• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| June 2017 - AquaBDSM : Sunstone but with dolphins.

I don't understand how Marvel thinks they can just coast like this. Look at how low Avengers is selling, jeez. They better at least have new creative teams for these books.

I don't understand how Marvel thinks they can just coast like this. Look at how low Avengers is selling, jeez. They better at least have new creative teams for these books.

I don't believe that they do. It just seems like they know the ship is sinking but have no fucking clue what to do about it. Their answer to everything is another rebranding. And it ain't working anymore.

IrishNinja

hows Ellis been on wildstorm?

By their utter refusal to admit that physical comics and, as a result, comic shops are dying? Sorry Marvel, but sooner or later you'll have to realize that either you let comic shops die out, or you let them take you down with them. Embrace the digital future.

what is this post even about? that's an industry wide problem and marvels digital setup isn't bad (clearly still held back by retail, mind)

Cap is on that Thor cover with the same shield he got after Standoff.

yeah I'm assuming that books out before secret empire ties up?
related: no idea why Hydra cap didn't hold onto mjolnir

Legacy seems like a huge disappointment so far.

I'm gonna wait on creative team details before saying anything

I definitely cannot wait to get the next one, its so fun to read.

yeah they're both great. I still have to check out mother panic. heard good things though
Definitely. Zarcone's art is such a perfect fit for Castellucci's writing. If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend Doom Patrol too. They complement each other very nicely and are hands down my favorite books every month.

Mother Panic is pretty solid too. I'm a bit behind, but it's a cool, 90s Vertigo styled take on a new hero in Gotham.
DC drops the Metal checklist:

Hawkman getting a one-shot is bigger than all the Legacy "news".
I wasn't expecting this to stretch out so long. I'm just happy this isn't seeping into what I read. I don't have to read Snyder writing so that's a plus for me.

Man, this MvCI quote:
Your modern Marvel fan, maybe they don't even remember some of the X-Men characters, but they know some of the Guardians characters or Black Panther. You know what I mean? Captain Marvel may seem like a strange pick, but she's fantastic. She fits the gameplay. She fits the story, and they're gonna be really pushing her as a strong female lead all the way up into the movie. We're trying to take everything into account and choose the best characters.

Vic_Viper

About half way through the first OHC for Thor God of Thunder by Jason Aaron. Really enjoying it so far, way better that I expected.

Does anyone here remember the Green God's name that Thor finds in the cave in issue like 3 or 4. Basically Thor in present day goes back to the cave with Iron Man and finds this Green God instead of Gorr. I cant find his name but I swear he said it earlier. Is he even important?

Man, I'm definitely not buying this at launch. Later on will depend what the DLC character list looks like, because the current roster is traaaaaaaash.

Im super conflicted on what I want to do. Black Panther comes with the Deluxe Edition at launch but then ill have to wait months for anyone else I want. Ill probably wait since Destiny is coming 2 weeks before it anyway but ive been wanting this game for so damn long lol.

Malyse

Jessica Jones is slaying?
Indeed.

-----

I want a Rose Wilson and Cassandra Cain book. And Steph can show up occasionally to get knocked out.
Where's Gwenpool at arc-wise? beginning, middle, end? I'll catch up on volumes and then hop on singles at the start of an arc. I thought I could live without it, but I was wrong.
In the model of one. This current arc will end a volume IIRC.

ALSO, this is the best arc thus far.

-----

Marvel is a movie company that makes comics on the side.

Im super conflicted on what I want to do. Black Panther comes with the Deluxe Edition at launch but then ill have to wait months for anyone else I want. Ill probably wait since Destiny is coming 2 weeks before it anyway but ive been wanting this game for so damn long lol.

Did you play the demo? The game has potential, but as it is, it's pretty cringe-worthy.

I don't believe that they do. It just seems like they know the ship is sinking but have no fucking clue what to do about it. Their answer to everything is another rebranding. And it ain't working anymore.

The only counter to the Image Effect is a Geoff Johns level showrunner and they simply refuse to invest in one. If they really gave Ewing the keys, they might be able to move the needle, but it's doubtful. Ewing is like the Anti-Remender when it comes to making cool teams that make sense as a unit and bounce off each other in interesting ways.

ElNarez

Banned
Metal being 25 books with the tie-ins is making me kinda queasy. Like, maybe they're milking it, I'm thinking, but then I did a count based on what's on Wikipedia and Secret Empire is 76 fucking issues, so what do I know.

Metal being 25 books with the tie-ins is making me kinda queasy. Like, maybe they're milking it, I'm thinking, but then I did a count based on what's on Wikipedia and Secret Empire is 76 fucking issues, so what do I know.

It's a big event, they're... uh, big.

First DC one in a WHILE so I'm pretty happy about it.

VanWinkle

It's so annoying how much Marvel lets the movies influence their comics line.

Separate question: Did Uncanny Avengers by Remender take place during the Marvel Now era? Was it running alongside Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers?

Honestly, I think this is great for a huge event. Only eight ongoings are doing tie-ins! That's miniscule for a big universe-wide event.

Ross61

Well, Snyder made it clear that you wouldn't have to read anything but the miniseries(and probably Forge/Casting) to get the full story. The rest are optional.

Just skip those random one shots like Batman: Kittytickler and Batman: Rosegardentrampler and its a very manageable 17 issues.

Sandfox

The only counter to the Image Effect is a Geoff Johns level showrunner and they simply refuse to invest in one. If they really gave Ewing the keys, they might be able to move the needle, but it's doubtful. Ewing is like the Anti-Remender when it comes to making cool teams that make sense as a unit and bounce off each other in interesting ways.

If it were me I would probably just have Quesada take a more hands on approach unless there's someone that has a really good plan.

Aizo

Banned
Any talk about Shade from a Japanese crowd or would you not know about local vibes?
I only have one Japanese friend that's much into American comics. He's just obsessed with Spiderman. Single issues don't get translated into Japanese, and they're about 40% more expensive due to importing, so most Japanese people that are into American comics (very few) have to wait until a trade is translated. I have no idea if Shade will be translated.

I might make my way into the Japanese comic reading community next month. I'll let you all know if I do.

ElNarez

Banned
man I sure am hype about Weapon X, by Greg Pak, TBD and TBD, that's a combo right there

holy shit Marvel even your fucking marketing doesn't respect my fucking time, what the fuck is wrong with you

ElNarez

Banned
hey remember when DC had a bigass panel livestream to announce 6 books, all with writers, artists, pitches and art samples? and it was a tangible thing you could understand and explain to others?

hey remember when DC had a bigass panel livestream to announce 6 books, all with writers, artists, pitches and art samples? and it was a tangible thing you could understand and explain to others?

Don't forget how impeccably designed it was. Marvel couldn't even get Orz to make a Cable logo to match New Mutants.

oooo+ouch.gif

I don't know nearly as much about the big two as many of you but, damn, it's so weird to read so much Marvel hate. This thread was exactly the same a few years ago except DC were the bad guys.

You all make a lot of sense with your criticisms. All I know is I'm personally reading a lot of Marvel and very little DC. The few DC books I'm reading are perpetually on the bubble. I still want to check out some of those young animal titles, though. I think I may enjoy a Cave Carson (is this cancelled?) and Shade.

Sandfox

I don't know nearly as much about the big two as many of you but, damn, it's so weird to read so much Marvel hate. This thread was exactly the same a few years ago except DC were the bad guys.

You all make a lot of sense with your criticisms. All I know is I'm personally reading a lot of Marvel and very little DC. The few DC books I'm reading are perpetually on the bubble. I still want to check out some of those young animal titles, though. I think I may enjoy a Cave Carson (is this cancelled?) and Shade.
Marvel and DC perpetually go back and forth and are never strong at the same time.

There are some Marvel books I greatly enjoy and look forward to every month, but the company direction as a whole has been kind of aimless for some time. They don't know what they're doing or who they're doing it for. All they know is that their sales are slipping and they can't puzzle out why. Pricing definitely has something to do with it, but I also think people are just tired of events. That, and they're no longer falling for Marvel's near-constant rebrandings. Whereas in the past six years. DC has rebranded twice. New 52, and Rebirth. They had a clear idea of what they wanted to do to draw in new readers and they stuck with it. Marvel is having trouble committing.

Cave Carson is a really fun book. I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I initially thought I would. It's still solicited through September at least, so it hasn't been canned as of yet. We'll see what happens if Messi starts reading it, though.

DC was pumping out garbage before Rebirth. I found most of their books unreadable.

Marvel was killing it but went full arrogant Sony, raised prices, flooded the market with questionable books, and published #1 issues out the ass.

I read both, but my investment in each is inversely proportional to where it was a year ago. It could easily swap back in a couple of years. Dumb DC is always lingering in the background.

It's like that Sony/MS/Nintendo arrogance with their tertible business decisions. These things always sort themselves out. I'm sure Marvel will course correct, hopefully before bankruptcy this time.

Sandfox

It's like that Sony/MS/Nintendo arrogance with their tertible business decisions. These things always sort themselves out. I'm sure Marvel will course correct, hopefully before bankruptcy this time.
Marvel isn't losing money so they aren't worried about that. Of course that affects their decisions for better or worse.

IrishNinja

Nothing singing to me from the Legacy announcement.

I'll still read everything
six months later on MU.

thats the smarter way to do it honestly

it's a pendulum for some - they borked it today but if they switch things up & get exciting (& consistent) creative teams going - much less support them - none of this will matter, guess we'll see...but it feels inversely proportional to how many books they give bendis at this point

Wanderer5

Bleh, short trip this weekend. Decided to download some videos from Amazon Prime, and settled on the Batman/Superman World's Finest movie from the DC animated universe. Move aside BvS, for an actual good teamup movie with these two.:p

Top Bottom