• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2013. "Read more comics"? Now that's a resolution I can keep!

Status
Not open for further replies.
pcJbL.png

P16yJ.png

Well, here we are. A new year, and a new (if admittedly familiar) format for the OT. If it wasn't already obvious, I am not The Take Out Bandit (though skip ahead to the end for a proposed homage I thought would be nice). Personally I prefer a little more structure in the OP, and the opportunity to be informative regarding current monthly offerings, rather than creative themes or general recommendations. If you've got any suggested changes or improvements I'm open to hearing them, however; I'm EXTREMELY open to the idea of others taking over in future months, and bringing their own style to the OT as TToB did so incredibly well. Because while the new format is one I think can be easily maintained on a monthly basis, that doesn't mean I want to be the designated thread-maker. Again.

Let's get to it shall we? Here are some of the spotlight titles from each publisher for January:

MR6n8.png

4OiUZ.jpg

AUTfH.jpg

+New Avengers #1 & 2 by Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting (Jan. 2, Jan. 16). The team from Fantastic Four and FF strikes again, reuniting Marvel's brain trust to save the universe with big ideas. Can new member Beast fill the Professor's shoes, or will he need new ones for his cat (or should I say
ape
) feet? Will Black Panther kill Namor now, or later? Tune in and find out!
+All-New X-Men #5 & 6 by Brian Michael Bendis, Stuart Immonen and David Marquez (Jan. 2, Jan. 16). The original five return to the Jean Grey School with an X-Man's life hanging in the balance! Will Beast survive? I'm guessing yes since he's starring in the book above this one. Plus, young Jean Grey finds out why everyone looks at her funny.
+Thor: God of Thunder #4 by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic (Jan. 9). Old Man Thor gets his turn on center stage as he takes on the God-Butcher! Can the one-eyed, one-armed King of Asgard finally defeat his deadly nemesis? This is arguably the best new series of Marvel NOW!, so don't miss out!
+Superior Spider-Man #1 & 2 by Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman (Jan. 9, Jan. 30). After the controversial ending of Amazing Spider-Man #700, Peter Parker is no more and a new Spider-Man swings across the NYC skyline... and he is superior in every way. But is this new wall-crawler a hero, or a menace? More importantly, will the readers continue to revolt?
+Young Avengers #1 by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie (Jan. 23). Kid Loki does what a Loki does best and assembles a team of Avengers! And Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie do what they do best and create and awesome comic book! And you'll do what you do best and read it and love it, because you're awesome too!
+Hawkeye #7 by Matt Fraction and David Aja (Jan. 30). Hawkguy and Hawkgal take a break from their regularly scheduled storyline to bring us a "ripped from the headlines" tale of the Marvel Universe and Hurricane Sandy. It's gorgeous, it's funny, it's the best new comic series of 2012 so why aren't you reading it yet?

QV0uw.png

3Hi39.jpg

3FX8S.jpg

+Absolute Batman & Robin: Batman Reborn HC by Grant Morrison and others (Jan. 9). This oversized Absolute Edition hardcover collects the entirety of Morrison's Dick and Damian saga, all sixteen issues, plus the Return issue epilogue. If this run was your favorite, it might be worth looking in to.
+Dial H #8 by China Mieville, Alberto Ponticelli and Dan Green (Jan. 9). Secrets of the H-dial continue to be uncovered, but the mysterious Centipede is on our heroes' trail and looking to strike! From the cover I'm guessing the guy in the suit with after-images is the Centipede. Which must make him a b*tch to draw.
+Earth 2 #8 by James Robinson and Yildiray Cinar (Jan. 9). The villainous Steppenwolf returns to Earth-2, and brings with him the new Fury! What is her secret? Is she the so-called "Last Amazon"? Is she Wonder Woman's reanimated corpse? Is she Donna Troy, or just Lashina with a new twist? It's a brave new world, so anything is possible!
+Batman #16 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo; backup by James Tynion IV and Jonathan Glapion (Jan. 16). The "Death of the Family" saga continues, in this and the other Bat-books. Can the Dark Knight stop the Joker's dastardly scheme, or is it already too late? Who cares; the real question is what sort of antibiotics is the Joker using.
+Demon Knights #16 by Robert Venditti and Bernard Change (Jan. 16). Paul Cornell exits, and a new writer takes over... and for his opening act, Venditti picks up three-decades after the events of last issue! See what DC's temperamental D&D group have been up to after a 30 year intermission, and how time has marked them for better or worse.
+Threshold #1 by Keith Giffen, Tom Raney and Scott Kolins (Jan. 16). DC tries its hand at expanding its offerings of "cosmic" books, with a new series that stars an ex- Green Lantern and Larfleeze. You guys still like Larfleeze, right? I admit it's been a while but I remember people liking him back when I still read DC.

9sam5.png

BQY6i.jpg

llUzf.jpg

+Glory #31 & 32 by Joe Keatinge and Ross Campbell (Jan. 2, Jan. 30)
+One Trick Rip-Off/Deep-Cuts HC by Paul Pope (Jan. 16)
+Saga #9 by Brian K. Vaughn and Fiona Staples (Jan. 16)
+Todd, the Ugliest Kid on Earth #1 by Ken Kristensen and M.K. Perker (Jan. 16)
+Invincible #100 by Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley and John Rauch (Jan. 23)
+Mara #2 by Brian Wood, Ming Doyle and Jordie Bellaire (Jan. 30)

9CWx4.png

nAAyI.jpg

tcu0z.jpg

+Hellboy in Hell #2 by Mike Mignola (Jan. 2)
+Star Wars #1 by Brian Wood and Carlos D'Anda (Jan. 9)
+The Black Beetle: No Way Out #1 by Francesco Francavilla (Jan. 16)
+Mind MGMT #7 by Matt Kindt (Jan. 23)
+Emily and the Strangers #1 by Rob Reger, Mariah Huehner, and Evily Ivie (Jan. 30)
+The Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia HC by Various, introduction by Shigeru Miyamoto (Jan. 30)

ymY7S.png

sn1yK.jpg

C2d1C.jpg

+Godzilla: The Half-Century War #4 (of 5) by James Stokoe (Jan. 2)
+My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #2 & 3 by Katie Cook and Andy Price (Jan. 2, Jan. 30)
+Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #18 by Tom Waltz, Kevin Eastman and Ben Bates (Jan. 16)
+The High Ways #1 by John Byrne (Jan. 16)
+Judge Dredd #3 by Duane Swierczynski, Nelson Daniel and Langdon Foss (Jan. 23)
+Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness #1 by Mike Johnson and David Messina (Jan. 23)

4T1fu.png

oaVM2.jpg

9nxeE.jpg

+Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake #1 by Natasha Allegri (kaboom!, Jan. 2)
+The Situation #1 by Paul Jenkins and Talent Caldwell (Wizard World, Jan. 2)
+Archie #640 by Chuck Dixon, Rich Koslowski, and Fernando Ruiz (Archie, Jan. 9)
+Dan the Unharmable #9 by David Lapham and Rafael Ortiz (Avatar, Jan. 30)
+Stumptown: The Case of the Baby in the Velvet Case #5 by Greg Rucka and Matthew Southworth (Oni Press, Jan. 23)
+X-O Manowar #9 by Robert Venditti and Trevor Hairsine (Valiant, Jan. 23)

UPUg2.png
BOmCm.png

What is "On the Bullhorn"?

"On the Bullhorn" is your opportunity to get on that soapbox that TToB vacated. Each month I'll leave this space empty, and it's your job to fill it, Comic-GAF, with whatever you want. Got a book you want to promote? A writer? An artist? Got something to get off your chest, a pet peeve or storytelling trope you can't keep silent about? Just want to rant for a bit? Then type it up, provide some pics, and send it to me via PM so I can post it in the OP.

Or don't, and this can stay blank. Up to you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From ViewtifulJC:

Do we put this in our post when we want to ramble on about this shit going on in comics? Because I could do that.

I read a couple interesting conversations about the current state of the comic book industry here and here. You can read them if you want, and don't let the inceidrary title for you they dismantle that concept pretty quickly.

It's pretty easy to hate comics. They're so big and so old that you can list a million things to latch on to. Poor representation of non-white/non-straight/non-males in big two comics, continuity, creative musical chairs, Tony Harris rant on "fake" geek girls, Siegel/Shuster continuingly getting royall(/t)y fucked over by giant corporate suits, Greg Land, dat damn Catwoman cover where her ass and her breasts are racing to pop out of the cover first, double-shipping, etc. It's EASY to hate them. People can create entire novellas to things they hate about comic books.

Here's the thing though: it's NEVER been a better time to read comic books.

We all have our favorite eras and years and sub-sections, whether it'd be Marvel 1980s, Vertigo in the '90s, or just the years where Jack Kirby was alive and drawing comics. And ya know what? All that shit is still available! Oftentimes in collected paperbacks, oversized sewn-binding hardcovers, hell you can get on your damn iPad now if that's how you want to read that. I don't have to hunt down 60 old issues of Ennis/McCrea's Hitman, they're all right there in trade paperback form.

And it's not just superhero stuff, either. You want to read all of Berzerk? Carl Banks Scrooge McDuck comics? All those depressing Chris Ware books, and wonderful Garth Ennis war stories? They are a few clicks away, ya'll. There are, quite literally, MILLIONS of comic books out there and easily available, surely some of them are to your taste? Surely some of them make you happy about this medium?

The great thing about comics is that the budgets are limitless. Any-fuckin-thing you can think of, can, and probably is a comic book. Ninjas that are doctors with giant-mustache having sidekicks that ride dinosaurs? Buck Rogers sci-fi high adventures by way of an alcoholic Texan? Animals/weapons of mass destruction on the run from the government that made them that plays out like the most badass version of Homeward Bound never made? A team of adventurers travelling to an alternate universe where President Dan Quayle is about to unleash nuclear war on a Soviet Union led by an immortal thirty-foot tall genocidal half-robot Josef Stalin manufactured by the Disney Corporation? If you don't like it, there's about a dozen other things to take it's place, something else you DO like and is worth celebrating.

And I'm not saying that we should all put on a big smile and ignore all the legitimate problems this industry has. Tony Harris said some hateful ignorant shit, and he got deservedly shat on. There's no goddamn reason why they're aren't a better representation of non-white straight males in mainstream comics, you can strive for that. When comics are bad, I call 'em out! When one of my friends ask me(since I am pretty much the comic guy in my group of friends), "what do you think about Batman: Hush?", and I tell them flat-out I think it's shit. I see the appeal because Jim Lee draws it and it's a like a greatest hits of Batman moments, but it's a lousy mystery, with an absolute shit central villain, revisiting iconic battles and ideas from Batman's past while never contributing of their own or doing them in any interesting new way. "Hey, remember that time O'Neil/Adams drew shirtless Batman fighting Ra's in the desert!" "Oooh look, Superman vs Batman again!" "Golly gee, is Batman gonna KILL the Joker this time!?"

But I always end that with suggestions of Batman stories I Do recommend. Batman: Year One is great and accessible. So is Batman: Mad Love.

I'm rambling now. I'm just saying that everybody reading this shit right now is because we love comic books. There's plenty of bad, but there's PLENTY that's good! Even TTOB, abrasive asshole that he was, promoted the comic books he liked it from a variety of publishers, because he genuinely loves these words and pictures strung together in generally chronological order.

You like something you're reading? Talk about it! You don't like Marvel or DC? Talk about how much you're enjoying BPRD or Mind MGMT instead. Why do you like it? What makes it work for you? What the last comic book you read and you really enjoyed it?

TL;DR: Show your love for comic books.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy reading!

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Cor, I like that main banner. Very swish and iconic. Except for Greg Land art in the Marvel banner. I'll see you hang for this, Spiegel.

Gifted plenty of comics over the holiday season, if thats a topic worth discussing fresh after All New X-Mas. Mainly trades of Uncanny X-Force, WATXM, Batman INC and the almighty Habibi tome. Have recently got a Galaxy Note 2 in kind and am struggling with whether text is just large enough to become my reader of choice...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Situation got his own comic? Are we that devoid of ideas? Wait, is it a comic where someone throws him into a jungle and hunts him down Predator style? Because I'd read that.

frye

ONE TRICK RIP OFF

another month and continuing my effort to become a Full Member while making 90% of my posts in these threads

Owzers

This is the kind of thread i would make, only it looks a lot better. Good job Spike!

I'm planning on buying less comics but reading more comics instead of letting them sit on my shelf.

Ultimates #19: The first three pages lost me, the rest better save the issue.
i liked when cap knocked Ford through the door but then Cap just stopped and gave in to the very thing that made him knock him through the door in the first place. Might as well never have happened, makes Cap look soft. Give me some Cap tyranny for a little bit, the country just went to war with itself and Cap is supposed to turn into a political force while dropping all his ideals? Eh, there is no satisfaction reading that.

The Situation got his own comic? Are we that devoid of ideas? Wait, is it a comic where someone throws him into a jungle and hunts him down Predator style? Because I'd read that.

Its independent so anyone with a shit idea can print something.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
im liking the new format. very clean

also, krypto, do you have a handlebar mustache in that pic?

boinx

Anyone else here much prefer reading trades than singles? Personally i don't really like following anything monthly because i easily forget stuff that has happened in a run if i'm reading it on a monthly basis. Reading a completed run is much more satisfying because you can consume it faster and it all stays with you better, at least for me.

I should add that I think one of the reasons Bandit's threads were so successful was that his OPs generated a lot of discussion early on, and the "On the Bullhorn" segment is my attempt at recapturing some of that success. I must confess that in the planning stages for this month's OT I considered appropriating his "theme" format for my own when making this thread, yet I found myself at a loss when seeking a theme I could be passionate enough about to fill up an OP yet still be interesting, as he used to. So, I reverted to type and familiarity, chose the easy path, and decided to open up the floor for others to speak.

Owzers

Anyone else here much prefer reading trades than singles? Personally i don't really like following anything monthly because i easily forget stuff that has happened in a run if i'm reading it on a monthly basis. Reading a completed run is much more satisfying because you can consume it faster and it all stays with you better, at least for me.

i prefer trades but eventually i run into the same problem: six-eight months in between trade releases makes me forget what happened in the first trade too. I like the "previously on" pages marvel has to refresh my memory and digital copies that come with marvel issues so i can just flip through a digital issue on my tablet if i forgot what happened.

Superior spider-man makes more sense now that Dan Slott pointed out that Peter Parker originally acted like Doc Ock in the early issues of Spider-Man. He was very angry and bitter.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Superior spider-man makes more sense now that Dan Slott pointed out that Peter Parker originally acted like Doc Ock in the early issues of Spider-Man. He was very angry and bitter.

He isn't wrong about that either, Peter was one salty fuck back then. Funnily enough this status quo change is actually reverting the character back 50 years.

tim1138

I've got space in my pull list for one or two more books, is the Marvel NOW Avengers book double shipped? I'm loving All New X-Men but the shipping schedule is crazy. When does Bendis' Uncanny X-Men start? Pardon my ignorance, I only read ANXM from Marvel and don't keep up with their news.

On a different note, so sad to see one of my favorites ending this week, fare well Punk Rock Jesus, you've been everything I hoped you would be and then some.

BOmCm.png

Do we put this in our post when we want to ramble on about this shit going on in comics? Because I could do that.

I read a couple interesting conversations about the current state of the comic book industry here and here. You can read them if you want, and don't let the inceidrary title for you they dismantle that concept pretty quickly.

It's pretty easy to hate comics. They're so big and so old that you can list a million things to latch on to. Poor representation of non-white/non-straight/non-males in big two comics, continuity, creative musical chairs, Tony Harris rant on "fake" geek girls, Siegel/Shuster continuingly getting royall(/t)y fucked over by giant corporate suits, Greg Land, dat damn Catwoman cover where her ass and her breasts are racing to pop out of the cover first, double-shipping, etc. It's EASY to hate them. People can create entire novellas to things they hate about comic books.

Here's the thing though: it's NEVER been a better time to read comic books.

We all have our favorite eras and years and sub-sections, whether it'd be Marvel 1980s, Vertigo in the '90s, or just the years where Jack Kirby was alive and drawing comics. And ya know what? All that shit is still available! Oftentimes in collected paperbacks, oversized sewn-binding hardcovers, hell you can get on your damn iPad now if that's how you want to read that. I don't have to hunt down 60 old issues of Ennis/McCrea's Hitman, they're all right there in trade paperback form.

And it's not just superhero stuff, either. You want to read all of Berzerk? Carl Banks Scrooge McDuck comics? All those depressing Chris Ware books, and wonderful Garth Ennis war stories? They are a few clicks away, ya'll. There are, quite literally, MILLIONS of comic books out there and easily available, surely some of them are to your taste? Surely some of them make you happy about this medium?

The great thing about comics is that the budgets are limitless. Any-fuckin-thing you can think of, can, and probably is a comic book. Ninjas that are doctors with giant-mustache having sidekicks that ride dinosaurs? Buck Rogers sci-fi high adventures by way of an alcoholic Texan? Animals/weapons of mass destruction on the run from the government that made them that plays out like the most badass version of Homeward Bound never made? A team of adventurers travelling to an alternate universe where President Dan Quayle is about to unleash nuclear war on a Soviet Union led by an immortal thirty-foot tall genocidal half-robot Josef Stalin manufactured by the Disney Corporation? If you don't like it, there's about a dozen other things to take it's place, something else you DO like and is worth celebrating.

And I'm not saying that we should all put on a big smile and ignore all the legitimate problems this industry has. Tony Harris said some hateful ignorant shit, and he got deservedly shat on. There's no goddamn reason why they're aren't a better representation of non-white straight males in mainstream comics, you can strive for that. When comics are bad, I call 'em out! When one of my friends ask me(since I am pretty much the comic guy in my group of friends), "what do you think about Batman: Hush?", and I tell them flat-out I think it's shit. I see the appeal because Jim Lee draws it and it's a like a greatest hits of Batman moments, but it's a lousy mystery, with an absolute shit central villain, revisiting iconic battles and ideas from Batman's past while never contributing of their own or doing them in any interesting new way. "Hey, remember that time O'Neil/Adams drew shirtless Batman fighting Ra's in the desert!" "Oooh look, Superman vs Batman again!" "Golly gee, is Batman gonna KILL the Joker this time!?"

But I always end that with suggestions of Batman stories I Do recommend. Batman: Year One is great and accessible. So is Batman: Mad Love.

I'm rambling now. I'm just saying that everybody reading this shit right now is because we love comic books. There's plenty of bad, but there's PLENTY that's good! Even TTOB, abrasive asshole that he was, promoted the comic books he liked it from a variety of publishers, because he genuinely loves these words and pictures strung together in generally chronological order.

You like something you're reading? Talk about it! You don't like Marvel or DC? Talk about how much you're enjoying BPRD or Mind MGMT instead. Why do you like it? What makes it work for you? What the last comic book you read and you really enjoyed it?

TL;DR: Show your love for comic books.

Acid08

Banned
Following up on my Aquaman question in the last OT, seems like nothing but Time and Tide is available in trade form.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Sexyop is sexy.

Read VJC's post like it was being delivered by a starry-eyed, protagonist giving the end-of-movie, inspirational monologue to rally the troops to a happy ending. Great stuff.

hom3land

New Year and have a urge to read comics. My only real venture was Y the last man. I've already picked up saga and enjoying that so far but also want to read some traditional marvel/dc comics. Preferably would want to jump on a series that's just starting, would the new spiderman work? Any other series have a restart very recently? Also what's considered the best green arrow to read? The new tv series has me curious how off/close they are to the source material.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, so with that cover being pretty blatant about it, hook me up with an avatar ElNarez.

Acid08

Banned
New Year and have a urge to read comics. My only real venture was Y the last man. I've already picked up saga and enjoying that so far but also want to read some traditional marvel/dc comics. Preferably would want to jump on a series that's just starting, would the new spiderman work? Any other series have a restart very recently? Also what's considered the best green arrow to read? The new tv series has me curious how off/close they are to the source material.
Superior Spider-Man is a good jumping in point I suppose but no guarantee on quality. If you're going to read it just read up on the back story.

Hawkeye is currently the best Marvel book, IMO.

Aquaman/Justice League just started a crossover that seems promising.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
2013, the year of new sci-fi series:

East of West by Jonathan Hickman*
Lazarus by Greg Rucka
Trillium by Jeff Lemire
The Wake by Scott Snyder

Plus all the continuing sci-fi books coming out of Image nowadays.

*I haven't actually read anything by him yet, but want to try some of his creator-owned stuff.

Acid08

Banned
Got a couple things in my Amazon cart.

Fear Agent vol.1 hardcover. Amazon says it ships in one to two months. Guessing that's when the second printing comes out?

Second thing is the first Luther Strode volume, opinions? Taking a chance on it.

Lazarus by Greg Rucka
Trillium by Jeff Lemire
The Wake by Scott Snyder

*I haven't actually read anything by him yet, but want to try some of his creator-owned stuff.

Don't forget about Remender's "Low"

Gonna be good.

2etxK.jpg

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
On the other hand, Greg Tocchini.

Beat me. I've seen Tocchini do some ok stuff but in general he's too messy and Euro for me. Hickman's writing is already messy. Messy art on top of that sounds like something that's more work than pleasure to read. I'll check it out though but cautiously.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Fear Agent vol.1 hardcover. Amazon says it ships in one to two months. Guessing that's when the second printing comes out?

Second thing is the first Luther Strode volume, opinions? Taking a chance on it.

I enjoyed Luther Strode. It felt a bit like a Mark Millar comic, but less juvenile and 'edgy'. I thought it struck a good, fun tone with its violence, without being nasty for the sake of it.

Gonna be good.

2etxK.jpg

Very intriguing. I also haven't read any Remender. Really haven't read anything from the big Marvel names. Fear Agent looks pretty interesting.

Beat me. I've seen Tocchini do some ok stuff but in general he's too messy and Euro for me. Hickman's writing is already messy. Messy art on top of that sounds like something that's more work than pleasure to read. I'll check it out though but cautiously.
Did you mean Remender? It's Remender that Tocchini is working with, not Hickman.

Hickman's East of West is being drawn by Nick Dragotta.

Fear agent is awesome. Just finished reading it last week. On par with UXF in my opinion

the chris

Salty yet? ;p

As much as I think fans are dumb for getting so upset over a dumb storyline, I find Dan Slott more annoying for basically being like "I'm so hated" and putting stuff like "World's Deadest Superhero" on the cover. This doesn't make me more invested in the storyline, if anything it makes me less interested.

frye

I think the best thing I've read of his was Thor: Son of Asgard, but even then...eh. I thought his UXF arc was pretty dreadful. Ditto for some one-shot he did with Kelly Sue DeConnick a few years ago.

e: actually I guess that promo piece is the best thing I've seen him done. Looks pretty sweet but I wonder if he'll keep the two-tone colours for the interiors.

Acid08

Banned

Lazarus by Greg Rucka
Trillium by Jeff Lemire
The Wake by Scott Snyder

All of these sound great.

Gonna be good.

2etxK.jpg

Fuck that looks cool as hell.

I enjoyed Luther Strode. It felt a bit like a Mark Millar comic, but less juvenile and 'edgy'. I thought it struck a good, fun tone with its violence, without being nasty for the sake of it.
Nice, looking forward to it! If I end up liking it a lot I'm gonna jump on the new series.

Also happy new year comic-gaf! I was super happy to join the gaf comics community this year and this one will be even better! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom