• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cooking GAF: OT

nush

s9k5Mxy.jpg
I see you're ready to chow down with your kiddie chopsticks.

Tschumi

For those of y'all who want a high in grease option..

Chicken with chorizo and fetta

Chop up a breast of chicken, the thinner the better but keep the cross section close to square, not long strips.

Chop up an onion and a few cloves of garlic (the more the merrier, i personally love the stuff so i use heaps), then slice a raw (this is how you know chorizo from salami: it's raw and the good stuff is squishy - the redder the sausage is - from paprika - the better) chorizo into angled slices - to increase surface area.

Cut a 10x1x3cm portion of strong fetta - i prefer danish - into 1cm cubes..

Put the chorizo in a pan with the onion and garlic. Use a tiny bit of oil just to make sure nothing burns to the surface, but heat it on low until the chorizo releases its own oils and flavours (a nice orange-red oil, ideally, and an amazing aroma) don't allow that oil to burn off.

Put in the chicken, stir it up, then cut the heat and leave the whole mix to sit and marinate for 15 minutes.

Get the heat back on, get the chicken cooked through them add in the fetta, stir it through, have it partially melt.

That's it, serve with toast or spaghetti and a seriously healthy salad and, like, veggie smoothie combo to make up for the ridiculously unhealthy main dish.

Edit: if, like me, you can't imagine something like this without some chilies in it, add them at the first stage with the chorizo, onion and garlic.

Bonus: israeli raw salad

Easy. Micro-cube a cucumber, garlic, a tomato and a red onion. Micro-cube some more fetta. Stir it up, drain it to get rid of excess sogginess. Eat as is. Goes really well with pita bread and that traditional hummus and tahini paste plate, with and olive oil drizzled over the dips.

Last edited:

Raven117

I’d say I’m amateur but ambitious? I really enjoy Asian recipes in particular and Hello Fresh fresh helped me level up my Latin and Italian game. Really interested in Spanish and French particularly home style: I can do complicated if I have time but go to weekly meals is where I’m looking to grow and not get bored.
Nice! Okay, I think I got some ideas for you. (This is more of a weekend one).

Why not try a Piperade? Its a peasant dish from the Basque area of Spain (heavy French influence). Its mostly onions, bell peppers, tomatoes cooked down. This is very close to a Middle Eastern Shashuka. Usually served with an egg or maybe a bit of ham. A piece of toast to help sop up the tomato mixture.

There are a ton of recipes for this, but this one could be good and is relatively a simple version. (But do some research and find some you think you might like). (You can roast the bell peppers and skin them (intermediate level). I wouldn't skin the tomatoes (this recipe calls for canned, and honestly, canned tomatoes are often more flavor full than the unripe bland ones you get at the average grocery store...so you can just play with it.

As for Asian, that is admittedly a new frountier for me. But I made this the other day, and damn....my mouth is watering just thinking about it. You can try grilling the chicken thighs on your grill! Im not saying this is all super authentic, but it may get you acquainted with some of those flavors.

Last edited:

Peggies

Gold Member
Austrian Pastabake (aka "Schinkenfleckerl)

It's a little bit like Mac n' cheese, only we use little squared Pasta ("Fleckerl") instead of Macheroni and no Bechamelsauce and traditionally it's with ham ("Schinken") which I leave off.

Mix the cooked Pasta with browned onion, sourcream, good cheese (I use a mix of Emmentaler, Gouda and Parmesan) and eggs - the proportion of eggs and sourcream can be adapted. If you want it creamy use more sourcream.
Then it's baked in the oven and comes out crispy on the top and creamy inside. I love it!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Every once in a while, I do a perogies + bangers + beans in a pan.

Cheap meal
- Sausages (butcher style), get from grocery store for about $1 each
- Bag or box of frozen perogies $3 (enough for probably 3 meals)
- Can of beans $1 (enough for 2 meals)
- An onion
- Estimated cost $4 --> 2 sausages ($2), partial box of perogies ($1), half can of baked beans ($0.50). If you buy fancier brands, maybe $6 tops

Ingredients
- Defrost 6-7 frozen perogies on the counter so they are soft (maybe an hour)
- Defrost 2 big frozen sausages in water so they are soft. Or they are ready to go fresh even better
- Cut up a third of an onion into rings (put on the side)
- Open up a can of beans (not the gross maple kind), drain out some of the excess liquid and pour half of the can in a bowl (put on the side). Or kill two birds and put the beans into a small plastic container, where the leftovers go into the fridge
- Sour cream, chili pepper flakes, pepper

Cooking
- When pan frying sausages, never set the temp too high or it'll burn fast and the juice inside will burst the casing. As soon as the oil is hot, turn down the temp to around medium and add sausages. You don't need a lot of oil since its sausage
- Also, it helps to have a big plastic splatter-proof mesh lid

1. Start pan cooking sausages first (they take longer than perogies)
2. At some point, start adding the perogies. Probably won't even need extra oil. If so, just a bit works. If you got a decent sized pan, they should all fit. I'm trying to time it so it's all done cooking at the same time
3. Near the end, add the onions. Never add them too early or they'll burn
4. At this time, also sprinkle some chili flakes in, start mixing it all around so the flakes are on everything
5. Soon after, it's all cooked
6. Set aside the perogies and onions on a plate (they are done)
7. Add the beans to the pan and it should only take a few minutes to boil and bubble with your sausages. You want to make sure the beans aren't too watery (that's why I said drain some liquid) because when you heat up beans it gets naturally more loose and liquidy as opposed to the thick hunk in a can
8. When sausages and beans are done, pour it all beside your perogies
9. Add some pepper and a splotch of sour cream on the side. If it's not hot enough, add a bit of hot sauce

Last edited:

nush

That's the thingy with minced meat and mashed potatoes, right?
I wonder if you could use soy granules instead :unsure:.

Hope you have a lovely dinner!
That's the one. I'm sure soy granules would work if you had a suitable gravy substitute.

TylerD

RE: all the pizza related posts earlier in this thread:

Best and easiest method for homemade pizza is making pan pizza in a cast iron or non-stick skillet Adam Ragusea has a video for each. For traditional pies, I have a Baking Steel and can get some really good results with it being pre-heated by my broiler for 25-30 mins in combination with my oven at 550 but the pan pizza method is just so easy. Make some dough, refrigerate for 72 hrs and make a couple. Freeze several dough balls for a later date.

MrMephistoX

Threw this together...garlic, olive oil, anchovies paste,shallots, parsley, sun dried tomatoes...splash of white wine. Pro tip I learned recently: save a cup of pasta water then add to those ingredients stir fried while the pasta cooks. Finally mix them all in the sauce pan after draining the pasta.

It called for pancetta but I only had prosciutto and I think it could be totally peace-vegetarian without meat.
WDbKJDS.jpg

Last edited:

MrMephistoX

Tomato and Egg, the godlike Asian food combo. Try it!

Yes! This stuff rules. If you’re at all interested and can figure out the Mandarin Chinese Tiktok or Douyin is full of awesome recipes. Here it all seems to be stupid memes and dances but I used my in-laws Chinese iCloud to sign in and get it and it works in the US without a VPN.

Curious if this link works? If so I’ll share more:

https://v.douyin.com/JcNGgkV/

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Forgot to post this go to:

Eggs and Tomato Noodle Soup

Garlic, Shallot Sauce, Lite Soy Sauce, Chicken MSG powder + Water for the Stock. Crack an egg last minute: this is what my picky eater daughter had.
hwDznGF.jpg

EDIT: why are all my photos showing up rotated when I resize?
I have to crop pics I take with my phone or they show up rotated

nush

Yes! This stuff rules. If you’re at all interested and can figure out the Mandarin Chinese Tiktok or Douyin is full of awesome recipes. Here it all seems to be stupid memes and dances but I used my in-laws Chinese iCloud to sign in and get it and it works in the US without a VPN.

Curious if this link works? If so I’ll share more:

https://v.douyin.com/JcNGgkV/

Link works, my mandarin is not high level but I know what I'm looking at. At least I know I can easily get the ingredients here even in the ghetto supermarket.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
This year, I made a commitment to my wife and to myself to cook. To eat better, and despite some appearances, healthier. Less grab-and-go heat up meals from the market for example.

Some of the more highly veggie based dishes weren't something I'd repeat, but others I would. The first image which was chicken mozzarella, the third which was chicken with creamy spinach casserole, the sixth which was an antipasto stuffed chicken, and the seventh which was pork chops with a creamy brown mushroom sauce were just really really good. I'd repeat these recipes. I'll share more over time if people like what they see, and recipes for them if people want.

EsvkOHrW4AIs9kX
EsvkW5RWMAInrrF
Esvkdy9XMAIThS0

EsvklgVW8AAM8WF
EsvodFGXcAUiSa8
Esvols3XIAc60XV
EsvohO3W8AYAAhm

Raven117

Threw this together...garlic, olive oil, anchovies paste,shallots, parsley, sun dried tomatoes...splash of white wine. Pro tip I learned recently: save a cup of pasta water then add to those ingredients stir fried while the pasta cooks. Finally mix them all in the sauce pan after draining the pasta.

It called for pancetta but I only had prosciutto and I think it could be totally peace-vegetarian without meat.
WDbKJDS.jpg
Heavily salt the water before you cook the noodles. "Salty like the sea" is what the italians call it.

I wouldn't use a cup of pasta water, but instead you just enough to pull your pan sauce together.

In any event, its looking good! Thanks for posting!

MrMephistoX

Heavily salt the water before you cook the noodles. "Salty like the sea" is what the italians call it.

I wouldn't use a cup of pasta water, but instead you just enough to pull your pan sauce together.

In any event, its looking good! Thanks for posting!
Good tip I salted this dish too but between the prosciutto, anchovy paste, salted pasta water and Parmesan I didn’t feel like I needed added salt: next time I’m not adding salt at all aside from the pasta water.

Last edited:

Raven117

Good tip I salted this dish too but between the prosciutto, anchovy paste, salted pasta water and Parmesan I didn’t feel like I needed added salt: next time I’m not adding salt at all aside from the pasta water.
You are totally right. There was alot of salt already.

I tend to not salt much other than the water, then add salt as needed. That prosciutto and anchovy paste is going to be plenty salty.

You are definitely further along than some beginner.

nush

This year, I made a commitment to my wife and to myself to cook. To eat better, and despite some appearances, healthier. Less grab-and-go heat up meals from the market for example.

Some of the more highly veggie based dishes weren't something I'd repeat, but others I would. The first image which was chicken mozzarella, the third which was chicken with creamy spinach casserole, the sixth which was an antipasto stuffed chicken, and the seventh which was pork chops with a creamy brown mushroom sauce were just really really good. I'd repeat these recipes. I'll share more over time if people like what they see, and recipes for them if people want.

EsvkOHrW4AIs9kX
EsvkW5RWMAInrrF
Esvkdy9XMAIThS0

EsvklgVW8AAM8WF
EsvodFGXcAUiSa8
Esvols3XIAc60XV
EsvohO3W8AYAAhm

Turn off the flash next time, all these pictures are washed out.

MrMephistoX

ygBhsov.jpg

Cobb salad. Just raw vegtables and cold meats arranged in a pleasing way. Great for getting kids to eat fresh veg, for parties BBQ's etc. Zero skill involved other than finely chopping the veg. Whatever sauces or dip you want to go with it.
Delicious looking! I saw something like this on Reddit today too.

Top Bottom