• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| December 2013. Spiking the eggnog, and not telling Stark about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rivera is just...the best

MAGNETO001-b1a87.jpg

Eldren

My copy of the Nowhere Men trade arrived today. I'm really glad people here convinced me to check it out, it looks awesome. Weird science, newspaper cuttings, really cool art, corporate ads, gorgeous splash pages, what's not to like?

Also that Rivera cover is fantastic.

arkon

Dude, what the fuck is up with Scarlet? It's on hiatus for a year, they release two issues, and then it disappears again. Maleev was rocking it on that book.

Bendis' recent creator-owned work has a spotty record. Look forward to his new series with Oeming!

Hi everyone, just wanted to chime in and see how you were all handling your digital comics. I use comixology and have basically filled up my 64 GB iPad. I set the app to keep the limit to 30 GB, and it's constantly warning me that I'm hitting the limit. It's kind of annoying. I wanted to keep everything loaded on my iPad, but gave up.

Also, what are your buying habits? For non big 2, like Image, I usually wait a month for the price to drop to $1.99. For DC, I have to wait 2 months, and it's really, really annoying. Man, I wish comixology would set up an alert service for series that let you know when their prices were reduced! For Marvel, I either buy on release date if it's a $2.99 series, or I get the physical issue at my local comic store with a pull discount if it's $3.99. If Marvel did a consistent 1 or 2 month price drop, I would switch completely to digital because my physical comics are just sitting in a stack, untouched and unloved.

Also, is it just me or is the comixology app really bad now? I have to manually shut down and re-open it to refresh the store.

Omg, I would love to stop buying floppies. What's the best tablet to go with for comic perusal?

No no, you keep buying floppies to support your local comic book store. Then you use the code to get the digital version and give away the floppy. Or turn them into makeshift shelters or forts. Whatever you like.

But don't stop buying floppies, ever.

(I have an iPad and it rocks socks for comics)

Owzers

I griped about the comixology not refreshing on its own thing before, i can only assume a previous update making it work better with ios 7 messed it up, unless it's only messed up for ios 6 people.

I mainly buy digital issues on comixology when they are 99 cents, print monthly or trades for everything else, and marvel 3.99 digital code print books, all from dcbs. The only new things i buy on comixology without 99 cent sales are digital only books.

sidenote: DCBS put their new pre-order cycle up and there's too many marvel books.

I'm getting Ms Marvel and She Hulk #1s, i'm interested in New Warriors' plot, and possibly waiting on all the rest to hit MU.

Tablet world: I made my own ipad air by taking my ipad 3 out of my 0.6 lb case cover.

Eldren

Oh man, that Black Widow preview. Nathan Edmonson seems like a smart choice, and Phil Noto is a beast. Do we know who the colourist is? I liked what he/she was doing.

I mainly buy digital issues on comixology when they are 99 cents, print monthly or trades for everything else, and marvel 3.99 digital code print books, all from dcbs. The only new things i buy on comixology without 99 cent sales are digital only books.

The 99 cent sales are pretty amazing. I re-buy stuff I already have sitting on my shelf just because I love reading comics on my iPad. On a similar note, how crummy is it that Marvel thinks they can get away with charging $2.99 for their digital issues. DO they not see what DC and just about everyone else is doing with digital comics? Is it simply arrogance?

I actually haven't read the Marvel digital comics, but are they like DC's in that they are technically about 1/3 of a full issue? Was the Wolverine one worth reading? Did it sell well?

Owzers

How am i paying 2.99 for a combo 30 page dc book, but 2.39 for a combo marvel book?

This hold the line crap got terrible fast.

I haven't tried the Wolverine digital only title, i think it is short counts like DC's digital books. Marvel Unlimited is the best marvel digital deal, the app works well on ipad but not android. It is a shame that Marvel isn't aggressive at all in digital pricing for current issues.

How am i paying 2.99 for a combo 30 page dc book, but 2.39 for a combo marvel book?

This hold the line crap got terrible fast.

I haven't tried the Wolverine digital only title, i think it is short counts like DC's digital books. Marvel Unlimited is the best marvel digital deal, the app works well on ipad but not android. It is a shame that Marvel isn't aggressive at all in digital pricing for current issues.

Huh? Aren't DCs combo books 4.99, Marvie's 3.99?

The only way people can find out who Spider-Man is is if he unmask himself to them.

I believe this was do to a spell Doctor Strange cast and was established a LONG time ago.

That spell doesn't work since Spider-Island. In that saga, Peter technically revealed himself for everyone again, so the spell was broken.

But nobody suddenly remembered that he was Spider-Man. What happens is that anyone can discover, by just taking clues and putting them together. That is why Carlie discovered that Peter was Spider-Man without him taking off the mask in front of her.

Earth 2 was fantastic, Action Comics was alright, Batman Superman was really good, and Green Lantern is Hal Jordan just continuing to be terrible at the things he does. Still have a few more comics to read.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Apologies in advance, but I'm nowhere as invested in the X-Men comics as I used to be. Has Magneto ever buckled down and acknowledged Cyclops (new-ish) alpha-male status?

Apologies in advance, but I'm nowhere as invested in the X-Men comics as I used to be. Has Magneto ever buckled down and acknowledged Cyclops (new-ish) alpha-male status?

I always thought that was a bit extreme, but ever since then he's mostly been following Cyke's leadership...although recent events like his daughter getting killed make it sound like dark ass Magneto shit bout to go down soon

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member

Yes. Around the time their island nation Utopia was founded and he joined.

They're on a team together but he's been hanging back quite a bit. But you don't get the impression it's out of deference. I wouldn't surprised if this new series is about him forging his own path and chafing at Cyclops' ascendance.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
When I said "buckled down" I didn't literally mean that he'd be on his knees. That's almost...disappointing.

Owzers

When I said "buckled down" I didn't literally mean that he'd be on his knees. That's almost...disappointing.

you got what you were looking for, now you have to live with it. It was either that or bring young scott summers to the future to tell off current summers for the bad decisions he made.

Pick ups this week, plus The Wolverine Extended Cut.

Marvel Comics
Amazing X-Men #2
Avengers Annual #1
Deadpool #20
Young Avengers #13

Image Comics
Velvet #2

Dark Horse Comics
Grindhouse #3
Hellboy in Hell #5

Other Publishers
Rover Red Charlie #1 (Avatar)

Haven't looked at everything, but Velvet and Deadpool are early frontrunners for best books. Velvet has all the trappings of a spy thriller masterpiece, and the "Kirby does Deadpool" shenanigans are just so much nostalgic, self-indulgent fun.

Haven't looked at everything, but Velvet and Deadpool are early frontrunners for best books. Velvet has all the trappings of a spy thriller masterpiece, and the "Kirby does Deadpool" shenanigans are just so much nostalgic, self-indulgent fun.

I've never read a Deadpool book and heard mixed things about the Duggan/Posehn run when it started. I enjoyed the bite-sized morsel of Deadpool in Uncanny X-Force but can't really remember any other appearance of his that I enjoyed. When it comes to humor, I like Sex Criminals, Hawkeye, and Saga, so do you think I should give the current Deadpool series a try?

Because I need yet another comic series to overwhelm my iPad.

I've never read a Deadpool book and heard mixed things about the Duggan/Posehn run when it started. I enjoyed the bite-sized morsel of Deadpool in Uncanny X-Force but can't really remember any other appearance of his that I enjoyed. When it comes to humor, I like Sex Criminals, Hawkeye, and Saga, so do you think I should give the current Deadpool series a try?

Read Superior Foes of Spider-Man.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Yes. Opinions are mixed on the Dead Presidents arc, you'll either love it or hate it, but everything after that has been great. They've been giving us the Deadpool everyone's wanted to see and I don't think anyone can complain about the book at this point. They've been killing it.

Grab this too, but if I had to pick between them I'd go with Deadpool.

Already reading it. It's as good as Hawkeye but getting none of the praise!

Yes. Opinions are mixed on the Dead Presidents arc, you'll either love it or hate it, but everything after that has been great. They've been giving us the Deadpool everyone's wanted to see and I don't think anyone can complain about the book at this point. They've been killing it.

Hmmm, ok then, I will give it a try! I'm loving the resurgence of snark in comics.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Already reading it. It's as good as Hawkeye but getting none of the praise!

Hmmm, ok then, I will give it a try! I'm loving the resurgence of snark in comics.

If you don't like Dead Presidents, which is very possible, just skip to the first issue after that arc finishes up. It's a 70's throwback issue which everyone agrees was straight up amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom