• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheska

I know I talked about Morning Glories in here before, but I had just picked up the first two volumes and hadn't dug in yet. Well, about a week later and I've gone through 19 issues and am way addicted. Yes, it's bat shit crazy but I'm anxious to find out what the fuck these crazy supernatural people are up to.

Also, where's Satchy? :(

Owzers

I know I talked about Morning Glories in here before, but I had just picked up the first two volumes and hadn't dug in yet. Well, about a week later and I've gone through 19 issues and am way addicted. Yes, it's bat shit crazy but I'm anxious to find out what the fuck these crazy supernatural people are up to.

My biggest complaint with Morning Glories is that it wasn't released as a 100 issue omnibus from the beginning.

Tizoc

Thanks, will check em out

Mind you the tone of Giffen's JL is VERY DIFFERENT from Morrison and the books you've read. I'd suggest starting with the 2 tpbs I mentioned then if you like them go back and read his run (which is collected in TPB).

Owzers

If you could only buy one of these for September dcbs pre-orders, what would you get?

Metabarons Ultimate Collected Edition ( previews say standard HC, but it might be tpb) I've heard good things about this but am pretty unfamiliar with the quality. $32.97. 45% off special

Age of Apocalypse tpb collecting the first 6 issues along with 19.1 of Uncanny X-force - Read the first issue and 19.1, thought it was good. $8.49, 50% off special.

Venom: The Savage Six tpb collecting 15-22 of Remender/Bunn's run, the last of the Remender issues i think. Looks good, though reviews are mixed, the first 5 issues were good at least, Spidey Island tie-ins not so much. $10.49, standard 40% discount

kswiston

It will stil be a fridge, but WTF? I finally fall in love with Rulk, and he loses his book. That and JiMystery ending royally sucks ass. :(

I was looking at the June Top 300 Comics sales and was shocked to see how low Journey into Mystery was selling. If it was not Marvel's lowest selling superhero ongoing, it was close to it. From all of the talk the book gets here and on other comic sites and forums, I figured it was a doing alright. Just another example of the disconnect between internet comic fans and comic fans overall I guess. I wonder what percentage of comic buyers are dudes who buy Avengers, Uncanny X-men, Batman, etc because they have done so for decades, and not because they really get any enjoyment out of reading the issues (not that all of those series are bad. They just go through long stretches of being bad between good runs/stories).

If you could only buy one of these for September dcbs pre-orders, what would you get?

Metabarons Ultimate Collected Edition ( previews say standard HC, but it might be tpb) I've heard good things about this but am pretty unfamiliar with the quality. $32.97. 45% off special

Age of Apocalypse tpb collecting the first 6 issues along with 19.1 of Uncanny X-force - Read the first issue and 19.1, thought it was good. $8.49, 50% off special.

Venom: The Savage Six tpb collecting 15-22 of Remender/Bunn's run, the last of the Remender issues i think. Looks good, though reviews are mixed, the first 5 issues were good at least, Spidey Island tie-ins not so much. $10.49, standard 40% discount

hmmm, are there other options???

Secret option D,save your money?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Whoa, this is being reprinted in an affordable package. I might have to jump on that after all the hype.

bangai-o

Banned
really good issue of Conan

ConanTheBarbarian6.jpg

also, i recieved an email saying that American Vampire is continuing as Lord of Nightmares. I had thought that Lord of Nightmares would just be a mini while the regular series in continuing. which is it?

kswiston

I haven't read AoA yet, and stopped reading Venom after issue 14, so I can't comment on the quality of those trades. However, I will probably pick up the Venom book at some point since I want to see where Remender's Jack-o-lantern stuff goes. That said, there is a huge difference between $33 and $8.50-10.50. I would probably grab one of the Marvel trades since they are a quarter to a third of the price. If you aren't worried about being disappointed, I would imagine that the Metabarons trade will be harder to find going forward. The marvel stuff will be on Amazon for around the same price as above for at least a year after release. I am just cheap.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Geoff Johns was talking Green Lantern at a panel:

Johns then said that the rise of the Third Army is a prologue to an even bigger story he's planning for down the road.

It's just bigger and bigger events in that realm. I haven't picked up anything Green Lantern since Blackest Night. It's getting harder for me to get motivated and catch up. Everything feels samey. New enemy force enters the universe, everyone fights, things calm down, rinse and repeat.

really good issue of Conan

[/img]http://comicbookcritic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ConanTheBarbarian6.jpg[/img]

also, i recieved an email saying that American Vampire is continuing as Lord of Nightmares. I had thought that Lord of Nightmares would just be a mini while the regular series in continuing. which is it?

Lord of Nightmares is just a mini. There must have been a mistake. Based on October solicitations, Lord of Nightmares ends as expected and American Vampire will finish off its current arc in November.

Owzers

Geoff Johns was talking Green Lantern at a panel:

It's just bigger and bigger events in that realm. I haven't picked up anything Green Lantern since Blackest Night. It's getting harder for me to get motivated and catch up. Everything feels samey. New enemy force enters the universe, everyone fights, things calm down, rinse and repeat.

I'm guessing that instead of the different corps teaming up or Kyle using all the rings, a member of each team will combine their souls together to form a megalantern, like in power rangers.

And for the trades thing, there is indeed a secret option D of not buying any, but i'll probably get one. I also have a couple September trades on pre-order through amazon, namely Flash vol 1, I,Vampire vol 1 tpb, Unwritten tpb vol 6 and Avengers Vs X-Men OHC. I'm likely to cancel both Flash and AvX since i don't like AvX so far, just wanted to lock in the 50% off price incase i did. I also want to get an ipad retina display for digital comics...but they cost a ton.

I was looking forward to the Cup O' Joe panel but the announcements are all kinda meh, mostly the mystery October AvX wrap-up that was posted earlier in Previews. A+X from Loeb and Slott, an ongoing that is apparently a team-up book, AvX Consequences 5 issue all in October book from Gillen, and a one-shot AvX Babies by Young. I'll get the one-shot perhaps, doubt i'll bother with the other two.

Still waiting for a Red Hulk announcement. They said in the Red She-Hulk interview that one was forthcoming.

Not sure how not happened but I'm in love with Thunderbolt Ross.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Still waiting for a Red Hulk announcement. They said in the Red She-Hulk interview that one was forthcoming.

Not sure how not happened but I'm in love with Thunderbolt Ross.

Maybe you fancy men with really thick mustaches?

Anyone who got the new iPad absolutely love using it for reading comics? I have been buying more comics on Comixology than I did with physical issues. Just got the The Walking Dead Omnibus 2 & 3 on there with the half-off sale.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Anyone who got the new iPad absolutely love using it for reading comics? I have been buying more comics on Comixology than I did with physical issues. Just got the The Walking Dead Omnibus 2 & 3 on there with the half-off sale.

my girl is reading Bone (her first comic!) on her new iPad and i'm super jelly. i read a ton of comics on my iPad 2 but i really feel like i'm missing out after seeing that retina screen.

Owzers

Why has entertainment con been such a bore so far?

well, strictly comics it's been:

DC: Buy our zero issues, they are neat. Sandman Gaiman mini will be awesome in the year 3000.

Marvel: Announces Marvel Now! before the Con, changes name to Marvel Later!, reminds everyone to buy all their post-AvX pre-Now! AvX wrap-up stuff.

Other companies : not really sure.

Movies/TV: Something new for Firefly? Reboot that may or may not even be serious? I dunno.

Which Moebius book should I get? Airtight Garage, Incal or Arzach? They are a bit expensive so i can't buy them all (for now). I read The Long Tomorrow and Is Man Good and loved them - just wish them were a bit longer.

tm24

Which Moebius book should I get? Airtight Garage, Incal or Arzach? They are a bit expensive so i can't buy them all (for now). I read The Long Tomorrow and Is Man Good and loved them - just wish them were a bit longer.

Im a big fan of Incal myself

Then you still think Loeb is writing him. The book has been excellent since he left.

Fuck that noise.

The book was excellent when Loeb was writing it. Sorry tired and true sore assed fanboys. Rulk punking the MU was fantastic.

Parker going in and apologizing to butthurt fanboys with his first story arc invalidated any shits I would have given about his run. Plus terrible fucking art didn't offer any incentive for giving of additional shits.

The first 25 issues of Rulk was like being married to Sophia Vergara and smanging that ass from dusk till dawn. Then you wake up one morning next to Juliet Lewis and her crackpipe and you wonder when the dream ended and the nightmare began?!

Dropping Rulk and focusing on She-Rulk and having a competent illustrator could be what the book needs to stop being apologetic fantard balls.

Plus boobies!

I will read this bullshit at the liberry fo sho!

Pre-ordered Woodwork. I need to make some more money and get the IDW Ditko biography that is due out soon, and a copy of Coop's Idle Hands. Time to draw some tittays!

Parallax

Fuck that noise.

The book was excellent when Loeb was writing it. Sorry tired and true sore assed fanboys. Rulk punking the MU was fantastic.

Parker going in and apologizing to butthurt fanboys with his first story arc invalidated any shits I would have given about his run. Plus terrible fucking art didn't offer any incentive for giving of additional shits.

The first 25 issues of Rulk was like being married to Sophia Vergara and smanging that ass from dusk till dawn. Then you wake up one morning next to Juliet Lewis and her crackpipe and you wonder when the dream ended and the nightmare began?!

Dropping Rulk and focusing on She-Rulk and having a competent illustrator could be what the book needs to stop being apologetic fantard balls.

Red hulk became garbage when he punched out uatu. The rest is just bullshit ice cream on the bullshit cake.

Red hulk became garbage when he punched out uatu. The rest is just bullshit ice cream on the bullshit cake.

I liken the Rulk run to Garth Ennis's Marvel Knights Punisher when Frank was punking Spiderman, Wolverine, and Daredevil.

Rabid fanthings can't stand to see the order of their bagged, boarded, and in continuity aspergers upset.

Troll character be trollin'!

Parallax

I liken the Rulk run to Garth Ennis's Marvel Knights Punisher when Frank was punking Spiderman, Wolverine, and Daredevil.

Rabid fanthings can't stand to see the order of their bagged, boarded, and in continuity aspergers upset.

Troll character be trollin'!

So you're just trolling to troll now?

ReiGun

I just marathoned "Nextwave" on MDCU.

Why are there only 12 issues of this? Why must I be denied things I love? :(

Satch

Banned

???

Loeb loving silliness

No Parker saved that broken character and made him readable, and not so much a Saturday Morning cartoon failed experiment. Loeb has no fucking clue. I got more action from slamming my action figures together in the tub when I was 8. And it made more sense.

Thunderbolt Ross for the first time in his long long history has character, motivation, and heart.

The compentent illustrator you're talking about has already done excellent work on Parker's superior Red Hulk. I'm staying on the book, and grabbing whatever book Red Hulk ends up on.

HULK_50_Preview1.jpg

Nesotenso

No Parker saved that broken character and made him readable, and not so much a Saturday Morning cartoon failed experiment. Loeb has no fucking clue. I got more action from slamming my action figures together in the tub when I was 8. And it made more sense.

Thunderbolt Ross for the first time in his long long history has character, motivation, and heart.

The compentent illustrator you're talking about has already done excellent work on Parker's superior Red Hulk. I'm staying on the book, and grabbing whatever book Red Hulk ends up on.
I liked Loeb's run but Parker's run has been infinitely better. Is the artist people are talking about Hardman ? I love that dude's work.

I liked Loeb's run but Parker's run has been infinitely better. Is the artist people are talking about Hardman ? I love that dude's work.

Loeb's Red Hulk was the equivalent of Miller's All-Star Batman. At least Axe Cop was honest about its origins.

The artist is the phenom, Carlos Pagulayan.

Typical Internet Loeb hating screed.

Parker, like Slott sounds great in interviews; but whenever I read their stuff it just falls flat. For Parker it doesn't help he's paired with god awful cartoonists. Slott on the other hand is paired with a fantastic art team, but the god awful Sinister Six re-designs and the seeming need to always stick Caselli with some shitty non-standard Spidey costume just blows ass.

I want to see red and blue Spidey punching electric mask Electro! Not some power ranger rejects like some terrible Sam Raimi movie, and Doc Ock that looks like a buttplug.

Oh well. Don't mean shit to me.

I divorced myself from Spiderman in 1991. You can't go home again.

In news relevant to my interests, but certain to piss me off - more Gipsy has been published! IN GERMAN!! ASLKJAJLKKLJ:A:JLKHJ@:JH!HJ!:HJ!:HJ!HJ!HJKJ:FSHJSDJFSH:FDS:HJ:HJ!! >:O Essen mein scheisse!

tLXrV.jpg

Xox6l.jpg

ia7cT.jpg

I NEED MORE MARINI IN MY LIFE!

Have you read the reasons behind Ock's redesign? The rest of the Sinister Six is exactly the same just stronger.

And Slott's run is a thing of beauty. He emphasizes Peter's intelligence and why the new suits. It allows Peter to be more adaptable and on top of that some of them are pretty cool.

Have you read the reasons behind Ock's redesign? The rest of the Sinister Six is exactly the same just stronger.

And Slott's run is a thing of beauty. He emphasizes Peter's intelligence and why the new suits. It allows Peter to be more adaptable and on top of that some of them are pretty cool.

Agree 100%. Peter's character and personality is being explored again for the first time in decades. Slott can do no wrong here.

But I loved Slott's Mighty Avengers and She Hulk as well.... So I may be a little biased.

And from what I read of Parker's Rulk was much better than the deus ex machina that Loeb wrote.

But I loved Slott's Mighty Avengers and She Hulk as well.... So I may be a little biased.

And from what I read of Parker's Rulk was much better than the deus ex machina that Loeb wrote.

Never read his Shulkie, but his Mighty Avengers was the only great Avengers book being printed for such a long time. Scientist Supreme, man!

Now I want to read his Shulkie. Parker is Marvel's unsung writing hero, when a lot of others are overhyped and so very hit or miss (Fraction).

Parker, like Slott sounds great in interviews; but whenever I read their stuff it just falls flat. For Parker it doesn't help he's paired with god awful cartoonists. Slott on the other hand is paired with a fantastic art team, but the god awful Sinister Six re-designs and the seeming need to always stick Caselli with some shitty non-standard Spidey costume just blows ass.

How do you like Marini and not Kev Walker? Dark Thunderbolts is the best book on the stands now, with the double punch of Walker and Shalvey. Your Parker Hypothesis: FLAWED.

Nope.

Like I said - I divorced myself from the Spiderman comics in 1991. After 21 years of not giving a shit, it's hard to resume giving any shits.

Plus Buttplug Doc Ock reminds me of the shitty Raimi movie Matrix Doc Ock. >:|

These are calories better burned trying to seek out Caselli's Italian Playboy comics.

In all fairness, I really can't go back to any Marvel comics I used to read as a kid. It's just not the same, and by that I don't mean to imply - "See! These characters that never change really do change!" It's just after 21 years of not reading them, going back and seeing buttplug Doc Ock and Vagina Wolverine just rings false to my fan ear. Additionally all the political correctness mandates that have been passed down in those 21 years negatively impact what I remember of the characters - Vagina Wolverine can no longer smoke and drink, but hey! He can still murder the shit out of some dudes (off panel).

Stay Puritanical free Amercia!

How do you like Marini and not Kev Walker? Dark Thunderbolts is the best book on the stands now, with the double punch of Walker and Shalvey. Your Parker Hypothesis: FLAWED.

Firstly, if the dude is wasting his talents on Dark Thunderbolts - do you really think anybody is going to know who he is? Ignoring shitty comics, I went a looked him up on comicartfans.com and I don't see much of a resemblance art wise. :\

Official Response: Your face is a butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom