• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS! |OT| October 2013. Ghosts in friendly, vengeful, and gentlemanly varieties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Filthy Slug

Crowd screaming like hounds at the heat of the chase/ All the colors of the rainbow flood my face
A'ite, I'm in for Jock's Savage Wolverine arc. The issue was a bit light in terms of story but it's interesting enough for me to keep going. Plus, Jock's art!

francis.jpg

wtf thats not damian

tm24

Just read ANXM17. Probably the weakest issue of the crossover yet, but still good. Didn't move things along, felt like more of a setup for the bombs coming next week. Iceman is still the best

Dead

well not really...yet
Ooh Manapul on Batman

I love his art but I can't give even half of a fuck about the Flash, so I haven't enjoyed his stuff in a while.

Still peeved he quit Adventure Comics for the Flash

Earth 2 was a disappointment. I was fine with the grim and arkness but they ratched it up to 11. Alan Scott is nothing now. And all this talk about being a world without the Trinity and Alan was leading a new Trinity was bullshit. Fuxk.

Earth 2 pissed me off

It was so good until the last few pags when WTF...

fucking steppenwulf and some guy named bruutal beat alan scott to death? really? and then bruutal reveals he's (presumably) a brainwashed earth-2 Superman and blows the plant in half. What happened to Hawkgirl solving the mystery of Alan Scott's partners murder? Who is the Red Lantern? What was the deal with Big Barda and Mr.Miracle? Why were they on Earth 2? What happened with there fight with the red tornado? Does this mean those other 2 "hell hounds" were brainwashed batman and wonder woman? Who is the new batman in the black and red suit? Whatever happened to Mr.Terrfific after he got ambushed by the other Mr.Terrific and why is he suddenly working with the government alongside Terry Sloan? Who is that Red Arrow guy and the other Sandman? Did Atom Smasher die? Will they form the Justice Society? Is terry sloan a villian then or a good guy? Are they really going to leave a major new god character dead? Is Alan Scott truly dead????

URRGHHHHHHH

Geez doniewhalberg, I was just about to post it :p

The other one

Haha, sorry man, didn't mean to steal your thunder! That's an interesting one. I really liked his work on the dark tower books, wouldn't have expected him on a marvel now book honestly.

After everyone drooling over Black Science lately, y'all must have driven it into my head. Spotted someone on ebay with all 6 trades of Fear Agent up for auction in a listing, no bids, just about to go, so I bought them on a whim. Never read the book before, I did good, right?

Acid08

Banned
Haha, sorry man, didn't mean to steal your thunder! That's an interesting one. I really liked his work on the dark tower books, wouldn't have expected him on a marvel now book honestly.

After everyone drooling over Black Science lately, y'all must have driven it into my head. Spotted someone on ebay with all 6 trades of Fear Agent up for auction in a listing, no bids, just about to go, so I bought them on a whim. Never read the book before, I did good, right?
How much? There's a gorgeous oversized HC of the first half out and the second half is coming out in the next couple months.

But yeah Fear Agent is fucking awesome.

Earth 2 issue 16 had to have been written by the editor. Robinson gave up. Fucking shit cunt.

Rat Queens was pretty chill. The cursing and dick jokes were off putting though.

How much? There's a gorgeous oversized HC of the first half out and the second half is coming out in the next couple months.

But yeah Fear Agent is fucking awesome.

I actually saw the big HC for £25 and the thing looks godly, but the lot of the six trades were £30 for them all, so I just went for it and I got it with no other bidders haha thing was about to go unbought so I was frantically trying to get it in haha. Pretty chuffed to be honest, a few years ago I did have a look at the Fear Agent trades (when X-force was getting all its praise), but all of them were out of print and really expensive from sellers.

Not often I can jump into a quality series these days from scratch, that is already over, and can just read it all, so pretty excited.

EDIT: Realised you guys ar emost USA, so I guess £30 = £48, minus the included tax...$40-$42?

Oh my god, Lazarus, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. This is, like, the first time (as an adult) that I've followed a monthly that I couldn't wait to tear into on release day. So, so good.
The desert battle with the "Lazari" was the tits.
Sad to have to wait two months for another issue but I really look forward to exploring the
waste world. So what do we think, guys? Did Forever come from waste stock?

I seriously don't know why I'm so into this story. I'm not even all that interested in genetically modified super people or whatever, though I really like Joaquim and Eve as characters. And I don't read any of that history stuff in the back ( just Rucka's response to the letters). I just don't care a lot about the politics and crap. But what I love is the feeling that I am in good hands reading this book. I'm being taken somewhere by people who are smart and know what they are doing and are carefully crafting this story for me. And it's one of those things where the writing and the lines and colours all just hit so beautifully.

Sorry. Afterglow.

Family above all!

tim1138

Earth 2 issue 16 had to have been written by the editor. Robinson gave up. Fucking shit cunt.

Rat Queens was pretty chill. The cursing and dick jokes were off putting though.

I'm sorry Rafa, but the juxtaposition of these two statements made me laugh.

La Maquinon: have you read Stumptown? It's also by Rucka.

La Maquinon: have you read Stumptown? It's also by Rucka.

Not yet! I bought the first Stumptown collection when it was on sale on Comixology before I realized that reading comics from a tablet kills kittens. I'm really looking forward to it, though. Just have to decide whether to overpay at a LCS or get a good deal on a dinged up copy from Amazon.
Oh, Canada! etc.

Eldren

Tradd Moore on a new ongoing, YES! Excellent. Any ideas what "overdrive" could be about? A robot character? I wish I was better at figuring these out...

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
This wait for new Hawkeye is getting harder and harder with each wednesday.

Is Sex Criminals any good?

Art is fine. Writing is iffy. Humor is subjective, but I didn't find it funny. There are a few supporters in here and there are a handful of detractors, too. Hawkeye is better.

I don't have #4 yet, but I haven't gotten the impression that Eve is lesbian.

No, it seems pretty clear
there is a spark between Eve and Joaquim.

Sex Criminals #1 was well received, generally. A lot of the comics podcasting types love it. It didn't work for me.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Art is fine. Writing is iffy. Humor is subjective, but I didn't find it funny. There are a few supporters in here and there are a handful of detractors, too. Hawkeye is better.

With all the exposition out of the way I expect sex crinals to get much better
Hawkeye is my go-to comic I think all things considered, but I like Fraction as a writer, so i'm willing to give it a shot, even if it does take a few issues to actually click I guess.

Someone on 4chan claims to have leaked all of DC's NYCC announcements.

This is every book and creative team DC is announcing at NYCC in a week and a half. Believe me or not, that is your prerogative
New books:
>SHAZAM! : Geoff Johns and Sterling Gates. as writers; Doug Manhke on art.
>Plastic Man: Gail Simone writing; Ethan Van Sciver on art.
>Sinestro Corps: Matt Kindt writing; Tyler Kirkham on art.
>Martian Manhunter: Matt Kindt writing; Marco Rudy on art.
>The Question: Ray Fawkes writing; Syzmon Kurdanski on art.
>Booster Gold: Dan Jurgens on writing and art.
>Red Robin: Tony Bedard writing; Marcus To on art.
>The Others (Aquaman spin-off): John Ostrander writing; Geraldo Borges on art.
>Titans (Featuring classic roster of Titans; sans Wally): James Tynion IV writing; RB Silva on art.
>Doom Patrol: Tom Taylor writing; Chris Sprouse on art.
>Cyborg: Kevin Greivoux writing; Artist TBA
>Superman Weekly: Rotating creative teams; first arc will be a Geoff Johns/Jeff Lemire story.

Creative team changes:
>The Flash: Jeff Parker writing; Gabriel Hardman on art.
>Batgirl: Marguerite Bennett writing; Emanuela Lupacchino on art.
>Catwoman: John Layman writing; Kano on art.
>Birds of Prey: Tim Seeley writing; Guillem March on art

Oh wow, some interesting stuff if true. I'd give Batgirl another chance, probably, and Red Robin could be good stuff. Titans I'd be SO DOWN but i'm lukewarm on Tynion and sorta eh on RB Silva, though i think it's mostly the coloring on his Superboy stuff. EVS on Plastic Man is mehhhhhhhhhhhhh enough for me to not be that interested. Hardman is an interesting choice for Flash but otherwise a pretty solid team. March on BoP is probably a really good fit if they just want to go all cheesecake I guess.

assuming that's all true

Someone on 4chan claims to have leaked all of DC's NYCC announcements.

If those were right (4chan thougH), I think I'd be interested in:

>The Flash: Jeff Parker writing; Gabriel Hardman on art.
>Catwoman: John Layman writing; Kano on art. 

Although, I doubt Hardman would stay on for long. That's about it though, the rest don't look mega exciting.

Some of that seems like wishing .

Though some of that is probably true. ( shazam,titans)

Plastic man had been in the works for years .

Also ell yes question book

tim1138

If those are actually real, I'm in for Shazam, Booster Gold, Others, the Question, and MMH and I'd take a flier on the rest of it. Seems like someones wish list though, so I'm not exactly letting myself get hyped.

That said, Bennett taking over Babsgirl wouldn't surprise me, it's probably time for new blood on that book.

There's a lot I like on that list of DC announcements but if Manhke's drawing SHAZAM it needs to be far better than his Trinity War stuff.

Is it worth tracking down a copy? I ordered a copy from HeavyInk, but those fucking cunts decided it was out of stock AFTER they'd already sent me an order confirmation. Midtown still has it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom