• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| January 2014. Another year of nothing will be the same ever again. EVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife and I sold our 3ds the other day so we splurged at the shop.

BfKiRoxCMAAlHBZ.jpg

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
I'm afraid I'm one of those people who falls for the hype. I did enjoy Secret Service though. Don't think there was too much rape going on in there just a lot of woman beating.

I think there's a comics' rite of passage where you get suckered by at least one Mark Millar "story" but then you smarten up and join the rest of the reading population in labeling him as just an awful person who spews horseshit onto pages drawn by great artists who succumbed to his chloroforming charms.

But then, his stuff sells really well, right? So who the fuck is buying it?

tim1138

So I've reached the point in Queen & Country that Jedeye was talking about, where the art changes. It's not bad, but I fail to see why they turned Chace into Lara Croft. Very odd style choice to suddenly sexualize your female lead in such an overt way.

BfKiRoxCMAAlHBZ.jpg

Dude, that's awesome. The Unwritten is fantastic, I'd be happy to hear what you think of Rachel Rising too, I've had a look at that a few times and never pulled the trigger.

I think there's a comics' rite of passage where you get suckered by at least one Mark Millar "story" but then you smarten up and join the rest of the reading population in labeling him as just an awful person who spews horseshit onto pages drawn by great artists who succumbed to his chloroforming charms.

But then, his stuff sells really well, right? So who the fuck is buying it?

I know a lot of people who when they casually look into comics, it often involves buying a Millar book. You know how people are though when someone's a fairly local celebrity, they feel the need to attach themselves to that person and must like them as if it determines whether your country has valuable exports or not.

You mean Remender right?
But yeah, I didn't really dig UA until the issue following the first arc. The first arc was all over the place and not really my thing.

Haha I absolutely did man, it's just because I'd been writing that stuff about Hickman before that I still had the name in my fingers. Cheers for the feedback. I might go back to it at some point then, it was really heavy ass narration stuff that was killing me, too prose-y. If it's a good compliment to Thor though, I'd be interested.

Am I the only one that got GQ KP Edition?

Messi, it was my wife's call. I'll continue to read it as long as she wants to get it. Not shown in the pic was my wife's first collector purchase, she got Catwoman #1 for 8 bucks.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
So I've reached the point in Queen & Country that Jedeye was talking about, where the art changes. It's not bad, but I fail to see why they turned Chace into Lara Croft. Very odd style choice to suddenly sexualize your female lead in such an overt way.

Yeah it's mad isn't it? I was quite upset by it at the time, but I get used to it on re-reads. Definitely the most kinetic and actiony the art ever gets, and I think it suits the arc. But still, that ain't my Tara. Love the way he draws Crocker though.

tim1138

Yeah it's mad isn't it? I was quite upset by it at the time, but I get used to it on re-reads. Definitely the most kinetic and actiony the art ever gets, and I think it suits the arc. But still, that ain't my Tara. Love the way he draws Crocker though.

Aside from the change to sexy time Tara, I quite like the art for this arc. It's pretty kinetic and the body language is top notch, I just don't get the changes to Tara. I really liked the introduction and how they dealt with the September 11th attacks.

Justice League Dark - Amazing! I can't believe I care so much for these characters now. Johns was a genius for including them in the Trinity War because now I am a fan!

Where do you think Zatanna and Co are?

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
Justice League Dark - Amazing! I can't believe I care so much for these characters now. Johns was a genius for including them in the Trinity War because now I am a fan!

Who is in the comic now? I haven't picked it up in a while.

Impulse-bought Red Lanterns along with my pulls. Think I'm going to read Red Lanterns and Supergirl at least for the Red Daughter of Krypton story. If I trade-wait it I'd be waiting eight years.

tim1138

For some reason in my mind all that
Thaumaton
stuff is taking place on the West Coast.

Filthy Slug said:
Who is in the comic now? I haven't picked it up in a while.

Current line up is Constantine, Nightmare Nurse, Pandora, Phantom Stranger, Swampy, and Deadman. Zauriel has also been in it, but I dunno how long he's sticking around. They're currently trying to locate the rest of the team.

Guys no fucking joke, Catwoman, following the Gothtopia storyline, was pretty good this week. Nocenti must have been following an outline because everything made sense.

Owzers

Justice League #27 was fairly tame, i didn't care for the "rebuilding of Cyborg" at all and that was the majority of the issue.

Mafro

Another great Uncanny Avengers issue.

At least we have one avengers book that hasn't been spoiled by Deodato, Larocca or Nick Spencer.
Only on GAF.

He's one of the best artists around and his recent New Avengers stuff has been fantastic, same as all his other work. Comparing him to someone as hit-and-miss as Larocca is just wrong.

Good call on Rachel Rising! I read 5 issues in before I had to return to my floppies. Gotta keep at that battle against the singles stack. But man do I ever love RR. It's one of those comics that I feel is made for me.

Dude, that's awesome. The Unwritten is fantastic, I'd be happy to hear what you think of Rachel Rising too, I've had a look at that a few times and never pulled the trigger.

You gotta read RR, donie. Your girl might really like it, too.

Rachel Rises for all!

Filthy Slug

For some reason in my mind all that
Thaumaton
stuff is taking place on the West Coast.

Current line up is Constantine, Nightmare Nurse, Pandora, Phantom Stranger, Swampy, and Deadman. Zauriel has also been in it, but I dunno how long he's sticking around. They're currently trying to locate the rest of the team.

Cool, thanks for the update. I've been sticking to the main Forever Evil event and that's about it. I may go back to JL and JLD after Forever Evil, especially since it looks like there's going to be team changes.

For you guys that dig uncanny avengers as it is today...do you say this having enjoyed the first arc? Like, at all? I absolutely hated the style of writing Hickman went for with the first arc, and also didn't think the art was great (this was a very minor thing compared to the heavy handed writing though).

I actually dropped the book after the 2nd issue. Then picked it back up after I heard about the ending of the first arc and read the next issue. Its all gravy after that first arc.

Only on GAF.

He's one of the best artists around and his recent New Avengers stuff has been fantastic, same as all his other work. Comparing him to someone as hit-and-miss as Larocca is just wrong.

Ahhhhhhh

That dude traces naked people. His art is static as fuck. Clothes look like they're airbrushed on. He recycles panels so much he must think hes helping the environment.

The boner that Marvel has over that guy is straight shameful.

tim1138

Cool, thanks for the update. I've been sticking to the main Forever Evil event and that's about it. I may go back to JL and JLD after Forever Evil, especially since it looks like there's going to be team changes.

Honestly, I think the Blight crossover in the dark books is better than the main FE story. I did a huge post on it a couple weeks ago, but the pacing and flow of the story is spot on. Despite it being a 16 part story across four books, it's constantly moving forward. Hell, the aspect dealing with
the actual Blight character
ended this week in JLD. Obviously your mileage may vary (and this is coming to you from a huge DeMatteis fan), buy it's been a solid story.

Filthy Slug

Honestly, I think the Blight crossover in the dark books is better than the main FE story. I did a huge post on it a couple weeks ago, but the pacing and flow of the story is spot on. Despite it being a 16 part story across four books, it's constantly moving forward. Hell, the aspect dealing with
the actual Blight character
ended this week in JLD. Obviously your mileage may vary (and this is coming to you from a huge DeMatteis fan), buy it's been a solid story.

Hmm, I got a bit behind with all that once I dropped all of the League books, right before Trinity, but I'm slowly getting back into them again. Do you think Blight will be released as it's own tpb? 'Cause I'll totally grab it if it's worthwhile.

I just need Justice League Dark and Justice League to start brand new storylines and I'll hop back into them. I guess that's coming after Forever Evil (Captain Cold, yesssssss).

Mafro

Ahhhhhhh

That dude traces naked people. His art is static as fuck. Clothes look like they're airbrushed on. He recycles panels so much he must think hes helping the environment.

Okay,

I'm not sure Black Science is doing it for me as much as I thought it would so far. It's good, but I'm a little underwhelmed. Deadly Class is more interesting and that's only had one issue so far.

I have 'Leaving Megalopolis'. I don't think it has been made available outside of Kickstarter yet. Gail's last update indicated there are still near one hundred books to be shipped to backers. The digital edition is also still being finalised for release. I wouldn't expect it to be available until at least after the .pdf has been emailed to backers.

It's a fantastic book though, one that I highly recommend to fans of Gail's stellar Secret Six run. Beautifully illustrated and printed on high quality paper. It was definitely worth the wait and it seems there is also more to come:

I can take a few photos if you want to see the finished product.

Thanks for the heads up and for the pics! I'll just wait it out. Hopefully it'll be for sale sooner than later. And yeah, I absolutely adored Secret Six so I'm sure I'll enjoy this.

tim1138

Hmm, I got a bit behind with all that once I dropped all of the League books, right before Trinity, but I'm slowly getting back into them again. Do you think Blight will be released as it's own tpb? 'Cause I'll totally grab it if it's worthwhile.

I just need Justice League Dark and Justice League to start brand new storylines and I'll hop back into them. I guess that's coming after Forever Evil (Captain Cold, yesssssss).

I think the only question is if it will be one big hc (like the Rise of the Third Army and Wrath of the First Lantern GL crossovers that were also 16 issues long) or two separate tpbs. It should read great in trade though. This is why comixology needs a lending feature, I'd just lend you my issues.

Dysun

I want the last 5 issues of Superman Spider-Man NOW
We still haven't seen who is under The Goblin King's mask, even if we saw the scar

EDIT D'OH

Ever buy your comics, feel excited for them, always look at them in their stack, but have no energy to read them? That's me today. I just want to be a vegetable.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Forever Evil will never end. Be prepared for months of aftermath crap. Pretty bored of this story now tbh. The heroes are gonna win, get to the point motherfuckers.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Ahhhhhhh

That one page of Shang Chi that is a straight up Bruce Lee trace was pretty egregious. All Chinese people look alike, right?

Owzers

Ever buy your comics, feel excited for them, always look at them in their stack, but have no energy to read them? That's me today. I just want to be a vegetable.

whenever i get a dcbs shipment i'm always in the mood to read Walking Dead...and then sometimes i stare at the stack.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I want the last 5 issues of Superman Spider-Man NOW
We still haven't seen who is under The Goblin King's mask, even if we saw the scar

EDIT D'OH

I know exactly what you mean, this issue was probably the best single issue of anything I've read this month. The tension in certain parts was palpable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom