• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! July |OT| - Independents Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim1138

I thought I would ask here instead of creating a new thread:

1) Do Comixology sell digital comics to international customers? I am in the UK
2) Do you have to be online to read the comics or do you download them to your device, I'm interested in getting hold of a Nexus 7.
3) Are the digital comics identical in content to the physical ones? For example, would Criminal have the essays in the back and the Walking Dead have the letters pages?

I used to read a variety of comics but at the moment I only really read whatever the Brubaker and Phillips combo releases but I will probably get back into more series and am looking to go digital.

Can't comment on international sales, but yeah when you use the app on a phone or tablet, you download the books and can read them offline.
The content is the same as the print books minus the ads.

I know its dumb to say, but that deadpool talks too much.

I know Deadpool fans don't want to hear it, but DP was better as a Deathstroke wanna-be and not a Bugs Bunny wanna-be.

This just makes his more easy to confuse with Spiderman. :|

There was a nice con down in Kentucky I think as well. Cincinnati is a bit of a haul though from the Northeast of the State.

Although it is near the only Ikea in Ohio so there is that, but if I have a passenger there's no room for display cases. :(

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I know Deadpool fans don't want to hear it, but DP was better as a Deathstroke wanna-be and not a Bugs Bunny wanna-be.

This just makes his more easy to confuse with Spiderman. :|

I like the humor, and the idea of a crazy assassin trying to make sense of the world he exists in, but I don't like the bang bang sounds or the dueling speech bubbles. It was a bad addition the first time, and its looks weird in action. Especially when he looks at the bubbles when they form.

I would pay 5 dollars for a DD sketch card easily

It seemed like a good idea at the time:

sketchcard_daredevil01.jpg

I like the humor, and the idea of a crazy assassin trying to make sense of the world he exists in, but I don't like the bang bang sounds or the dueling speech bubbles. It was a bad addition the first time, and its looks weird in action. Especially when he looks at the bubbles when they form.

Sounds like the comic to me!

Cheska

I saw some of you talking about Secret Six in here so I looked it up and it looks interesting, plus I like Gail Simone. Now the question is, does anyone know which volume is the first or where to start? Unlike other collections that tell you which issues are included in the books, the ones on Amazon don't specify :(

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I saw some of you talking about Secret Six in here so I looked it up and it looks interesting, plus I like Gail Simone. Now the question is, does anyone know which volume is the first or where to start? Unlike other collections that tell you which issues are included in the books, the ones on Amazon don't specify :(

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

Six Degrees of Devastation (collects 6-issue limited series, 144 pages, DC Comics, March 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1231-X)[20]
Unhinged (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #1-7, 168 pages, DC Comics, August 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2327-3)[21]
Depths (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #8-14, 168 pages, DC Comics, April 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2599-3)[22]
Danse Macabre (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #15-18 and Suicide Squad #67, 128 pages, DC Comics, October 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2904-7)[23]
Cat's in the Cradle (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #19-24, 144 pages, DC Comics, January 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3021-0)[24]
The Reptile Brain (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #25-29, and Action Comics #896, 144 pages, DC Comics, May 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3166-7)
The Darkest House (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #30-36, and Doom Patrol #19, 176 pages, DC Comics, January 2012, ISBN 9781401233624)

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Deadpool says all kinds of crazy stuff. His word balloons talk to each other. He is aware of the word balloons (all depending who is writing him).

him having more than one word balloon is part of the reason i stopped reading his books. i dont mind that he says random shit, but making him a random meme generation/ michael winslow impersonator i dont care for.

Cheska

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

Six Degrees of Devastation (collects 6-issue limited series, 144 pages, DC Comics, March 2008, ISBN 1-4012-1231-X)[20]
Unhinged (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #1-7, 168 pages, DC Comics, August 2009, ISBN 1-4012-2327-3)[21]
Depths (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #8-14, 168 pages, DC Comics, April 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2599-3)[22]
Danse Macabre (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #15-18 and Suicide Squad #67, 128 pages, DC Comics, October 2010, ISBN 1-4012-2904-7)[23]
Cat's in the Cradle (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #19-24, 144 pages, DC Comics, January 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3021-0)[24]
The Reptile Brain (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #25-29, and Action Comics #896, 144 pages, DC Comics, May 2011, ISBN 1-4012-3166-7)
The Darkest House (collects Secret Six vol. 3, #30-36, and Doom Patrol #19, 176 pages, DC Comics, January 2012, ISBN 9781401233624)

Should have figured they would have something like that on their website. Thanks friend!

thumbnail.php

Loved this. A delicious blend of noir, horror and sci-fi with defined characters, crisp art and a cliffhanger that'll leave you wanting more.

Okay, so I bought Secret Six issues #1 through #7 and #10 through #14. So I now have the Nicola Scott drawn issues that I'd been searching for. I haven't started reading them but it's next on the list after I finish Green Lantern V4. I did have a few more questions though.

Following the initial purchase, I'm looking to grab Secret Six issues #15 through #22, #25 through #28 and #31 through #36. That's every issue bar #8, #9, #23, #24, #29 and #30. From a little research, it looks as though those are just standalone issues. Are there any other issues of those I have in mind to buy, that are not necessary to read or worth buying? The Blackest Night tie-in for example? I've read some unfavourable reviews of that particular arc. Or of the issues I've skipped out on, are any worth/necessary reading? I'm just trying to minimise the spending.

thumbnail.php

Loved this. A delicious blend of noir, horror and sci-fi with defined characters, crisp art and a cliffhanger that'll leave you wanting more.

No doubt brah incredible comic as well as the one shot Enormous.

Punk Rock Jesus was absolute pathetic in the previews, but oh my heck was this comics making craftsmanship at it's finest in issue form. Incredible, so glad I blind bought it.

tm24

Okay, so I bought Secret Six issues #1 through #7 and #10 through #14. So I now have the Nicola Scott drawn issues that I'd been searching for. I haven't started reading them but it's next on the list after I finish Green Lantern V4. I did have a few more questions though.

Following the initial purchase, I'm looking to grab Secret Six issues #15 through #22, #25 through #28 and #31 through #36. That's every issue bar #8, #9, #23, #24, #29 and #30. From a little research, it looks as though those are just standalone issues. Are there any other issues of those I have in mind to buy, that are not necessary to read or worth buying? The Blackest Night tie-in for example? I've read some unfavourable reviews of that particular arc. Or of the issues I've skipped out on, are any worth/necessary reading? I'm just trying to minimise the spending.
Its a horrible secret six issue. It's also an amazing Suicide Squad issue

I wouldn't advise skipping any of the issues. Even the standalone issues have great character moments, and S6 is all about the characters.

Tell me about Enormous. There were no copies at my shop.

First off, it is ENORMOUS bigger than a calendar. The art has some computer effects in it, but there is a lot of varitation in terms of hues and washed out look. Bunch of Final Fantasy style beasts running around in disaster torn areas. Don't want to spoil anything on it because I bought it without looking at the solicit or previews.

Huh, sounds like something else. I'll keep my eyes open for a reprint.

Also, I was just reading about Epic Kill, which has recently been changed to ongoing status, and that series sounds great.

Damn. Too much good stuff coming from Image.

Today's Marvel Monday is Guardians of the Galaxy! As someone who has no experience with the franchise, but invested interest thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is this where I jump on?

As for Secret Six, I deliberated too much and missed out on the .99 cent discount. Oops! I had everything in my cart but couldn't make up my mind. When I checked out, I was charged $1.99 for each issue, even though the cart total stated $21.73, I was charged $43.87 to my card. Has anyone had this happen? I've sent an email to customer support in hopes of having the charge reversed. What are the chances?

I'm happy with the Nicola Scott issues I bought though and I'll keep my eyes and ears open to news of an omnibus collection.

kswiston

Today's Marvel Monday is Guardians of the Galaxy! As someone who has no experience with the franchise, but invested interest thanks to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, is this where I jump on?

The series is much more enjoyable if you have read Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest first. Do you have a Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited subscription? If so you can read most of Marvel Cosmic on there (including all of the books below). Subs are $10 a month or $60 for the year.

Anyhow, reading order is:

1) Annihilation Prologue
2) Annihilation minis: Nova (most important), Silver Surfer, Super Skrull, Ronan
3) Annihilation main series

Optional and recommended) Nova 1-6

4) Annihilation Conquest Prologue
5) Annihilation Conquest Minis: Quasar, Starlord (most important), Wraith
6) Annihilation Conquest main series

7) Guardians of the Galaxy and Nova ongoings starting with #1 and #7 respectively.

Finally wrapped Gotham Central. Incredible series, give me a live action HBO series or something, goddamn

Did too, a few days ago.
Such a page turner. If they want to reboot Batman after DKR, this is the way to go.

I immediately bought Fatale, and the first two Criminal TPBs.

Is there any other Brubaker/Phillips collab i should check out?

Owzers

I'm giving Zenoscopes' Return to Wonderland #0 a try to see if its worth buying during the sale...

Also, Guardians of the Galaxy is a good book that struggled a little when it came to being a War of Kings tie-in...and it came out of Annihilation Conquest which wasn't that good. I'd jump right in to GotG and don't worry about what happened before, though the original Annihilation event was great if you have the ability to read it in MDCU/library/trade.

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Can't comment on international sales, but yeah when you use the app on a phone or tablet, you download the books and can read them offline.
The content is the same as the print books minus the ads.
Thanks for the reply :)

Did too, a few days ago.
Such a page turner. If they want to reboot Batman after DKR, this is the way to go.

I immediately bought Fatale, and the first two Criminal TPBs.

Is there any other Brubaker/Phillips collab i should check out?

There is Incognito, but I didn't enjoy that as much, many people feel the same way. You should definitely also check out Sleeper which is an excellent series and is thankfully getting a hardcover omnibus next year. Brubaker/Phillips are my favourite guys in the industry, after reading their work most other comics feel like such a comedown that I don't bother with them. It's a shame they can only release one comic a month together due to time constraints.

Can anyone recommend some comics by other creators for a fan of Brubaker/Phillips work? I'm interested in something that is mature, gritty and is very well drawn and coloured.

Owzers

Do they have to be crime comics?

American Vampire and Locke and Key might be worth checking out for you. Maybe Kirkman's Thief of Thieves?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Can anyone recommend some comics by other creators for a fan of Brubaker/Phillips work? I'm interested in something that is mature, gritty and is very well drawn and coloured.

On top of other suggestions, how about Greg Rucka's stuff? He co-wrote Gotham Central with Brubaker. Queen & Country (b&w), Whiteout (b&w) and Stumptown (color).

On top of other suggestions, how about Greg Rucka's stuff? He co-wrote Gotham Central with Brubaker. Queen & Country (b&w), Whiteout (b&w) and Stumptown (color).

Yes, all of these.

AND most importantly, above all else,
DARWYN COOKE'S PARKER BOOKS.

The finest the medium has to offer.

Greg Rucka talks 'Punisher War Zone' at SDCC (Comic Book Resources)

"The stories are related, but one is not predicated on the other. You can pick up 'War Zone' and understand what's going on if you haven't read 'Punisher,'" Rucka told CBR News. "If you read 'Punisher' through issue #16 though, you will have a better understanding of how Frank finds himself in the position that he's in at the beginning of 'War Zone.'"

The aftermath of "The Punisher" #14-16 creates the situation that forces the Avengers to pay attention to Frank Castle. Being targeted by Earth's Mightiest Heroes is an intimidating scenario, but it's one the Punisher has prepared for.

"I don't think Frank is at all surprised when this happens. He knew it was inevitable, but he of course has a contingency plan. He's got a contingency plan for everything. That doesn't mean Frank is happy with the situation though," Rucka remarked. "I never felt that Frank looks at the heroes with contempt. I don't think he looks at the Avengers and says, 'You guys are laughable.' When Galactus shows up Frank is not up to the task of defending the Earth. So if hammers fall from the sky, which has happened recently, that's outside of his bailiwick."

The heroes that confront Frank Castle won't be happy to deal with him either, because the Punisher isn't like their typical adversaries. It will prove more than a little difficult to prevent him from carrying out his agenda.

"The heroes that regularly run into the Punisher, like Spider-Man and Daredevil, would have brought him in a long time ago if they thought bringing him in would do any good. As I have said elsewhere and many others have said as well, what do you do with him? Send him to prison? Great, that's a paid holiday for a guy like Frank. The beds are more comfortable, the food is better, he's getting regular meals, and everybody he needs to kill is right there. So what's the other alternative? It's not to kill him. They cannot become him. They're heroes," Rucka said. "So while this series looks like it's been dipped in the heroes-fighting-heroes-sauce, it isn't as simple as that. This is not an excuse for Frank Castle to go beat up the Avengers. Nor is it an excuse for the Avengers to beat up on each other or Frank Castle. There's more going on here. The members of the Avengers will have differing opinions on how they should handle this.
Cannot wait, it sounds right up my alley. From the way he's talking it sounds like Greg Rucka will be ending his Punisher run with this event, don't know if that's been made official or not... sadface.gif if true. Also, no mention of Rachel Alves; hope that doesn't mean what I think it does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom