB

CONAN #6
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #510
UNCLE SCROOGE #332
WALT DISNEYS COMICS AND STORIES #647

Maybe a few others. I might check out Rogue #1 to see if it's worth buying (Rogue being my favorite XMen character).

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
Dude, you're buying Venom vs Carnage without reservations?

We're not supposed to go public about these guilty pleasures!

Oh, I have reservations, but in Milligan I trust. If this sucks, I swear to God, I'll drop Human Target off my pull list. Just to make him pay.

nomoment

Willco said:
Oh, I have reservations, but in Milligan I trust. If this sucks, I swear to God, I'll drop Humant Target off my pull list.
I think it'd make more sense if you dropped Ultimate Spider-Man.

See the October solicts for Ult. Spidey? It's going to be a Wolverine/Spider-Man team-up! A WOLVERINE TEAM-UP!?

You buy too much Bendis, anyway.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
I think it'd make more sense if you dropped Ultimate Spider-Man.

See the October solicts for Ult. Spidey? It's going to be a Wolverine/Spider-Man team-up! A WOLVERINE TEAM-UP!?

You buy too much Bendis, anyway.

I still enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man and how can you fault me for buying too much of a good thing!

nomoment

Willco said:
I still enjoy Ultimate Spider-Man and how can you fault me for buying too much of a good thing!
I stand by my assessment of the "Hollywood" arc's suckiness. This Carnage storyline hasn't been too hot, either. I stand patiently while the title returns to it's pre-Venom story arc greatness.

It's cool though, I'm reading all the issues I'm missing in the shop.

Willco

Hollywood Square
nomoment said:
I stand by my assessment of the "Hollywood" arc's suckiness. This Carnage storyline hasn't been too hot, either. I stand patiently while the title returns to it's pre-Venom story arc greatness.

It's cool though, I'm reading all the issues I'm missing in the shop.

Hollywood isn't an incredibly good arc, but I enjoyed it for the reference if nothing else. I like Carnage so far, I'm glad you-know-who is dead and I can't wait to see what he does with it.

nomoment

I don't think this really deserves it's own thread, so I'll just stick it here. First two pages of the Green Lantern: Rebirth prelude, which is featured in tommorrow's WIZARD magazine:

WZ20040726-gl1.jpg

WZ20040726-gl2.jpg

nomoment said:
I don't think this really deserves it's own thread, so I'll just stick it here. First two pages of the Green Lantern: Rebirth prelude, which is featured in tommorrow's WIZARD magazine:

WZ20040726-gl1.jpg

WZ20040726-gl2.jpg

i shall retire to my quarters and masturbate with the power of the central battery at Oa.
i assume that by parallax coming back, that there is a rip in the fabric of time or some such? and does this eman that kyle has left earth for good?

there is only one problem with that preview. the ring can translate languages. i dont know how geoff missed that cause in the obsidian gae kyle's ring was translating old languages. unless he's using a different ring?

anyways....

BATMAN #630 *this damn winnick arc is done right?* fucking hell.... this goes in the maybe column

DC THE NEW FRONTIER #5 (Of 6 *this does not go in the maybe column, this goes in the you must buy or earth is doomed column.

GREEN LANTERN #179 *dont fuck it up kyle, you only got two issues to go and you havent fought guy gardner yet. ;)

LEGION #36 *the legion ma'am. good art as always and andy lanning and dan abnett are always good for a quick jaunt.

SUPERMAN #207 *finally we learn what the vanishing is*

SUPERMAN BIRTHRIGHT #12 (Of 12 *forgot about this title. i dont like the whole half assed half way reboot thing they got going....

still a good week though, im dropping ultimate FF though. i migh tpick up one of those DC presents books...

Grant Morrison's latest interview:

NRAMA: Is this a story set in current continuity, or retro-back in your original run, or…when? What’s the threat for the team?

GM: Aquaman has no beard and John Stewart is Green Lantern so it's pretty much set in some kind of current continuity but I’m afraid it's not the gloomy 'adult' world of Sue Dibny's shredded lycra pants so keep well away if it's attempted rape you crave. Cannibalism, yes, rape, no. My DCU is a day-glo, non-stop funhouse, where the world is threatened every five minutes and godlike beings clash in the skies like fireworks.

There are robots, liquid men and jet apes and we get to see the Batman's “science fiction closet.” I wanted this book to taste like rocket fuel and make the reader feel like a beam of coherent light fired from the barrel of a laser gun. Don’t expect slow-paced character build-up in this one...

Yes.

Also includes another mention of the 12 issue series featuring one of 'DC's main characters' (which can only be his Frank Quietly drawn take on Superman) and more on the interesting Seven Soldiers concept. Link!

hiryu

I'm getting

Astonishing Xmen 3
Walking Dead 9
Sleeper Season Two 2

and I picked up The Ultimates and V for Vendetta paperbacks. I use to collect comics hardcore in the mid 80s through the early 90s and all of these threads have got me interested again. I bet I've spent 300 on trade paperbacks and hardcovers in the last 2 months.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Has everybody stopped collecting those Escapist shorts that Michael Chabon pieces together? They're cheap for the value and they've always got some great talent onboard. Hell, just last issue they had Brian K. Vaughn and Marv Wolfman, with even Mignola doing the cover.

Bitchin'.

BuddyC

Regarding the end of Amazing Spider-Man #510:

Holy shit. I'd guessed the pregnancy bit, but, oh man. So awesome. Even if this turns out to be an elaborate hoax, it's still great. Could these be Parker's offspring? If not, who?

I picked up...a lot of comics today. Also snagged Bone, because I got it for only $3 more than Amazon.com and I could have it now instead of ...whenever.

I didn't have the cash for Superman, could someone spoil The Vanishing for me? Thanks :)

Ryu

For Superman 207:

The vanishing is just some government produced toy meant to protect the country Superman has been fighting in against that part man part meta-human beast thing whose name escapes me at the moment. Anyways, it was activated by that beast thing and the beast and the general vanished along with 300,000 others or something like that in an instant. From what I can tell, it's random.

But regardless of all that, I can't stand Azzarello's writing in either Superman or Batman. This guy sucks on costumed heroes -- seriously. This was probably one of the dumbest comics I picked up today and I still have about half a stack to read including two full trades. It's just a dumb storyline so far.

Astonishing X-Men was fucking awesome though. The conversations between Scott and Nick Fury and between White Queen and Pryde were incredibly well-written. Plus, the danger room background was absolutely hilarious and well-timed. The revelation at the end was also very well done if Hank's findings about the "cure" are indeed true. This book is one of the best of my haul thus far. Just great writing and great art all around.

Amazing Spider-Man was pretty good as well though not quite as good as Astonishing. Buddy Christ is right on the line with the spoiler as it was a very nice way to end the issue. I can't wait till 511 for this arc. Some really good stuff so far from Straczynski.

Marvel Knights 4 was a guilty pleasure of mine up until this issue. Man, why'd they go and change artists? It was one of the only things keeping me on this title up until this point and it made me even suffer through the last stupid alien feeding arc just to see what's going to happen next. Now, Namor? The Watcher? New art? So they're poor and have jobs and having trouble coping with it all -- welcome to the real fucking world. This book is dropped.

The Avengers was pretty good even though I read about 2/3 of it via newsarama spoilers. Can't really bitch about Bendis' dialogue as there wasn't much of it during the last half of the title and just instead featured some pretty good art. It was nice seeing
She-Hulk finally go ape-shit like her cousin and fucking rip Vision's corpse in half
. If anything, the Avengers need more senseless brutality. :)

Ex Machina was pretty good. Part 1 was better though. I like the relationship built between the Commisioner and Hundred though. That'll keep me around for at least one more issue to see what comes of it. The politics in the story, however, don't impress me as yet. A painting is just a painting when you really get down to it. It's all subjective.

Birds of Prey was yet another mediocre title at this point. Still a lot of unanswered questions. I was personally more interested in the opening with Canary and Babs then I was with everything happening with the Huntress. Ah well, I guess that will keep me for at least another issue just to see what happens with that sort of prologue in this particular issue.

Powerless was OK as I'm sure this entire series will be. I can't help but feel the writer cheapens the characters by making their powers in the "alternate reality" somehow a type of dependance on their foresight and knowledge as both Parker and Murdock feel like total dunces. Even though Murdock is without his heightened senses, it's hardly evidence that he could say a witness is lieing based on his heartbeat, but he'd never go after Fisk, the Kingpin even who has people killed for so much as the wrong type of look, would go right after him without any evidence. Let alone make Peter into some type of sub-standard brain who has trouble making anything work out. I just feel the writer makes them less of a character just because they don't stick to walls, shoot webs, are incapable of dieing, or can't tell if someone is lieing or not.

Ah well, that's about it for that. I still have my cream of the crop to be read later tonight including Sleeper Season 2 number 2, Powers 2, DC: The New Frontier 5, Sea Guy 3, Powers: The Sellouts, and Daredevil vol 9. Yay! :)

BuddyChrist83 said:
Regarding the end of Amazing Spider-Man #510:

Holy shit. I'd guessed the pregnancy bit, but, oh man. So awesome. Even if this turns out to be an elaborate hoax, it's still great. Could these be Parker's offspring? If not, who?

I picked up...a lot of comics today. Also snagged Bone, because I got it for only $3 more than Amazon.com and I could have it now instead of ...whenever.

I didn't have the cash for Superman, could someone spoil The Vanishing for me? Thanks :)

equus is a ............human being. but more than that during the fight with equus, superman uncovered mass graves of people that were killed by this guy that took over the country were they are in. more importantly, equus seemed to be afraid of something (what exactly, im not sure) and during the fight he activated the machine which causes the vanishing and 300,000 other people went poof. at the end that special forces dude that was in #205 gets a message to superman to have him bring the vanishing machine to him. superman complies (i guess hoping to get some answers) or maybe to work out a deal or something. next up, the JLA.

nomoment

What did I say after the first issue of Azzarello's Superman?

It's going to SUCK. And it's going to SUCK HARD. I'm glad I didn't waste any money on those issues.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
I found the revelation in Amazing Spider to be incredibly underwhelming and predictable. I'm quiet honestly tired of the villan who misguided or not
threatens everyone from Peter's life
. Bleh, still I'm willing to follow this one through... and I'm staying FAR away from Spectacular, I continue to pretend that book takes place in some other universe.

Alucard

Banned
Alright, so I went to the shop today (not my regular one but it was closer and I wanted to save on time and gas) and picked up the following:

Astonishing X-Men #2 - Wow. Just wow. Whedon knows these characters inside and out, and it totally shows here. Plus, the artwork is seriously some of the best I have laid my eyes on. This shits all over Ultimate X-Men...even over Vaughan's last arc, which is merely "decent" in the wake of Astonishing.

Astonishing X-Men #3 - Chant with me now: WHEDON! WHEDON! WHEDON! Again, totally awesome with an ending that makes me want issue #4 NOW. I'm still really curious to see what direction Emma takes, what role Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. will play in this whole affair, and just what will happen next in general. This could quite possibly the best monthly book I'm reading right now. And that's saying a lot considering how much I'm enjoying Ex Machina right now.

I also picked up Birds of Prey #70 and will read it shortly. The rest of my haul will be taken in either tomorrow or Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom