• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conor Mcgregor mentions Rocky III "dancing monkeys"; says meant circus-like celeb gym

Prompto

Banned
All he had to do was keep his mouth shut for one month and he'd be going into the biggest fight in years as the good guy. Racist moron.
This probably won't even change anything sadly. Pacquiao was a homophobic piece of shit and people still viewed him as the "good guy".

Nabs

Fuck this guy.

I'm just impressed by the fact that there's no racism in Canada. Wasn't there a story about a woman demanding her son be seen by a white doctor not too long ago?

eLYQitT.gif

jwhit28

Boxing was a mistake. Even if the boxers don't treat prematch like a WWE sideshow, the judges will make sure any legitimacy is erased by the end.

Mayweather shadowboxes on stage. Conor says "Dance for me, boy!" Which he immediately follows up with "Dance for me, son!"

Then immediately after the conference he's asked about Rocky 3 and says "That was the one with the dancing monkeys in the gym?"

That's pretty damming evidence of his racism to me. Don't care how anyone justifies his use of boy during the conference.

I was actually surprised how personal the attacks were on the conferences. saying "Fuck The Mayweathers" when his daughters was like right there caught me off guard. I know the media circus is to hype this ridiculous fight but it's really not a good look for boxing as a sport. Shit is backyard wrestling levels of personal attacks.

JettDash

Floyd is a piece of shit. And black. So it is OK to root for white pieces of shit over him.

For the record, I'm not really rooting for either of them. Though I do think that those who think Conor will win are very delusional.

darscot

Weird, a few of my Canadian friends all who are black said it was racist as fuck. I guess they didn't get the memo that Canada doesn't really have racism.

Obviously they would be more aware of such issues. Man why does everyone have to be so extreme. His words did not make me think of that scene. Clearly it does for many people.

We have issues of course but not at the same level. It's not so prevalent or historic, we don't have same imagery. I can totally understand why his words are offensive, I'm not trying to justify what he said. Just for me those words and images don't connect.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/canadian-military-systemic-racism-class-action-suit-1.3909258

Three former members of the Canadian Forces have filed a proposed class action lawsuit claiming "systemic racial discrimination and harassment" during their service, detailing how derogatory slurs and threats of violence against them were either ignored or tolerated by their superiors.

Robillard served in the reserve force in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia "without incident," but "everything changed" when he transferred to the regular force in 2005, the claim detailed.

While posted at CFB Winnipeg, his unit went on a training exercise at a United States air force base in Greenland. After raising concerns about "rampant" alcohol abuse by members of his unit and how that could tarnish Canada's reputation, "Robillard was subjected to a persistent stream of racially-motivated harassment, discrimination and bullying by other members," the claim detailed.

When the unit returned to Winnipeg he was routinely referred to as "the n---er," and called "useless" and "stupid" by other members, the claim detailed. When he reported the harassment to his superior, he was told to just punch the offending member out, the claim said. Even after reporting a racially-motivated physical assault, no action was taken, the claim said.

After he reported that other members put a sticker on the back of his vehicle that said, "F--- me, I'm gay," his commanding officer called a section meeting to tell the members to "knock it off," the claim detailed.

When the devastating earthquake hit Haiti in January 2010 — the whereabouts of his mother were initially unknown but she was eventually found alive — he joined the relief effort but disrimination continued abroad, the claim detailed.

After asking for advice to help his mother immigrate to Canada, Robillard overhead a captain say he would "never help out that monkey and his foul mother" and that Canadians had "done enough for these n---ers," the claim detailed. The captain also called them both "porch monkeys," the claim said.

Robillard was diagnosed with severe post-traumatic stress disorder and major depressive episodes, the claim detailed.

He was released from the Canadian Forces in July 2012 after being found "unsuitable for further services" and an "administrative burden," which limited his future job options, the claim said.

Pretty sure "monkey" is fairly universal.

I was actually surprised how personal the attacks were on the conferences. saying "Fuck The Mayweathers" when his daughters was like right there caught me off guard. I know the media circus is to hype this ridiculous fight but it's really not a good look for boxing as a sport. Shit is backyard wrestling levels of personal attacks.

Thats on Mayweather for having his daughters on stage, that was just silly.

Lord, it's one thing to say that him saying "dance for me, boy" isn't racist because he's Irish, but to come out and defend this shit him of referring to black people as monkeys is beyond stupid. Calling black monkeys has always been a racial insult, no matter what country a person hails from

Man dont defend Ali over the shit he said to Fraiser. It's fucked up not only on a racial level but knowing the history between the two its even worse. Let's not forget Ali never really apologized for that shit either.

I am not defending shit. I'm providing context. If dating a white woman can get you called a coon today, just imagine how Ali saw Frazier. It was stupid of him, but I can still understand and disagree with his reasoning at the same time.

I do believe Ali apologised later in life, but that's irrelevant to me. The only person that's relevant to was Frazier.

This is beside the point. There is far greater context to Ali's fuckery. Conor has no reason to be talking the way he is.

People actually okaying this as talking shit and fabricated drama?

Jesus Christ.

It is shit talking and fabricated drama, but that doesn't mean it's not incredibly insensitive and racist. They aren't mutually exclusive. Agreed that it doesn't excuse it one bit. Conor needs to check himself, or be checked, with this bullshit.

Don't think you can pass this off as a cultural thing either. A quick google search shows that there have been multiple instances and issues of racism with relates to Irish football/soccer, specifically with black players being berated wirh monkey chants.

akileese

and there it is.
inb4: "it just shit talking guys! its part of the sport!"

Oh it's definitely shit talking and he's definitely a massive fucking racist. The two aren't mutually exclusive. It's not the first time he's said this shit nor will it be the last. The only reason it's getting so much attention is because of the stage it's on.

Catvoca

Banned
McGregor has said some racist ass shit in the past, not surprised.

Pikey needs to get paid. It's all about promoting the fight and stirring the shitpot as much as possible.

Dude says something racist so you attack him with another derogatory slur? Fuck outta here.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I am not defending shit. I'm providing context. If dating a white woman can get you called a coon today, just imagine how Ali saw Frazier. It was stupid of him, but I can still understand and disagree with his reasoning at the same time.

I do believe Ali apologised later in life, but that's irrelevant to me. The only person that's relevant to was Frazier.

This is beside the point. There is far greater context to Ali's fuckery. Conor has no reason to be talking the way he is.

Just pointing out that Ali made up all that shit about Fraiser and the white man. He did the same shit to Foreman to a lesser degree.

When it comes to combat sports, follow the sport not the fighters.

Most of them will disappoint you with their personal views and or actions outside of the ring/octagon.

I have no idea what people see in this arrogant gobshite. I hope Mayweather punishes him for 12 rounds and he learns a bit of humility.

Kusagari

I wouldn't be surprised if Conor and Floyd were intentionally playing up the "White vs. black" dynamic in the fight.

They both know the score in this country and know that will get people more invested; like it or not.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Man dont defend Ali over the shit he said to Fraiser. It's fucked up not only on a racial level but knowing the history between the two its even worse. Let's not forget Ali never really apologized for that shit either.

I feel a little less bad about it after hearing Frazier talk about why it didn't bother him as much later.
It basically boiled down to "Yeah, he really hurt my feelings but I turned him into a retard so it all balances out."

akira28

He didnt just call Mayweather a boy on tuesday. He followed up with the same line on Wednesday. People here have defended it as a "Europeans dont know the connotation" thing but he knows exactly what he is doing.

come on now, Europeans don't know better? Then how come they came over here knowing the word nigger better than the word negro? Racism was like space travel back then, exciting technology that helped get shit done.

LotusHD

Banned
He didnt just call Mayweather a boy on tuesday. He followed up with the same line on Wednesday. People here have defended it as a "Europeans dont know the connotation" thing but he knows exactly what he is doing.

Tired of people acting like only Americans know about shit like this

Boy is a very common word irish use among themselves. It's not meant as derogatory whatsoever. It's everyday vernacular in Ireland.

The monkey comment? Yeah theres no defending that shit

Mahonay

Banned
I have no idea what people see in this arrogant gobshite. I hope Mayweather punishes him for 12 rounds and he learns a bit of humility.
To be fair, Mayweather is an absolute piece of shit himself. Threre's not really a good guy to root for in the fight.

Doran902

Jesus, that's some old school racism right there what a tool.

The women beater vs the racist, fight of the century......99.99 in HD.

Vire

Surprise, Mayweather is also a racist piece of gobshite:

“As soon as we come off vacation, we’re going to cook that little yellow chump … Once I kick the midget ass, I don’t want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now ... Once I stomp the midget, I’ll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice … we’re going to cook him with some cats and dogs.” - on Pacquiao

Top Bottom