• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

console gaming on ultrawide 120hz

Banned
the PS5 doesn't even support very widely adopted resolutions like 1440p... so what makes you think buying an ultrawide for your PS5 is a good idea? lol

so if that ultrawide doesn't support 2160p signals, you gonna play at 1080p with black borders on the side (most ultrawides on the market last time I looked had a vertical res or 1080 or 1440 pixels, on both the PS5 would only be able to output a 1080p image, some rare ones accept 2160p signals that they then down sample but as I said, these are rare)

Last edited:
There is no way OP don't know that consoles don't support UW when they posted this. Plus, look at the username. This is a troll attempt. Has to be. No way someone would just order that monitor without simply googling and seeing that consoles don't support UW and that PS5 doesn't do 1440p. No way. Watch.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is there any console game that supports ultrawide? If not you'll have to stretch the image or get black borders.
Most PC games don't even support Ultrawide

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
At this point in time, seems more do than don't. Even the handful that don't, almost always a quick .ini adjustment to fix.
For new games getting released, sure

Ill Allow It Spanish GIF

old-parts

just ordered a 43" for p5, in anticipation for gt7... thoughts to follow on arrival and testing, wbu? do you like em wide or slim :p

Why ???

A Playstation can only do 1080p on ultrawide display, its not going to look good and your going to have very large borders around the image.

Cancel the purchase while you still can.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Daft decision mate, sorry. Should have just gone for an IPS or if you were feeling adventurous, a curved VA.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
The console supports only 16:9 ratio, at either 4K or FHD output. Cancel the order if you still can and get a proper 16:9 4K display.

Op if its solely for ps5 return this monitor, you are making expensive mistake here.
nope , it will always come in handy , and for the price i paid , i am happy, i know it will come in handy as a pc monitor also when i get rig case in future, but tbh it is purely for p5 for time being.

i see ppl saying waste of money , if it wasn't being used , or useless , i could get that,.... the truth is , i ain't rich , but , fk money , live and learn. gamerzlifezmatta

8BiTw0LF

Banned
i think i could get used to it .... am always stoned anyway lmao.
lol, you do you dude. I can only state my opinion on stretched images. I'm looking forward to play GT7 on Eve Spectrum 27" (HDMI 2.1, 4K, 120hz, VRR, HDR, Integer Scaling) tested and firmware optimized by Blur Busters - and I think that costs around the same as that 43" - but if you're more into stretched (1080p) 21:9, there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise.

GHG

You have two choices OP, return the monitor or sell the console and get a PC to use with the console.

There's no ultra wide support on consoles, complete waste of time and money.

You have two choices OP, return the monitor or sell the console and get a PC to use with the console.

There's no ultra wide support on consoles, complete waste of time
a drop in res will keep the scene to the same aspect ratio, in a wide form, just need to see what it looks like, i imagine a p5 game at 1080p still looks very very good.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
a drop in res will keep the scene to the same aspect ratio, in a wide form, just need to see what it looks like, i imagine a p5 game at 1080p still looks very very good.
Let's look at PPI (Pixels Per Inch).
The 43" monitor:
hv57L9v.png

86.73 PPI - Around the same image as a 4K 55"

But...
The PS5 resolution:
pks7i4P.png

51.23 PPI.. That's under half of the perfect pixel ratio of 110 PPI. - And it's stretched pixels, so even worse than 51.23 PPI.

GT7 will look like absolute trash on that monitor.

Last edited:
Most PC games don't even support Ultrawide
think you can make them run in ultra wide though ,
Let's look at PPI (Pixels Per Inch).
The 43" monitor:
hv57L9v.png

86.73 PPI - Around the same image as a 4K 55"

But...
The PS5 resolution:
pks7i4P.png

51.23 PPI.. That's under half of the perfect pixel ratio of 110 PPI.

GT7 will look like absolute trash on that monitor.
mathematically speaking , blackholes shouldn't exist , i'll wait and see what my eyes think of my crystal widescreen.

I have an Ultrawide monitor, and I'll be honest the black bars annoy me enough, that if a game doesn't support Ultrawide natively or can't be manually adjusted to fix it, I most likely won't even play it. The stretch/zoom feels off whenever you want you try that option too.

Granted, it's been a few years since it's been a problem, just about every game released supports 21:9, problem is, the consoles don't. Even then, I'd bet XSX will support it before PS5 will IF that ever were to happen, which is probably still unlikely.

Good thing you said you plan on playing PC in the future I guess. Though, unless you bought it second hand, I'd just return it and save money up for a nice tv if possible.

I have an Ultrawide monitor, and I'll be honest the black bars annoy me enough, that if a game doesn't support Ultrawide natively or can't be manually adjusted to fix it, I most likely won't even play it. The stretch/zoom feels off whenever you want you try that option too.

Granted, it's been a few years since it's been a problem, just about every game released supports 21:9, problem is, the consoles don't. Even then, I'd bet XSX will support it before PS5 will IF that ever were to happen, which is probably still unlikely.

Good thing you said you plan on playing PC in the future I guess. Though, unless you bought it second hand, I'd just return it and save money up for a nice tv if possible.
the great point is , what you made in your appreciated input , most games support it.
that is all that really matters.

most consoles , likes pcs , can be upgraded os with firmware., and dismisses , waste of money , immediately.

Last edited:
Dude, I'm simply stating facts - and try to help you..
What did you expect from this topic? People gathering around and praising your purchase?
Probably should have chosen another forum - like Home | Donkey Forum (proboards.com)
helping , helping is lifting the tv on stand with me, listen , why do blackholes exist? and why does the earth not spin one bit??

buckaroo anyone?

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
lets not waste time saying that , hope i am impressed , fk the rest lol.
I'm not sure why you started this thread, many people have told you it's a bad idea and you're being combative with them. The answer is a consensus here: you won't have a great time with an ultrawidescreen monitor on the PS5

Last edited:
Top Bottom