• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| July 2013. Celebrate liberty with the ultimate patriotic superhero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprise guest Rick Remender then took the stage saying it was "good to be back at Image" after ten years working for other publishers. The writer's first new series announcement is "Black Science" with artist Matteo Scalera. The series serves as a sequel to Remender and Tony Moore's "Fear Agent" and was inspired by the writer's love of Frank Frazetta paintings and Al Williamson illustrations. It's about a member of the Anarchist League of Science – a group experimenting with dark sciences. The November-shipping series will feature digital paints by Remender's "Uncanny X-Force" colorist Dean White and a cover by Andrew Robinson. "If you like Conan and bombs and spacemen, you might enjoy this," he said.

i like all of those thing rick

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Brubaker announced "Velvet" – a new series with his "Captain America" partner Steve Epting. He described the book as espionage-flavored similar to their "Cap" work but more grounded and twisted. The idea is one the writer has been planning for eight years and looking for an artist for as long. Epting joined discussions on the book five years ago, and since then, the writer was waiting for the artist to finish out his Marvel exclusive contract so he could draw the book. The story focuses on Velvet Templeton, a personal assistant to world's largest intelligence agency in the vein of Moneypenny from the James Bond films. She has to leave desk job to go back into the field, on the run from her own agents in the new series. Brubaker wrapped his description saying the book will be like "a Bond or Mission Impossible movie to mashed into a meta textual cold war scenario."

Oh yeah, I'll buy that.

Second Remender book

The writer then revealed another new project: "Deadly Class." This series is inspired by Remender's growing up in 80s hardcore scene with punk rock. The writer described the book as a "self-indulgent work" where he'll be taking his own high school experiences and "taking the metaphorical knife in your back and making it real." The story focuses on a a high school for assassins where Remender will twist "slice of life stories" from this era where "the violence angle is surprising to remind you of the stakes the characters are dealing with." The writer joked, "Who doesnt want a 40 year old telling uyou this stuff?" The book will be drawn by Wesley Craig with colorist Lee Loughridge along for the ride, and variant covers by Jonathan Wayshak and Farel Dalrymple are forthcoming.

sounds sick

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
New @mattfraction book in 2014. ODY-C. The Odyssey in space with gender roles reversed.

Oh, man, I love The Odyssey and all the different forms it takes in modern literature. Infinite Horizon was a great take on it in comic form, so I'm most excited about this Fraction joint!

AAron/Latour

a "big cursing sized hole in his writing heart for a long time" which will be filled with the series "Southern Bastards" with artist Jason Latour. "Peple say write what you know...this is waht I know," the writer said. Aaron grew up in Alabama so "This is the book I was meant to write in a very sad, dark way."

so much for the Marvel Arctitects. 4/5 of AvX is at image now.

The writer said "Souther Bastards" is "about a lot of southern bastards." He's creating his own world filled with colorful characters and is planning on doing terrible things to them for many years. Latour joined his writer on stage and called the book "The Untouchables versus Boss Hog" or "The Dukes of Hazard by the Coen Bros on meth."

Guess I'm buying a lot more Image Comics in the future

jesus millar is up his own ass

Millar is planning his "magnum opus...the most ambitious project I've ever planned." Launching in January of 2014, the writer known for his boasting said "If 'Jupiter's Legacy' was 'Watchmen,' this is the Marvel Universe for the 21st century." [/B]Millar will launch an entire line of books starting with one that's "as pivotal as Fantastic Four" was to the fabled superhero company. The first book in the line will be called "MPH" and will be drawn by Duncan Fegredo.

ElNarez

Banned
So Image takes a whole bunch of Marvel guys, while Marvel takes a bunch of DC guys, while DC takes a ton of Image guys. CIRCLE OF LIFE, Y'ALL.

(Also, all of those announcements are hot fire goddamn)
(except millar but fuck him)

ElNarez

Banned
You guys, Image is taking over the industry

Comixology has nothing to fear from Image going DRM free because what they sell, along with comics, is the convenience of having all your library anywhere you'd want it with little to no effort. It's pretty much the iTunes model, and that works.

Comixology has nothing to fear from Image going DRM free because what they sell, along with comics, is the convenience of having all your library anywhere you'd want it with little to no effort. It's pretty much the iTunes model, and that works.

This. Image doing this is nice and all, but ComiX has this shit on lock right now.

Competition is good though, and maybe we'll see some changes down the road.

Image putting the Big Two on notice. Lots of interesting stuff coming from them. DRM-free digital sounds amazing if they can make it work.

Get back to me when I actually own my digital content. Until then fuck off.

A step in the right direction though.

From now on, all of Image’s digital comics come with PDF, ePub, CBR and a CBZ file which is a game changer to say the least, as you now actually own the digital comic that you purchase, DRM-Free. This is decidedly different from Comixology, where you can only access the comic through their app, and basically adds a brand new revolution to the strange digital comics game that is always evolving one step at a time.

This, though? This is like a whole jump. The big issue of digital comics was that you’d pay for something that you could only access in a specific way, and one that you could lose at the drop of a hat (or a cloud). Image, forever trying to put the power in the hands of the people they serve, is literally putting the power in the hand sof the people they serve with this move — and it’s kind of astonishing to see this happen from the publisher.

dan2026

From now on, all of Image’s digital comics come with PDF, ePub, CBR and a CBZ file which is a game changer to say the least, as you now actually own the digital comic that you purchase, DRM-Free. This is decidedly different from Comixology, where you can only access the comic through their app, and basically adds a brand new revolution to the strange digital comics game that is always evolving one step at a time.
[/I]

They might as well do this.
Just like the music industry, piracy is so damn easy, to compete with the pirates you have to offer a similar service.

Yeah, it's good. Mostly spotlights on B-List characters but lots of nice touches.

Well, if the B-list characters are cool, then it's ok. I was merely intrigued of the thought of a world without Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman. And I remember reading somewhere, that Lex Luthor doesn't mess around in this arc. Also, how weird/trippy Grant Morrison gets in this? :D

Yeah Image has 4 different no-DRM formats for their digital comics now. But without a decent reader out there then what's the point?

8bit

Knows the Score
Yeah Image has 4 different no-DRM formats for their digital comics now. But without a decent reader out there then what's the point?

What's wrong with CDisplayEx?

Well, if the B-list characters are cool, then it's ok. I was merely intrigued of the thought of a world without Batman, Superman or Wonder Woman. And I remember reading somewhere, that Lex Luthor doesn't mess around in this arc. Also, how weird/trippy Grant Morrison gets in this? :D

It's been sometime since I've read it but there are some big cosmic moments in it, not so trippy though IIRC.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face

Dude, it's got the Question--he ain't B-list, he's S-list! I need to reread it but it wasn't really too trippy and was a really interesting and solid experiment in storytelling.

Countdown, its sequel, I actually loved a ton because of the Pied Piper/Trickster stuff. Man, I need to reread those two!

A huge part of piracy is simply the convenience. I don't have to go through this digital middle man, log into my account, transfer money into Apple iBucks or whatever; I can just click this Mediafire button right here, download it, it's on my harddrive in 10 seconds. I can read it, copy it, flip it upside down, whatever.

Piracy is never going away. That's the reality of the situation, and putting more locks on the door just encourages more people to find another way around. When you give people a more convenient way to get to your products, they're more likely to pay for the products.

dan2026

A huge part of piracy is simply the convenience. I don't have to go through this digital middle man, log into my account, transfer money into Apple iBucks or whatever; I can just click this Mediafire button right here, download it, it's on my harddrive in 10 seconds. I can read it, copy it, flip it upside down, whatever.

Piracy is never going away. That's the reality of the situation, and putting more locks on the door just encourages more people to find another way around. When you give people a more convenient way to get to your products, they're more likely to pay for the products.

Exactly.

The only way to combat piracy is to beat them at their own game.

Remender teased a western with Tony Moore a while back. I want that instead. Everything sounds good, but why is everything so dark and gritty? Where are the fun books? Im going to change that brahs.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I was hoping Remender and Tocchini's Low would show up today. Oh well...

Along with New Avengers, I just finished Doctor Strange Season One. I really want to read more about the character, can anyone recommend me some trades?

batman and son
Batman: the black glove
Batman RIP

Batman and Robin
Return of bruce wayne

Batman inc vol 1
Batman inc vol 2 demon star (Nu 52)

i imagine he final trade is out late this year.

the earlier trades you should be able to find on the cheap

If you really want to go down this rabbit hole, I'm listing mostly trades here:
-Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
-Batman & Son
-Batman: The Resurrection of Ra's Al Ghul (Only two issues from here)
-Batman: The Black Glove
-Batman: R.I.P.
-Final Crisis
-Batman & Robin Vol 1
-Batman & Robin Vol 2
-Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne
-Batman: Time and the Batman
-Batman & Robin Vol 3
-Batman: The Return
-Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1
-Batman Incorporated, Vol. 1: Demon Star (The New 52)

Then you are pretty much caught up through Batman Inc #6 (New 52).

Oh boy, thanks guys.

Splatt

Along with New Avengers, I just finished Doctor Strange Season One. I really want to read more about the character, can anyone recommend me some trades?

Dr_Strange_The_Oath_01_cover.jpg

Nudull

Banned
I'm late on this, but my current pull list (including some upcoming stuff) is:

Marvel
Avengers
Captain Marvel
New Avengers
X-Men
Young Avengers

DC
Batgirl
Batwoman
The Movement

Saga

Dynamite
Gail Simone's Red Sonja

Boom Studios
Adventure Time
Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake
Adventure Time: Candy Capers
Regular Show

IDW
Dinosaurs Attack
Ghostbusters
TMNT New Animated Adventures

Archie
Mega Man
Sonic The Hedgehog
Sonic Universe

I've been thinking about adding in Nightwing, IDW's Ninja Turtles and whatever's left of JiM (still irritated about its canning), but yeah. It's a hell of a lot more books than I thought I'd be following when I started. :p

NEO0MJ

I finished reading Supergods a couple of days ago and started skimming through Grant Morrison's bibliography and came across this (Quoted for size):

I loved it, pretty much what decided some of my DC favorites like Booster Gold and Black Adam. DC needs more events that focus on B/C listers.

Haven't read it yet, but this is supposedly really good.

It piqued my interest instantly, because -for reasons unknown- I'm a sucker for huge omnibuses like this and also because I have a man-crush on Greg Rucka and Mark Waid :D What's the verdict, is this worth the time and effort?

I love 52 but you should read Gotham Central first if you haven't already. 52 directly carries on from where Renee Montoya's story left off.

8bit

Knows the Score

Oh, one other thing I've just remembered. It might help if you've read Morrison's run on Animal Man.

Filthy Slug

When are they going to bring Nightcrawler back? I miss him. Magik sucks and has lame porting powers.

Or maybe Blink...

There's AOA Nightcrawler who likes to
Bamf
sharks
inside peoples' stomachs
! And
melt
rogue Ice-dudes in
giant furnaces
!

Just caught up on all the Image talk. Dang, they've got me with three books, at least.

Does this mean Remender is leaving Marvel? Dude has been slaying it over there.

Add in Saga and I'll have more Image titles than big two stuff. Never thought that would happen.

Just caught up on all the Image talk. Dang, they've got me with three books, at least.

Does this mean Remender is leaving Marvel? Dude has been slaying it over there.

Add in Saga and I'll have more Image titles than big two stuff. Never thought that would happen.

Of course not. Writers take on multiple projects all the time just look at Jonathan Hickman.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom