• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Sony forget this...?

Remember back in launch days... All that Xbox vs PS bs. People capping for MS and shit, ok.

Somewhere among the wars, was the info that PS5 HDMI bandwith was limited compared to Xbox. It was true, but someone was saying Sony were going to update the software to remove that limit, just like they patched VRR in.

Basically Sony for some reason limited It to 32gbps, which can make games running at a resolution above 1080p when at 120hz not be able to access the full color bandwith on your TV because they use more than 32gbps.

This is sooo important for games. 4:4:4 is so much better than your regular 4:2:2. It is so different, sharper, more colourful that anyone that can't notice the difference needs an eye test. They say 4:4:4 only makes a difference on text and the rest is unnoticeable, they can suck a dik THO, talking shit like that.

4:2:2 HDR looks like It has a really subtle green/blue filter or haze above your picture. It's really really subtle but then you see 4:4:4 it becomes so noticeable... The important thing though, 4:4:4 is just so much sharper - in GT7, every single car model looks much better as you can see more of the panels, lines and whatnot. That, plus every single color looking like they have the same importance to the picture - it makes for a much much better looking game. Also 4:2:2 is a bit more washed out.

So at 4:2:2 you lose:
+++ Sharpness
++ Colors
+ Contrast (very slight difference)

HERE'S THE WACKNESS

I've been PC MODE on my C1 because of this, enabling full color bandwith, but then for games running at 120hz, the PS5 limits itself. I've started playing GhostWire Tokyo and thought the game looks really good in the HFR Quality Mode, but VRR above 60fps and higher res goes to 4:2:2 automatically, because the console is limited.

Is it really software? This is a very important difference, makes any game look instantly better.

I know Xbox does 40gbps, doesn't have this problem at all.

What gives wit it? Waiting for the PS5 Pro? The fuck they forgot this for, 4:2:2 is kinda garbage, it's pretty playable, but after 4:4:4 goodness, we aint tryna see no blue/green filter fucking the picture up. Give me my colour contrast Sony come on

Also, any workaround to playing at full color at 120hz?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Remember back in launch days... All that Xbox vs PS bs. People capping for MS and shit, ok.

Somewhere among the wars, was the info that PS5 HDMI bandwith was limited compared to Xbox. It was true, but someone was saying Sony were going to update the software to remove that limit, just like they patched VRR in.

Basically Sony for some reason limited It to 32gbps, which can make games running at a resolution above 1080p when at 120hz not be able to access the full color bandwith on your TV because they use more than 32gbps.

This is sooo important for games. 4:4:4 is so much better than your regular 4:2:2. It is so different, sharper, more colourful that anyone that can't notice the difference needs an eye test. They say 4:4:4 only makes a difference on text and the rest is unnoticeable, they can suck a dik THO, talking shit like that.

4:2:2 HDR looks like It has a really subtle green/blue filter or haze above your picture. It's really really subtle but then you see 4:4:4 it becomes so noticeable... The important thing though, 4:4:4 is just so much sharper - in GT7, every single car model looks much better as you can see more of the panels, lines and whatnot. That, plus every single color looking like they have the same importance to the picture - it makes for a much much better looking game. Also 4:2:2 is a bit more washed out.

So at 4:2:2 you lose:
+++ Sharpness
++ Colors
+ Contrast (very slight difference)

HERE'S THE WACKNESS

I've been PC MODE on my C1 because of this, enabling full color bandwith, but then for games running at 120hz, the PS5 limits itself. I've started playing GhostWire Tokyo and thought the game looks really good in the HFR Quality Mode, but VRR above 60fps and higher res goes to 4:2:2 automatically, because the console is limited.

Is it really software? This is a very important difference, makes any game look instantly better.

I know Xbox does 40gbps, doesn't have this problem at all.

What gives wit it? Waiting for the PS5 Pro? The fuck they forgot this for, 4:2:2 is kinda garbage, it's pretty playable, but after 4:4:4 goodness, we aint tryna see no blue/green filter fucking the picture up. Give me my colour contrast Sony come on

Also, any workaround to playing at full color at 120hz?
Hmm I am getting 36GB's with my PS5 and computer that's set to 12bit/RGB/4K/240.

Hmm I am getting 36GB's with my PS5 and computer that's set to 12bit/RGB/4K/240.
Really how? I understand the console is limited to 32gbps...
Last video I saw was one from HDTVTest from july 2023

It sucks imo. 4K60 is the max 4:4:4 it supports. Again, not really a big problem, but for games like VRR Unlocked First Parties, Deathloop etc.. it looks worse than the regular modes

ZoukGalaxy

Good Night GIF

S0ULZB0URNE

Really how? I understand the console is limited to 32gbps...
Last video I saw was one from HDTVTest from july 2023

It sucks imo. 4K60 is the max 4:4:4 it supports. Again, not really a big problem, but for games like VRR Unlocked First Parties, Deathloop etc.. it looks worse than the regular modes
It says 36GB/s for me.

Any comparison?
I thought about it. But, how?

It's something really subtle but at the same time, for a trained eye, really noticeable. And I can't know in what screen people will see it, so I didn't bother.

Thing is, it's only in 120hz modes Including the 40fps quality modes unfortunately.

I replayed Uncharted 4 on the PS5, quality mode running unlocked, but because it was on the VRR window, it defaults to YCBCR422, and not full RGB 10b. It looks greenier for sure.

Look at this for cold facts:

For color differences, I think one could try it on their own TV: Change the TV mode from console to PC mode, at 4k60hz, the PS5 will support full 4:4:4, it only falters on VRR and 120hz. This is not a concern thread as I have sold my XSX back in 2020, I much prefer Playstation since always but this is garbage from Sony, just a really odd decision. Hope PRO fixes it

It's about HDR, I think only HDR goes above 32gbps at 4k 120, so it goes 4:2:2

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
It was my understanding it was hardware limited to 40gbps and software limited to 32gbps..

I really hope Pro is full HDMI 2.1b 48Gbps.

Frankly the entire industry has been a complete shitshow when it comes to HDMI 2.1. Five years of going round the houses and we still have manufacturers half-arsing devices.

HDMI 2.1 should mean 2.1, no half-measures or outs for manufacturers to cut corners. A standard should be a standard, not a bunch of tiers that aren't easily conveyed to the average customer.

Top Bottom